Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on April 29, 2015
*********
Update: I've added pics of the watch with the original strap for those that wanted to see it.
*********
I've had my eye on a Pilot/Flieger style watch for a while. Although there are a few low cost alternatives out there, such as the TICINO or LACO or MARATAC, this Citizen is a great alternative. Although it isn't a straight replica, it does have many Flieger/Pilot design clues such as the shape of the hands and having the minutes more pronounced than the hours –but you can see all that from the images. Now on to the review.

SIZE
As far as size goes, this is on the bigger side at 44/45mm and I would not recommend this watch for anyone that has a smaller wrist than 7." But it's not Invicta large –fits well in the larger fashion watch era we're currently in.

LUME
The Lume (located only on the Hour and Minutes hands) is a nice blue color and activates quickly, but don't expect it to last too long. You might be able to see it 20-30 mins into a dark movie theater.

STRAP
The strap is the weak point of the watch. It's a nice honey-brown color with contrasting black edging. But the darn thing is THICK. Another reviewer mentioned that it's too thick to properly strap on and loop through, and I agree 100%. It might get softer with wear and age, but after 2 weeks of constant wear I didn't see too much of an improvement. Instead I opted to switch a strap a similar colored NATO (as seen in my pics) the comfort is much better and I'm no longer thinking about the strap, but the beautiful watch I have on my wrist.

_____
All in all it's a great looking watch, with great quality that you will enjoy wearing –just so long as you change the strap.
1010 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2014
I saw this watch, instantly loved the face and ordered it from Amazon. As I waited for it to ship I began to check it out online and what others had said about it. The one thing that I saw was that the watch diameter is bigger than others. When I received the watch, this was in fact the case. I also own Citizen BV1080-18A and a BV1085-14E and this watch felt much bigger on my wrist than either of these two - and huge when compared with my Weekender. It might be a bit of perception, but the inner bezel of the watch with the minute markers seems excessively large and unnecessary, especially when compared to the 1085. I would have preferred to have little to no bezel on the inside, and expand the face of the watch. But it's something I felt someone buying the watch be aware of. You can also see in the picture that the hour markers are also set just a little below the minute marker, it is a stylistic choice but one I am ok with. I enjoy the 3 day feature, makes it very easy to see what the day is contrary to my initial thought, plus it isn't set back from the face much like my other Citizen watches. I have to applaud Citizen because you cannot tell where solar panels are in this watch.

Aside from the large overall size of the watch, a few other things I noticed that were different from the picture: 1) The band is nice, but not much like pictured. It doesn't quite have the texture. If you have a Citizen watch in this price range is it the same band, but a little thicker. I have changed the band, but this one is still nice and I don't have much issue with it. 2) The face is a little lighter gray than pictured, but the colors still pop off of the face pretty well, it's fairly easy to tell time on the watch. 3) I saw this mentioned to other forums, but only the hour and minute hands have any lume in the dark. This is contrary to my other Citizens where at least some of the hour markers have lume. With the largess of the face, it would be nice to have other lume on the face. I do like this watch, the size was only a minor setback. If you don't have a problem with larger watches and like the look of this watch I highly recommend it.
55 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2015
Excellent watch for under $150. The face is very handsome the date window with three date display is easy to read, and fact that it's eco drive at this price make this a winner. I was in the market for a big Hamilton Aviator and this watch is much cheaper and looks very nice.

The band was a disapointmemt. It seems like Citizen spent a nickel on what felt like cheap foam that looked like cheap leather. So I bought a T tech leather band for under 20 bucks on Amazon and swapped it out. I kept with the honey brown and the white contrast stiching theme.

The watch iself is light weight and although I have not yet encountered face scratches the face mineral glass feels like what you get on a cheaper watch. For the mineral and the bad band I take a star off but overall an excellent watch for this price

If you want an Aviator watch this one is a good buy!
review image review image review image
on January 19, 2015
Wonderful. Beautiful watch, great face contrast. I have over a dozen watches, and this is one of my favorites. Was worried the band was stiff when I purchased it, but it loosened up after a few wears. A go to for brown shoes at the office or casual wear. Men's Health also listed this on their top watch list for the price point.
on July 24, 2015
I ordered this watch around a month ago and I love it. At first glance it seemed a little small to me as I usually like my watches larger than normal but then again I have larger than normal wrist and hand size. All in all this watch has a classic look and I really enjoy it. The one thing I cant stand about it and this goes for other watches as well is the second strap always slides up so I am constantly moving it back down, the first strap is stationary so you don't have to worry about that one.
on February 18, 2016
Great looking watch! I was looking for something casual to wear with jeans and this watch is just thing thing. As said the leather band is pretty thick, but I like that depth that it adds to the piece. I have to hold the watch against my stomach to put it on quickly. The dial is a classic neutral color that goes great with anything and the orange second hand gives it a touch of color. The stainless steel case is well made and adds just the right amount of shine. For the price this is a great watch!
on April 29, 2016
This is my first citizen watch and I am happy with this time piece. Stylish comfortable, operates flawlessly. A great buy for the $$$. I buy 3-4 watches a year and this watches style,quality and fit looks like a watch costing far more. I was unsure about Eco drive at first but researching it and Eco drive reviewed fine so a great watch purchase
on May 2, 2016
I've been wanting an aviator style watch for sometime. I never had a leather band or an aviator watch before so I wanted to test the waters on an inexpensive watch to see if I would wear it.

I am glad I did! I would buy it again in a heartbeat!

PROS:
1. Style is great. Classic Aviator appeal.
2. Leather Band is quality. I have only had it a couple of weeks but the band is wearing well.
3. ECO Drive! My first citizen Eco-Drive. No batteries. No resetting it if I skip a day of wearing it (my other goto is an Automatic).
4. PRICE IS RIGHT! This looks like a high dollar watch. It really has a nice feel and appeal at this price point. It is insanely good for the price.

CONS:
1. Not any style wise or quality wise
2. Price. I know I paid under 200 for it. Does anyone else? Should I have paid 500 or 5,000? That's the only personal issue.
on November 27, 2015
Great looking Watch. This is a dressy watch that is not too over stated. It's easy to read and is pleasant to look at without all the frills. The great thing is that it is an eco-drive which means not having to change the batteries for at least 15 years !! It is a larger watch but that's the trend and I like that. So the only quibble I had was that the original watch band is too thick. It's a good looking band but I don't like the thickness of it so I replaced it with a thinner and slightly lighter colored band. I've added photos as I don't believe the photos on here do the watch justice. The watch is a dark grey colour and not as black as their photos show (they've done contrast enhancement on the photo which unfortunately changes the blacks/color to a darker shade). I've tried to capture the color more naturally.

The only quibble is that the second hand is too thin to notice. I like sweeping second hands on my watches which is why I was drawn to this watch but the contrast on the second hand is so low it's hard to see where it is on the dial. Hence me knocking 1 star off. They should use yellow or orange on the second hand tip. Dark red is too hard to see.
on January 12, 2016
I bought this watch for my husband a few months ago. He wears it everyday and really likes it. It looks nice with both formal and informal outfits. The watch "glows in the dark" for a few minutes if you go from a light area to a dark one which is a nice feature. The numbers do not glow in the dark so you have to make a rough estimate of the time. It is great to not have to worry about changing the battery on the watch. The date is nice; however, if a month has fewer than 31 days then you need to adjust it to the 1st at the end of each month. A minor hassle that I'm sure is prevalent for almost all watches with a date feature.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse