The manufacturer commented on the review below
4.0 out of 5 stars WVC210
Highlights: reasonable value for the money - good hardware, better than WVC200, lousy software - having used it for a few months, I would buy another, but there's still lots of room for improvement. PTZ: only digital Zoom (not optical - so really, there's no Zoom, just Pan, Tilt).

Published on April 5, 2009 by Andrew J. Hogan

The manufacturer commented on the review below
3.0 out of 5 stars Solid but not flashy
Published on April 21, 2010 by Alfred

4.0 out of 5 stars WVC210, April 5, 2009
This review is from: Cisco WVC210 Wireless-G PTZ Internet Security Video Camera with 2 Way Audio (Electronics)

Details: I purchased the camera in December, 2008. Prior to using the WVC210, I've used two WVC200s. The 210 is an improvement over the 200 - better color, better image in low light, two-way audio, and I haven't had to reboot the 210 (the 200s are prone to lockups, occasionally). I use the "Kiwi Syslog Daemon" with all the cameras. And, the 210 audit trail is much improved over the 200. One key logging feature that the 210 has, is the ability to audit who logged in/out (and when) - the 200 does not do this. If you think about infrastructure security, this is a plus for the 210 and a HUGE mark against the 200. Like the 200, the 210 does not do motion detection - they both look at overall light level changes in a defined region. Labeling the function as "motion detection" is false advertising. Two outdoor examples: (1) if you setup a screen region and turn up the sensitivity, changes in sunlight (caused by clouds coming and going) will trigger a false motion-detection event (2) after turning down the gain to eliminate false sunlight triggers, objects (person, dog, car) that appears small at a distance can pass through the region without detection. Both cameras use an ActiveX control to view/listen to video/audio. The problem is, most public internet computers block the install of ActiveX controls, so if you want to check on your camera(s) while on vacation (off site), you better have your laptop along. Additionally, neither the 200 nor 210 accommodate this known shortcoming - for example, both could easily have a firmware upgrade to allow the user to see a snapshot JPG of the current image (when the ActiveX interface is not available) - neither camera has this feature. As for the monitoring software bundled with the 210 and 200 products, here Cisco has done an awful job as it takes over the ownership of these products from Linksys. The "Video Monitoring System v1.0.0.0" bundled with the 210 is not at all backward compatible with the 200. Adding insult, the interface is user-hostile, not allowing you to size it or move it - it has to be in the upper left corner of the screen and it wastes a lot of screen real-estate. The "Monitor v1.0.0.18" bundled with the 200 has a smaller footprint and it allows you to size and move the interface. It is forward compatible to the 210, but video only (not audio). It also gives you much more configuration control at your fingertips including volume control and on-the-fly record / stop / playback. In a nutshell, the interface of the old software is much better than the new stuff. If you will have a mix of WVC200 and WVC210 cameras, and if you want to use the monitoring software to record surveillance video, you will have to use the software that comes with the WVC200. You can search for e-pinions by me for reviews of the WVC200 for more details about pros/cons of this family of ip cameras.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 4:22:40 PM PDT
Hi Andrew

Thanks for the in-depth feedback! We are glad you are overall satisfied with the Cisco WVC210! If you feel you need further support feel free to visit the Small Business Support Community (http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport)

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid but not flashy, April 21, 2010
I purchased this PTZ wireless internet camera so I could easily watch my home while away (see how our dog is doing in the kennel). It is satisfactory in this capacity. The "Zoom" is not what I expected. There is no optical zoom, only a 2x digital zoom. This only works inside of the browser plug-in that comes with the device. Doing a 2x zoom produces a very grainy image. In my opinion, this is not desirable. The pan/tilt functions work fine as do the 8 preset positions (note that zoom is not presetable). The unit has a fairly sensitive microphone but the squelch level is not adjustable so medium to soft sounds are full of audio dropouts. Color balance, in automatic mode, has a decidedly greenish tint. After several days of operation, the unit will stop streaming video. Fortunately, a "reset" function can be performed remotely which restores normal operation. Normally I use Internet Explorer to access the camera from the Internet (a special plug-in must be installed within IE). The application software (actually hosted by a computer inside the PTZ) is functional though a bit confusing at times. Presets are defined, modes selected, IP addresses configured, even overlaying date/time on the video feed are all settable. When away from a desktop, I use a program called "IP Cam Viewer" on a Google Nexus smartphone to view streaming images from this camera. No audio is supported on the IP Cam Viewer however I can flip among the pre-established presets. (When the camera pans and tilts, it is fairly noisy. This sound is easily heard by anyone in the room.) My setup consists of the CISCO PTZ camera with a wireless connection to a Linksys wireless router located about 40' away. The router is connected to a cable modem. I opened a port in the router to allow access to the PTZ from the general internet. This all works. One final comment, the "stand" that comes with the unit is non-adjustable and was a real pain. It is designed to hold the PTZ on a desktop so it is angled upwards. I wanted the camera to sit on top of a bookcase and look down into the room. The stand would not allow this position. So I finally had to build my own stand that holds the camera more vertical so I could achieve the downward angle wanted to image the room. Would I buy this again? Probably, but I would take a close look at the marketplace to see what else is there. The misleading claim of zoom capability, the color balance, and inability to preset-with-zoom are drawbacks in my opinion.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 2:29:07 PM PDT
Hi Alfred,

Thank you for your comments! You're correct that the WVC210 provides 2x digital zoom-not optical zoom. This capability is highlighted in the product data sheet (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6918/ps9692/ps9944/ps9948/data_sheet_c78-504108.html) but unfortunately not on the Amazon product page. We're sorry for any confusion about the zoom.

If you network loses connection and doesn't resume within a certain period of time, the real-time video streaming will get interrupted. Using the reset function, as you did, will restore normal operation.

Again, thanks for your feedback!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for technical users, July 1, 2009
Camera works well in low light and color is good. Does not play nice with Windows Vista,,( needs a patch). For the novice user the setup can be difficult. Video can stream to my Smartphone quite well. (Storm). User install and user guide info is incomplete but again if you are above average technically it's OK. Overall I would say it does what they advertise but you may need help making everything work to it's capabilities.

1.0 out of 5 stars dissappointed, January 22, 2010
I saw the options and the maker of this camera and thought wow - a great deal from a reputable company.

I was sadly mistaken. the camera software was very lacking. the camera controls were very jerky. the low light quality was terrible. the audio (in/out) was very poor. the ftp application would not work. i returned it.

kudos to Amazon for handling my refund so cleanly!

it is a great design idea, but the saying you get what you pay for is true. I will save my pennies for a canon c60(it actually works as advertised but it cost a lot more)...

thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Linksys WVC210 in Linux, May 23, 2009
The WVC210 works great in Linux using the ZoneMinder application. (Found in most Linux Repo's)
Running in Firefox web browser at a IP address

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Product, More Software Needed for Internet Use, August 12, 2010
The unit operated flawlessly right out of the box and was easy to use within my home LAN. I'm very happy with it's operation.

I've been an operating systems programmer and personal gadget hacker for over 30 years. It was "kinda fun" for me to enable the video over the web, but it took a bit more time than I even enjoy, and no doubt would stymie a lot of people. Since I write software, I ALSO understand that adding this level of functionality to the unit / directions / web site would be daunting since there are so many different scenarios. Basically, you have to:

-- Find and ID the unit on your Router/Modem
-- either use the MAC, naming, fixed IP, or some way to allow you to forward one or more ports
-- IP forward the port(s) through your firewall
-- assuming that you are on some sort of Dynamic IP from your provider (and most of us are), you need to figure out how to make it appear to be a static IP so you can bookmark it.
-- I used [...] ... essentially, they act as a proxy URL and when DNS gives you a new IP, they map to it from the old one.

Using my not very fast upload speed ( ~ 500K bps ), the video is good enough to see how windy it is in the back yard. I have it up from sunup to sundown.
[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality camera, May 30, 2009
Good image quality and has worked well for the past 6 months. I would give it 5 stars but the reception is weak on this camera. WIFI looses connection if you are very far from your router. I had to add an access point and a bridge to keep all my cameras connected. And I only have a 1600 sq ft house. I like the two way audio. It is ok in low light but not really as good as I would like. The motion works well but may be too well for some. You will get lots of email images. The microphone works well and picks up almost any noise in range. It's nice to be able to see what's happening at home while your away. The motor is noisy, no doubt about it. But over all I am pleased with the camera and the software is fair. Too bad the software won't accept any other cameras only the WVC210 and WVC200.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, February 12, 2010
This Cisco Webcam works well for me. Once set up it works very reliably. I use it to monitor my driveway and cul de sac and it works well whether I am in my house or traveling across the country. Support for Video, Pictures and RTSP streaming makes it useful from almost any device.

Like many cameras, the motion detection capability is touchy. I can't quite get it set up to catch the motion I want.

Most of the time I access this device with Ubuntu Linux and this cam works fine with Linux, Windows or Apple OSX.

5.0 out of 5 stars The WVC210 is Outstanding, March 22, 2010
I gave this camera 4 stars for construction only because it's a bit large. Five stars for performance and 3 for set up. The performance and ease to access on the Internet or IPhone is outstanding. It's extremely easy to set up the type actions you want on the camera such as motions, directions, etc. The corresponding pictures you receive are great and you don't have to worry about being away from home and your computer going off line. When I'm out of the house I use the IPhone Internet to set up the actions I want the camera to do and either access the picture there or one of the 3 apps I have to view the pictures different ways. The company (Cisco) has some really outstanding individuals (especially one who did everything for me) on the tech team to help you out but only a few will help you with your own router.

The software that came with the camera doesn't work and you have to have the updated firmware. You'll need help from Cisco at 866-606-1866 to get it downloaded properly and modified in your directory to where it'll work. You have to have the camera set up with the right firmware, get the software loaded for the install, set up the router and the firewall, and do the install. If you're a super geek you can probably do it all yourself, otherwise get help from Cisco. Many/most of the Cisco Forum area comments are outdated or wrong and their recommendations just don't work. It all depends of getting the right firmware, what kind of router you're using, and the tech agent you get to help, especially with the firmware update. I definitely am going to buy a second camera and maybe a third.

2.0 out of 5 stars At least it didn't burn my house down...., February 7, 2011
Bought this camera as a home security item after owning one of the even cheaper Linksys IP cams. I have a networking and integration background, so setup was easy for me. I can see how someone who doesn't work in that area would have trouble, though. It's motion is extremely noisy, I guess it comes from the plastic gearboxes attached to the drive motors. The zoom is virtually useless, being digital zoom, not optical zoom. The microphone works well. Wireless range is pretty shabby. It was sitting in a room directly below my access point (Linksys) and its position still needed to be tweaked to get reception. Optically, this camera is a step ahead of its much cheaper brother, but not worth the additional $100+

But, after 18 months, it quit working. I unplugged it and noticed a strong burning electronics smell. Once I determined that my warranty was only one year, I tore it apart. The panning motor had overheated to the point that it had melted its plastic gearbox. Had I not noticed this, there is no telling what the result may have been. Obviously, there is no feedback loop that tells system that even though it is sending current to the motor, it is not moving the camera and maybe it should stop doing that. This thing was very hot, even 15 minutes after unplugging it.

Overall, if you want a decent IP camera, you generally get what you pay for. I am looking at the mid-range Vivoteks. If you want real quality, look at the Sony or Axis units. Yes, those cost a fortune, but they are not toys, either.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 2:30:06 PM PDT
Hi D. Engel,

Sorry to hear about the overheating problem you experienced with the WVC210. This is the first we've heard of such an issue. The camera is designed to run continuously, so that shouldn't have caused the camera to overheat. In order to determine what may have caused the product to overheat, we'd need more information about the environment where you've located the camera. For troubleshooting assistance, the Small Business Support Community (http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport) is a good resource for troubleshooting assistance.

Thank you for your feedback!