Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing STEM

on March 26, 2009
My experience with the WRV210 has been excellent. This was my first time setting up a VPN. I can assure you that any first time IPSec VPN setup will be tedious. Dealing with routers, modems, firewalls, certificates, and static IP addresses, is no picnic. That said, the WRV210 with QuickVPN client makes the task a good deal easier. I can understand other reviewers, here and elsewhere, that are not as positive regarding the WRV210. But I suspect that their ratings reflect more the tedium of the setup process rather than the device itself. And, face it, no one box, or one piece of software, is going to go out there, find the exact network that you care about, configure the routers, the modems, the firewalls, etc. with the exact functionality that you desire. To credit Linksys, the WRV210 User Guide is extensive. In some 75 pages, they clearly discuss many of the issues involved. The Linksys Online Forum was also great at filling in the blanks.

I also used the great freeware application UltraVNC (rev 1.0.5.3) to add a remote desktop connection capability through my WRV210 VPN "tunnel". It works great. (A big "thank you!" to the UltraVNC developers. My contribution is on the way.) At this point I think that I could write another chapter to the Linksys User Guide or Linksys Forum documenting my experience. I really love the robust features like a maximum of ten VPN clients, and up to four wireless SSID's. My WRV210 setup is in a small commercial studio that offers free Wi-Fi to its customers. The WRV210 wireless capability allowed me to tailor the hotspot for maximum user convenience as well as system security. It even provides a wireless LAN scheduling capability, as well as wireless isolation within a SSID which is great protection for public hotspots.

My VPN setup involves both Windows Vista and Windows XP machines. The WRV210 worked flawlessly with both operating systems. To those small business owners wanting to have a VPN capability like the big guys, the WRV210 is an outstanding cost-effective solution. I highly recommend it.
MontanaJoe!

Thank you for your positive comments and strong recommendation! We appreciate your business.
If you need further assistance feel free to visit the Small Business Support Community at http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport

on June 25, 2010
This router is the worst router I have ever owned, and network engineering is what I do for a living. I am here to tell you I would give anything to be able to take this thing back to the store, unfortunately I got it from CompUSA and have had it longer than 30 days. But I decided tonight, after another endless night of frustration to cut my losses and run. I will never own another Linksys router as long as I live. I had a Netgear before this one and the only reason I had to replace it was because my house got hit by lightning and it fried my router and switch.

I work with Cisco Enterprise class equipment all day, everything from the Cisco ASA to the latest Cisco Nexxus switches, so when it came time to pick up something for home, I naturally gravitated towards the familiar Cisco logo; even though I knew this was just a rebranded Linksys I figured Cisco has owned them long enough to improve their quality. So on with the review:

The (very short list) of the good:
1) Attractive case
2) Decent SOHO networking features (on paper at least)

The BAD (where should I begin?)
1) I have a 25Mb/s down / 15 Mb/s Up Verizon FIOS line at home, and anytime WAN network utilization exceeds approximately 1MB/s (8Mb/s) the router crashes. It either completely stops responding or it will reboot

2) For the wireless side of the house its even worse; if total wireless bandwidth exceeds 500KB/s the router locks up to the point that it stops transmitting completely. LAN cabled devices still have connectivity, but not wireless. Sometimes with a long enough wait the wireless will come back, other times I have to unplug the router and plug it back in.

3) Occasionally the wireless problem will also crash the LAN devices, causing the whole router to lock up and reboot or lock up until I remove the power

4) Supposedly this router has RangeBoosting features, however in reality it is installed in the exact same place my other router was sitting yet I get half the range. Less than 10' from my house I am now down to 2 bars, whereas with the NetGear I could easily walk 80' in any direction before observing signal degradation.

5) Even when the router appears to be functioning normally, if you attempt to log into the web interface a lot of times it will say page not found. The only fix is to remove the power from the router and plug it back in.

6) It does not maintain any local logs, if you do not want to set up your computer as an SNMP server then you will have no way to view the logs generated by this router.

7) This router is having this many problems despite the fact that I am ONLY using it as a router. I have a dedicated Gig switch that I am using as my access layer for my network. All this router has to do is process wireless and WAN traffic, no switching necessary. I can only imagine what would happen if I used the integrated switch.

Conclusion:

This router was a complete waste of money, and I will have to cut my losses and run. Its really too bad Cisco has obviously made no effort whatsoever to improve their Linksys family. Although I will continue to recommend Cisco's enterprise line of routers, switches, and firewalls; this will be the last Linksys I ever own. Ironically Verizon provided a Westell cable router which I placed upstream of this router and it never has any of these issues, has a much better firewall and administrative console, and far more robust features.
Hi R. Ashe,

Sorry to hear about your experience! We recommend upgrading to the latest firmware, which may address some of the issues you experienced. You can download the most recent software here: http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282414014&softwareid=282463177&release=2.0.1.5&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest. You'll find information about the specific issues resolved with this firmware in the Release Notes (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/wrv210/release/notes/78-20177.pdf). Also, there is a newer version of this product available-the RV110W (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11762/index.html)

Thank you for your feedback!

on October 31, 2011
Many reviews on this website already mention that this router is a piece of ...! We did not listen to them and decided to try it out. You have to use the latest firmware if you want to have any luck using it, but once you do, expect to reboot the darn thing at least once every two days. Plus, you might have to re-configure it from the beginning. Don't buy!
on March 8, 2013
This router is simply a horrible piece of hardware and software. I've always used Linksys/Cisco routers, but never again. First let me say that I have the latest firmware, but there must be so many bugs the manufacture gave up on it (nothing new for quite some time.)
1. Must reboot most every day, wireless fails and can't access. I've tried everything from my lap top to get it to restore communication, but router reboot is only solution.
2. Port forwarding can't even be set! I press save, screen goes blank and then comes up with no port forwarding.
3. Attempts to manage remotely via the https: and dynamic DNS simply don't work.
4. I tried resetting to factory defaults thinking maybe I configured something wrong, but all I did was waste the time reconfiguring.
Avoid this router.
I see now many others have had the same experience. The manufacturer basically responds with "upgrade to the latest firmware", but that seems to be the problem. Sorry I did see more honest reviews before I purchased.
I installed this at a relative's house across the country form me with the plan on being able to access the router and VNC into their computer to trouble shoot. That worked with the old WRT54G, but when it finally wore out I thought this would be good replacement. What a disappointment.
on August 13, 2010
Needs to be rebooted once a day, or if I'm lucky every other day. Just over a year with having it and it took a dive. CISCO has a 3 year limited warranty, but they make you fax in your receipt to honor it.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Brian Limieux, Sorry to hear about your experience!

Regarding warranty coverage, Cisco uses the product serial number to determine eligibility based upon shipment records. If there is any question about whether a product is out of warranty, a customer may provide proof of purchase (e.g., sales receipt) to verify that the product is within warranty. For faster service, a customer may fax or electronically send the proof of purchase to the support center (http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbizhelp).

Thanks,
Diana Cisco Small Business Team
on January 28, 2013
For cisco to put something out that is so crapy, makes me think the entire company and its products have lost its way. Cisco used to be known for premier routers and networking equipment. This is despicable.

Pro's
-it has the Cisco name, at one time it used to mean something.

Cons
-Horrendous Wireless connectivity
-Constant dropped calls for SIP
-Constant dropped internet

Summary, it doesnt work..
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2012
Cisco should be ashamed with their name on this product. It's no different than it's Linksys predecessor, the WRV 200. Same problem with the interface not showing up correctly in the Main screen's right pane (it is a pain) and periodically dropping the wan side.
Of the 2 WRV 200's and WRV 210's I bought only 1 is running. And I am waiting for the other shoe to drop on that one. Don't waste your money, although you experience may differ.

I replaced the last one with an ASA
Hi Clickthrough,

We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with the WRV210 router. Without knowing more about your specific configuration, it's difficult for us to offer assistance. Did you try contacting support (http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbizhelp) or check the Small Business Support Community (http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport) for help troubleshooting the issues you encountered? Both are great resources. We recommend upgrading to the latest firmware, which may address some of the issues you experienced. If you haven't already, you can download the most recent software here: http://bit.ly/Av9Y9j. Also, there is a newer version of this product available-the RV110W (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11762/index.html). Thank you for your feedback.

on December 4, 2011
Like many on this list, I had several problems with this device, the main one being that it would disconnect wired and/or wireless connections at random times (at which point, only a reboot would solve the issue). Per the suggestions on Cisco people, I installed the latest firmware and continued to have these issues.

I actually bought the router at a local retailer and exchanged it once before I thought to check Amazon's reviews. Based on my personal experiences with *two* units and the comments of others on this board, I'm convinced that there is a systemic problem with this model and not with a particular device.
Hi ski_tahoe,

We're sorry to hear that you had some issues with the WRV210 router. Did you try contacting support (http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbizhelp) or check the Small Business Support Community (http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport) for help troubleshooting the connectivity issues you encountered? Both resources are great places to get ask questions and get help. Because this is not a known issue and we do not know more about your particular setup, it's difficult to solve without knowing more information.

on November 8, 2011
This router worked great for about a month, it has a great set of features and a great price. I did however get what I paid for. Wireless hosts constantly drop the link to this router and the router itself needs to be reset daily. Don't let the glitz and the glamour fool you, its a terrible router.
Mr. Mann,
We're sorry to hear about your experience with the WRV210. Did you try contacting support (www.cisco.com/go/smallbizhelp) or checking the Small Busines Support Community (www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport) for help resolving the problem? Also, we recommend making sure your device is running the most recent software, which you can download here: http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282414014&softwareid=282463177&release=2.0.1.5&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest.

The WRV210 has been replaced by the RV110W (http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-RV110W-A-NA-K9-Wireless-n-Vpn-Firewall/dp/B004ZMXE66/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323192630&sr=1-1), which provides some additional features such as IPv6 support, access control lists (ACLs), and virtual LANs (VLANs) as well as more IPSec VPN connections.

Thank you for your feedback!

Cisco Small Business team
on January 14, 2012
Bought the product in 2008ish, after going through 3 other wirless access points that could not handle complex VPN protocols, even when configured correctly. This "business-class" device did allow VPN to work well, but it drops the wirless signal like once a day AT LEAST. Iv'e tried all the settings: moved the channel, isolated G, etc. etc. i actually know what I am doing, and yet this device drops wireless connections all the time, it restarts itself, etc. I have it set with encryption WPA&AES. I opened a case with Cisco, on their site for this product, and there I read about many many others were suffering similar problems, i see here on Amazon as well. I am about to upgrade to the latest firmware, looks recently released, but it feels like there is something wrong with the chipset or hardware, if this firmware upgrade doesnt fix it I will look for a new one. I wont even sell this to anyone because I consider it broken (out of the box).
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Hi GoofyZig pj762,

We're sorry to hear about your issue with the WRV210 router. It sounds like you've got the right idea by upgrading to the most recent firmware. Often, that simple update will solve your connection issues. In case you need it, here's the link to the latest firmware release: http://bit.ly/zJTyen. Also, Cisco's Small Business Support Community is a great resource when you're looking for answers about other Cisco small business products: www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport. We hope this helps!