on June 15, 2012
Verified Purchase
After installing this router, my download speed (wireless) went from 15mb/s to 0.5mb/s. After some googling, I found that this router ships with a setting that is enabled, which destroys download speed. After correcting this, download speed increased to 25mb/s. That's why there are so many refurbished units available for purchase. Anyway, do this:
1. Login to your router. If you've never done this, look for instructions that came with your router or do a google search to find the default username and password.
2. Find a page that has QoS settings. For the E1200, you need to click on "Applications & Gaming" and select the "QoS" sub-menu.
3. Disable WMM Support.
4. Click save.
6363 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 22, 2012
Verified Purchase
Time warner gave a me a garbage netgear cgd24g that had issues since i got it.. i was supposed to be getting 30 mbps down but i never managed to get more than 10 mbps for the past ten months ive had it..used the netgear as a modem only and the e1200 as my router and now im pulling 28 mbps...wow what a diff and set up was so easy your grandparents could do it..cheap and works fairly well...no issues
on November 15, 2012
Verified Purchase
This router will not disappoint. It came in a "Certified Cisco Refurbished" packaging, but the router looked brand new. No blemishes at all. This router is in the second story of a 3,000 sq. ft. home and there are no coverage drops throughout the house.

Literally 3-minutes after plugging it in I was able to have DD-WRT installed and running on it. DD-WRT transforms the router from a $50 router to a $250 router. I would highly recommend this router running DD-WRT.

Instructions for flashing DD-WRT are as follows:

Download DD-WRT

Go to: [...]
Click, "others"
Then click, "eko"
Then click, "V24-K26"
Then click, "svn18946"
Now you will need to download "dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e1200v2.bin". (If you have a hardware version 1 E1200 you will need to download "dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e1200v1.bin")

Prepare the router
Now that you have downloaded the new firmware, you need to get your router ready for the upgrade.

First, hard reboot the router. (Pull the power plug, wait a few seconds and plug it back in.)

Now log in and navigate to the "Administration" page.

Install DD-WRT
Now that you are on the "Administration" page, now select the "Fireware Upgrade" option.

Click the "Browse" button and choose the .bin file you downloaded.

Click the "Start Upgrade" button.

I may take a few minutes for the router to update. BE PATIENT, because this is were most people mess up their routers. Watch the lights on the back of the router. Once they stop flashing for a minute or so, you should be able to login via the HTML interface. (It may take 5 minutes or more for the lights to stop flashing, but mine took around 1 minute)

Configure DD-WRT
If you have configured any Linksys, or other brand, router via the HTML interface you will get along fine with the DD-WRT interface. I actually find it to be more user friendly. The default username is 'root' and the default password is 'admin'.

Dig around and play with the configuration. You can do some very interesting and fun things with a router running DD-WRT.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 3, 2012
Verified Purchase
This is a great, light-weight and cost, high-performance, and low-fuss router. A bug that manifests itself if you are using this with a Comcast cable modem and any wireless-N device with windows 7. Here is how to fix it:

If you take the router out of the box, connect, secure, and use it with the above configuration, you may end up getting abysmal speeds (less than 1 Mbps on downlink) while your upload could be smoking high at 6 Mbps. Moreover you may see that older WinXp devices or devices with Wireless G can get upto 15 Mbps on the same router while you are still stuck.

The reason is a buggy default setting in the firmware.

To fix this: go to 192.168.1.1 in your browser when connected to the router (to configure the router via web), go to Applications and Gaming tab, QoS sub-tab, and DISABLE whatever is enabled inside that page (mainly WMM.. that's the culprit).

After this you are good to go, and can get smoking high speeds upto 25Mbps or higher, depending on your cable connection rated speed. This is discussed also on some forums and in one other review.
on February 9, 2012
Verified Purchase
I used to be computer tech, and we installed these constantly. The refurbished work great & hold up. The Linksys is durable & reliable. Other brands have issues with firewalls & packet slow-down. Not this one.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 23, 2012
Verified Purchase
It came fast and so far is working great...would recommend! I was scared of the refurbished part of it but it has been working like it was new
on August 12, 2013
Verified Purchase
This router, on its own merit, would get 3 stars. It works well enough as a basic router, it gives you wifi access, and that's about it. It lacks a lot of features that would make it great... guest wifi, website filtering and controls, etc.

HOWEVER - it so happens that this inexpensive router is popular enough to be blessed with DD-WRT support, and that's where it earns 5 stars. In fact, Cisco even sells a version with DD-WRT pre-installed (for almost twice as much), so you know it's legit.

What DD-WRT support essentially means is that you can flash a custom firmware onto it that allows it to have all the features you could ever want, like a separate guest wi-fi, fine-grained access controls and website/service blocking, tuning signal range/quality (by setting TX power), virtual lans separated by physical ethernet port, OpenVPN support (on the E1200 v2 model), captive portal hotspot, ssh, cron/scripting, etc.

My two must-haves are the ones I mentioned at the top:

1) Guest wifi is almost a necessity these days, as it's common to allow guests Internet access at your house, but probably don't want to give them access to all your devices, shared folders, etc.

2) With fine-grained access controls, you can easily do things like "disable NetFlix during the school week only on the kids' iPad", block websites by URL or keyword, or disable bit torrent (for when unscrupulous in-laws come to visit.)

While more technically difficult to setup and use, I'm also excited about the OpenVPN service. It allows you to connect your 3G/4G phones and tablets to your home network from anywhere. Once setup, I will access my network-connected devices at home (DVR and streaming, webcams/monitors, home automation, etc) from anywhere.

This is a ridiculously powerful feature set for an inexpensive router, and it's all possible via the free DD-WRT project. This router is one of the supported DD-WRT targets -- and for that reason, I give it 5 stars.

A great value with DD-WRT. Without... Meh, it's not bad for the price, but it's a very basic router.

A side note about flashing DD-WRT onto this router - the reset button is hidden on the bottom of this unit - you need a toothpick or small screwdriver to press it. The blue button next to the power port is not the reset button.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 29, 2012
Verified Purchase
Now this review is mainly for the wifi because after all, it is a wireless router. Also, connection is great when wired. I get lighting fast speeds, but the wifi needs some tinkering to get the fast speeds.

I will say this about setup with the CD, you may have to turn the router on and off until your computer recognizes the router. A screen on the browser will show up telling you to use the CD to run the setup. The setup with the CD is easy, just follow what it says.

Now once you are done with the CD setup,you still are not done. As noted in some other reviews, you should go into the router settings and disable the QoS under Applications & Gaming. I did that and I was still getting spotting connection. It would take a long time to get a connection or I wouldn't get a connection at all. Then I was looking at the wireless security options. I switched it from "WPA2/WPA Mixed" to "WPA2 Personal". I'm no wifi expert, but that seemed to do the trick for me. Not sure if anyone else has has this issue, but it was frustrating at first to get a good wifi connection.

At the end it's a good router once figured out. Speeds are fast and it seems to be running smoothly. Hopefully this review helps.
on May 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
Got this router in a few hours ago, initially it seemed to be working fine, when I connected it and setup wireless encryption speeds were holding steady at the expected 58mbps on my network side.
I then connected 3 computers, each with a wireless N router, the first problem I noticed with the router was a signal that was far weaker than I expected, a wi-fi analyzer showed the signal strength to be at 75dbm at less than 30 feet away, after watching it for a while I noticed that the signal strength was fluctuating erratically (to my knowledge there weren't any other nearby wireless devices that could have been causing interference).
I then connected a desktop and tried some online games through the wireless (wireless isn't ideal for gaming, but with a steady connection it is usually sufficient) I noticed that I seemed to be getting an unusual amount of latency, after checking with a few people to confirm that the problem was on my end I started checking pinging the router to monitor communication times between it and my computer, mostly it maintained a good low ping of just a few ms, but a fairly significant number were extremely high, between 1000, and 1200 ms, this happened on multiple network cards while I was pinging the router, I also tried pinging, and running tracert on a few sites I had confirmed were online and would allow pinging (google) the only pings that were dropped, dropped at the router.

Generally I don't have a problem with buying refurbished computer equipment, because it has usually been repaired to like-new specs and can save you a few bucks, this time it doesn't seem to have worked out too well.

If you're willing to take a bet on the router not working to save a few dollars I'd say go for it, otherwise spend a few bucks extra and get a new one or something of a bit better quality.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 8, 2012
Verified Purchase
Item works great thus far... no issues. Save a good chunk of money and buy the refurbished product. It comes with the same warranty as if it were brand new
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations