Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

Format: DVD|Change

on March 15, 2008
From the first time I saw the episode trailer I was hooked; it makes you long for more. Sometimes I feel like fewer suspenseful replays would allow for more information to be inserted and that is probably my only complaint. However the host is a bit self-centered and annoys us. I think they were concerned with the cool/hip image of him to attract younger viewers, but he is annoying.

I look for the series to be awarded some recognition for their ability to document historical places which have never before been aired on television. Sadly, most are old, and crumbling and are not being preserved. SO the value of this series is truly priceless. Still each time I see a new episode it renews my enthusiasm to travel to Europe some day. This is a hit, and would be a great program to incorporate into any school-based curricila. Well done.

I am buying one to give as a gift to someone who does not have access to the History Channel. Thank you for instilling a passion and interest for history into my kids. I never though it would happen.
on July 22, 2011
The host(s) make no pretense of knowing more than they think they do and that's refreshing for a start. The other thing that's refreshing is their sheer enthusiasm for the places they visit. You really get a sense of being there with them. Having said that, the Portland episode and the Hitler's bunkers episode were the least interesting to me, I loved the Paris Catacombs, Turkey and Istanbul episodes the most. I laughed like a hyena at the host's enthusiasm to get into a rubber dinghy and go underneath the foundations of a school in search of Justinian's circus in Istanbul, that was awesome, and I wish he'd gone further. Overall, this is a wonderful series that shows the amazing ingenuity of the human mind and that no matter how far we think we've come with our science and technology, our forefathers were just as creative and inventive as we are today. I'd recommend this show to anyone with a love of history or things that are hidden underneath our cities.
on July 16, 2008
If you ever wanted to explore all the hidden places in the world or are amazed that people actually lived under the cities as we know them, get this series. I couldn't stop watching them and learned so much about our history. Great to watch alone or with another history geek. Heck, call me and I'll come watch them again with you!
on January 7, 2008
This is a fascinating topic but the coverage of each city seems so incomplete! For example, the episode on NYC doesn't even mention the mole people. How can they talk about what goes on under NYC without even a single word about the thousands of people who live underground?! Perhaps the folks at the History Channel made a decision to leave the viewer wanting more, but I think they should have committed to two episodes (or three or four) for most cities. I also wonder why the city of Portland, Oregon is included in this set when there are so many cities around the world with more interesting stories to tell. It seems out of place in this series: London, Paris, Edinburgh, Rome, Naples, Budapest, Berlin... and Portland, Oregon?!? What were they thinkin'? And the two hosts of the show are less than stellar -- Eric Geller refuses to step aside to let us enjoy the footage of caves, sunken cities, lost art, and long forgotten worlds. He's always front and center, over-enthusiastically saying something either obvious or stupid. The second host, Don Wildman, is distracting with his constant "Oh my God!" and bleeped out swearing. (This shows poor editing -- if Don can't contain himself, why bleep the offending words rather than just removing them?) I'm not sure why the History Channel went with these "regular guy" hosts rather than someone more educated and/or credible, perhaps someone with more reverence for ancient artifacts, early engineering and architecture, and an understanding of their place in history. But despite my many criticisms, all in all, this is a great series based on the concept and footage (hats off to the cameraman!), and I think most people would find it interesting and educational. I certainly learned a lot about world history from this series and I am eager to do some reading to learn more.
on February 19, 2015
Glad they changed the host, the 2nd (and enduring) host of the show was infinitely better. We love this show so much and wish that it was still on!! Each episode is packed with such great history and awe, as he goes to places around the world "underground." The only thing that I don't like is the theme song! :) Everything else is great, each show is so great. We can't even pick a favorite and enjoy watching them over again with others!
on July 8, 2013
this is the most fascinating documentary series I have seen in a long time. It is amazing the we can go where no man has gone before, for hundreds and sometimes thousands of years with 'access all areas'.
The reason I knocked off a star is that I found the rapid camerawork and fast cutting VERY annoying. And the presenter is so 'in your face' as he rapidly hurries around as if things are going to change in the next few minutes. This terrific programme is crying out for a Michael Palin or Tony Robinson to take control of the narration and do it properly. Also, and this is a big gripe, someone tell all American narrators that it is not "Edinboro" !!! As a Scot, I was horrified. Can they not do basic research ?
Camerawork and narration aside, this is a superb look into history and it is very hard not to watch it several times. Enjoy going underground and overlook the faults. Highly recommended.
I've always been fascinated by abandoned underground settings, the older, the better. "Cities of the Underworld" is a dream come true, especially the material on Rome and Paris. Not only does the series get access to these sites, but also knowledgeable guides and excellent lighting. This really is "Must See TV!"
on February 1, 2008
These episodes are addictive, and I was thrilled to see them released on DVD, as my DVR was too full to keep them and I enjpy repeat viewings....and so do my students.

Note that this is NOT PBS-babble -- it's a fun exploration of the underground of major (and some minor) cities. It's written and performed for the everyman, not for the scholar (many of whom have already seen these things themselves). The hosts are alternately fun, annoying, and intrusive. Like a personal buddy might be if he was guiding you underground. This is obviously directed that way, since Don Wildman is a trained professional actor and Eric Geller is normally softspoken and introspective -- here both are "in awe" a lot.

The camera work here is absolutely stunning -- as they explore underground, you forget that there is a camera crew attached to the project, lighting the walls, lighting everything you see. It is truly amazing camera work.

So Paris includes the highly-tourist travelled Catacombs...and NYC includes the Waldorf-Astoria presidential track (are there New Yorkers that still don't look out the windows of the subway or Metro North and see those things for themselves?) but it also includes the mysterious M42 subbasement, and a cool look at the Empire State Building basement. Best Episode: Dracula's Underground and the Pilot Episode: Istanbul (amazing). Worst Episode: Portland.

These are completely entertaining, and include cities and town that you might normally not know about and see. They are also left wide-open for repeat visits to larger cities (there have already been two Rome episodes for example) and they could do countless Paris underground episodes.

If you have already seen the series, you will be as hooked as most of us who can't wait for each new episode. If you are new to the series, download an episode from Amazon or iTunes and you will most likely be as hooked as the rest of us, then you can purchase the entire set.

This is genuinely one of the few tv dvd box sets that I bought the day it came out. Of course, containing only 10 1/2 hours of programming it had all been watched two days later.
on October 30, 2008
This has proven to be a very interesting TV show, but it lacks a lot of detail about any of the locations. It seems to be rushed.
on May 16, 2014
This account of EDINBURGH'S Underground Vaults is so incredible. . .what an Amazing City and her history is something that could partially come out of Robert Louis Stevenson's and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fervent imaginations.
DVD arrived on time and perfect condition! Thanks so much.