Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now DOTD

on January 2, 2011
APPEARANCE: Very attractive. ECO-DRIVE: Full charge within 24 hours; has remained fully charged since. TIMEKEEPING: +5 seconds/month. OTHER CONSIDERATIONS: (1) The bezel is brightly polished and is susceptible to scratching with even occasional casual-dress wear. (2) While I realize that many watch wearers prefer a watch with significant "heft," I believe other reviewers have been quite tolerant about the weight of the watch. I'm 5'10", 175 lbs. with decent muscle mass and I don't find this watch particularly comfortable to wear for hours at a time because of its weight. The 22mm strap helps distribute the weight, but the relatively small footprint (wristprint?) of the watch and the thickness of the watch tend to yield a significant ounces-per-square-inch of wrist contact factor.

That having been said, this is an extremely attractive, accurate, Citizen Eco-Drive. That will be the deal-maker for those who choose to live with the weight of the watch.

And one suggestion: This model is in abundant supply in the United States. If one will shop carefully he will find deep discounts on this watch. With regards to all other Citizen-lovers, --Ron

UPDATE 02-04-2011: I've tried several bands and bracelets on this watch and have settled on a Hadley-Roma jubilee-style solid-link bracelet. The watch is still heavy, but now it's "comfortably heavy," if I can get anyone to buy into that description. --Ron
on December 24, 2009
This watch is designed just the way I like it. Simple and elegant, yet it smacks of quality. This watch is not small. It's big, bold, and easy to read. Using stainless steel and a thick front crystal, this watch is not lightweight either and you will feel its weight as you wear it. With that said, this watch is not "big and gaudy", nor is it too heavy. I consider it to be a "standard size aviator style watch" and I think it's just the right size, weight, and look. Unlike many black-face watches, there are no red or yellow highlights on this watch which makes it a little more dressy and less sporty than similar watches. The numbers and date window and inner dials are easy enough to read. There is a very handy stopwatch feature which is simple to use and fun to play with. The outer rotating bezel requires strong fingers to rotate it and it only rotates in one direction which makes it very unlikely to get bumped around. The leather strap is thick enough and wide enough to handle the weight. I much prefer leather to metal for compfort reasons.

Cons: The second hand doesn't move. Instead, the second hand only rotates when using the stopwatch feature. Citizen opted to use one of the inner dials to indicate the seconds for the current time. This is a minor nit-pick and it just takes some getting used to. When you first look at the watch, you are inclined to think it is not running (when it is). I wish this watch would indicate the day of the week.

I can't comment on the eco-drive feature, but it seems like a good idea. If this watch runs for more than two years without a battery change, then I will be happy. The owner's manual says this watch will run in complete darkness for 6 months before the batteries fail and then you can simply rechange the watch with exposure to artifical or natural light. Sounds great on paper.
on September 28, 2010
I have owned this watch for a year now and really like it a lot. It was a big step up for me in terms of quality and style. It has a very nice solid feel to it, a certain substantial heft, but not heavy. The strap is nicely detailed and has a very attractive white contrasting stitching along the sides. The dial is rich with information and details, that I still stare at occasionally even a year later. I find that it's very well made and designed. It fits the role of business casual and weekend dress watch very well. The luminosity when fully charged is very nice, still bright after several hours in the dark. It's also very easy to read day or night.
It is not perfect however, to be very nitpicky the date window is small and a little too deep, which makes reading it difficult on occasion. It must be fairly level to read well. Also the large second hand is tied to the chronograph feature and the small second hand (near the 6'oclock position) is used for the actual seconds. It was a little odd at first and took some time to get used to but the design makes sense. If I am timing anything I would not be very accurate with the small second hand dial but can be fairly accurate with the larger dial. Also the large second hand doesn't line up perfectly with the hash marks around the dial. It is only off by a tiny fraction and is only noticeable if you are a perfectionist.
These things do not take away from the overall impressions that I have, but they need to be mentioned so you would know exactly what you are purchasing. Overall I really like the watch and the Eco-Drive feature is big plus. Its nice not to have to worry about batteries as the one in this watch is rechargeable. It also keeps very accurate time. Mine is about +/- 3 seconds a month.
on February 23, 2014
I bought this watch because it resembles the classic "aviator's watches" of the 1960's. I've had it for a year now and it's still going strong!

Pros:
.Very Stylish-This watch screams "I'm a Pilot!" while sitting on your wrist.
.Eco-Drive-I have yet to have any issues with the battery on this watch. I do live in Texas though so I don't have to worry about lack of sunlight. Charges with artificial light just as well though.
.Both A Rotating Bezel And A Chronograph-Yes, I am a dork who occasionally needs to use both a rotating bezel and a chronograph to time two different things.

Cons:
.Weight-Somewhat heavy and bulky
.Chronograph-I wish for the price this watch would have a better chronograph. It only times up to one hour and seems kind of flimsy.
.24 Hour Dial Cannot Be Adjusted-I wish the 24 hour dial could be independently adjusted so one could display dual time (i.e. local and zulu time).

Overall, I would say that wearing this watch is more useful as a statement that one is a pilot rather than an actual useful tool for pilots. It will still win you style points though!

-For a good "hack watch" that can be used in the cockpit check out the Timex Expedition (http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Expedition-Watch/product-reviews/B0058DCWSC/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_5?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addFiveStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending)
on May 13, 2013
I like this watch. I don't like the band. I don't have large wrists, and found the band to be too short. Also, the date numeral is difficult to see. Watch keeps good time, and I love the charging feature of the eco-drive system.
on December 7, 2014
This is a very great wristwatch. When I received this watch it came in low on charge but I had to use the touch light of my phone to charge it and after abt 20mins it starts to work well and keeps great time. I love this watch and I will highly recommend it.

N.B the glow is amazing!!!
review image
on April 23, 2015
Good looking, quality sports watch at a nice price. This is my second Eco-Drive watch and will vouch for Citizen quality. My first, purchased over 10 years ago and worn almost daily, looks and works as good as day 1. Not having to ever worry about a battery is a huge plus. My first is a full titanium model slanted more towards business/ formal wear, this will fit the more casual use. Started up right out of the box. Nice size, not too big. Time and date easy to set (I will likely never use the other functions, this was bought for looks). Quality leather strap, you'd have to be plenty beefy for it not to fit your wrist.
on March 11, 2014
I'm not a watch guy, I never wear a watch except for work and hunting. So I needed something reliable and tough and a bonus if it looked good. Well this watch fit the bill for me. Love not having to bother with batteries. And the simple design. The crystal is tough. I've banged it more than once on some steel at work and no scratches. The case is ss so not much to say there. Actually I think the watch might be a little too nice for work but its tough as nails. The only thing I wasn't too keen about was the band. It's a good looking band but its leather and after a few days in 90+ weather they usually smell like road kill strapped to your wrist. So I replaced it with a steel band. Hope this helps in your search.
on September 22, 2015
Bezel scratches easily which is surprising considering the steel it uses. I've had the watch for about 7 months now with little use (I wore it maybe once or twice a week max) and when I stood up from the couch this week the rotating part of bezel & it's housing just fell straight off. Can't return it (wish I could) and not sure if I want to try Citizen repairs since I've read a good amount of bad experiences. Now I'll need to pay for a repair at a local shop and hopefully sell it as I am not impressed at all.
on January 15, 2016
Purchased this for my husband for Christmas, he loves it! He's a huge Citizen fan as this is his 4th watch by them, but this one is probably my personal favorite. I love the casualness of the leather band but all the fancy shmancy stuff the face has to offer. It's a great every day piece!