on July 19, 2012
My wife gave me this watch as an anniversary present. I had been eyeing it for a while.

This is a beautiful watch and feels very well made. I live in Virginia, and it still received the radio signal very well. The watch is set to automatically re-set itself with the radio signal at 2:00 every morning. Most mornings, it receives with a high signal strength. (Do not try to update during the day if you're not near Denver. The signal travels better at night.

If you need to manually set the watch, you will be lost without the manual; however, Citizen has a great website and includes a CD with the watch to walk you through setting the watch if you need to do it yourself.

My only criticism of the watch is that you need to pull out the crown and rotate it to set the watch in chrono mode. I would prefer to have a chrono start button so this function is a little easier. There also is not a 1/20 second chrono dial, so you have to round to the second.
on November 10, 2013
First off, I am not normally impressed by watches. That said, I saw this one and fell in love with it.
I did not order this one from Amazon (one of the few times I have bought elsewhere). Why? I bought it from an authorized dealer for $120 less than the Amazon price.
Here's the scoop on this timepiece:
1. It is HEAVY. The stainless steel construction is substantial.
2. It is gorgeous. The silver and gold tone band and case, and the black face with the gold hands and dials is simply stunning. I also looked at a similar watch in black, but any scratches in the band would show as silver...that would detract from the beauty of the watch.
3. It is accurate, and never requires attention once it is set, unless you change time zones. How accurate? To within 1 second every million years accurate. No attention? Nope. It gets all its information from the Atomic Clock in Colorado via radio signal, updated nightly. Date, day of week, daylight savings time...all are adjusted automatically for you. How cool is that?
4. It will never need a battery. The Eco-Drive is solar powered, by both sunlight and artificial light. And it stores 270 days (9 months) of charge in reserve. Unless you plan to be trapped in a coal mine for longer than 9 months, this watch will never run out of charge.
5. It is LARGE. My wrist measures 8 1/2" around, and the watch fits perfectly. Is your wrist even larger? Citizen will send you up to 3 additional links within 30 days of purchase absolutely free. They don't even ask for postage.
6. Warranty. The warranty is 5 years, but if you register the warranty, Citizen extends it to 6 years. And you can register it online.
7. Night use. I really like this feature. The watch does not have a light, but the "glow in the dark" feature is the best I have ever seen. The number positions and the hands glow. The 3 sub-dials do not. What you nave are 12 glowing marks around the outer circumference of the dial, and glowing hands. It is extremely easy to read in a dark room (or outside). And as a bonus, the glow lasts all night long. I have never owned a watch that did that. (My Seiko watches all went dark within 2 hours or thereabouts.)
8. The bracelet is an ingenious design. You squeeze both sides of the clasp, and the clasp releases. Nothing to get bent, loosen or fail.
9. Water resistant to 660.' You can wear this one in the shower or while swimming. Just don't push any of the buttons under water.
10. Did I mention this watch is GORGEOUS?
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 27, 2011
This watch feels like a watch that cost 3 times it's price. Having a tag day link watch that cost 3200.00. This is the watch that I wear everyday. I love opening up a Eco-drive watch for the first time and watching it set the time on it's own. Very easy to set to desired time zone. This is a beautiful watch and a very large face, which I prefer. Good job....
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 16, 2014
A truly excellent timepiece. After spending hours researching and reading reviews, I ended up choosing this watch due to its quality construction, great looks, and superb feature set. The is the first watch I've purchased in more than 10 years. An anniversary present, I wanted to get the "right" one and I did just that.

I also wanted to pass along some information to those reading reviews like I did as some of the older reviews I read were incorrect on certain "cons".

Pros that mattered to me:
- Sapphire glass - If your going to spend a few hundred on a watch it is a must have. Don't settle for mineral glass.
- 200M WR - You can actually wash your hands, do the dishes, etc. and not fear ruining your watch. Anything less than 100M you risk it.
- Perpetual calendar - You don't have to worry about resetting the date every month
- Display showed information that truly mattered to me - The time, the day of the week, the date, etc.
- Flexible look - you can dress up or down with this watch and doesn't appear out of place.

Cons you shouldn't worry about -
-The bracelet can be adjusted by a 1/2 link. Read this time and time again. The one I received does have full and 1/2 links that can be removed for sizing.
- The watch has a zero set up feature to zero in every dial on the watch. I read reviews that said the hands didn't align properly. Read the directions, you can adjust them, mine are perfect.
- Radio signal - night time is definitely best for reception. I live in Ohio, left it in the kitchen overnight the first night I had it, synched up with medium signal strength just like it is supposed to. I tried to manually synch up the watch during the day in my office building and it wouldn't work. Don't freak out if you can't synch up the watch the moment it arrives. It automatically does it at 0200 and it works just fine.
- Alarm volume - It's not an alarm clock, don't expect it to be as loud if you need it to wake you up in the morning. The alarm is sufficiently loud enough to remind you about an appointment during the day or other need when you're already awake.
- Chrono function - it's fine. Read that it is hard to use and I don't agree with that. You pull the dial out one click, move it to chrono, and use it. When our done you pull out the dial, move it back to your time zone, and your done. If you need a chrono that your going to use on a daily basis this isn't the watch for you. I would suggest a stop watch.
- Luminescent - Fine, nothing to write home about. It does not fade as quick as I the reviews I read. It just depends on the lighting the watch was exposed to prior to darkness.

The only thing I can nit-pick is the weight. I'm a big guy and the weight doesn't bother me at all. That being said, if your not used to a somewhat heavy watch, or don't want one, you might want to try it on at a department store before buying. I think its perfect but I can see how some might have an issue with it.

The last comment I'll leave you with is to watch the price on Amazon. Over the course of 36 hours I saw the watch drop $125 and back up again. Luckily I saw it on the low end when I bought it. Add it to your wish list and check on it daily. If it gets below $350 jump on it. Most certified Citizen stores sell this watch at $430 not counting sales. Macy's had it on sale for $375 around the time I bought it. Amazon was still lower and I like Amazon better anyway. Don't forget to use Amazon "Smile" and support your local charity.

Hope this helps. Good luck in your search.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 13, 2013
This watch is so accurate that it has not been off one second in the past year that I have owned it! I love the movement so much that I bought another Limited Edition Atomic Time(AT)Eco-Drive similar to this one that is gold plated with a black face and crocodile band. I marvel at the fact that both watches are synchronized by the radio control to tell the exact same time, right down to the ticking second hand, when placed side by side. I have a hard time deciding which one to wear each day because both watches are flawlessly beautiful and function perfectly. I took both of them to wear on a caribbean cruise this year and I searched for expensive duty free watches in Grand Cayman and Cozumel, such as Tag, Breitling, and Rolex, that I thought would have impressed me more than these, and I'll tell you the truth, you have to get into the $10,000 range to find anything better than these Citizens. This watch and any of the other Citizen watches that have the E650 movement are the best watches for your money. The Eco-Drive power is built in and the accurate time is updated every night. You can own several Citizen AT watches for the price of just one of the expensive ones, and never worry about battery replacements or frequent tune-ups for automatic watches. You will love it too!
on March 22, 2013
Solar powered and atomic radio controlled, I absolutely love it. When I first got it, it was completely dead. I had to let it sit in direct sunlight for a couple hours before it came to life. Once it did it automatically set itself and everything worked perfect. I used the Citizen Watch Band Sizing Tool to adjust the wrist strap to fit properly. It was a little tricky, but not too hard to do. I've gotten a ton of compliments on this watch. A very nice piece.
on December 7, 2012
Runs perfect and has all the latest features! I am glad I chose this particular watch... Arrived really quickly also!
on March 7, 2014
I have only had watch one week but thus far i love everything about it. Watch is heavy but i have been wearing a Seiko kinetic for 16 years so am used to a heavy one. Watch is very attractive and looks like much more expensive than it is. I like all the features and am amazed at all the functions it will perform. The only criticism i have are setting instructions or lack thereof,even when going to their website on line they are not clear and i had to call the help line. It would sure help if they would list what to expect when watch is going through all the automatic stuff after it has been set such as when wearing long sleeves and pull it up to see the time the second hand spins around,i found out this is because it goes into power saving mode when there is no light also minute hand moves in 15 second increments and this is normal but just two of the things that led me to think i had a defective watch. As for durability only time will tell but at this time it is a remarkable timepiece and would recommend to anyone. In my opinion the atomic watch is superior to the swiss made!
on July 13, 2012
Bought this watch for my husband for Father's Day. My husband loves watches but this one is his favorite by far. Ever since I gave it to him...he doesn't wear any of his other watches. Its a beautiful watch and you never have to worry about batteries. I researched many watches before choosing this one and I definitely made the right choice. The picture doesn't do it justice!!!!
on January 16, 2015
This is my 2nd. Citizen watch. I purchased a BL5400-52 about 6 or 7 months ago & loved it. I was then determend to buy a radio controlled watch so I started reading about all the different ones. I settled on the AT4004-52e mostly because of price & looks. I have had it for about 4 weeks now & I can't say enough about this watch. I live on Long Island N.Y. and you can't get much further east from Ft. Collins Colorado than that & I can tell you that most nights this watch gets a medium to high signal sitting close to a south window with the shades down. If I put it in a west window it gets a high signal all the time. When they say it's the most accurate watch in the world there not kidding. I have checked it against the atomic clock by Goggling that and the second hand is always right on the money. If she gets the signal your always perfect. Ok now to setting it up. I had a little practice from the first one & although they are different in that the old one did not have radio control I learned a lot of the in's and outs about using the computer to set it up. Citizen has a web site & they give you the links for it in the beginning of your manual. When you go there the first thing it will ask you for is the caliber # . After you put that in you'll get a page that asks if you want a short manual or long one or the video. I always chose video. Now here is a good point you need to listen to. If your watch is dead or running but skipping every other second when you get it it means it needs to be charged before you do any set ups. Now the video starts right up with how to set it & all you have to do is hit pause to stop it while you perform that step.then start it & continue doing that until your done. I did all that but my watch would not set up properly so I had to zero out all hands which comes in the second half of the video . In doing the zero thing you wipe out all of what you did in the set up. I wish they would have had the zero thing as the first half so I wouldn't have wasted all that time but it's water under the bridge now. I did the zero & then re did the set up & the watch is running perfectly. It has a gauge that shows you how much charge you have & also what kind of sig. it got at 2am when it did it's check. You get both answers by just pushing in the lower button in the am when your checking if it got the sig. I have been an amateur watch collector for about 2 years now and I don't think I will be wasting any more money on buying other brands of watches. The Citizens are a bit more expensive than some of the others I have bought but I think I will just save my cash until I can afford another Citizen, I won't be getting as many watches but I will be moving up a rung on quality & usefulness . This watch knows when it's leap year it knows if the month has 28 or 30 or 31 days It knows when it's daylight savings time and adjusts that night when it get's the sig.It never needs to be wound or motion to wind or a battery . You can spend 25,000 on a Rolex or a Brightling and they won't be able to do what this watch does and for all that money they won't be even close on time accuracy. Do I sound like I work for Citizen? Well I don't LOL but I am amazed at both of these watches. Go for it & good luck