The manufacturer commented on the review below
4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good device - ignore the 1 star reviews
You need to know what you're doing to really get the most out of this device, but really, this device works fine. I own several of them and use them for my business and home.

To get it to work, you need to sign up for a SIP account with a VOIP provider, like Voip.ms, Voicepulse, Vitelity, or Callcentric.

I suggest updating the firmware as soon as you...
Published on January 13, 2009 by D. Schumann

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Prestige Milano - COUNTERFEIT
The PAP2T I received is completely FAKE, it's a COUNTERFEIT!
Don't believe me? Check for yourself, here's how:
Published on February 25, 2012 by Jon C.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good device - ignore the 1 star reviews, January 13, 2009
This review is from: Cisco Small Business PAP2T-NA Internet Phone Adapter with 2 VoIP Ports (Personal Computers)

I suggest updating the firmware as soon as you receive it, as there are frequent useful firmware updates.

To respond to some of the one star reviews:

Of course the device doesn't work with Vonage, it's not supposed to! Vonage doesn't use SIP!

Of course the device died when you plugged the wrong power adapter into it - it fried the circuit board. You could make that same comment about hundreds of devices.

UPDATE: While I still think this device is good, I now recommend purchasing a Linksys SPA-2102 instead, due to a new firmware update from Linksys. It's worth the extra $[...] or $[...] bucks for the ability to tweak DTMF detection.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 3:44:26 PM PDT
Hi D. Schumann,

Thank you for the positive comments! We appreciate your feedback and recommendation. We are glad to hear you are overall satisfied with your PAP2T IP Phone!

Thanks,

Diana

4.0 out of 5 stars Best for when you need two VOIP lines, August 18, 2008
M (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
Are you ready to jump into the exciting world of VOIP? Freedom and cost savings are there to be had, but be aware that this market is still in a developing stage, and if you are not a techie, you are strongly advised to not buy a product like this and simply sign up with a VOIP provider who will include the equipment as part of the package. This will insure you have the best support in case anything goes wrong.

If you're still reading, you should be nevertheless aware that the configuration screens for these type of devices are obscure and take a bit of a learning curve. There is a full manual in searchable PDF which you will likely need to refer to, but when you do, it is very good.

Now, after all that, if you need a dual line or dual channel VOIP ATA (analog telephone adapter), let me heartily state that this is your product. I own one and love it, and have read many reports from other satisfied users. What is a channel? Well in the wonderful world of VOIP, a channel is an active call. Many providers, when you pay for an incoming phone number (aka DID, or Direct Inward Dialing number), give you two or more channels. What does this mean? If you have two phones hooked up to this unit, but are only paying for one DID, if you are on one line, the other will automatically ring if someone calls you. Conversely, if someone is actively calling on one channel, you can pick up the line on the other channel and make a call. I have not yet personally tried this but I have been assured that such things are possible.

Your VOIP provider should be able to help you get it configured correctly. Linksys (they bought out Sipura, who is the de-facto standard for VOIP ATA's) is very well supported by most VOIP providers.

Note: if you only need one VOIP line and channel, I would recommend the Linksys 2102 or 3102 instead. The 2102 includes a router (should automatically handle port-forwarding issues). The 3102 has a POTS (plain old telephone system) port (so you can call into the unit and call other countries cheaply from your cell phone, although Google Voice is just as good for this) and also allows you to register to more than one VOIP gateway at a time, allowing you to configure your dial plan for the cheapest provider to whatever countries you call to most.

5.0 out of 5 stars it works well.., January 30, 2010
I have it configured with two SIP providers (gizmo5 and localphone). With gizmo, I have wired it to my google voice number, so basically I have a free phone service at home without keeping my computer on all the time. It works well, and I never had to reset it in the past 2 months that I have used it.

The adapter came with limited documentation. But it is quite easy to locate help online for PAPT2 configuration. It is quite easy to do once you get the configuration information from your SIP provider. I was done in about 30 minutes. But I have to warn you, configuring this adapter isnt for every one; but this isnt for the SIP experts either. If you can configure a software client on your laptop, you can get through this with the online articles (wont make it with the provided documentation - I guarantee you that).

The adapater also lets you configure rules that are applied to the dialled numbers. You can assign some fancy numbers to your contact, and have the adapter translate it to the right number. For e.g. you can configure it such that if you dial "FATHER" (i.e. 328437) the adapter actually dials your father's number.. pretty cool :)

Overall, I would recommend it to anyone. I dont have to pay anything for a in-US line (thanks to Google + Gizmo) and can have extremely cheap pre-paid international calls where I pay less than half of what I was paying on skype and 1800 calling cards.

UPDATE 2/21/2011
----------------
It is still going strong. Had some trouble with DTMF tones, and fixed it by Selecting 'InBand' for Line -> Audio Configuration -> DTMF Tx Method (in Admin login, Advanced Settings). It works well now (with voip localphone - which is awesome btw).

UPDATE 5/10/2014
-----------------
Still doing great. No problems at all. No reboots, unless the power failed. Nearly non-stop for 4 years.

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 10:13:14 AM PDT
Hi Thomman-
Thank you for the positive comments! Glad to hear you are satisfied with the PAP2T. If you have questions, feel free to visit the Small Business Support Community (http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport) and follow us on Twitter (@CiscoSBsupport). We are listening!

Diana

1.0 out of 5 stars Prestige Milano - COUNTERFEIT, February 25, 2012
The PAP2T I received is completely FAKE, it's a COUNTERFEIT!
Don't believe me? Check for yourself, here's how:
Take the first six digits of the MAC address of your device, then google something like "mac address lookup", from the results find one that tells you the hardware vendor of a mac address. When I did this, the mac came back as "Kingjon Digital Technology Co.,Ltd" Obviously not Linksys.

The device was sold by Prestige Milano, and fulfilled by Amazon.

The package included a Cat 5e cord made by "CK-Link", and a no-name power adapter, unlike the genuine PAP2 I received from Linksys. The labels on the device just don't look right, the QC stickers are missing.

Mac's for playing with:
First six digits of Counterfeit PAP2: 0013EF
First six digits of REAL PAP2: 0018F8

Moral of the story, don't but from Prestige Milano.

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 9:17:49 AM PDT
Hi J. Corrado,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take counterfeit products very seriously here at Cisco, and I'm personally forwarding this to the Cisco Brand Protection Team for investigation. If you would please contact me at asksmallbizteam@cisco.com, I'd like to get some additional information regarding your purchase.

Thanks,
Andrea

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, April 7, 2008
Trini "trini39" (Waldorf, MD United States) - See all my reviews
The adapter needs to be connected to a VoIP phone service and high speed internet in order to work. I have the phone service through my home based business and it works fine. What's great about the adapter is that it's portable. I can take it anywhere in the world and plug it into a a high speed internet router or modem, plug my phone into it, and it will ring when someone calls my home number. What's even better is that I don't pay an arm and a leg for the service. This adapter is indeed the wave of the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Install Great to Use!, October 4, 2010
P. McGuire (USA, California) - See all my reviews
I've been a long time Sip user but on my Motorola Droid via Sipdroid. This is the first Voip device that I dove into. The device is super small - about half the size of my Linksys WRT150N wireless router. Setup was a bit difficult at first because I couldn't figure out how to get the ipaddress to configure it. You have to plug a telephone into it and dial **** 110# to get the ipaddress (said vocally) and then you can type it into a browser. I'm using this with Localphone.com - took only 5 mins to set it up and it works perfectly! Saving tons of money over Vonage. Definitely recommend this for those of you who know a bit about sip technology.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good so far. Great device with complex configs., December 7, 2008
Bradley Allen (San Jose, California) - See all my reviews
I am very happy with this product. I was pleasantly surprised by the cornocopia of configurability and features. The administration guide is hard to find in the Internet, and is not delivered with the CD (the CD is more geared towards an end-user who is using a set provider and configuration by that provider). However, once I hunted down the correct documentation, I was opened up to a realm of enterprise-level configurability that this device supports. FYI, the admin guide file is [...]

I am a very advanced computer programmer, and an intelligent telephone user. However, this realm of VOIP and telephony quickly makes me realize I am not an advanced telephone programmer, and the attached admin guide is no exception. You have to be both advanced at computer administration AND telephone administration to breeze through that guide, and for me, it was difficult enough just to hack out a working system. Every month or so, I want some feature that eventually I figure out how to configure, using various sources, including that guide and Google, but it's never easy.

So far, the user experience has been quite good. Clear call quality without problems, fairly easy initial configuration for me, etc..

The main detriment is one of its main benefits: its complexity. If you can get past that stumbling block, this is a great product at a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars After 6 months., May 25, 2009
DE guy "DE guy" (Wilmington, DE USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased the PAP2T-NA from Amazon about 6 months ago specifically to try Call Centric's VoIP service. I connected it to my D-Link router and set it up without any problems. There were a number of issues involved in obtaining optimal results from the service but they were all quickly resolved with Call Centric's excellent technical help. I now have the unit wired into my home's old phone system (easy to do) and it supports a total of 11 phones (wired and cordless) without difficulty. My bill is usually less than $5/mo. and that is mostly for my ported number and 911 service. Before choosing I read a number of favorable reviews of Call Centric's phone service. Mine is one more.
Some of the reviews address issues of VoIP in general and suggest that entering this relatively new world is not for the technically challenged.
Well, like everything else, it's a matter of degree. If you want to try it, just go for it! You might have a good learning experience in the process. The Linksys PAP2T works very well for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars My experience with this thing..., January 31, 2009
J. Aday "westec222" (Orange County, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I'd recommend not doing this unless you're prepared to spend an evening or two figuring it all out... after endless searching, it seems the best voip service vs. price I could find is future-nine.com (compare them all on broadbandreports.com.. this one had rave reviews and about half the price of others).. so I signed up. They had a faq page that had directions on how to setup the linksys device. It actually worked the first time I tried, which I did NOT expect. Our bill has shrunk for $20-30/month to $0-5/month.

Apparently, there are a thousand voip companies out there... so you can always change if you need to. Since I put the device on a network with a linksys wrt54g router, I had to do some setup so the router didn't disrupt the voip (I installed tomato firmware and setup the QOS options for voip.. do a google search... [...]Lastly, make sure you have good internet.. don't try to hook it up with unreliable wireless.. and make sure you have a good connection [...] Finally, if you're really cheap, you can use [...] to get a free washington phone number (to give out so that you can receive calls.) Future-nine lets you use them!!!

Aside from the lower price, I now have TWO phone lines, caller ID, call waiting, and a voicemail system (which I don't use since I'm partial to my old ans. machine.) Lastly, you can fan it out to all your phones.. I don't know what the limit is, but I connected it to our media panel and that connected all the house phones... 2 wired, and 3 cordless. Future-nine says they support fax too.. haven't tried yet.

If it's not working well, it's probably your router / firewall / connection speed...

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap!!! and Simple, November 24, 2009
I purchased the device because my wife and I both have cellphones and don't have a great need for a landline in the house. Every now and then, though, it is convenient to have a landline, say if you want to give a common number out to utility companies, relatives, etc, or maybe you just want to be lazy and you don't want to have to go grab your cell phone and you want to use the desk phone instead. The problem will local landlines from Verizon/AT&T/etc is that they charge a RIDICULOUS amount of money for their phone lines. I live in the Baltimore/Washington area, and the local regional plans don't cut it. Many times when you try to dial a number it will tell you have to dial a 1 because it is a "Long Distance" phone call, even though people drive it everyday to work. Because of this, or God forbid you'd call your family long distance, you end up having to get one of their long distance plans which after adding up all of the silly taxes can easily be over $20 a month.

With this device I was able to get a number from CallCentric for $3.45/month ($1.95 for plan, $1.50 for 911 recovery fee), plus calls for $0.015/minute. With this I can call anywhere in the US, and if I wanted to call overseas, they have cheap rates for that as well. I used to have Vonage, which is basically the same concept as this, and used to call from Tokyo to DC everyday for pennies on the minute and the VoIP sound quality was BETTER than the land lines we had available. We used to have the cheapest landline available from Verizon and it was costing us over $13/month for something we hardly used (could always use the cell phones if we wanted to make LD calls). We switched to this and we're saving over $10/month. At that rate we'll recoup the cost of the device in half a year AND we don't have to deal with the horrible Verizon customer service. It was a no brainer!

Setting up the device is both easy and difficult. There are a TON of options that you can configure in this device. To do it from scratch would be a little daunting, but with CallCentric, they have a step by step guide with pictures to show you what you need to type and where. With this guide it was a no brainer and I had my phone lines up and running in minutes after opening the box.

Note that to use a device like this you'll must likely need to have some sort of broadband connection. I have Verizon FiOS coming into my house and I placed my device right next to the Verizon router. It is near a central patch panel for my house, so it was easy to distribute to the phone lines already run in my house. If you aren't lucky enough to have this setup, another way to hook this up is to use the base and satellite phones. I got one of these for my mom and she loves it because now she can put a phone in her office in her house where there was no phone lines run.

Rate and Discover Movies