Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cisco AM10 Valet Connector USB Wireless Adapter
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on April 26, 2010
My goal was to connect my new desktop (running Windows 7) to my existing wireless network.

What I liked:

1. It worked - not to set the bar too low, but this was the second adapter I tried. So I was elated that this actually worked.
2. Ease of setup - no extra discs, just plug it into a USB port and the necessary drivers (and the actual Win7 drivers, which it seems most adapters on the market do not have pre-packaged) are right in the adapter itself. Though this was not perfect - see below.
3. The design is attractive and convenient with a built-in stand.
4. Speed seems good - no issues so far.

What I did not like - the setup software that comes with the device wants to be the controller for your network. After downloading the drivers it did not want the password for my network, but rather the Hexidecimal password. After shutting that part of the installer down I just used the wireless network function within Windows itself to locate and join my existing network. A minor issue at best.

My needs are simple, so I cannot say if this will be good for more complex situations/ needs, but it works and I'm happy.
77 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2011
It works just fine and the price here was the same as Woot.com the day I bought it.

This guy does a neat trick I've been expecting some device to do for years, but this is the first one I've seen:
It's a multi-function USB device.
When you plug it in, it appears to your computer twice: once as a wifi adapter and also as a USB mass storage device ("thumbdrive") WITH DRIVERS ON IT.
Surely there aren't drivers for every single OS ever made and ever to be made, but I'm sure the popular ones are covered. The WinXP ones were there for me. Not sure what else is.
So, in addition to being wifi adapter, it's also a USB mass storage device.
You could use it as a thumb drive. It doesn't hold a ton though. Seems like there's about 1-2 GB free.
So, no need for a disk with the drivers and no need to get drivers from the Internet (which can be hard it you're replacing another broken network adapter which is surely a popular reason for buying this).
on October 22, 2011
it works, and the extension cord is nice, but the adapter gets hot after a while. I got this to replace my tp link adapter because the item description where i bought it said it was 300 mbps which was twice that of the tp link adapter, so i thought it meant it was faster and better. but really they're about the same, except when the cisco adapter got really hot i had no connection and had to take it off the extension cable and put it back on. i get 2/3 bars with the cisco vs 3/4 bars with my tp link adapter (without a usb extension). the bad thing about the included usb extension is that it's shaped so that it'll only fit the cisco adapter. i wish it didnt have the walls so i could use it for my other usb devices, especially because i only have two usb ports in the front of my tower. anyway, i don't recommend this to anyone at retail price. i got it for about $6 +$5 shipping brand new from woot, but it's not really worth it, considering how hot it gets relatively quickly and doesn't pick up signal as well as other wireless adapters i've used. it looks pretty though
on April 9, 2015
I am not a 'techie' type of person so I deliberately looked for a wireless adapter that I can use for my home computer as well as an old laptop. The AM10 works perfectly for both. Additionally, the drivers for the AM10 are on the device itself so when you plug it into your computer you can just access the driver install via 'My Computer' and by clicking on the device itself.

Other thoughts:
1. Device gets hot. I have bought several of them and have used them constantly for over 1+ yrs. and none of them have ever failed me.
2. Device is kind of big. It will easily fit into an open USB port in the back of your computer but it may block other surrounding USB ports. I recommend using the USB extension cable/base station that comes with it.
3. Using WPA2 it is a constant 270 ~ 300 Mbps which is awesome, but I think it only uses 2.4 Ghz. I have a dual-band router and when I disable 2.5 and just use the 5.0 Ghz then this device cannot see that network. I am probably doing something wrong, but in case I am not then fair warning.
on March 1, 2014
Connected and came up with install (like a thumb drive). Tried to install and install failed. Restarted PC and tried again with same result. Called Cisco and they told me it was out of warranty so they would have to charge me for support. Eventually it just started working for a day, then just stopped working and never came back up. I am an IT guy and can usually fix most things. Drivers are fine, PC is top of the line with no other errors. Error log is clean.
on December 12, 2013
Purchased these to replace Rosewill's Wireless N USB adapter (Model# RNX-N180UBE). I had one in each of my childrens' computers, and every day when they would connect, it would kill my internet at the router level forcing me to reboot the router. I had it narrowed down to when these machines would be booted up and connected to my network. After manually setting the settings on each Windows 7 machine, setting manual DNS in the router with reservations, and restructuring my entire network (it's quite complex...modem > Airport router *serves wifi* > switch *for extra wired connections* & Netgear router running Tomato VPN firmware *for secure connections through a VPN*...that's just my "backbone")...it still was not working. I attempted the Rosewills in another machine, and lo and behold...killed network.

I had read good reviews on the Cisco AM10 on Amazon, Newegg, TechDirt, etc., and found it was even utilized in a corporate environment with good stability. Ever since I used these on my network, I have had 0 disconnects or router reboots without any manual setup (I reverted to automatic settings just to see). So....Cisco....you've never let me down in your corporate products, and I can sing the praises of your cheapo residential products as well!

Good show!

*Sidenote* I use WPA2 Personal/Enterprise
on December 4, 2014
Product arrived and looked very attractive so I hooked it up to a new Lenovo desktop computer. Set-up was just plug and play ...nothing to it, and I got a strong signal since the receiver was only 15 feet from my router. Having now used this product for a week, I find that the signal is great when connected but that it periodically drops the connection unlike any of the other 5 devices I use on this router. After fiddling around unsuccessfully in Network Connections of Windows 7, I tried unplugging the small USB receiver from its cradle and plugging it back in. This worked to reset the device but in doing this I discovered that the receiver was rather warm. In monitoring this I find that most of the time it is not at all warm, but then heats up when I am on the internet and drops the connection. This leaves me with safety concerns about the device getting hotter. I will try and phone Cisco, but am not happy with the purchase in view of this problem.

Update: The manufacturer's customer service said they are no longer making the item and told me to call the seller which I did. They were very helpful and said they would send out a replacement today! So when it arrives I will hook that up, and revise my rating accordingly (hopefully raising it from the 2 stars I initially gave it).
on April 29, 2013
I'm running Windows 7, but when I spoke with Linksys tech support, they said it really wasn't for Windows 7, and besides it's obsolete and ineligible for tech support. Then they tried to sell me a $30 adapter. Well, this works for an hour and a half first thing in the day, but once it's gotten hot it takes quite a while to cool off. Despite being given an hour to cool off, and feeling cool to the touch, it gave me only a few minutes of connection before heating to the point where it wouldn't maintain a connection. (All this was done using the extension cable. Right now it's plugged directly into my desktop, where it's getting warm, so I'm not sure how long I'll have a connection.) Most recently, I refrigerated it to cool it off faster and more thoroughly, and it seems to be giving me more time connected. Obviously, I will have to replace this sooner rather than later!

Edited May 19, 2013: I no longer even try to use the extension, and now get a pretty consistent signal. I originally gave this two stars, but have increased it to three, as it works pretty consistently, although as others have noted, it gets hot and then doesn't work as well.
on April 12, 2014
This works fine now, but I'm taking away 2 stars because I spent two hours trying to get it to work. I finally went to the website and found that there's a set-up.exe file on a built in flash drive. This PC was set up for a different Cisco/Linksys adapter so I expected just a "Plug&Play" set up. No so. You must install the software. In XP, open up My Computer, find the Valet, right click, open, then double-click on set-up.exe.

I can't believe they didn't include these simple instructions/info in the box!
on April 7, 2013
I ordered this without doing too much research, figured Cisco is a good brand and should work right out of the box with my XBMC OpenELEC Apple TV. Turns out it has no Linux support and absolutely doesn't work at all without some aftermarket scripting that unlocks the wifi device and that stuff is way over my head. So I swapped it out with my PC that already had a USB wifi key from another brand. It all worked out. The Cisco AM10 improved my PC wireless signal bars and speed, now I see 300mbps. Bottom line, this is a solid USB wifi dongle, just not plug and play by any means for Linux/OpenELEC/XBMC users.