Sweet watch, I've been wearing mine for 4 months.

I'm an Environmental Engineering Student and I also currently own an Omega Speedmaster ($2100 graduation gift long ago) and a Titanium Pro-Trek Casio Triple Sensor Watch (Compass, Altimeter & Temperature $295.00) that I used for my previous job as an outdoors wilderness instructor.

Both those watches...
Published on April 23, 2006 by Olaf Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Keeps perfect time, but it's not nearly as functional as I had hoped.
Let me start off by saying that this watch does exactly what it is intended to do - keep accurate time. My issues have to do with the layout and confusing hour hand "jump". This dial is VERY busy with lots of useless information. If I ever needed to calculate my rate of fuel burn, I doubt I would consult my watch. They should have 5, 10, 15, etc. markers on the...
Published 3 months ago by Brian Fitzpatrick

5.0 out of 5 stars Eco-Friendly Watch That Calculates Fuel Consumption, Speed, Arrival time etc...,, April 23, 2006
Olaf Johnson (Anchorage, AK 99505) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Citizen Men's BJ7000-52E "Nighthawk" Stainless Steel Eco-Drive Watch (Watch)
Sweet watch, I've been wearing mine for 4 months.

Both those watches are extreme (the Casio being too rugged, big and bulky the Omega being very freaking expensive) for everyday use and wanted something that suited my keen personality, short budget and modern taste.

I never liked anything in terms of jewelry or watches from department stores or malls, but when I walked into MACY's during Christmas shopping last december at the local mall I saw these Eco-Drive watches for the first time.

It has always been my opinion that Citizen makes very old fashioned timepieces, yet the Nighthawk Eco-Drive is very different and far more classy than any other Citizen watch on the shelf. Some of the other newer Eco-Drive watches also look edgy and fresher. But the nighthawk captures a boldness with it's appearancethat is very timeless. Needless to say, I tried it on and was sold.

The features are amazing, apart from all the other "timekeeping-based and solar powered-based features you can read about everywhere else on the internet, the Nighthawk also has a multi-functional Slide Rule. This is not really praised or mentioned anywhere else so I will tell you what it is, what it does and why it makes owning this watch very cool!

With the slide rule you can calculate your car's fuel consumption, average speed/velocity and the time you will arrive at your destination, you can also multiply and divide numbers, calculate ratio's into percentages, integers and decimals, covert liters to gallons, pounds to kilograms as well as other metric conversions. The slide rule also performs a few more complicated calculations that involve airplanes and nautical vessels that are beyond my understanding.

At any rate, these calculations can be done by simply rotating the NightHawk's bezel and matching specific arrows at certain points along the dial. (If you don't believe me, you can download the Nighhawk's PDF manual and read up on it for yourself.)

In fact, it is easier than using a calculator and clears up the big mystery of what people used before computers and electronic calculators were invented; they used the "Slide Rule".

Being a grad student, I've read about the slide rules in a variety of classes but I never thought that I would own one on my next watch. I also would have never guessed that the slide rule is so efficient and easier to use than the graphics calculators we use in school.

The only negatives cocerning the Slide Rule feature on the NightHawk are the numbers on the slide rule dial are small and angled inwards so that they are tricky to read without tilting the watch around to get a good view of the numbers. Also the slide rule only approximates and produces whole numbers for some of the more advanced calculations.

Overall, I found that the useful geek-features, outdoorsman durability, everyday comfort and eco-friendliness to be well synthesized in the classy steel body of the Nighthawk Eco-Drive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice watch, looks great, wears well!, February 2, 2012
jcazz (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 7:03 Mins

I've got a small collection of watches (Citizen, Seiko, Orient, Accutron, & Casio), and I've had another eco-drive since around 2002 which is showing its age. I recently bought an Orient Blue Mako, so I wasn't really looking to buy another watch. But this kept catching my eye and I kept finding nothing buy positive reviews so I gave in to temptation.

The watch arrived quickly and my first impressions were very positive. The face is very complex on first glance, but you quickly note the position of the main hour & minute hand and "get" the time very quickly. You can really stare up close at the dial though, there is a ton of detail (more on this in a bit). Overall the "look" of this watch is very appealing. I didn't mention I bought to my wife, and the first night I was wearing it she took a long look and said, "That's a really good looking watch. I really like that" (she normally doesn't pay any attention to my watches. She liked the way it looked so much, she didn't give me too much grief about having bought an Orient the week before!

The bracelet is very nice for a watch in this price range, it's all solid stainless links, but where the bracelet joins the watches' lugs it is just a folded link, not a solid link. The folder over clasp works well and is very secure. I have a large wrist and the bracelet is PLENTY long enough for me. I actually had to make it a smidge smaller with the micro-adjustment on the clasp. The bracelet is subtly brushed, and so far seems to be wearing well (I work at a desk & use a computer all day). There are some desk marks, but they're very minor. The Orient I just bought scratches much more easily, so I'm happy with the durability of the bracelet so far.

The bezel on this watch is a slide rule. There is a crown at the 8 o'clock position that controls the movement of the bezel. It's extremely smooth and seems to let you move it in very fine increments. You can use the slide rule for division, multiplication, unit conversion, and rate/time/distance calculations. It works and you can do it. It's sort of a neat party trick, but I doubt I'll ever find myself in a situation where I was relying on my watch's slide rule to save the day. This watch is billed as a flight watch so maybe there are still some pilots who do things the old-fashioned way and do their calculations by hand? If you want to know how to use the slide rule check out this video: [...]

There is also a GMT face. You can see it on the left side (from 6 to 12) with white & red numbers. There is a separate, double-ended hand with a red-tipped and white-tipped indicator. Out of the box it shows the 24-hour time (white for 00-12 and red for 13 - 24). You can set this to a different hour to have a true GMT indicator. It's a nice feature, and looks interesting, but I don't find I pay much attention to this "sub-dial" really other than what it adds to overall appeal (for me anyway).

The performance of my watch has been good. It's quartz, so it will be more accurate than an automatic watch. It does not sync itself to any of the atomic clocks (like the Citizen Skyhawk does) so I expect I'll eventually have to adjust it for accuracy one of these days.

The lume on the watch is nice and bright - a blue color which is different from the traditional green lume. I haven't gone out of my way to to expose it to bright light, but it's easy enough to read in the middle of the night when I wake up. The lume overall on my Seiko Black Monster is stronger, longer, but this is no problem to see in a dark room even after 5+ hours. I think the size of the hour & minute hand really help; they're very thick and hold a lot of lume.

I am very happy to have this watch in my collection, but my wife gave me the "oh really" look since I just bought another watch about a week before this one!

Pros:
* Looks fantastic in person
* Large enough bracelet for good-sized wrist
* Screw-down crowns for time/date & day
* 200M WR rating
* Solid links on bracelet (for all but end links)
* Good lume on numbers & hands - lume last a long time (plus cool, blue color)
* Eco-drive should last 10+ years (Citizen says they have examples w/ 20+ years on them now)
* Positive comments from the wife & co-workers abound!

Cons:
* The date is a little small, could be a tad bigger & easier to read.
* Folded links at the ends (not solid)
* No lume on second hand or GMT hand(s)
* Uses mineral crystal, could scratch easier than sapphire
* No radio to sync automatically to atomic clock

5.0 out of 5 stars Citizen - who'd have thought it?, December 7, 2005
This is the first Citizen brand watch I've ever bought, and so far, it's as good or better quality than more expensive TAGs I've owned. About the only thing missing (aside from a stopwatch, as noted earlier - but that's debatable if you're not a serious aviator) is a sapphire crystal, which would probably prevent scratches a little better than the standard mineral crystal. For this price, though, I'm not complaining.

I like the layout, the overall appearance and something else nobody mentioned - the band clasp is a very smart design. Not only does it have something similar to the Rolex "Flip-Lock" clasp, but the main clasp has what can best be described as a squeeze lock, which must be pressed together from the sides of the band to release it from the wrist. This thing isn't coming off accidentally.

I got the stainless version, but there is a titanium one available as well as an all-black version. The all black version looked kinda cheap and the titanium was more money, so stainless was the one I chose. Even though I'm not a pilot, the slide rule is functional (perhaps even useful, in some situations) and the instructions for it are easily understood. All that and a five year warranty. And I always equated Citizen with cheaper-made watches - I stand corrected. No regrets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, February 27, 2013
Hey guys, I bought this watch exactly a year ago February 16. It has ran terrific and hasn't had a single malfunction. So let the review begin.

First of all, the pictures don't do this watch justice. In my opinion it looks beautiful in person. I have received many compliments.

The weight of the watch is hefty but not too bad, gives it a good quality feel. The band it comfortable and if very appealing to the eyes.

The dial may look very busy and it is, but it's not that visible a meter and beyond away. Like I said its beautiful.

The crown and slide turn very smoothly and the crown screws down, reinforcing the water resistance. I've wore it in the shower, pool, while fishing, and etc. never a problem.

I have never timed it to see how fast/slow it runs. But it stays close (to the minute) and that's fine for me.

The only drawback I've noticed is the mineral crystal. Put a light scratch on it the very first week, but it's barley noticeable.

The watch fits very well on my 7" wrist and looks good as a sport and casual look. Also looks good in my opinion for dressy occasions.

Has a very nice lume. Overall this is a fantastic watch and is well worth the money in my opinion. I doubt ill ever sell it as it was my first real watch (not a fossil, or cheap Walmart brand). Highly recommended!

If I've helped one person out with this review then mission complete. Over and out.

Jordan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch but needs a stopwatch for aviators, September 29, 2005
Alexys (Anchorage, AK) - See all my reviews
Great watch:

looks great--I get a lot of comments
doesn't need a battery
fantastic layout--a lot of info at a glance: date, local & zulu times
luminous hands
slide rule easy to use and numbers won't rub out (like on external bezel ring slide rules)

However, for serious aviators:

no stopwatch! You will want a stopwatch to go with the slide rule for basic dead reckoning
you'll need another light source to read the slide rule if you're flying at night

also, the crown has an occasional tendency to work itself loose and you can lose your time hack if you don't tighten it every couple days

The closest I've seen to the elusive "perfect aviator's watch"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great-Looking, Multi-Functional Watch!, January 12, 2009
The Citizen Nighthawk has many useful features, such as the ability to do pilot calculations (since it is a pilot's watch), slide rule calculations, division, tip calculations, dual-time capability, date, operates by a solar cell thus excluding the need for a battery, large luminous hands and markers for readability and low-light visibility, and so on. However, my main reasons for buying this watch are because it looks great on the wrist for both casual and evening wear, it is very comfortable to wear despite its large size and it is very durable and reliable. You can be sure that once you start wearing the Citizen Nighthawk you'll have people coming up to you to compliment on your eye-catching watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars cool "calculator" watch., April 16, 2007
G. Powell (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
It get's 4 stars because, well what would you expect, the slide rule is accurate to 2 decimal places. And it could have given you 3. Oh well. If you are using your watch to calculate your arrival time you probably don't really care if you are off by a few minutes.

Ok, why is a circular slide rule cool? First, lots of common calculations are really just ratios. Kilometers to miles or statue miles to nautical miles, pounds to Kilograms's. This watch has the markers in the slide rule, so you just align one mark with the number you want to convert and look at the number that the other unit of measure is over and there you are. You do have to keep track of the magnitude of the answer but that's not hard. You can do sq roots but it's a pain. Basic multiplication and division is easy. Doing the approximation for a tip at restraunt, just set the percentage over the "10" mark, and look for you bill at the inside ring, read the tip on the outside ring. No need to even adjust the watch. You can easily set it up before dinner. Note: if you stare at your watch while trying to read the tip value, you may get called "rude" by your date! Better to just overestimate...

Downside, if you do not have perfect vision, you'll have a hard time reading the sliderule. Don't even think about doing this while you are driving. My eyes are fine with it in good light.

On the other hand, the time hands and numerals are plenty large enough and easy to read. The luminescent marks seem to stay bright for about an hour, which is good enough for us casual night hawks. Otherwise you need a watch that has tritium and who knows whether that will pass airport security these days.

One other thing is that the 24 hr inner hand can be easily obscured by the main watch hands. So this feature not very handy as a second timezone clock. It will help you remember the military time, but at say 11:00 you can't see the underlying hand. Not a big thing, and I suppose if you set to say 8 or 9 hours difference it might be more visible.

All in all, a cool watch, even if the slide rule control is built for a lefty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Eco-Drive!, November 9, 2006
This is my fourth (a fifth, limited-edition is on order) Eco-Drive. I collect a lot of watches but these are some of my favs to actually wear and use. They are the most accurate watches I've ever owned, bar-none. The Nighthawk is solid, well made, and a delight to wear. There are few watches on which I'd change nothing, but this is one. I also got an excellent price and great service. Many thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine watch to have, February 27, 2006
Citizen Eco-drive Nighthawk is a great watch to have. Its craftsmanship is wonderful. Looks awfully nice. I wanted to have the titanium version but was a bit pricy - so ended up with stainless steel one.

Keeps perfect time. Eco-drive means no change of battery. One of the big reasons I bought it was the slide rule. Not that I use the slide rule often. However, if you are a fan of slide rule - you will love it. As some other reviewers mentioned it will be good to have stop watch, day, month etc functionalities. But even without all that it is a awfully nice watch to wear.

The dial is a bit big and it's a bit heavy. I don't know whether pilots find this useful or not - but if you are a watch lover, it is a great watch to own and wear.

Olaf Johnson (Anchorage, AK 99505) - See all my reviews
Sweet watch, I've been wearing mine for 4 months.

I'm an Environmental Engineering Student and I also currently own an Omega Speedmaster ($2100 graduation gift from Dad) and a Titanium Pro-Trek Casio Triple Sensor Watch (Compass, Altimeter & Temperature $295.00) that I used for my previous job as an outdoors wilderness instructor.

Citizen makes some ugly and very old fashioned timepieces, yet the Nighthawk Eco-Drive is very different and far more classy than any other Citizen watch on the shelf. I tried it on and was sold.

Rate and Discover Movies