Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Linksys EZXS16W EtherFast 10/100 16-Port Workgroup Switch
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on April 8, 2003
After an unfortunate power spike that fried 3 of the 8 ports on my old switch, I felt that as long as I need to replace, I may as well upgrade at the same time.
With the expansion of the wireless market, switches like these are coming down in price. Life is good. If you can accomodate the wiring it's tough to beat the Mbps/cost ratio that wired networking provides.
This switch is just as easy as its little brother. Plug it in, plug in the CAT5 and you are up and running. The LEDs let you know at a glance if there are any collision or speed issues.
This switch provides enough performance to share the DSL connection, play skipless music and video over the network and make the transfer of large files quick and easy.
With 16 ports, I doubt I will be filling out the switch anytime soon and I will probably upgrade to Gigabit networking before then anyways.
on June 3, 2004
I just purchased this switch and it works great. Here's some of the reasons why I recommend it.
Works great and it's relatively cheap. 5 minutes out of the box and it was up and running. I own several Linksys equipment and have not had any problems.
It stacks well with other linksys equipment. I also have a cable/DSL router and this switch has the same footprint so they stack together. Beware of the linksys 5 port or 8 port switches, they are much smaller and will not stack on top of a Linksys Cable/DSL router or Wireless router. The pictures make them look the same but make sure you look at the dimensions of the item.
The ethernet cables run into the back of the unit. I think this is plus for home use since it keeps the desk less cluttered. You can tell the status of the connection on the front without the cables everywhere like the Netgear switches.
Highly recommend this switch.
on November 16, 2002
Had one of these for over a year. It is extremely reliable,
works with all of my other equipment (including Cisco),
and has lots of flashing lights (status LEDs). If I could
find any new ones for sale under [X]/each, then I'd
purchase two more.
on January 8, 2013
The unit is very easy to install, and works right out of the box. Given the prevalence of wireless devices, switches like this are indeed coming down in price, and make for an easy addition to any home or small business network.

However...

Within 5 months of my purchase, the uplink port (#16) stopped working. After much troubleshooting with their technical support unit, I was issued an RMA without any argument. Somehow the RMA was enter twice and I was sent a second unit as well. This took some time to convince customer support that they had screwed up, and I wasn't paying return shipping for the 2nd unit. All was cleared up eventually, and the replacement began working immediately.

About three months later, the same port died, and once again I had to go through the horrors of their support staff. After three hours on the phone with their technical support staff, customer service, and two supervisors, I eventually got another RMA. I am currently awaiting the third replacement now.

It's worth noting that they attempted to blame the cause of the outage on a faulty router attached to port 16. That is until I informed them that the router was a Linksys WRT54GL, that has been working flawlessly since its installation. Replacing the switch was cheaper than replacing the router.

It's a 5-star switch when it works. But my expectations for its longevity are very slim.

EDIT: I received the third replacement unit today, and as I feared it has the same defect. Of course, Linksys will not refund any money at this point so I can purchase a working unit. Looks like I'm just going to be put out for the replacement cost of a functional switch. This is most certainly the last Linksys/Cisco product I'll buy.
44 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2011
In my smart home, I had been using both the 8-port as well as the 16-port Giga bit switches from Netgear, for the past 3 years. I had to return them for exchange more than 3 times after they failed to perform, since they have a lifetime warranty. I was sick and tired of going to UPS and paying $19.99 each time for 2-way shipping and the service interruptions. I finally decided to buy the Cisco-Linksys switch despite it not being a Giga bit. So far it has worked as well as you expect it to after using for 30 days. I cannot rate their technical support or warranty services, since the item has worked without any problems. I will update my review in the future should I need to.
on November 19, 2013
This is an excellent switch. It still uses the old form factor of the standard WRT54G Linksys routers that everyone had in the 2000's, but it works as well as anything else. Keep in mind it is NOT a gigabit switch.

WHAT IS A SWITCH? A Switch is like an expansion for more inputs on your router. On most home grade routers, you'll have an internet Ethernet port, and four numbered Ethernet ports. If you take a numbered Ethernet port and run it to any port on a switch, you now have as many ports as are left. So, a 16 port workgroup switch with a standard router will allow you to hook up up to 18 devices. That's four on the router, and 16 on the switch. One gets used on the router, and one gets used on the switch to make the link. Every device plugged into the switch is given an IP by the router. The router does all the work even though the switch has many more ports.
on July 12, 2011
Got this item for my drug store LAN, when added a hosted phone system. Older router only had 10 ports, needed more for the phone system. It was trully PLUG and PLAY. Worked from day 1, and a lot cheaper than buying a 16 or 20 port router. I would reccomend it for anyone looking for simular item.
on March 22, 2012
I ordered this because I just ran 428 feet of in wall Cat5e cable to the home theater stations in the living room and basement. Simply plugged in the cat 5 cable and every thing worked. Prior to owning this device, when my computer was plugged directly into the actiontec router, sometimes it would not connect to the Internet and I would have to initiate a win7 network diagnostic fix to reconnect. Now that my computer is plugged into the Linksys switch, it always connects. No loss of speed. It just works
on February 21, 2005
I have owned this product since last summer. I have not had any problems with it. The switch was easy to set up and install. I currently have four pcs hooked up to the switch. My switch is hooked up to a Linksys 4-port router.
on January 19, 2015
Began working as advertised right out of the box. Has a very small footprint and is currently handling three
PC's, 1 laptop and 3 printers. Additional equipment will be added after a basement build-out is completed.