Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th

on March 21, 2010
Well, this is a watch for the guy who has it all and wants something that looks great but is wholly impractical. It is, as advertized, a black watch; band, face, hands, and all. No date window because you wouldn't be able to see it anyway. No back light either. I guess that would have taken some of the fun out of it. Being able to tell the time of day is challenging in the direct sunlight, forget trying when the sun goes down. Telling time is really incidental with this design but really that is not the intent of this watch anyway.

I give it five stars because it really looks cool and for use at a formal or semi-formal event it fits the bill...who cares what time it is when you are at a party right!? If you need to know what time it is then ask someone else ;-) All kidding aside, this watch has the eco-drive technology on board so a couple of hours of sunlight gets you months of accurate time keeping. You can see the hands in a well lit room when you turn your wrist. It has a very slim profile so it is really an elegant time piece. Surely not very many people will actually shell out 300 plus clams for a watch that is very hard to read so it is almost guaranteed to be a unique piece where ever you go. I love it.

Bottom line: it is definitely not a watch for everyday use, but for those outings when you want a little something different on your wrist that will be an eye catcher and conversation piece, if you accept the aesthetic qualities over functionality then this is a great choice.
44 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2012
This is my daily watch, and I love it. As a girl with a love for mens watches, I unfortunately have a very slim wrist that's only about 12 cm in circumference, meaning most large watches don't fit me at all - anything with a leather strap instead of a bracelet, a face larger than say 40 mm, thicker than 12 mm, etc.

This watch was my first mens watch, and ticks all the boxes for me - ultra thin at about 5 mm, shortenable bracelet, not too wide at the lugs - and has the added bonus of being black on black, only my favourite colour combination ever. It sits on me very differently than it would sit on a mens wrist, the face almost reaches both sides of my wrist, but that adds to its dramatic look. I still get people asking me where I got it, especially women who wouldn't think to look in the mens section. I turned up to a family dinner with it and found a distant uncle wearing it too, which was hilarious because I'm a tiny Asian girl and he was a large Aussie male.

I will say that after 4 years of almost daily wear, the part of the bracelet that sits under my wrist, touching table tops, etc has started to lose some of its black IP coating, which is a shame. Having said that, it still looks great, and theres not a single scratch on the face. Pretty sure I'll keep wearing this watch until the black coating becomes too worn out, then I'll have to search for some alternatives with a stronger finish, but this shape, size and slimness will be hard to beat.
on July 29, 2013
Great style, sleek and slimlined (I will NOT wear a hockey puck on my wrist). I really like the Eco-Drive that solar powers the watch without needing an external battery. The only drawback is the all black watch face where sometimes glare from indoor lights can make it unreadable without angling my wrist just right.

Update: The "black plating" wore off on the wrist band in less than a year, showing patches of silver underneath, making the watch look cheap and of low quality. I didn't wear it during any heavy lifting or home improvement etc. either. Really disappointing.
on August 27, 2010
I saw this watch in St. Maarten in a jewelry store and instantly fell in love with it. I shopped around and got a great price and am so happy with it. It's funny how every one of us who reviews it says the same thing: It's hard to read, but it's so beautiful and striking that it's really worth the extra effort to tell the time. This is by far the best watch I have ever owned. It has the Eco-Drive technology, is profoundly thin, and embodies the best of minimalism. The all-black aesthetic is understated, cool and dignified. The crystal also lives up to its billing--no scratches. I would recommend this watch to anyone. After all, few of us buy a watch only for the purpose of monitoring the time.
on March 3, 2013
I bought this watch for my husband. This is what he wrote:

Watches are what they are.
They tell you the time.
Some watches tell you the time stylishly enough to get compliments from strangers.
This is one of those watches.
It doesn't matter where I go or what crowd I'm in, there are many that notice this watch. Of those many, several feel strongly enough to compliment me.
This watch is black. On black. On black. In full daylight, or in a well-lit room, or in a moderately-lit room, this is not a problem. If you are locked in a basement without windows, or a closet, or a cave, or the woods at night, you will not be able to see the face of this watch. Because it is black. On black. On black.
If you want to see the time in the dark in the woods or a basement or a cave or your secret panic room built into the walls of your breakfast nook, that's fine. Go buy some $10 glow-in-the-dark watch from your friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart. Ten-year-olds might not hold it against you, but adults will. Stylish adults will.

I have to wrap this up, so I'm going to leave you with this: Buy this watch. Wear it proudly. Know that you are the coolest-looking man in the room. Always.

Signed,
April's Husband.
Good Day.
on December 18, 2010
If you're reading reviews I'm guessing this watch instantly appealed to you. With its "love it or hate it" style, the watch has that effect. As advertised, it truely is black on black on black...on black. The hands and hour marks are polished against the matte face, so they do catch light and make it possible to tell time as long as there's a nearby light source. If it's dark, then just forget about it and pull out your phone.

The watch is very light and very thin, while still being large enough to maintain a masculine look. The band is smooth and articulates well so the watch comfortably conforms to the wrist and not the other way around. It's one of the few watches I've worn that I've actually forgotten I was wearing. The clasp seems solid and the jeweling is a nice little touch. After a few weeks I've yet to see any signs of wear.

As to the watch's performance, it's a Citizen Eco-Drive. Not much else to say. It keeps time flawlessly and never needs batteries, it just goes and goes. My Eco-Drives have spoiled me to the point that I probably couldn't own a watch that isn't self-powered. They accurately and unendingly function and I recommend them whenever I get the chance. So, if the style caught your eye, do not hesitate. You will not be disappointed.
on January 22, 2014
I like to look good. Who doesn't. However, I tend to be very picky when it comes to what I wear. When I bought this watch I was very skeptical. People's reviews about how they couldn't read the watch and how unpractical it was made me nervous, but I don't like the large faces on watches that are becoming ever more popular so I bought it. When it arrived in the mail I could not have been more happy with my choice. The watch is amazing, It was exactly what I was hoping for. It's slim without being feminine, lightweight without looking cheap and even though it looks subtle it is everything but. It looks just as great in formal wear as in semi-formal wear. As for not being able to read the time, I have hardly ever had an issue. The only place I can't see the time is in certain clubs at night, and even then all I had to do was catch the light right. This watch is by far the best accessory I own to the point where if this watch ever got lost or stolen I would simply buy another one.
on October 26, 2011
This is the most stunning watch I ever had, very minimalistic. Quite confortable in my wrist. Lots of compliments when I'm wearing it.
on March 19, 2012
This watch is exactly what I thought it would be. It looks classy and very light on the hand. Only problem is that telling time is damn near impossible because of the shiny surface! I don't mind since I bought it for aesthetics and not practicality. If I could, I'd give it a 4.5 since the .5 penalty is from the lack of visibility of the actual hands. Otherwise, you get what you paid for!
on February 15, 2011
This watch is definitely one of the most uncommon pieces in my collection. Sometimes I can't believe I bought it. But after seeing it in a department store display case, I fell in love with it and just had to have it. You get the "blacked-out" look with this one to be sure. Besides the black, I like the case size, slimness, large dial opening (almost no bezel at all, and wears like a 40mm), and the black IP bracelet. I like the look on my wrist. Very futuristic in the sense that it doesn't look like a watch, at least not one than anyone could read from a distance (looks like a plain black disk on the wrist). But, in most light situations, you can see and read the dark, metallic blue hands.

And of course it is an Eco-drive, so no battery to worry about. Also, the case diameter is not 31mm as listed on the Amazon specs for this watch. I just measured it, it comes in at 36.25mm, but as I said, it wears more like a 40mm due to the very large dial opening and minimal bezel width.