Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on May 7, 2012
It is a great watch. I can't find any faults with it. Pros and cons

PROS
- Looks great
- Sapphire crystal, will never scratch
- Auto time synch means dependable time and date, which means correct time every time
- Eco drive leaves really nothing to complain about
- Band is very comfortable
- Black coating is great, No easy scratches, even thought it will get small scratches over time

CONS
- Lume is good, not great.
- The dial is a little busy. Not sure if I should complain about that.
- The signal for Auto time synch is not always strong where I live. But when I am outside, I can synch manually. I do this once in a while when I remember and the watch is correct to the second vs. the US govt time.

Update Mar 2014
- Still looks new, no scratches, works perfectly
- the black band has faded slightly, but only minimally
- I realized that the watch looks its best with a thick brown leather band (pick like a Panerai style band, dark brown or light brown). Try it and you won't regret it. If you are looking at less than $80 for the leather band, it is probably not the best. Google PVD PAM with brown leather band and you will get the idea.
99 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 13, 2012
This watch is absolutely flawless, everything about it is perfect. The functionality seems to be difficult for some first time users, however after reading the manual, I found it pretty simple and easy to remember. It looks absolutely amazing on hand, I really love the "black gun metal" color (it may seem to appear a bit brownish on the amazon pictures, but it's really not) It seems pretty unique and eye catching. When I saw it for the first time I was stunned. The lume is really good, and they did not lie when said it is the "The Most Accurate Watch in the World". I would recommend this watch to everyone out there looking for a new watch. I've had it for over a month now, wearing it everyday, and it still looks fresh out of the box and not a single scratch on the sapphire crystal nor stainless steel :)
on November 18, 2015
I was somewhat hesitant to purchase this watch because of what I read in the user reviews about its weight, thickness, and lack of band micro-adjustability. My impressions: It is a relatively heavy watch, but about the same as the steel Timex Expedition that it replaces. Not a problem. Same for the thickness; at about the same thickness as the Expedition it is not a thin dress watch, but it is not noticeably awkward like a dive watch. Think of it as a replacement for a masculine-looking bracelet that works in a business setting.

The lack of micro-adjustability on the band clasp is also a non-issue. One reviewer complained that his wrist size was in-between two full-size link adjustments. He probably didn't notice the two half-size mini-links that can be removed adjacent to the clasp, so you can dial in a precise fit. While it is not particularly easy to remove links, it is no harder than on any other watch I've owned; I start them with a light tap using a brad, and push the pin through with a bulletin board pin. Takes no more than 5 minutes.

You have to read the instruction booklet. It's not an option. But once read, the layout is logical and becomes automatic. Since it sets itself, the only things to know is how to change time zones and how to set the alarm (and rarely, how to use the chronograph), and all follow the same pattern.

Update: two months later and this remains my favorite watch. The watch body and crystal both look identical to the day I first put it on. I love the fact that it never needs batteries and I get sub-second accuracy with the automatic radio link. After about a decade the capacitor will need to be replaced, but even then it is easy to track declining capacitor health using the fill indicator, unlike the way watches with batteries fail without warning. My only complaint: the black anodizing is rubbing away at the bottom of the band. This is surprising since I only wear it to a desk job and my research lab. The part that is showing steel through the black anodized layer is on the inside wrist location though, and not easily visible. Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase, especially compared to my last Citizen watch purchase with a mineral crystal that scratched terribly within two months (Citizen specifically does not cover crystal scratching under warrantee).
on April 6, 2013
I LOVE this watch! My life was rife with tapping my phone's on button all the time to check the time of day. Then, I was on a cruise and saw this watch, and holy cow did I realize how it could change my life. While it is relatively heavy, this watch is incredible.

I live in a hilly area of Wisconsin, so sometimes it doesn't pull the Atomic Clock data, but I've found the areas in my house that the reception works, and have made sure I put it in that area overnight. This has made it so that when DST hit it changed time as expected.

It is the most accurate time piece I have, and was able to recognize the correct date even on this leap year.
on February 20, 2013
I purchased this Citizen watch a few months ago and have been amazed with the split second accuracy. It is my first Citizen, first Echo Drive, first Perpetual and first atomic timekeeping watch. I own way too many watches of various brand, but I really love this Citizen watch above the others.

I like it enough that about two weeks ago I ordered the CB0020-50E. The AT4007-54E is all black with sort of a gun metal finish and the CB0020-50E is a completely different look. Having both now, I might start giving some of my other watches to family... because I'm really spoiled by these.

I highly recommend ANY of the Citizen Eco-Drive atomic perpetual watches. Great craftsmanship, great technology and a five year warranty. This one is several months old now and I've never had to set it. Still perfect time easily to one tenth second.

It might take you a day or two to find the best place in your house to position it at night... to ensure you receive the radio signal that sets the time at 2 AM. Don't be surprised if the "manual" radio sync fails. I get too much interference during the day, but it works flawlessly for me in the 2 AM auto mode.
on December 29, 2015
I love this watch. Plain and simple. I consider myself to be somewhat of a watch freak, I own over 2 dozen. This is the first "perpetual" watch I've owned and I could not be happier. It keeps perfect time thanks to the Atomic Clock portion of it and never having to worry about changing the battery is fantastic. You can get a read out of how much battery power you have left, and how strong the signal is for the Atomic adjustment. It has quite a few features, some are harder to use than others. The look and craftsmanship are fantastic. I would definitely buy another Citizen Perpetual.
on April 10, 2013
I have other nice watches like a Tag Heuer quartz and a Tissot automatic, but I have been wanting a Citizen Eco-Drive for a long time. I finally chose the AT4007-54E because it had all the features I was looking for (Eco-Drive, atomic timekeeping, perpetual calendar, anti-reflective sapphire crystal, chronograph) and I have been wanting a black watch to add to my collection. This watch has it all. Don't overlook the fact that this has a sapphire crystal, something that's typically reserved for the Citizen Signature Collection. Even at the full retail price of $600, this is an incredible value, but if you can get it for less, even better. The first thing I did when I got it was read the manual and test all the features to make sure everything works as it should and it all worked flawlessly. It's kind of fun to watch the hands move around when switching from one setting to the next. After being in direct sunlight, the illumination on the hands and hours is very bright although it doesn't last more than a couple minutes in complete dark. The best thing about it is the way it looks and trust me, it's even better in person. At 42 mm this is a good sized watch and it does have a busy appearance, both of which I like, but some people may consider it a drawback. I personally can't stop looking at it. I've only had it less than a week so I can't comment on durability, but in my time researching Eco-Drives, I haven't read too many complaints. There's probably a reason Citizen can offer a 5 year limited warranty on their watches when most other companies have a 1 or 2 year limited warranty. To summarize, I am completely satisfied with this purchase and would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a quality, low-maintenance watch at an extraordinary value.
on July 1, 2015
This watch is simply amazing. It's my first expensive watch, so I was not sure what to expect. It just stuns me with the number of things it can do, and honestly it is not too complicated to figure out. On a size note: I have small wrists (6.5") and this watch doesnt look or feel too big and heavy. I highly reccommend this watch.
review image
on January 24, 2015
First off, I'm no watch expert. I'm just a regular guy that likes to wear watches. This watch looks great. I get a lot of compliments when wearing it. It's not too big and not too small. It is solidly built and the sapphire face seems to be scratch resistant. I love how I don't ever have to worry about adjusting the time during daylight savings. You won't regret buying this watch.
on March 18, 2016
After much research and comparisons to other watches in this league, I was finally confident that this was the right choice. I received the watch yesterday and can say it's even sharper looking than it looks in pictures. It's got a bit of weight to it, but not too much that it seems uncomfortable.

The setting of the watch was a challenge for me only because it was low on charge when received, so until it had enough light it wasn't really ready to be set. I've now got it all set as followed in the PDF available on the Citizen site, and I'm aware of the features of it.

Owning a number of different watches including smartwatches, I have to say this is by far my favorite. It's black metal which is very sharp, and a bit less common, and the features of the face are very sharp and attractive, again more so than you'd guess from pictures.

Very pleased with this purchase, indeed.