Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on BGG

on November 24, 2007
I installed this router yesterday and have been regretting my decision of buying it ever since. It keeps on dropping connections every 2-3 minutes which drives me crazy. The signal strength is always low even though the router is placed about 3 feet away from my laptop. I tried all possible settings and still couldn't get it to work properly. Previously I owned a D-Link wireless router which worked perfectly, but it stopped working after a year after which I made the mistake of buying this Linksys router. Please make sure you ask other people how this router works for them before you plan on buying it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2007
I bought this on the 10th of November and returned it today the 25th of November. It quit working sometime last week around the time my wife mentioned she smelled a burning smell in the room where it was located. I didn't use it every day, but on and off throughout the week. Each time (2-3) I wanted to connect with my MacBook, I had to powercycle it before I could get connected. The lights would blink in strange patterns. Finally, it got to the point that powercycling it was not enough. I thought that perhaps it was overheating and the I should unplug it and disconnect the wall transformer and let it all cool down, but that didn't help. It got to the point where it would just light up all four ethernet LEDs and the Internet LED and that was it. I tried resetting it serveral times with the red reset button on the back to no avail. Perhaps I got a dud, but a sales guy at a local electronics retailer said they would not be restocking them and that it was originally for sale in India. (Not that those folks deserve poor hardware, but I believe his point was that it was made cheaply or that it had a bad rap and they were just dumping them wherever.) He also said they just got one shipment of them and that would be their last and that I wasn't the first person he heard of having problems with it. I replaced it with a D-Link DIR-615. I recommend avoiding this device.
on December 31, 2007
I bought this router and have been using it for 2 months. It works great and I am completely satisfied with it.
on February 10, 2008
The product was received just in time. I had no prblem setting the router up. The router interface was pretty simple to understand. The service works very well outside and inside the house no complains from me yet. The size is very well recomended.
on December 21, 2008
I got this router when I purchased my EeePC 4G Surf a year ago. I had no problems with the wireless connectivity and could even go as far as 100ft away from it and still have a signal with my EeePC 4G Surf. The firmware is a lot better than a WRT54G, as well as it having a stronger signal strength.

Awhile back, I did not have internet, but could not really pick up on anyone's router too much with just my EeePC (Hey, at least I admit to it!). So I put DD-WRT onto it, which you have to search for DD-WRT for WRH54G, there is a special version for it. I connected my router to my EeePC using a cat5 cable. Changed some settings in the firmware, and made it so that I could use the router as basically a wireless adapter. I got really good signal with it and connected to routers very well.

In all, this router has given me no problems, as in one of my comments to the other review, I had to change some settings for a cheap, crappy USB wireless adapter to make it work, but that was about it.
on February 24, 2008
I bought this in late November from another retailer and it worked just fine for 3 months. The other day, we realized that we didn't have an internet connection on our laptop, which is about 20 feet away from the router. My fiance went online, searched FAQ, initiated troubleshooting "chats" with tech support for several hours... to no avail. We can't get it work again, no matter what we try.

We only bought this model because it was on sale with a $15 rebate - but our rebate was rejected because supposedly we didn't include the original UPC code, which is nonsense. Very unsatisfied with everything about this purchase, from the rejected rebate to the ineffective tech support we received. Will never buy a Linksys item again.
on April 13, 2009
Took me sometime to make this work using the Setup Wizard disk as I think that it is poorly documented that I decided to manually configure it by using my browser and going to [...] and it is now working just fine in both wired or wireless connections.

At anyrate, my WRH54G is not Made in India... its China.

Firmware Version is: v1.01.04, Jun. 21, 2007, not v1.01.03... which is said to be having problems with dropping connections.

And those details above are probably where the reported differences or problems are coming from.
on October 5, 2012
Great price for a wireless adapter. Although it came with a power adapter made for European power outlets. The seller sent an adapter for it very quickly. The software has very limited settings for user to make. I was able to flash the firmware with dd-wrt open source software. With dd-wrt you can make all kinds of setting changes including boosting the output power. This does void the factory warranty however but for this price it was worth it.
on February 11, 2011
Cisco, a company that made phenomenal routers like the 54GL and the 54 GS made a lemon like this, this router is worse than the 54 G series which was the entry level router. This router lacks range and also lacks power. Can be used only when you have just one or two machines trying to access the internet via the wireless. probably belongs to a sub $30 range.
on December 10, 2008
A great product. I've had it for a couple of years and I take it with me whenever I travel overseas. Excellent functionality. I haven't had any dropped connection problems that other reviewers have mentioned.