Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on October 18, 2012
I was looking for a watch with just the basic functions hour hand, second hand, minute hand, and date. It came down to this and the Seiko Men's SSC013 White Dial Watch. I bought both and I am really happy that I did. Below I will tell you why and compare the two watches but first I'll give you my thoughts on this watch.

Other reviewers have noted that the watch hands look dark blue or almost black, unlike the bright (almost pastel blue pictured). This is true in certain lighting conditions. The hour, minute, and second hands are anodized blue so the hands will appear different depending on the lighting conditions. As I type this at my desk with sunlight and lights on over my head the hands appear as light blue (like the picture - only less saturation... I think somebody cranked the saturation levels in photoshop or lightroom before submitting the product pics to amazon). If I rotate my wrist to another position then the hands appear a dark blue (somewhere between navy and black). Bottom line: understand that the hands are anodized not painted so their color will be a function of the lighting conditions and the angle you look at the watch.

I spend most of my day in business casual or professional attire (suit and tie or slacks and a longsleeve, button-down shirt). This watch fits perfect with a formal look. The black leather band is a nice contrast to the oyster (think muted-silver face). I like that the watch has both a day of the week and date dial. As others have noted it is a bit of a bummer that the user can wind the stem to change the date from the 1st to the 31st quickly but not the day of the week. No big deal - I just sat watching TV winding the stem around and around from 12AM to 12PM on and on until the say of the week dial moved from Sunday to Thursday. I'm sure in a more expensive watch Citizen would incorporated the day of the week dial into the stem but that means more $$$ and one of the greatest things going for this timepiece is the price.

I am a pretty big guy (my thumb and middle finger will not touch (about 1/2 inch of space between them) when I wrap them around my left wrist - so my biggest concern when buying a watch is the size of the face and the length of the band. The band is leather so it will stretch (mine is on the second to last hole after a week). In another week I will probably be able to move it to the third to last hole. I think this watch is perfect in size - not too thin but not too think. It is classy without being a "Hey look at me I'm gaudy" type of thing.

My bottom line - a wonderful watch that does not need batteries, EXTREMELY affordable from a manufacturer known throughout the world. I am VERY happy with the purchase and laugh when coworkers guess that I cost over $1000.00 - I laugh and say "a little less than that." I do agree that this looks like a $1000.00 + watch. Good luck to you in your purchasing decision - I hope this review has helped.

As for the comparison to Seiko Men's SSC013 White Dial Watch (I have a review up for that watch as well). The only thing I think you should consider is that the Seiko can be dressed up or dressed down. This gives the Seiko an edge in flexibility if that is what you need out of a watch. I would feel funny with the Citizen on my wrist if I were wearing jeans, a polo, and sandals or some leather shoes - the citizen screams 'formal' whereas the Seiko can be dressed up or down. THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM for me because I bought the citizen to be a formal watch - just understand that changing the band may be necessary if you want this citizen to look a little more dressed down in a casual type of situation. Another note: the Seiko has a chronograph and an alarm feature so please keep these things in mind because my only basis of comparison is LOOKS... the Seiko has more features so it will have a higher price point. - Cheers
on December 21, 2014
Well, it's definitely not as brilliantly light blue as the picture suggests, unless (as other reviews have stated) you turn your wrist until the overhead lighting is "just right," then, not only is it a bright blue, but to me, I can read the dial more clearly; like the tiny,tiny tiny little dial that gives you the date. I have to really focus on it before I can "get" the date. The day of the week is much easier to read. Overall, I am very glad that I now have this watch, but I will only wear it on weekends, because although I think it is very attractive, I can't read the date easily, like I can with my smaller, easier to read Seiko Men's SNE045 Solar White Dial Watch, which I will try to add a photo, to compare them side by side. Thanks.
review image
on January 8, 2015
The watch face in the photo looks completely white. While in reality its kind of a silver gray (color changes depending on the angle of the light). The seconds needle does not match up with the seconds hash marks on the face. The hands appear a pretty light blue in the photo. In reality the hands are a very shiny (polished reflective) dark blue under most viewing angles. You only get that bright blue under certain light angle, which explains why even the in the picture the hour and the minute hands are a different color. Overall I'm satisfied with the watch, however I wish the face was a true white, and hands were matte light blue, like they sort of appear in the photo. As always the watch arrived promptly and well packaged with Amazon Prime shipping.
review image
on December 4, 2012
I bought this watch for my boyfriend for his birthday, and it's EXACTLY what I was looking for. I read some reviews saying the blue hands weren't as blue as the picture, they do look a little dark if the light isn't shining right on them, but they are definitely blue and you can tell they are. It's nice, because it doesn't look cheap. I think this watch is a nice mix between casual and business. The price was great too, seeing how retail stores were selling the same exact watch for $235.00. I'm very satisfied with my purchase.
on March 24, 2014
I'm wearing this watch right now. It's perfect. I love Citizen watches. This is my fourth. Don't even get me started on Eco Drive. I'm way too lazy to change watch batteries, so solar powered watches are perfect for me. It's a comfortable fit; synthetic leather band, so it isn't stretching. Fairly light; hardly notice it on my wrist. I'm surprised this is called a casual watch; with a different band I could see it, but I wouldn't wear a black leather strap watch with anything less than business casual with black dress shoes. Maybe jeans and a blazer. I'm wearing it with a suit right now and it's perfect.

Looks: this is a beautiful watch. The black numbers jump off the white face, and the blue hands are subtle, until they catch the light and you get a shock of metallic blue. Really attractive. Adds some life to a boring dress watch without adding flash.

Size: my ideal size for a dress watch. I feel like guys have been getting bigger and bigger watches, and it looks awful. This is big enough to look manly on my wrist, but not huge. Only issue I have is that it's a bit thicker than dress watches I'm used to. Maybe that's a sign that it is a casual watch. Still fits under my cuff though, so no issue.

Build: as with all Citizens, I expect to be wearing this watch in ten years. I don't know how they build such sturdy, well made, attractive watches and sell them for what they do. I have watches from other makers in this price range and nothing touches Citizen in terms of quality.

Telling time: this is where the watch really shines. It tells me what time it is, what the date is, and what day of the week it is. 5 stars in that department.

Doing laundry: I haven't had the watch for very long, but so far I have not seen it do any laundry. If it doesn't start to pitch in around the house soon, we may ask it to start paying rent.

Hosting the show Cosmos: this watch is not Neil Degrasse Tyson, so it does not host the show Cosmos on Fox. But if it did, it would probably do a pretty good job.
on July 24, 2013
This is a solid, dressy-looking watch that doesn't have a comma in the price tag, and for what it is it's great. The "solar" charging is very handy and a cool detail you don't see from too many other (maybe any other) makers. Fit and finish are good, it feels like a much more expensive watch. Other reviewers have noted a slightly stiff band and that was true for mine, but it wasn't a big deal. It'll break in. The hands are a blue and, when not in direct light, they're quite dark. However, if you reflect any kind of light off them they're as bright as the picture. Setting the day subdial is a bit of a chore, but a few minutes of twisting the crown and you'll have it. Time and date are as you'd expect. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a nice watch under $200.
on August 11, 2012
Excited to be the first reviewer of this watch. This is a very good watch and it's an eco-drive. Also, the price was good on Amazon.
My only problem was with the blue hands. The picture shows them to be bright and kind of a matte finish. But the watch I received has a very dark/deep blue with shiny hands. Looks like black hands most of the times. But overall I am very happy with my purchase.
on December 24, 2015
Love this! I have been searching for an everyday watch that is both casual yet formal. I tried to go for a minimal bauhaus style look with a Rodina watch, but I didn't like the automatic nature and also thought it looked a bit too fancy.

I then tried the Citizen Men's AW1361-01E. Loved the look of the face, but I found it too large. I have very small and bony wrists, and the large 45mm face, in addition to the ridiculously thick leather band was just too much for me.

And then I found this watch. Blue on white is a favorite of mine, so I just had to check this out. Got it at a good price and am in love! The Eco-Drive means that I don't have to wear it every day to keep it going, and also no battery to worry about. The band is basic but comfortable. The face is maybe 1-2mm too small in my opinion. Just a tad larger and it would be perfect for my tastes. The way that the hands shine blue at certain angles is gorgeous, it would look tacky if it was always light blue. The dial is also not too thick either. Just a perfect all around watch that I will likely be wearing for a very long time.
review image review image
on October 12, 2013
I bought this watch discounted through warehouse deals and I am glad I did. I own another citizen watch that I purchased on a cruise (Citizen Men's BZ0016-50E The Signature Collection Eco-Drive Grand Complication Watch), which is what led to me to purchase this one. Everything on the watch goes well together and is a nice watch to compliment a nice suit or any other nice attire you may put on. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a simple watch to wear day to day or for wearing out to dinner or a nice event. (I challenge anyone to tell you it is an inexpensive watch, doesn't look it!). Leather was a little stiff but that is expected, will soften over time.
on December 31, 2015
I ordered this watch in order to have a second watch to wear on occasion. I was looking at several different watches and then came across this one. I noticed that this particular watch charges using light (indoor light, sunshine). The watch is similar to a Seiko Kinetic (not needing a battery). I do own a Seiko Kinetic watch which I do wear on a daily basis and have had for quite sometime. I like the fact too that this watch, when fully charged will run for approximately 6 months. I read the reviews on this watch and they were mostly positive with some negative ones. I decided to purchase it and give it a try. Let me tell you, I have only had this watch one day and is already starting to become one of my favorites. It is a classy looking watch which is comfortable to wear (leather band) but I may decide to get a metal band for it eventually. So far, from the little time I've owned it, it does keep good time. I like to set my watches exact to the second (that due to being in the broadcast field and having the exact time to meet the network for news, etc.). I am also one (and this is petty), that hates when I set a watch and then the minute hand is in between the numbers when the second had reaches 12. I like when the second hand reaches 12 and the minute hand is right on the number - (I will keep setting the watch until I do achieve that, but like I said, it's a petty thing on my part). I think you won't go wrong with purchasing this watch. I really do like it a lot and looks like it will be a watch always worn on the weekends and days off.