5.0 out of 5 stars I'm loving it
I'm puzzled with the low reviews of the others here. I'm loving CIM2. I never played the original, so I can't compare. I'm a huge fan of the Simcity series, but the recent DRM fiasco as forced me to look elsewhere. I realize this isn't a city building sim, but it seems to be meeting my architectural needs.

The graphics are quite nice, and I much prefer the...
Published 16 months ago by Andrew

3.0 out of 5 stars Will Be Great....I Hope
This is a somewhat early impression review, but after playing it regularly for a few days, I thought a review was needed, pointing out the good and bad points of the game so far. I will try to hit the major differences between CiM1 and other issues.

Published 16 months ago by Sajinor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Will Be Great....I Hope, April 4, 2013
This review is from: Cities in Motion II [Online Game Code] (Software Download)

The first thing you will see, of course, is the graphics. They are clean and sharp, but not outstanding, especially for the load they put on a graphics card. I honestly preferred the look of CiM1, even if it were a bit cartoony. The interface is a bit clunky and takes some getting used to as well. The one in CiM1 was generally smoother, but this one has more options to handle.

Gameplay is where things get more complicated. You may not hear this in a review of a simulation game very often, but this game can be brutal and unforgiving with a sharp learning curve. The tutorial covers the basics, but ignores large parts of the game, including the most complicated and expensive transportation method, the metro. Couple this with the abundance of options both major and minor and you can start to feel overwhelmed. Mistakes are easy to make, and the game has no undo button. A series of small, innocent mistakes led to me demolishing a city block with no way to put it back together. The city will rebuild itself, but your wallet won't.

The gameplay isn't all bad, though. You can build much more interesting lines and nothing is limited to the 8 directions as it was in CiM1. You can build single rails to save money, or up to quad rails for your traffic packed subways. You can choose which lane of the street you want the tram to travel in, determining where the traffic is light or to take advantage of bus lanes. Modifying streets and pedestrian walk way is also much easier and cheaper. This allows you to create closer to the exact transportation system you want. The cities, although fake, continue to live and evolve, even rebuilding themselves after you get trigger happy with the bulldozer, as mentioned before. Finally, being able to create fare zones is one of my favorite additions to the game.

Time tables and depots have both good and bad parts to them. The time tables introduce rush hour and other concepts to the game, but on longer routes, a bus may take an entire game day to finish its route, making the schedule moot. The depots are a good addition as they add some realism to service needs, but it must be attached to all routes, complicating many route designs. Another odd design note is that you no longer see heavy vehicle or pedestrian traffic around the city. It is there, but always very light. I enjoyed seeing the city in motion.

I cannot comment on multiplayer, because as of the time of this writing, it is broken. The team has said they are working on it. It appears to be a nice addition to help friend work together or compete, but not a game changer.

I am sorry if I missed other features you were curious about, but I think I hit the major points of the game. Overall, the game is a lot of fun, but it is made very difficult by various bugs and the lack of some gameplay refinements, hence the 3 star rating. There is a patch to be released soon, and I will update my review depending on what it fixes or changes. Just an undo button and/or auto save feature would bring it up a star for me. 3 stars may seem low, but I will certainly be raising it if the patches are solid. After seeing CiM1 develop over the years, I have high hopes on CiM2 becoming a solid title for a steal of a price.

Edit 4/13: A patch was released a little while back, but it only addressed the multiplayer and a few interface improvements. I only played around with the multiplayer for a little bit, but it was good to collaborate with someone on a transportation system. The vs. system isn't particularly competitive. I am on the verge of moving the rating up, but they need to fix some real problems in the game to get it up to par. In playing longer, I have found both more things I enjoy and some things I don't.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm loving it, April 5, 2013
Andrew (Burbank, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cities in Motion II [Online Game Code] (Software Download)

The graphics are quite nice, and I much prefer the realistic look. I played simcity 2013 beta and I must say I prefer the look of CIM2.

The interface is fine. It's easy to create twisting roads and train tracks as you cut through mountains and coastal cliffs.

The maps are huge in CIM2, I can't believe how Maxis blew it on Simcity with that one.

The game is tough and you have to be careful not to make mistakes as there is no undo button....something that should be included as it's easy to lay a huge stretch of track and realize it was a mistake.

I'm really surprised this game hasn't had more press. It's far more fun than CitiesXL and beats the always online and tiny city sizes of Simcity.

For $20, any god game fan must pick this one up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Game that is Worth it under $10, not so much for $20, March 30, 2014
This review is from: Cities in Motion II [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Here's the deal. At $20 or more this game is simply not worth it. Sorry, it's true. On the other hand, if you pay $3.99 like I did on a sale day, it is an amazing value!

This is NOT a building game. This is not Simcity. You can only build transportation related stuff. No buildings, no anything else. If you lay down roads, buildings will pop up, expanding city population and by extension the number of people who use your transportation systems thereby making you more money. Otherwise, you're laying down metro rails, tram rails, bus routes, ferry routes, etc.

It actually is pretty fun for a while. I enjoyed it. It seems to have a multiplayer feature which appears to be completely useless. The campaign gives 12 scenarios to complete. Most are about expanding coverage or hitting a certain company value. Once you figure out that all you have to do is lay down a metro route or two and the cash comes flying in, the rest gets pretty easy. Still it's pretty fun for a while to play with. It does get old after a while but I didn't hit that until I was about done with the campaigns anyway and was close to done with the game.

So if you can pick it up for under $10, it's a good deal and you'll get your money's worth from it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Constant crashes, May 31, 2013
This review is from: Cities in Motion II [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
The game play and interface are incredible. There is a problem I continually experience where the game constantly crashes with little or no warning. If you don't save every 5 minutes you lose a lot of your game. Game publisher offers very little support and the contact chain for support is very confusing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fun after a couple hours, June 1, 2013
This review is from: Cities in Motion II [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
So I came back from Europe (specifically Switzerland and Germany) and wanted to play around with a public transit simulator. This is apparently the best. Well, it's not very good.

First, don't waste time on the tutorial, just watch a couple youtube videos showing how ti play. The tutorial skips over important points like how EVERYTHING is directional, including metro stations. It looks like the 'tutorial' for an open source game. Basically plan on spending 2-3 hours learning how the interface works and how to lay out these cyclical routes for 'different' vehicles.

Second, the gameplay is OK, but not great. Amazing how very much manual work is needed in this simulator. There's NO help whatsoever. I remember in SC4, you could click on the building and find out where people from that building worked. Well in this game, you have to click on each building, then on each individual person, then click again on the name of the job site (since they're all called 'factory' or 'power plant' or 'apartment building') and try to plan a route. Seeing how a building may have 20-30 occupants, it's just not worth the work and for every person it would take like 4 or 5 clicks with 2-3 windows opening on the screen. Instead, just build a long trolley line to start from one end of the map to the other and it'll be making money in no time. Scheduling is also a manual nightmare. Could maybe the game suggest that xyz line needs more frequent service due to crowding at such and such hour? No? You have to watch the buses and trains fill up and then adjust it yourself? Wow fun I guess. Also, annoying messages about fees being either too high or too low. Non stop. Really? There's no 'automatic' rate setting?

Third, as a simulator this is just not that realistic. Passenger path finding results in them taking weird routes. More importantly, if you have one or two profitable lines, you can easily make enough money to build a metro from one end of the city to the other in a couple weeks. Real public transit systems are never profitable, not to mention being able to pay for capital expenses. On the first map in the scenarios, I was making $250,000 a week from all my lines in no time. Speaking of time, the routes take FOREVER. An empty bus or train will take half an hour of game time to travel two blocks. Apparently these people are OK with a 6 hour commute each way every day. Doesn't leave much time for work, but I guess in Europe it's not a problem.

Fourth, the game stops being fun after you learn how to put down the lines. The road vehicles are almost all the same, and every 'scenario' is basically the same thing over again (i.e. reach 20-70% coverage). I played through the first 9 scenarios and couldn't take it anymore. On the 10th scenario I was put in front of a blank map with 100,000 and instructed to reach xzy% coverage. I don't see why I should bother since I've done EXACTLY this challenge at least 8 times already. It felt like housework would be more fun and productive.

In summary, it was fun for about 10 hours after 3 hours of frustrating annoyance with the interface, but then became pointless. NOT worth $20, maybe $5.99 would be a fair price.

UPDATE: I just got an e-mail announcing a $5 add-on pack that increases the number of buses available. Really? FIVE BUCKS? For something that should have been included to begin with? Whatever. This game does not have enough variety in it, adding a couple new vehicles (especially at this price) is nowhere near enough to redeem it. These sort of vehicle packs were $2.99 in the previous iteration, now they're $4.99.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but slower than molasses, May 31, 2013
This review is from: Cities in Motion II [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I loved the original Cities in Motion and decided to see what the new version was like. It has some nice additional capabilities and a more detailed refined look. BUT,it runs so incredibly slowly that I can't take it.

I want to return this product!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but maybe not for beginners!, November 6, 2013
This review is from: Cities in Motion II [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
The game is very complex and takes some serious time investment to understand and make rewarding. That said, it's far more realistic than Sim CIty. For the low cost, I find it a good deal. It's given me lots of hours of challenging game play figuring out how everything works. There is an in-game tutorial, that's fairly helpful, and there are lots of blogs and youtubes explaining game play. Fun, but not for beginners!

3.0 out of 5 stars good if you like simulation games, August 1, 2013
This review is from: Cities in Motion II [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
But very detailed almost to a fault. Routing lines is tedious and there seems to be a steep learning curve.. I only played for a few hours but never really made any progress.. Haven't played much more than that..this is good for Micromanagers..I prefer something a little more on the Macro side.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, April 7, 2013
This review is from: Cities in Motion II [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
A massive step up from the original game. For one, the cities are much larger. Furthermore, you can now set timetables, and the simulation feels much more realistic with an actual time cycle and things like depots. Laying down tracks is also much more flexible now. You can now build your own infrastructure like roads, rails, and bridges. The graphics are a bit better, and you can now zoom down to street level and you can tilt the camera. The game also runs much faster than the previous game. The map editor is massively improved, meaning that you no longer have to micromanage the placement of every building.

Some people praise the new interface, but I actually find it bit harder to get used to. However, it does actually appear to be a little simpler to use once you've played the game for a while. Overall, the game feels a lot more polished than the original. Another issue is the multiplayer, which has been incredibly buggy since launch. Avoid it until a patch comes out. There are also some glitches with the trees and certain events not resolving, but these are rare and are easily resolved in game. In any case, these are small issues that haven't really impacted my enjoyment of the game.

Be aware that this is a fairly difficult game in campaign mode. While it is a simulation, it would be better thought of as a complex puzzle game. You can't just carry passengers from the residential areas to workplaces; it's far more complicated than that. Putting tram tracks in the wrong lane will cause massive issues later. It may be incredibly complex, but it's also very rewarding. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars If it aint broke, DON'T fix it!, March 12, 2014
This review is from: Cities in Motion II [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Having played the first Cities in Motion I was excited to get this at a great price. Oh well we live and learn, the interface is confusing, controls are confusing and apart from really cool graphics, I would stick to playing the first and leave this one alone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›