Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cisco Linksys Refurbished E1000 Wireless-N Router
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on June 8, 2011
I just bought this router refurbished from linksys to upgrade from my WRTG54 (which I believe was one of the best routers of all time), and it came in a box like it was brand new. The packaging would make you swear it was bought off a store shelf brand new. It was clean, scratch free, and finger print free. The router itself had a clear protective plastic cover adhered to the surface, and the Ethernet cable was wrapped and twist tied twice.

Now it says on the box to run the disc before hooking up cables, this isn't true. If you connect your modem directly to the router, you'll have internet access within seconds. The disc does help with initial setup, but I've been setup routers and networks for years, so I just went straight to the control panel in my browser. To access the control panel, just go to your favorite web browser and type 192.168.1.1 That's the default gateway to the router's preference panel. If it asks for a username and password, just type "admin" for both, without the quotation marks.

Over all, this router is fast! I was able to transfer large files between computers on my network at blazing fast speeds. With the power of wireless N now, the range and coverage of the wifi is a lot greater. I was able to get WiFi in rooms of the house I wasn't able to before. Rooms that had low signals now show full bars and a strong signal.

Design was, the body has been slimmed down and made a sexy glossy black. The new icons and blue LED display on the top of the router is also a nice new refresh. The router is also lacking external antennas which is also nice, dont have to worry about those getting whacked into weird directions and positions by the cat anymore.

I also liked the refreshed GUI of the settings. They're nearly identical to the layout of the WRTG54G, but made a bit more simpler and friendlier for those new to playing with the settings of their router.

Definitely recommend the refurbished model over the new one!
1515 comments| 193 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2011
Important info if you can't access the router's setup.

I just wanted to extend my WIFI range slightly, due to dropouts in the master bedroom while fiddling with my Android phone. Nothing serious. My Trendnet N150 was working fine, so I wanted to spend as little as possible to upgrade to N300.

So I got the thing and tried setting it up. Unfortunately, nothing worked. Well, let me rephrase that. The network was working with my two cabled computers, but I could not access the setup utility on the router. And the CD didn't work. It couldn't access the router either.

I tried the reset button and still no access to 192.168.1.1. So, off to bed with the old router still being used.

Next morning, and, voila, I pushed the reset button in long enough (10-20-30 seconds?) to actually reset the thing. I finally could access the setup on the router itself with address 192.168.1.1 and changed the parameters to fit my network.

Important note. When it asks you to login in - Admin, and password Admin.

Since then, it is working fine. Not much of an improvement over the N150 wireless router, but maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to stream Netflix to my phone in the bedroom. (But why?)

Anyway, I assume that since this is a refurbished unit that there is a likelihood of the unit having altered or unavailable settings. On my phone the router was showing up as a secured network. So a reset to the default settings was definitely necessary.

I hope this helps. My unit didn't come with any documentation other than the CD.

Reset the router if it's not working out of the box.

RDB
on September 6, 2011
I now own 2 of these routers, and at the price that amazon has them for, it's a steal. They are simple basic 2.4ghz routers that support B, G and N. The router is relatively easy to use, and the router performs well. If you need more capability, this router is also supported by DD-WRT, which allows you to add all sorts of features. In fact I have one in the waiting room of my office that is set to provide free wifi to my patients that has them authenticate like you do at hotels and such.

If I ever needed another router, I would not hesitate to buy another one of these. It also helps that it has a low profile and looks nice enough that you don't have to hide it.
88 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2011
I have a Linksys E2500 router, but with it's position in my house, I was unable to get a decent wireless signal in my bedroom. To avoid cables all over my house, I started looking into Repeaters (to extend the range of my wireless router), but I found terrible reviews on literally every repeater available on the internet. Most of them would say that the repeaters worked great for the first day, but started having all kinds of problems and would need to be reset constantly. Also, most of them weren't Wireless-N ready.

I chose this E1000 because it is one of the newer Linksys routers that is DD-WRT compatible (DD-WRT is router firmware that you can use in exchange for the normal Cisco/Linksys firmware), and in the same product-line as my primary router. It's been several days now and I have had no problems whatsoever. I have "full bars" all throughout my house, no random drop-offs, etc. I haven't had to touch the thing since I plugged it in and set it up.

If you are confident in your ability to thoroughly follow instructions and need a reliable router, bridge, access point, or repeater, I'd definitely recommend this router and flashing it with DD-WRT firmware.
I'll leave the technical stuff to others on this router and give you my "real life" experience with it. I needed a new wireless router quickly and cheap. I've had several and have probably never set them up to their full potential because the process can get pretty technical. I trust the Cisco/Linksys brand name and found this one at Amazon for under 25 dollars (refurbished). I have purchased lots of refurbished products and never shy away from them. My belief is that a product that is actually repaired by humans may actually be more dependable than one that goes right into the box off an assembly line. Though refurbished the router looked brand new, it even had the sticky plastic protection on it. Delivery was typical Amazon, less than 2 days. I plugged it in and it worked (that's 98% of what I needed it to do). The Cisco Connect software is hands down the best I have used. I could change the settings without reading an instruction manual and having to understand technical terms. I like the design, small, attractive and no ugly antennas. The blue lights are very subtle and the whole product has a feeling of quality. It does everything I need and I got it at a great price.
on February 28, 2011
I bought it because my older router couldn't penetrate our brick walls resulting in poor reception. This one works perfectly in all rooms! :)
on July 18, 2012
I have had this router going on more than a year now. ZERO issues expeirienced. I mainly use the router for online gaming and wireless internet from time to time. My Xbox, cell phones, and computers all connect to it with Zero issues and signal strength is always good, no matter where I am in the house. Matter of fact I have go across the street and still have good strength haha. I used to have a net gear router, that thing would aggrivate me to no end! Always would have to be reset and would constantly change my NAT settings to strict, which any online gamer knows is a pain! In summation this is a decent router on the cheap and I recommend it.
on October 28, 2011
This is a very good product, and had it not been for the lack of original packaging (which you'd expect in a referb) I'd have never even noticed that it was refurbished. There was nary even a fingerprint to be found. The other major upside of getting a referb device is that it's a slightly older revision of the e1000 model. To most consumers this won't make any difference, but if you're a hacker who plans on putting dd-wrt on it, you're in luck. I received a Rev.1 (although your mileage may vary, of course). These are so easy to flash with dd-wrt, in fact that you just do a regular firmware upgrade and give it the firmware file you've downloaded from dd-wrt's site. One step easy. In short: love it, great deal, well packaged, exactly the model and revision I was hoping for, great condition (still even had the protective plastic on it), super easy to hack. On the negative side, it has no external dipole antennas, but I live in a tiny apartment, so coverage isn't really a problem for me. I do, however have about 500 neighbors who all of wifi networks, so it's nice to be able to use a channel (14) that they can't to avoid contention.
on October 1, 2011
Speed, doubled. No I am not joking. For the past month or more my internet has been, or was I should say, getting pretty boggy. I am using LAN and would constantly have time outs, and disconnections. I contacted my ISP (charter) who informed me my modem was outdated. So they promptly sent me a new one. I noticed a tad of difference but still nothing big. One proving ground was trying to load Call of Duty: Black Ops servers. With my new modem, and old router I would load 2(6000+) servers. Meaning that only 2 were actually available for me to join. Well after some investigation I found out that the router I use to have (D-Link DI-604) was 10 years old! They stopped making the router in 2006 and stopped updating the firmware for it in 2005! I quickly asked a few friends and they recommended this router to me. I got it for $23.00 plus shipping and thought it was a steal. If you think that it wont be any good because it is refurbished, think again. The thing out of box looks brand new! After hooking it up I decided to do a couple of tests. The first of which was a downloading test. My old speed was about 1.0mb/s tops. Now I stay at a constant 1.7mb/s and peak at 2.0mb/s! The other test I did was a speed test via speedtest.net. Old speed was about 10-12 MB/s. New speed, peaks at about 48 and gets an average of 25 or so. The last test was for Call of Duty: Black Ops. I loaded up the game and browsed for servers. This time I got 4600(6000+). Big improvement? I would say so!

Final Review:
Packaging: great!
Looks: Brand New. Wouldn't even know it was refurbished!
Pros: Literally doubled my speed for my internet
Has an awesome customization for PLENTY of port forwarding

Cons: None

Side note: Make sure that when you install this router to restart your modem and any other routers so that they all may take affect and recognize the new hardware!
on February 2, 2011
Was skeptical about purchasing router, but it works great. Really like the Cisco Connect interface, which allows you to modify security features.