on March 26, 2013
This is a pricey watch. I don't normally buy pricey watches as I'm very hard on watches. I usually like to keep it below $200. BUT I decided to splurge on this one because I kept forgetting to reset the date on my old watch and never knew what day it was (some would call that senility, I blame it on the watch...) and since this watch has a perpetual calendar I'll never have to reset the date - at least not till the year 2100, but by then I'll surely be in the market for a new watch anywa! :)

At any rate, the photos simply don't do this watch justice. It is perhaps one of the most handsome timepieces currently on the market today and, although the price is a bit hard to swallow, still one of the best prices for a watch within its class (e.g. Perpetual Chrono, Eco, etc.).

I took off one star because for whatever reason I can't get the crown to lock in. The instructions are pretty simple to do that, it's just that the steps they recommend don't work and it's really not worth my time to call the company to find out what's up with that.

That said, I still love the watch and am not too concerned about the crown locking since none of the functionality available with the crown in the "down" position would cause major issues. One thing I really like about it is that I can wear with work clothes (business casual), dress clothes (suit and tie), and jeans. Very versatile design that looks good with pretty much anything!

Also, you'll note that there are other time pieces that look similar to this one, yet are much less expensive. A couple of distinguishing factors of this timepiece are:

- Genuine Alligator Leather Band
- Sapphire Crystal (vs. acrylic or mineral)
- Perpetual Calendar (puts it in the top tier of analog timepieces)
- Water Resistant up to 200M (no, I'll never go diving or even swimming with it, but it's a comfort to know that getting a little water splashed on it or into an ice chest full of icy water with it on isn't going to damage it)

Overall, VERY happy with it and would recommend it as the most value for your buck when looking for a high end watch with these features.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 10, 2013
****This first paragraph is a summary update after well over a year with the watch. I love this thing. It looks great. It has performed flawlessly. I've used the chronograph feature heavily for cooking steaks, etc. (although cell phones are pretty good for that). It is easy and intuitive to set the time zones. It is addictive to always have absolutely perfect time on your wrist. The minute hand moves every 15 seconds, while the sweep second hand stays spot-on. My only complaint is that the only foreign zone is London. One more could have covered much of Western Europe.

***The rest of this review was done right after I bought the watch, based in part on my experience of several years with another Citizen eco-drive atomic. I'm updating the review now that I've now had this one three months. With a collection of some of the world's best watches on hand, I now prefer this one. It looks as good as about any watch at any price; it's as accurate as any watch at any price (it's not possible to be more accurate in any useful way); and it is totally self-sufficient. All you have to do is wear it. You never set it; you never change batteries. I've learned to love the band, which is easy-on/easy-off and looks expensive. The watch is big enough to look current and stylish, but not childishly bulky and clunky. It is equally at-home in a board room or ball room, or on the golf course. I've not babied it, but it looks identical to the way it did on the day I opened the box. In spite of the fact that I was already jaded by its predecessor, it has grown on me. Now on to my original review...***

Three years ago, I bought the titanium Skyhawk version of the eco-drive atomic. I have a Rolex, Breitling, and Tag, plus some very cool antique watches and other contemporary models. But once I got used to the Skyhawk, I couldn't take it off. There is something addictive about having absolute confidence that you know the time to the second. You don't have to worry about batteries running down or mechanical winders, or any other keep-it-going issues. I've never, ever had it read anything other than a full charge on the battery. I wear long-sleeve shirts during the week, but the watch keeps charged, probably catching up on the weekend. Every now and then I'll leave it out on the deck in the sun just to make sure it gets a full charge periodically, but I might wait more than 6 months between such chargings.

The Skyhawk has always worked flawlessly, and I have been fairly rough on it. I'm personally not concerned at all about warrantees.

Summer before last, I was riding trains a lot in Europe. When you come into a Swiss train station, they have these clocks mounted on posts by the tracks. Every other post has a clock. The clocks have second hands that you can see moving in synchronization. There is nothing cooler than looking down at your watch and seeing your second hand moving in absolute synchronization with that line of Swiss railroad clocks.

I was at a conference a year ago and saw a guy wearing a Skyhawk. I walked up and asked him about his watch. Strangely, the guy he was talking to was wearing one too. We all three agreed that once you've worn one for awhile, you don't want to be without it.

So I had a problem: Whenever I wore another watch, I just didn't feel right until I got the Skyhawk back on. Yet there were times that the industrial look of the Skyhawk wasn't appropriate. The watch just doesn't go with cufflinks, if you know what I mean. I needed to have a dressier looking watch that gave me the same perfection in performance and reliability of the Skyhawk. The answer is the A-T, which looks more sophisticated while maintaining a high-tech look.

It is a significantly different watch from the Skyhawk. When I first got the AT, the band took a little getting used to. Initially, I was disappointed that the only European time zone was (oddly) London, but there is a work-around, and it's not what you'd think. I've found that you can manually set the time to whatever you want, and as long as it's an integral number of hours different from where the watch thinks it is, the watch will keep the time perfectly. So if you're in Paris or Rome, you can set the watch for London and advance it an hour. There is a separate independent setting that makes the watch function without radio control, but you don't have to do that, and you shouldn't want to.

Once you tell the watch what month it is and where you are in the leap year cycle, it tracks the days perfectly, and you NEVER have to fuss with adjusting days. Like I said, perfect time is addictive.

Currently anybody with a few tens of thousands of dollars can go in the watch-making business. You can have faces and cases fabricated to your specifications and buy the works dirt cheap. There is a pecking order for quartz watches in cost: Chinese is cheapest; Japanese is next; and Swiss is the most expensive. But if you buy works in any quantity, they're all pretty cheap. Check eBay and see how many different watches you can buy for ridiculously low prices. Everybody's jumped on the bandwagon of making cheap watches, and the quartz watches, even the Chinese, are really not that bad. With this thundering herd of competition, the traditional watchmakers now find themselves in a different world. Among the Japanese name brands, Citizen and Seiko are still the best. I believe that in fit, finish, and features for the dollar, especially on chronographs, Citizen is the best among all brands, from all countries, period. These eco-drive atomics are in a class by themselves that the cheap watch-makers can't imitate. Lexus continues to pursue perfection in automobiles. Citizen, i believe, has found it for watches in the crucial areas of convenience, reliability, and accuracy.
on January 11, 2013
The AT 4003-04E is the best performing watch I have ever owned. During nighttime hours I needed continuously luminous hands along with continuously auto time-adjust and durability. I own another Citizen Nighthawk which has more digital features but doesn't perform as well and hands aren't luminous unless completely dark and watch is overcharged. Is somewhat pricey for the $$$ and features, but this Citizen still beats comparable Casio Pathfinders and other watches with digital features without spending ridiculous amounts to know what time it is.
on July 14, 2012
I have 5 other atomic watches, all from Casio. This new Citizen certainly exemplifies how it is the PREMIUM brand from Casio. It is far more beautiful in person, I am totally satisfied with it. Much more simple to set and change functions than my Casios, it arrived running perfectly except for the wrong time zone. Once I easily set the proper time zone, it immediately changed to the correct time,and was perfectly synchronized to my other atomic Casios and my Seiko atomic wall clock. It is amazing to see all your watches at the exact same time to the second, and watch when their second hands hit '12' on the hour, and the Seiko wall clock chimes at the same moment.

I wish it had a rotating bezel and a light, but I knew it didn't prior to buying it. Anyhow, this will not be my everyday watch, and my current everyday Casio has those functions, as well as being atomic, solar, and a chronograph.

I thought maybe the 'Limited Edition' aspect of this watch was a sales gimmick, but one look at it and you will believe it is a special watch. It will tell you on the back what number of 2500 your watch is. You would pay at least $150 extra for a genuine crocodile band like it has. I looked at a gold with black dial Rolex Daytona, that was priced at $10,000. My Citizen isn't solid gold, of course, but it still puts the Rolex to shame in the looks department. Plus I don't have to buy a 'shaker' to keep the Rolex automatic movement running, nor ever worry about having to correct the time.

BTW,this watch is available for far less money on other websites. I prefer shopping through Amazon.com, but I saved $134 by searching the web.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
A very useful and efficient in the Citizen purpose to use the power of environment to move it. With the atomic timekeeping I don`t need to worry about the time, only adjust my time zone when travelling. Do you need more? It seems gorgeous in my wrist ! Sure, I recommend !
on September 29, 2013
I got another version of this watch with the darker leather band, black case with rose gold bezel and white numbers on the tachymeter scale, with red highlights on the two pushers and in some areas of the face, and polished gold highlights on the face. It has most of the features I looked for: solar power, atomic timekeeping, stop watch, and day & date indicator but doesn't have atomic timekeeping in Asia (but I don't go there much anymore) and changing between the time zones in the US and London are a no-brainer - just simply move the dial!. It's a great jeans watch and fits with most of my casual wear. I love that watch for its rich feature set and good casual looks (see my review of AT4006-06X), but it doesn't go well with my more formal attire, so I got this one as well.

I love it. It has all the features I wanted as listed above and this one looks really good with certain more subtle color combinations where the other one doesn't look quite as good. This one is more subdued in its styling: no red highlights, no polished gold highlights, it has black lettering on the bezel instead of white, and just a very elegant implementations of the same features.

The price is over $100 more, I guess for the "genuine Alligator Band", which doesn't mean that much to me, but the looks of this model are worth the extra money (to me).

Easily 5 stars.
on August 31, 2013
These are amazing watches. I bought the stainless steel AT4008-51E and loved it so much I had to get this limited edition model with the all black face. As one reviewer noted there is something slightly addictive about all these features - knowing you will never have to set it again or replace a battery and your watch is accurate to the exact second.
on June 14, 2013
I am a watch lover with around 30 watches in my collection. I always change watch everyday. But since I got this ecodrive, it becomes my everyday's company. What else i would ask for? No battery replacements, no hassle on time, dates, and days adjustments, with alarm and atomic clock signal reception. Not to mention that this watch really looks elegant in person. I always get compliment everytime I wear it. And by the way, this is really a limited edition with production series at the back. Now I am planning to buy the other version with the rubber strap. Definitely, i highly recommend this one!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 6, 2013
This is my third Citizen watch. I have had it for only a week. The watch has functioned perfectly and I expect that it will continue to do so based on my experience with my other Citizens. The watch arrived in an elaborate box. The watch is more attractive on my wrist than the pictures of it. The watch is one in the limited series of 2500 watches. The series number of the watch is engraved on the back of the watch and is on a plastic credit card size card, which was part of the packaging. I found the time and date adjustment to be simpler than of my Skyhawk. Citizen gives you a lot for your money. The watch is dressier looking than the Skyhawk and would make a great business casual watch. The only negative that I have is the band. It's ok, but it quality doesn't match the watch. 5 stars for the watch. 4 stars for the band.
on May 4, 2013
A useable alarm, easy time zone changes, solar charging, radio-controlled accuracy, perpetual calendar, sapphire crystal.
This is the only watch I have ever owned that I can actually depend on the date being correct. Always.
The band clasp is unusual. It seemed awkward to use at first but after a few tries it became quick and easy. I really like it now.
The alarm is high-pitched and not very loud. It would never wake me up but I use it for reminders when I'm awake and it works for that.
It was more than I had intended to pay for a watch but when I checked the price of crocodile and sapphire I could see why.
The watch is very nice looking and I am very happy with it.

See 1 answered question