5.0 out of 5 stars From an admitted fan of Citizen's atomic timekeeping series
Published 16 months ago by MB from NC

The watch is very nice looking ,but the 3 stares are given due to the followings:
I have received this watch on 1-7-2013, I have adjusted and calibrated this model to another Citizen watch I already have but FM radio controlled from the country I live in.
Published 11 months ago by Mohamed Mahmoud

5.0 out of 5 stars From an admitted fan of Citizen's atomic timekeeping series, July 1, 2013
This review is from: Citizen Men's AT4006-06X Stainless Steel Eco-Drive Watch with Leather Band (Watch)
This is actually my fifth Citizen atomic timekeeping series watch as I (clearly) really like these. They are in fact controlled by a short wave radio signal, which transmits standard time derived from atomic clocks. I love the technology of radio controlled time. The watches receive a short wave radio signal (station WWVB) run by the NIST (the National Institute of Standards and Technology) out of Fort Collins Colorado that encodes the time signal from a bank of atomic clocks. Once the appropriate city is selected on the watch, the watch applies the appropriate UTC offset to the standard time signal, and viola, your watch is set to the second. The time signal includes the date, accounts for leap years and even accounts for the onset and end of daylight savings time. The watch will automatically attempt to update starting around 2AM, and every hour after that up to 5AM until successful. Even where I live in central North Carolina, as long as I leave the watch sitting near a west-facing window, I have no problem getting signal most nights (the antennae on this model is at the 6 o'clock position, but some of Citizens models have it at the 9 o'clock position). If you are traveling, just pull the crown out to the first notch, rotate it to the city for the appropriate time zone, push in the crown, and the watch will automatically adjust to the new time zone. If necessary, you can force a time signal synchronization by simply pressing and holding the lower pusher for 2-3 seconds, then leave the watch sitting with the 6 o'clock position facing west for 5-15 minutes (note though, that short wave signals are strongest and cleanest at night, when atmospheric interference is least).

These Citizen radio controlled series of watches are extremely well made, with flawless fit and finish on all 5 of mine, including this recent addition (I also have models CB0010-53L, Citizen Men's AT4004-52E Perpetual Chrono A-T Watch, Citizen Men's AT8010-23A Eco-Drive Limited Edition World Chronograph A-T Watch, and Citizen Men's AT8010-58B Eco-Drive World Chronograph A-T Watch). The inclusion of a sapphire crystal at this price point is also a superb value and makes for a very tough crystal as near to truly scratch proof as one can get. The leather strap is genuine leather, with clean neat stitching and feels very comfortable on the wrist. Other models with bracelets use standard split fork pins in the links, so a simple pusher tool is all that is necessary to re-size Citizens metal bracelets on this line of watches.

These watches are also all part of Citizens eco-drive line, which uses light to generate electricity and charge a titanium-Lithium ion battery, which will power the watch for up to 310 days in total darkness. These batteries are rated to last up to 10 years, and in actual use, may well work fine for 20 years. Citizen will replace them if you send it to them for service. These watches have a built in power save feature where, in darkness, they continue to keep time, but stop powering the motors that move the hands. Once exposed to light again, the hands will spin to whatever the current time is and then resuming normal movement. Normal wear should be enough to keep the power reserve full, as even indoor office or home lightening is sufficient. Even if I do not wear one for awhile, I just leave it in a window for a day of direct sunlight once or twice a month, and the power reserve never seems to dip below the first indicator from full charge.

I think that any of the Citizen atomic timekeeping series offers great value, with a great set of features, great workmanship on the fit and finish of the time pieces, and the ease of use of solar power and automatic time keeping. This particular model is perhaps the most distinctive of the series, with its black ion and brown plating and rose gold accents. It makes for a very different looking watch than many of the others. I admit I am an "accuracy fanatic", so the radio controlled time feature is what first drew me to these watches. However, even when they do not get their nightly synchronization, they retain typical high quality quartz movement accuracy, of plus or minus only a few seconds per month (at worst).

P.S. The NIST radio station at Fort Collins does have a web site, and explains the technology in detail. They also have maps of signal strength throughout North America, so you can check to see if you may have trouble synchronizing your watch where you live before you buy. That information is also available in the user manuals available from Citizen on their web site.

3.0 out of 5 stars The watch is very nice looking ,but not as accurate as I was expecting, November 4, 2013
Now, I am writing my review on this model on 5-11-2013, after about 4 months later. By a simple calculation, we can reach to the fact that this watch is not as accurate as I was expecting because the delay is about 1.25 minutes !!.
This means, 1.25 x 60 = 75 seconds in about 4 months. This is equivalent to 18 seconds per month and equivalent to 0.156 second per week. Keeping in mind that the battery indicator confirms that the build in battery is fully charged.
So, in case you are going to use this watch in a country not in the listed five zones controlled from the FM radio and you shall depend on the accuracy of the watch only, then you have to consider the above delay in your decision when buying the watch. The other model I have from Citizen is covering 24 countries and I am really satisfied and happy from it. So, take care.
The second remark is related to the accuracy of the movement. The second's hand never comes at 12 o'clock . I have done the factory setting as per catalogue instruction to overcome this problem, but no way. There is exactly "half" a minute difference in the movement of the second's hand and never meets the 12 o'clock at the midpoint.
This was my review and my evaluation for the clock. I hope it was helpful and subjective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent time piece, July 8, 2013
I received this quickly in just two days for date ordered. Also as reference, I have two previous Citizen watches - but this is my first one with the 'Atomic clock'. My initial thoughts on all of dials is that it can be difficult to figure out (and retain) how to use all of the buttons - particularly when each of these models are just a little different.

I wanted to test the Atomic clock setting first to make sure I was receiving the signal. I live in Cary, NC and was concerned that I would have difficulty receiving the signal which originates in Colorado. First test was NO signal from my first floor. I then went to the second floor of my house and facing west, and it registered a 'L' (low) signal strength. I then removed the window screen, pointed the orientation of the clock with the '6' pointing west - and it registered 'H'. That was critical to me not to have to change the date/time - which was one of the reasons I purchased this. I still think there might be an issue with the leap year setting based upon my understanding of where the second hand is located - but I guess I have a few more years to worry about that.

As far as the quality of the build - just great. I love the color and the look. The leather band is beautiful - and you can even smell the leather. I hope this was helpful!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, December 23, 2013
What an incredible watch!

I thought the picture looked good, but in person it is really sharp. The colors work together to create a more subtle look than the picture might suggest. For watches with multiple dials this approach keeps the watch from looking too busy.

Setting the watch was incredibly easy. All I did was flip the manual to the part about choosing my timezone (pull crown, rotate until the right time zone is selected, push crown back in) and the watch set itself immediately.

The upper left dial is a 24 hour time indicator, which is very helpful to me as I work odd and ever-changing shifts, and it is possible for me to wake up not knowing if it's AM or PM. The indicator for day of week and calendar date are also easy to read.

The leather band is high quality, soft, and feels substantial enough to last. I had no problems with its length.

The watch comes with some great features, of course, like the solar power and the perpetual calendar, but those are well covered in the product description. Basically if you live within the range of the atomic clocks and expose the watch to normal light, it will always give you the time and date. I'll update in a few years regarding this product's reliability.

Value is difficult to determine for most fancy watches, as they are just jewelry. In my opinion, for fit finish and beauty this watch is easily worth the price. But for functionality it's bringing so many features that it is even easier to justify.

This was a gift and I am extremely happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent & good looking watch, September 25, 2013
PROS:
Really nice design. Black case with gold rim and red highlights in a few places and gold highlights in the dial, white lettering for the tachymeter scale, and the brown leather band with black highlights let this watch work with almost any clothing or color scheme. Nice "sporting" look.
Radio controlled accuracy (in only two time zones).
Eco-Drive solar power - no batteries required!
Chronograph - easier to access than previous models due to the "fingernail indent" in the crown.
Tachymeter

CONS:
Radio controlled in only two time zones; world time requires manually setting if not in the US or London time zones. On the other hand, in the past 15 years, most of my time has been spent in the US time zones...
Chronograph function a little hard to access, BUT not as hard as some of the earlier Citizen watches which require pulling the crown out to position 1 and then adjusting. This is because the crown on this watch can be pulled out to position 1 using the fingernails - something that couldn't be done with earlier versions with smooth crowns.
A little too sporty to be a "fine dress watch", but can work as that.

SUMMARY: Super looking and super functioning watch - I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have this in all black, June 19, 2013
the case and design is the nicest of all the watches I've owned. this is a design you're going to want to buy all variations of. eco-drive so no need for batteries, radio controlled so the time is automatically set correct. just put it on and go. this one I got for my birthday. perfect case size. not large but not small. not thick, but not thin. perfect.

UPDATE:

I now have the gold version of this watch as well (at4106 and LOVE it)
the black version is very sharp as well. this is just a very well designed watch.
chrono-atomic time, eco drive, radio controlled. you won't regret any version of this at series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Looking Timepiece!, March 27, 2014
No complaints. Excellent looking timepiece. Setup was not as complicated as some people have said it is.

The only thing I was hoping it would be is the overall weight of it. I was looking at another Eco-Drive Atomic in a stainless steel and looked at in a store and felt really heavy and solid. I realize this one has a leather band but still expected the unit to be of some weight.

Other than that - I love the watch!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch - Small leather band, September 6, 2013
I received my watch yesterday and quickly inserted the mini-dvd that came with it. The watch was already set but was using the Eastern Time Zone. After walking through the instructional video, I changed the time zone and validated the other settings. This watch was not as difficult to set up as the Casio atomic watches but still will require me to use the video or manual should I need to change anything. Fortunately, the only thing I usually need to reset is the time zone for travel and that is an easy setting to remember.

Initially, I was concerned because I could not get a radio signal from Colorado for the atomic sync. I live in Dallas and felt this should be a non-issue. However, this morning I found that the watch had synced over night and now shows a strong signal.

I really should rate this watch 5-Stars except for the fact that the leather band is SMALL (short). I have fairly small wrists and hands and had to put the buckle on the 2nd to last hole. There is barely enough of the end to go under the loops. I guess I will be shopping for a longer band in the near future. Not enough of a deal breaker to return the watch but still, you would think they would provide an additional piece to substitute should you have wrists larger than a child.

Other than that gripe, I am very satisfied with the watch. It is very nice looking and has a solid weight to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, June 3, 2014
Saw very similar model at the mall except it didn't have "atomic" feature. Mall price was $595! My one complaint is that I had to shop around for a while to find an extra long band as I have large wrists. Why don't the watch companies or the companies that sell them have a "long wristband" upgrade option?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, May 22, 2014
This wonderful watch was very easy to set. The strap is comfortable. I has another brand of watch that has the same functions as my Citizen. It was so confusing I had to send it back. I strongly recommend this watch to any one that loves or needs accurate time.