4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, supported by VOIP providers
We purchased a half-dozen of these for my startup because they're supported by Vocalocity (our VOIP provider), had the features we want, and the price was right. It's a solid, few-frills, get-the-job-done VOIP phone. Excellent sound quality, and it's attractive on the desk, too.

Published on September 18, 2008 by M. Radwin

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice with very low speaker volume
It works great in all respecr except as a speakerphone. If you need a speakerphone which may be shared by more than one person, this is not a phone for you.
Published on February 10, 2010 by S. Basu

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, supported by VOIP providers, September 18, 2008
This review is from: Cisco SPA942 IP Phone (Personal Computers)

My only complaint is that the phone uses icons (a picture of a hand for "hold", a piece of paper with a folded corner for "setup") instead of words. At first blush, it's not always intuitive what those icons mean. I understand why Cisco did this (reduced localization costs for a product that can sell in the global market). I almost never read the documentation that comes with electronics, so the first time I needed to place a call on hold, I spent 60 seconds staring at it looking for the "hold" button, dumbfounded that it didn't have one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, for the price, June 2, 2010
This review is from: Cisco SPA942 IP Phone (Personal Computers)
This phone had everything i was looking for:
* backlit display (so you can read it when it's dark or dim in the room)
* 4 lines with independant number assignment
* choice of a single ringtone for a single line (home/personal)
* supports sip/sip2 (works with asterisk)

I actually searched for 2 or 3 months for the right phone, but no one mentioned anything about the details that were critical to me (such as backlit display), and i actually BOUGHT the wrong type of sip phone 3 times before finding this one, which had what i needed. This phone is great for the budget-oriented small office.

Now, the bad things (or 'not so good' things):
* Power supply sold separately (see the area that say 'customers who bought this also bought...' to find the power supply for this phone)
* The speaker phone is too damned quiet!
* I had to buy another (MUCH longer) handset cord so that i could lean back in my chair while on the phone
* The number 8 button gets stuck on the phone for my desk, but it is fine on the other phone for the other desk
* DOES NOT COME WITH A SETUP MANUAL!!! It comes with a short "features" guide (2 pages), but NOTHING about how to set it up with your server. To do so, click the "settings" button, then choose "network", then scroll down to the ip address. Type that ip addrss into your browser to get to the embedded web server front end to setup the phone. The user name is "user" (it took me an HOUR to guess it; for routers, etc, it's usually 'admin', or something like that), and the password is the password that you assigned to the phone (if any).

Despite its shortcomings, it's still a great phone. I hate the speakerphone, though....

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding phone, September 20, 2009
This review is from: Cisco SPA942 IP Phone (Personal Computers)
Excellent phone, great sound quality, the best IP Phone on the market. Have had it for two years without any problems whatsoever. The phone is well built to withstand daily use and is very customizable to match any needs. Cisco provides regular firmware updates which is an added plus.

My only complaint is that the phone does not log incoming calls when in the do-not-disturb mode, unlike the grandstream phones that do so.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Business Phone - A Little Difficult to Install, January 11, 2009
This review is from: Cisco SPA942 IP Phone (Personal Computers)
This is a good phone, it works well. I did need technical support to set it up though from my service provider, the set-up guides appear to be written by engineers for engineers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, November 22, 2009
J. Li "Andy" (Bay Area, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cisco SPA942 IP Phone (Personal Computers)
I am really a fan of Linksys product. their interface is very good. The phone just works great and I can manage 4 phone lines with this product. Set up is not that hard at all.

There is minor problem with phone. The quality of the speaker phone is not loud enough. If you compare it with that of regular home phone, the speaker is better. If you compare it with speak phone in most of high quality office phone, it is not that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 3, 2014
This review is from: Cisco SPA942 IP Phone (Personal Computers)
outstanding product at a fair price...thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly Reliable VOIP Phone, May 1, 2013
This review is from: Cisco SPA942 IP Phone (Personal Computers)
I have owned this phone, and a few other from the Cisco range, for about 3 years.

I use callcentric, and the phone was easy enough to setup (for a computer aware person),

For the most part the phone has been very reliable, some problems i had in the past i can not say for a certainly were actually a problem with the phone, i had a WiFi router that i attached this to via Ethernet, i think the router was dying in the Ethernet ports. Since i replaced the Wifi router i have had not a single problem. The problem i faced was some DNS error.

5.0 out of 5 stars Use for my business, February 9, 2012
This review is from: Cisco SPA942 IP Phone (Personal Computers)
Geez, bought these 2+ years ago. Never reviewed. I use these for my business....these are VOIP phones and I use Vocalocity. I'm an executive recruiter, and I had been using Packet 8 (or 8x8) phones and service for the prior 1+ years to my buying these cisco phones. Where the packet 8 phones were horrendous...these cisco phones have been fantastic! I'm sure my voip provider has something to do with that (along with my internet speed, connection, etc). But the options are easy to use, the buttons feel like real buttons (i don't feel like explain what i mean on this) -- and most importantly, they work. Still using them today -- and I haven't thought once to upgrade these phones. Will use 'em til they eventually drop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, should have come with a power adapter!, June 7, 2010
This review is from: Cisco SPA942 IP Phone (Personal Computers)
Overall this was a great phone with everything that I needed. The only problem is that it comes without a power adapter and that is very annoying since you have to wait another few days to use the phone once you realize there is no power adapter in the package!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice with very low speaker volume, February 10, 2010