5.0 out of 5 stars Best buy in wireless routers
Published on December 10, 2012 by TucsonShopper

I've been wanting to get an 802.11n router since I began doing more home networking. Even my XBOX was telling me that my b/g router was holding me back and might impact my ability to stream higher-definition content.

I started looking at n routers vs. b/g and I was sold by the speed increase (up to 300 vs 54) as well as the increase in range (4x)...
Published on January 24, 2013 by TM

5.0 out of 5 stars Best buy in wireless routers, December 10, 2012
TucsonShopper (Tucson, Arizona) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cisco Linksys E900 Refurbished Wireless-N300 Wi-Fi Router with 4-Port Switch (Personal Computers)
The only difference between this router and others for 2-3x more money is dual-band support (which is only useful for connections over 40Mb), QoS services (for more than 2-3 simultaneous users), some never used parent controls and access using Cicso's new (and limited) Cloud, as well as a gigabit switch (as this one supports only 100Mb although wireless connections can be faster). But, your Internet connection is likely the bottle neck at no more than 10-25Mb (for cable) or 7-15Mb (for DSL). So, why does anyone need more than 100Mb on their switch - except to back up to another computer (I back up to SD)? You only need 3-5Mb for video (3.6 for native Netflix or 1.5Mb with Silverlight). I get over 20Mb downloads AND uploads with this wireless router (and a DOCSIS 3.0 modem). Well built and fair support, this switch is less than half the cost of anything comparable. And, the E900 supports the latest WPA2 encryption handling. This is THE best buy in wireless routers and what most people should buy. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent so far, February 28, 2013
I've ordered two of these routers and have been using them for the past 2 weeks with absolutely no problems at all. They looked brand new and each came with a Cat5e cable, power cord, and CD. I immediately installed Tomato onto them and they've been running without issue.

Pros:
-Broadcom 300MHz CPU/8MB Flash/32MB RAM/Linux-based, you can easily flash 3rd party firmware on these routers
-Super fast, Running N-Only in Greenfield under Tomato firmware I've been getting ~90Mbps in 20MHz and about ~96Mbps in 40MHz in a 100Mbps environment
-Stable, Have not had the need to restart the router manually, even if I tinker with settings, and even under high load
-Nice design, This is subjective, but I think it looks very sleek

Cons:
-No 5GHz wifi, If you live somewhere crowded, the 5GHz band is useful, although I had no need for it.
-No GbE, If you want/need Gigabit ethernet, this will be a deal breaker as the switch is only 100BASE-TX.
-No USB
-Plasticness, It feels very light, and this becomes a problem if all the Ethernet ports are used because the router will tip backwards
-Cannot be stood up vertically, This is useful in some situations but whatever
-It isn't free

Overall:
If you want 802.11n on your 100Mbps network without decimating your wallet, this is definitely the way to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price it breaks the rules on wireless N routers, December 29, 2012
I must say I was skeptical about purchasing a router at such a low price point and factory refurbished as well. Rest assured this device is solid and comes packaged like it was directly from Cisco... it even had a Cat5-E cable and CD. The quality of the device was superb without a single scratch on it.

The reason I purchased this router is that I have 16 routers in my house one EA4500 Linksys EA4500 App-Enabled N900 Dual-Band Wireless-N Router with Gigabit and USB and 15 WRT54G Cisco-Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router routers. Some may think this is overkill but I have an old house with plaster / chicken wire walls which creates a faraday cage in each room. Needless to say RF signals have a hard time getting through my home. So I was looking for a cheap upgrade that would get me wireless N @ 2.4 & 5GHz. I was evaluating an RE1000 but it required a high signal strength from another router in order to function and would not hardwire and act as a bridge... and it was twice the cost per repeater.

Setup was a breeze, simply connecting an ethernet cable to port 1 on the router and setting the router to bridge mode worked like a CHARM. I was able to complete setup in under five minutes. I don't use the Cisco connect software as I am old school and prefer the web interface. Although I am sure it is just as easy.

I am very happy with the performance of this router, while it doesn't have the range or throughput of my EA4500 it does a great job and outperforms my WRT's So much so that I could reduce my total number of routers by half. Throughput wise I was able to stream full HD video (1920 x 1080) from my media center and have a constant connection to the internet at speeds of 50mbps (tested using speedtest.net)

I have always trusted the linksys name brand for my home network and love the additional features like DHCP Reservation, DDNS, and router naming. I can now browse and administer these devices by name like [...] or [...]

For the price you cannot beat this router. Especially as a repeater for other linksys routers.

Thanks Cisco for making a great product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the money but not much better than my b/g router, January 24, 2013

There was definitely quality put in to the refurb and packaging process of this unit; wen I opened it up, I would have had no idea this wasn't new. It was clean, packed well, and worked fine right out of the box. Setup with my existing Verizon router was no problem at all once I found the instructions online on how to do a lan-to-lan connection. For the refurb cost vs. new, it was a no-brainer to buy this one. I updated firmware to the latest rev just to be sure I was up-to-date. I did not install the software off of the included CD.

-1 star because the range is really no better than my old b/g router. My signal still fades significantly in my kitchen which is about 30 feet from my router location. I did a little reading online and I've seen some reports of this for the lower-end linksys routers. At 4x the range for an n router vs. b/g, I expected to be anywhere in my house or yard and have a good signal. I'm going to do some relocating to see if there are line-of-sight or obstruction issues that are impacting the range.

-1 star because speed isn't what I expected either. I didn't expect any increase in internet speed because I know I'm limited by my 25/25 Verizon FiOS package, but I expected it to maintain higher numbers when connecting device-to-router. My phone comes in at about 65, my tablet around 100, and when I take a look at the connection speed with my laptop it's about 150 Mbps. I know that the n routers will drop speed when other devices are identified on the channel; I'm probably in a congested area. I also know that certain devices can't take advantage of the full throughput of the n routers. So to be fair, my expectations were probably too high around the speed increase I'd see.

In terms of value for the price, I'm completely pleased; overall, I might have been expecting more than what an 802.11n router can realistically deliver.

EDIT: 1/28/2013 - This router started to get flaky after a few days of use. Ended up having to do a reset on it, then I started having connection issues. I already picked up a dual-band n router locally (cost about 5X as much) and it's a significant step up in performance. My tablet even connects to it at the 5 GHz frequency, which is completely unused in my neighborhood (no interference).

2.0 out of 5 stars Constantly needs to be restarted., April 19, 2013
About a month ago my internet went down, after spending an hour on the phone with the phone company I was transferred to the help department at Cisco where we spent another hour figuring out that the router needed to be restarted. Now there's no on/off button so that involves playing in the maze of wires and cables and unplugging the thing waiting 30 seconds, going back through the tangle to plug it in and then restart the the computer. Since then I have had to this AT LEAST EVERY OTHER DAY. Very inconvenient. When it works, it works as intended but it should work all the time without this hassle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned after a couple weeks, May 25, 2013
Bought this router because of the great reviews. I set it up and had no issues for about a day - speeds were fine, worked in different rooms, I was happy. The wireless connection was a tiny fraction of my wired in speeds after the first day, and I ended up contacting customer service multiple times over the course of a couple days for troubleshooting. We confirmed it wasn't the internet connection (and I am the first person to assume Comcast is the one to blame!) and I was walked through updating firmware and various settings. It would work for a very short while, then speeds would drop drastically again. Eventually, it just stopped working and I stopped wanting to add additional hours to my time spent chatting with customer service. Amazon was kind enough to pay for my shipping to return the item.

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, May 22, 2013
Got it up and running OK, but could not get an internet connection. Called support and was initially told my router was already past the 90 warranty. Looks like they don't reset any warranty info for a refurbished router, so beware if you have to call tech support. I bet they never even checked it out when it was returned. Once they finally accepted that I had just bought it, I spent over 3 hours on phone with a Cisco script monkey, did everything they wanted (which I had already done myself). It should have taken 10 mins to figure out the router was defective, and not 3 hours.

They ended up giving me authorization to return the router, but then won't replace it, telling me I had to return it to Amazon. Amazon won't replace it, and will only issue a refund. Even if I wanted the same router, they bumped the price up, so now I get to buy a more expensive router. What a waste of a day.

I won't be buying anymore Cisco products, as their tech support is terrible.

Does any company have tech support that know what they are doing?

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm in love., March 11, 2013
Bob C (San Antonio, Texas) - See all my reviews
Maybe I am getting carried away, but it is so wonderful to have a router that is simple to install and that works seemingly perfectly. When this one arrived, I was running an old D-Link N300 with an even older Lynksys G plugged into it. Sitting off to the side was a Medialink N150. Except for the G model Lynksys, the others could not seem to hold a signal. Being despondent over wireless routers, I was not willing to fork over much for another. Still, the reviews on the Linksys E900 were excellent and the price was very low. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and all that. So I am just bowled over that this cheap, refurbished E900 just flat out works. It is very fast, the fastest I've had. It reaches to the far ends of the house with apparently no reduction is upload or download speed. I have all sorts of devices connected, both with wires and wirelessly, and all is well. This is such a new and wonderful experience that I thought I would share it right away. If my relationship sours, I will let you know. In the meantime, though, I could not resist ordering two more for backup. I am smitten!

5.0 out of 5 stars It really makes sense, October 5, 2013
Even though it is a refurbished product but it works as good as a new one. A non-refurbished one will cost you more than double the money and give you the same quality and functionality. I stay alone in a 1 bedroom house and it gives great connectivity. I use it to connect only my laptop, android phone and a kindle. I have been using it since last one month with no problems at all. Installing it was a bit of a problem because I couldn't manage to do it myself. So I called up Cisco's customer service and they helped me connecting, since then its been working fine. If I broke one I would buy the same product again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work, August 10, 2013
Doug Thonus (Schaumburg, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This item did not work when I received it. I didn't bother to try to return it as the cost was less than the hassle, but I get the feeling they just got a return and sent it back without trying to see if it worked. I work in IT and have set up countless routers and spent 2 hours trying to get this to work but it would never get an IP from the cable modem.