Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on March 15, 2013
I wanted to add a few facts about the Citizen AW1018-55E sold by Amazon.

Size - in CURRENT men's fashion this might be considered a "mid-size" watch at 43mm across. I emphasized the word current above because watches in general are much larger than they were a generation ago. But in an era where Invicta and other companies routinely sell watches of 50mm and larger, 43mm is currently a "mid-size." I would also note that this is a thin watch compared to some of the larger chronographs currently on the market.

Weight - here are the weights of some new and older watches I currently own:
Citizen AW1018-55E - 138g, 4.9oz (this watch)
 Citizen Eco Drive Calibre 2100 Watch (AV0031-59A) - 192g, 6.7oz
 Seiko Men's SKA201 Arctura Kinetic Watch - 172g, 6.1oz
 Casio Men's G9100-1 G-Shock Gulfman Watch - 58g, 2.0oz
Older small (35mm?) Seiko chronograph - 74g, 2.6oz
So calling this watch "heavy" totally depends on what you are comparing it to. Compared to my older small watches and the resin Casio it certainly is heavy, but compared to the chunky chronographs I have worn recently it feels fairly light, with the band being particularly light weight.

Color - the picture of the AW1018-55E doesn't accurately depict the watch, IMHO. In reality, the entire watch is black - but the inner 3/4 of the band and most of the watch case is a flat black finish while the outer part of the band and some bits of the case near the crown are a glossy finish. I personally would have preferred the entire watch to be a flat black, but I'm still quite happy with how the watch looks.

(Edit - I've now added a picture to illustrate the color / finish of the watch a bit better than the stock photo does.)

My take - for a modern watch this is relatively lightweight, sleek, and handsome. It's a great alternative to a chronograph if you want a classic less cluttered look. My only concern is how well the black finish will wear over time, but as of now I'm very happy with this watch.

Edit December 2013 - over time the black "ion" finish has begun to wear, esp. on the snap closure. I still like the watch, and I expected some wear eventually, but the amount of wear on the snap has surprised me.
review image
on April 28, 2012
First off im a university student so a very expensive watch wasnt what I was looking for,just something that looked sharp and didnt break the bank.If looks are what you are after you wont be dissapointed as for the price range this was the prettiest watch I could find under 300 dollars,its got a mattish finish so its not overly shiny but it does catch the eye,the design reminds me of a stealth bomber,very sleek.Also its an eco-drive!Thats a solid plus,but as you can see from the pictures its very basic and doesnt have any chronograph functionality but for the price you cant expect to have it anyway.One thing though its dial is a tiny bit larger than average so if you prefer small watches dont go for this.Another thing important to me was the 'feel' of the watch on the wrist and I must say this one delivers!I love the weighted feel of a good watch,tried on a bunch of them and some much more expensive ones just didnt have that premium feel that this one has,heavy but not overly so,just enough that you dont forget its there.In short a mighty fine watch for the cash and if I were you I wouldnt hesitate to drop some on this.(*to clarify I didnt buy this from amazon but from a specialist shop in Australia(shiels) where I dropped 265 AUD on this thing,still worth it I say,wish Id seen this price sooner though =/)
on January 4, 2013
My friend has been telling me for several years that I needed to get a Citizen watch with Eco-Drive and I finally purchased this watch not long ago. I've got to say, I wish I would have listened to him sooner. The Eco-Drive is a nicest form of automatic watch technology I've come across. I have an automatic kinetic watch from Stuhrling, and while I love the watch, I don't wear it often enough to keep it running. After a day or two of sitting on my dresser, it stops and I need to reset it the next time I wear it. And I don't have the desire to spend > $100 on a automatic watch winder to keep it going. Back to the Eco-Drive, this thing looks like it'll never stop, unless I bury it underground. It uses ambient light to keep the watch running. Like the Stuhrling, this watch spends a good amount of time on my dresser in a dark bedroom. But it gets enough light throughout the day to keep going. I've yet to reset the time and I only wear it about 1-3 times per week. I'd also tell you the watch is beautiful and that I get a lot of compliments on it, but you can see the picture and decide for yourself whether it fits your style.
My only gripe about this watch is the weight. I typically don't wear larger watches, which I consider this one to be. After owning it for a month, I'm pretty used to it now. But it's still noticeably heavier than my other watches.

If you're looking for a sleek, all black watch for dress or casual wear, I'd highly recommend this watch from Citizen. Only note of caution is the large size/weight of this watch.
on May 29, 2014
This is the most attractive men's watch with its' stunning all black band and face and its' clean manly lines. The best part of this watch is the fact that it does not require a battery - it is powered by light - any kind of light!! If you like clean, striking lines for an excellent price - get this watch. You will not be sorry!!! I gave this as a gift to my grandson and he was thrilled beyond words.
on February 18, 2015
Bought this watch for my son (14 yrs old) in April 2013. Now, less than 2 years later, it will not keep time. I know there is a 5 yr warranty on Citizen watches, so I will contact Citizen and see what they do to fix this problem. I will update my rating here accordingly. I have to say, this was unexpected from a Citizen watch based on my own titanium Citizen that I bought many years ago. I have put that watch thru hell and it has never failed me.
on February 24, 2015
I've owned this watch for about 3 months, receiving it as a Christmas gift. I wear it only at work. About a week ago I noticed condensation forming inside the crystal. I emailed Citizen to ask about their policies concerning this, as the watch has never been worn in a shower, pool, or in rain in any meaningful capacity. The watch still looks brand new, aside from the inexplicable condensation. They basically told me that it was not covered under any warranty and if I wanted to send it in for repair then they would evaluate it. I would be expected to pay for repairs and shipping for a 3 month old watch that has not been abused or mistreated in any manner.

I've been mulling it over, but today I thought I'd try to wear the watch again since the condensation seemed to have cleared. As I put it on this morning, the entire crystal separated from the watch.

Now I'm holding a 3 month old watch that is in two pieces, and Citizen expects me to pay for repairs when this was clearly a defective piece to begin with. Their warranty only covers "the movement of the watch and covers manufacture defect of the movement only." leaving me up a creek.

I loved the watch when it was wearable. 5* for the watch up until a week ago. 1* for the watch since then and 1* for Citizen and poor customer service.

Crystal problems aside, I loved this watch. It has great feel and weight (not too heavy, but a comfortable weight). The face is pretty low profile. It kept time very well in the 3 months I wore it and I never had to worry about keeping it in light or charged. It's not the flashiest watch out there by any means, but I like the understated simplicity and bare functionality of it.

Pictures are of the condensation before the crystal completely separated.
review image review image
on January 30, 2014
I wish I had one with automatic date set.
Not enough contrast between hands and face.
Hard to read in some lighting situations.
Edit: Wish I hadn't bought this watch. I
leave it on the dresser some times during
the day. Even with normal room light it
runs out out of power. If I don't wear it
during the day I may have to lay it on a window sill.
Probably OK for those that wear it outside daily.
on February 27, 2013
Quick heads-up about the look of the watch. The glass face projects about an eighth of an inch from the top of the watch. It is sort of sitting on top of the watch instead of being built-in. It would be impossible to make this watch look ugly but it does make a difference.
on September 25, 2012
I have had this watch for one month. I am still happy about the quality and the look of this watch. This is the watch that I want.
on December 14, 2012
This watch is absolutely fantastic. Very sleek with its low profile against the wrist. Face is perfectly sized for the average man. The watch is polished to a brilliant shine and showcases the difference in black and gunmetal colors. The band was a little large, so we took it to Kay Jewelers to get a few links removed, and the sales clerk commented on how nice the watch is and wanted to know where I got it! My husband will throw a watch in the trash before replacing dead batteries, so I'm expecting this one to be around a long time. Love that its light powered, solar and artifical. Set it and forget it!