5.0 out of 5 stars Best watch I've ever owned!
I've owned dive watches for over 40 years & this is the best one ever. Very rugged, & solid & I wear it every day in heavy construction work. Highly recommended & best buy for the money.
Published 21 months ago by phil chirico

1.0 out of 5 stars I bought a brand new watch directly from Amazon, but...???
This watch is a beautiful, heavy duty watch. I would give it 5 stars except for a few troublesome issues. I purchased this watch directly from Amazon as brand new.

Published 13 months ago by B. Satow

5.0 out of 5 stars Best watch I've ever owned!, November 15, 2012
This review is from: Citizen Men's BJ8050-08E Eco-Drive Professional Diver Black Sport Watch (Watch)
UPDATE: I bought this watch in August 2011 and like I said in last year's review, I wear it every day in heavy construction work; dirt, oil, concrete, water, chemicals, shock, vibration etc. The watch & band are still like brand new after nearly 2 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, June 7, 2007
MJ NEL (South Africa) - See all my reviews
I recently ordered the watch and received it in record time. I own 6 dive watches but this is the flagship!The case that it comes in is classy and the watch is BIG and beautiful. It is extremely luminescent at night and a great dive watch.You could actually wear it as a dress watch too.I would highly recommend the watch to any diver or watch lover.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall a great watch, but some things you should know first.., June 4, 2013
I bought this watch to use while learning to dive, and based upon the reviews it ticked all of the boxes:

1) 200+ m
2) good luminosity
3) unidirectional bezel
4) stainless steel or titanium
5) high contrast dial for underwater visibility
6) reputable brand

As an added bonus, I also got:

* diver extension watch band
* a watch powered by light

However, there are some things I did not anticipate:

a) bezel has only 60 clicks per 360 degrees
b) band has a custom connection for the lugs

Let me say a little about the above points, since they may matter to you:

Firstly, the bezel clicks once for each minute mark instead of twice. The 2 other dive watches I have (Seiko SKZ251 aka Frankenmonster and Invicta 6546 Subaqua Noma IV) both have 120 clicks per 360 degrees and you notice the difference. I don't expect that I will need 0.5 minute resolution for diving, but the point is, that the more clicks, the smoother it is to turn; and the action on this thing feels a little clunky.

Secondly, the band has a custom interface for the lugs. Since it is not standard, it means that you won't be able to change the band (unless you purchase an adapter to suit standard 24mm pins. There are two main suppliers, and the better one retails for around $70 USD + shipping).

If these two factors aren't a big deal, then you may want to consider this watch. It's cheap, durable, and does the other things I said above. I have no regrets and would consider the titanium 1000m for my right hand should my left hand be bitten off by a shark.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch!, August 21, 2013
Have owned this watch for over 5 years and love it. Am a certified Search and Recovery diver and do not use it much for work diving as I use a back up computer on my wrist. But this is one of the best thought out watches for ONE SIMPLE FACT...The CROWN is on the left side of the watch for us right handers. That alone makes this my favorite watch to wear and it is my daily wearer when on duty at FD and off. I own two other professional dive watches and they will literally put a callus on your wrist from the crown rubbing and sticking into your wrist. So I basically have over 1,000 dollars in watches sitting in my bedroom and never getting worn because of this watch. Highly recommend this simply if you want a dive watch both for actually sport diving AND if you simply like wearing larger watches. As far as the band not having common springs on the band as another reviewer stated...I just have the band replaced...Have done it once in the five years i have owned it. If you don't have it in the water as often as I do, it will probably last a lot longer than mine has.

1.0 out of 5 stars I bought a brand new watch directly from Amazon, but...???, July 9, 2013
B. Satow (Berkeley, CA) - See all my reviews

1. When I received the watch it looked like the box containing the watch had been previously opened. The band extension was not put in the box correctly. There were no clear plastic protector stickers on the face of the watch. The tiny booklets were not on the inside of the box, but rather on the outside with one booklet cover folded. One booklet was on top of the box and the other one on the side. The little serial tag was tied on by a cheap white string, like it was in a window display, rather than the black elastic type normal found on their watches. The band looks and feels like it was exposed to light and air for a long time. I don't know if Amazon sells refurbished or returned watches and labels them as new, but I do feel very distrustful toward Amazon because of this issue. Remember, I bought the directly from Amazon, not a third party seller.

2. The bezel is only a 60 click bezel rather than a 120 click bezel. If you've owned dive watches before then you understand what I am talking about. The bezel itself feels cheap and lightweight. If you push down on the bezel, there is a lightweight feel and a spring give to it. The rest of the watch is heavy duty and built like a tank. I cannot understand why they would cheapen the bezel feel. Of course, I don't know if this bezel is the actual one that comes with a new watch, or it was replaced with a cheaper one, since I still am not sure that I initially received a brand new watch.

3. The back cover of the watch is screwed on crooked. Normally when I buy a brand new watch, the emblem on the back cover of the watch is inline with the band or with the set knob. It seems like this watch may of been opened before. To change a gasket seal? To repair something? I do not know if the watch is watch resistant up to it's rating. If I take this watch diving, and if I have to depend my health on it, who would be responsible? I think the seller. I am basing the specs of this watch as brand new, not refurbish, not a returned item, as sold new by Amazon.

4. The second hand on this watch do not hit the tick marks. The second hand lands between them. I can understand this happening on automatics, but not on a quartz watch. This is somewhat disappointing. Many of my friends who have similar Citizen dive watches tell me that their second hand falls squarely on the tick marks. Very odd.

I don't believe Amazon will read this review, but if they actually do, I hope they do something about it. I don't plan on exchanging this watch until I receive one that looks like it is brand new, in the box packaged, and works as spec'ed. When they do, I will return this one. I would suggest buyers of any watch directly from Amazon to make sure that the watch they receive looks like it was packaged new and not opened previously.

UPDATE:
After contacting Amazon about my issues they sent me another watch. Same type of packaging, watch looked like it was previously opened. And to top it off, the main booklet was missing. So I returned it. The first watch they sent me was in better condition than the replacement. I do not know where Amazon purchases these watches. I believe that these watches do not come directly from Citizen Japan. They might of been rejects from Citizen Japan and sold to China or some other country which repairs them and sells them wholesale as factory new. Thus Amazon may of bulk purchases those watches and sells them as new. Unfortunately, they don't have the quality control that you would get if you purchased a new watch from Citizen Japan. That is my guess. When I purchased a prior Citizen Eco watch, it was a cheaper $75 watch. It was sealed in the box and came with a warranty card that was plastic, like a credit card. The booklets were stored inside the box, the watch had a plastic protector sheet on front and back. The watch looked completely new, polished and protected before the consumer uses it. The second hand hit the mark exactly. Everything was perfect. I knew that this watch came directly from Citizen Japan. I expect that type of quality, when purchasing ANY watch from Amazon. Very disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bold and tough, June 1, 2013
This thing is bullet proof. If you're an active person or actually go diving this would be a must have. It feels heavy and solid unlike most things made today. The glass is very thick. Never needs batteries!

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality controls., November 26, 2013
Firstly part of the charm of this watch was lost when the one I received from Amazon had a loose minute hand (the minute hand shifted with gravity as I rotated the watch).

Secondly it sits quite "tall" off the skin on the watch.

I didn't like that the ring that has the engraved "professional diver's 300m" screwed off easily.

I didn't like the 60 click bezel, especially because it didn't line up with the minute markers correctly.

I have a couple of citizen Eco drives, and I felt the quality of this one sub par, given the more hefty price tag.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hate to give it a one...,, March 22, 2013
As I'm sure its the seller, whomever that may be. But i think this watch was used, or at the very least a display model.
There was not static cling protection on the watch face or the back - and I've purchased much cheaper watches that have that!
To me it looked like the items that come with the watch were just shoved into the box and were out of the holders. And to top it off there was a deep scratch the size of a pencil eraser at the 3:00 position on the back of the case. May have been a tool mark. I can't request a replacement as Amazon was not the fulfiller but just the shipper. So if I want this watch, I will have to re-order from Amazon and then take a chance that it too is not defective or damaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome chunk of a watch!, March 21, 2010
I've got two of these--stainless and titanium--and love them both. I also collect Panerai watches which are known for their size, and the Citizen sees as much (or more) wrist time than any of my other watches. There's a certain comfort in feeling the heft of a big watch on your wrist.

First of all, this thing is indestructible. It's made for t-shirt and jeans wearing, as it does not comfortably fit under a dress shirt, but this is not the watch to buy if you want one watch only. The eco-drive is perfect for part-time watches as it keeps perfect time and lasts over six months on a charge. Mine has also been down to 100' diving, and the extra strap material works great with a wet suit. I also never have an issue using it to bang on my tank to get attention under water. :)

Buy it, wear it, use it, love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars serious watch, serious quality, April 15, 2009
I've been wearing this watch for just about a year now. I've experienced no problems what so ever. Yes, it is big. Yes, it is heavy. If you take your watch off to sleep, it will make a thud as it hits the floor; but you have no reason to fear breaking it. I don't think I could break it. I'd have to use some kind of heavy weighted hammer and intentionally, deliberately, try to damage it. I've received compliments on it as well.

Rate and Discover Movies