5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly stable, powerful business tool
Published on March 2, 2006 by Nicholas Stehle

Published 5 days ago by Kelly Cuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly stable, powerful business tool, March 2, 2006
This review is from: Cisco CP-7940G Unified IP Phone (Office Product)
I recently oversaw the purchase and installation of Cisco CallManager and Cisco IP telephones. This was my company's first venture into IPT and we did so with both guns blazing, so to speak. Our standard setup is the Cisco IP Phone 7940 series. This phone has proven itself to be rock-solid, stable and powerful. We have experienced 100% uptime with our VoIP telephones and response from users has been terrific. The 7940 has the perfect feature set for cost and provides the best access to phone features of any phone on the market. Setup is easy and with support for PoE, only one cord is required to place 7940s on desks (with the optional PoE switch from Cisco).

If your company is making a move into IPT, I recommend Cisco and its products. They are expensive but if up-time is the mission, Cisco must be considered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for price, November 5, 2013
This review is from: Cisco CP-7940G Unified IP Phone (Office Product)
I use this phone at work. Its very easy to setup and use. The display is very easy to understand and the voice quality is great. For its price, i have to give it 5 out 5. My co-worker has fancier phones then this (color screen, etc) but the this phone does what i require. Great phone for the office.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cisco at its finest, December 8, 2014
This review is from: Cisco CP-7940G Unified IP Phone (Office Product)
I'm a big advocate of Cisco gear, especially stuff manufactured about 10 years ago.

"Practically bulletproof" would be the best way to describe it. There are 7940G's out there that have been in production now for almost 15 years. A lot of these phones are acquiring a second life after retirement from high-end offices and call centers into small businesses. Contrary to other reviewers, these are not terribly difficult to set up; you just have to wade through a few hundred pages of Cisco documentation.

Pros:
-- These phones will keep running as long as they have power. I've never had one die on me
-- Excellent speaker quality
-- Compatible with pre-standard Cisco PoE *and* most third party switches. I've tested these with Cisco switches as well as Nortel. They work fine on both
-- Large screen
-- Comfortable handset

Cons:
-- Can be painful to switch to SIP and hook up to a commodity PBX if you're not versed in Cisco. As in, there's no web browser-based config
-- Won't work with cheap low-end PoE switches
-- Won't cook me breakfast in the morning

Other notables:
-- Don't expect to power this off a cheap PoE switch or an AC adapter you have lying around. It requires 48v input (same as PoE) if you don't have PoE. It's not compatible with, for example, Cisco SPA power adapters
-- Don't expect to hook this up in 10 minutes if you aren't familiar with, at the very least, TFTP and configuring XML files
-- The "24" ring tone is not included by default on these phones.

I run a bunch of these in a variety of offices. No complaints. I'd much rather buy a used 7940G or 7960G than a new Grandstream or Yealink.

1.0 out of 5 stars Phone worked fine, but firmware was Cisco's and I needed SIP ..., February 22, 2015
This review is from: Cisco CP-7940G Unified IP Phone (Office Product)
Phone worked fine, but firmware was Cisco's and I needed SIP firmware. I tried but could not download the new firmware. I ended up buying another phone that had the firmware already installed. Also, this phone did not come with a power adapter and you need one if you do not have the Cisco POE capable gear. This is a good industrial phone, but is not good if you are not familiar with Cisco gear.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy this phone, January 30, 2014
This review is from: Cisco CP-7940G Unified IP Phone (Office Product)
This is my first VoIP phone ever. In fact, this is my first "desk phone" I've ever used. I'm of the generation that had a cell phone since high school and never saw a need for a home phone, but now with my home-based business I wanted something a little more professional.

The display is good enough, however I wish it had a backlight so I could see it in a darker room without having to turn on a light. It is only a 2-line device, so if you plan on managing more calls than that I recommend the 7960 models.

It has a red light that emits from the top of the phone, through a plastic "window" in the top of the headset. This tells you that there are new voicemails to listen to. It's neat because if you're on the phone you see the light coming from the top left corner of the phone base, and if you have the handset hung up then the light emits through the handset. I just think it's a nice touch.

This is a SKINNY VoIP phone. If you need SIP then you need to look at other Cisco phones.

Other than the lack of a backlight on the display, this is a great phone - perfect for someone starting out with VoIP or without a need to juggle many calls. Cisco is a name you can trust and I strongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Phone, May 16, 2009
This review is from: Cisco CP-7940G Unified IP Phone (Office Product)
I bought this phone knowing that it did not come with a power cord but with many 7940 & later phones, they can get power from the LAN connection. I purchased this phone for my office at work and was attracted to the under $100 price tag. I got what I paid for and have no complaints!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, February 4, 2015

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, September 30, 2014
It didn't work with RingCentral

Cisco CP-7940G Unified IP Phone
$265.00 $95.75
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.