5.0 out of 5 stars It Is What It Is
Published on March 21, 2010 by political idiot

2.0 out of 5 stars Updated
Great style, sleek and slimlined (I will NOT wear a hockey puck on my wrist). I really like the Eco-Drive that solar powers the watch without needing an external battery. The only drawback is the all black watch face where sometimes glare from indoor lights can make it unreadable without angling my wrist just right.

Update: The "black plating" wore off on...
Published 15 months ago by drbarry1

5.0 out of 5 stars It Is What It Is, March 21, 2010
This review is from: Citizen Men's AR3015-53E Eco-Drive "Stiletto" Black Dress Watch (Watch)
Well, this is a watch for the guy who has it all and wants something that looks great but is wholly impractical. It is, as advertized, a black watch; band, face, hands, and all. No date window because you wouldn't be able to see it anyway. No back light either. I guess that would have taken some of the fun out of it. Being able to tell the time of day is challenging in the direct sunlight, forget trying when the sun goes down. Telling time is really incidental with this design but really that is not the intent of this watch anyway.

I give it five stars because it really looks cool and for use at a formal or semi-formal event it fits the bill...who cares what time it is when you are at a party right!? If you need to know what time it is then ask someone else ;-) All kidding aside, this watch has the eco-drive technology on board so a couple of hours of sunlight gets you months of accurate time keeping. You can see the hands in a well lit room when you turn your wrist. It has a very slim profile so it is really an elegant time piece. Surely not very many people will actually shell out 300 plus clams for a watch that is very hard to read so it is almost guaranteed to be a unique piece where ever you go. I love it.

Bottom line: it is definitely not a watch for everyday use, but for those outings when you want a little something different on your wrist that will be an eye catcher and conversation piece, if you accept the aesthetic qualities over functionality then this is a great choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, even after 4 years constant wear., August 10, 2012
This is my daily watch, and I love it. As a girl with a love for mens watches, I unfortunately have a very slim wrist that's only about 12 cm in circumference, meaning most large watches don't fit me at all - anything with a leather strap instead of a bracelet, a face larger than say 40 mm, thicker than 12 mm, etc.

This watch was my first mens watch, and ticks all the boxes for me - ultra thin at about 5 mm, shortenable bracelet, not too wide at the lugs - and has the added bonus of being black on black, only my favourite colour combination ever. It sits on me very differently than it would sit on a mens wrist, the face almost reaches both sides of my wrist, but that adds to its dramatic look. I still get people asking me where I got it, especially women who wouldn't think to look in the mens section. I turned up to a family dinner with it and found a distant uncle wearing it too, which was hilarious because I'm a tiny Asian girl and he was a large Aussie male.

I will say that after 4 years of almost daily wear, the part of the bracelet that sits under my wrist, touching table tops, etc has started to lose some of its black IP coating, which is a shame. Having said that, it still looks great, and theres not a single scratch on the face. Pretty sure I'll keep wearing this watch until the black coating becomes too worn out, then I'll have to search for some alternatives with a stronger finish, but this shape, size and slimness will be hard to beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING!, April 4, 2011
I bought this watch because I have a black watch but not a dress blackwatch. I am extremely happy with the watch. I will be wearing it with my tux on my wedding night soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, October 26, 2011
This is the most stunning watch I ever had, very minimalistic. Quite confortable in my wrist. Lots of compliments when I'm wearing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful, August 27, 2010
I saw this watch in St. Maarten in a jewelry store and instantly fell in love with it. I shopped around and got a great price and am so happy with it. It's funny how every one of us who reviews it says the same thing: It's hard to read, but it's so beautiful and striking that it's really worth the extra effort to tell the time. This is by far the best watch I have ever owned. It has the Eco-Drive technology, is profoundly thin, and embodies the best of minimalism. The all-black aesthetic is understated, cool and dignified. The crystal also lives up to its billing--no scratches. I would recommend this watch to anyone. After all, few of us buy a watch only for the purpose of monitoring the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coolest watch I own. Period., February 17, 2011
And I own a lot of watches.

If you find the dial hard to read, you're too old to be wearing such a cool watch. Get a Rolex and let people think your money makes you cool, instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eco-drive Stiletto, reliable, fashion, ecofriendly!, September 19, 2010
A very stylish watch, sober in design and light on the wrist. The size of the watch is sensible, not too small and not too big. It is only about half an inch of depth and two and a half inch wide. Mind that the bracelet is not easy to adapt especially if not in possession of the appropriate tool. The Eco-drive Stiletto works on Light-power, 11 hours of sunlight recharges the battery for a full year (2minutes for a day!), of course household light also recharges the battery, but it is less effective. The battery system is said to last a lifetime! The watch is precise and I have not noticed any change in the time compared to my other very reliable battery-powered Tissot watch. The dark side of this watch is its absence of any fluorescent tips to read time at night, nor any hand for seconds (the minutes' hand moves every 4 seconds). The rather poor contrast of the hands can make it difficult to read in unlit environment. Apart from this I am very glad I bought it. It is different from other watches, original and innovative in its concept and sets you apart from the crowd. The sobriety, stylishness and lightness were what I was looking for. Furthermore, the price is rather attractive, being affordable compared to other very expensive watches. Unfortunately it can only be purchased in the US, so consider VAT+shipping (40 dollars for shipping plus 70 dollars for VAT; I bought it from Switzerland, other countries'VAT might vary, check before you order!). A reliable and interesting watch that makes a statement on environmental and fashion issues... Thank you for reading my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long-term Investment, November 5, 2010
Five years ago I bought this same watch locally, except in gold plating with a white face instead of black on black, and I must say it has been a great investment. I bought it mostly because of its simplicity - second hands are noisy and date wheels are ugly. The fact that it's solar powered just adds to the package.

It has a rather thin profile for a Citizen (probably hence the name 'Stiletto'), but that has not been at the cost of durability. The band on this watch is rock solid. It's heavier than a Skagen, but no so bulky that I wasn't able to get used to it, unlike my old Fossil.

My only complaint is that the adjusting knob has left a permanent divot in my wrist. For quite a while it was uncomfortable, even sharp, and it still pokes me from time to time. I had not experienced that with my other watches. It should have probably been designed more like a ball than a cutting wheel, or set into the watch a bit.

The only wear this watch has shown is that the gold has worn and exposed the steel where my wrist meets my desk (at a keyboard all day). Luckily that segment of the watch isn't visible to anyone but myself. I would imagine this black would wear the same way. I suppose that is just the cost of a plated watch as opposed to 'the real thing'.

Overall a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understated, Reliable Elegance, December 18, 2010
If you're reading reviews I'm guessing this watch instantly appealed to you. With its "love it or hate it" style, the watch has that effect. As advertised, it truely is black on black on black...on black. The hands and hour marks are polished against the matte face, so they do catch light and make it possible to tell time as long as there's a nearby light source. If it's dark, then just forget about it and pull out your phone.

The watch is very light and very thin, while still being large enough to maintain a masculine look. The band is smooth and articulates well so the watch comfortably conforms to the wrist and not the other way around. It's one of the few watches I've worn that I've actually forgotten I was wearing. The clasp seems solid and the jeweling is a nice little touch. After a few weeks I've yet to see any signs of wear.

As to the watch's performance, it's a Citizen Eco-Drive. Not much else to say. It keeps time flawlessly and never needs batteries, it just goes and goes. My Eco-Drives have spoiled me to the point that I probably couldn't own a watch that isn't self-powered. They accurately and unendingly function and I recommend them whenever I get the chance. So, if the style caught your eye, do not hesitate. You will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, March 19, 2012
This watch is exactly what I thought it would be. It looks classy and very light on the hand. Only problem is that telling time is damn near impossible because of the shiny surface! I don't mind since I bought it for aesthetics and not practicality. If I could, I'd give it a 4.5 since the .5 penalty is from the lack of visibility of the actual hands. Otherwise, you get what you paid for!