on August 18, 2014
First just a bit of history, I am a Rescue Diver with PADI and have been since 1990. I have been a dive watch lover since I was a very young boy. I have and have had many, many dive watches, Seiko Pro DIvers, the first Citizen analog Aqualand with the depth gauge built in, several Luminox watches, many G-Shocks as well as some more expensive brands such as Breitling etc. This is stated only to allow you to know that I am not a novice to dive watches and dive watch design. I am a heavy equipment Salesman in Florida by trade and am constantly on, around and under machinery. I needed a watch that was reliable and fairly tough. I am not intentionally rough on watches but the environment I am in can be tough just by its nature.

After really researching my next watch purchase I kept coming back to this watch. As I am, sure you have read this watch is big. I am 6'2" and around 220-225. It fits me well. I do not know my wrist size. It sits tall on the arm, so much so that you have to adjust your movements of your watch arm as it can hit things, a week or so in and I was adjusted. There is a design feature that I think some folks don't quite understand regarding the crown. The crown of this watch is on the left hand side. Many reviews indicate that this was done for comfort. Rest assured this may be so but this would be a secondary reason. The crown is on the left as this watch was specifically designed to be a professional commercial divers watch and is ISO certified as such. This is a rough job, welding, working with large tools, hammering etc. all under water. The crown is on the left side specifically to keep it from being damaged during this type of work. Yes it also will keep it from digging into your hand as well. The watch is quite simply profoundly robust. I see some complain that this (the crown being on the left side of the watch) makes it tough to adjust and with it on I can see that being the case. All that you have to do is just slide it off and make the adjustment. In my opinion this is a small thing and should not really detract from the overall watch enjoyment.

Also as you might have read it has a very specific band and band attachment system that is not like any other. This design is an extremely stout band mounting system which falls in line with its build quality overall. It does represent an issue if you want to change bands however. Fortunately there are some adapters that can be bought to enable the use of other popular bands (a short visit to any dive watch forum and you can secure this information). I myself do not find the standard band that uncomfortable. I can see if you are between the sizing holes (one too lose and the next too tight) how it could be however. The band is extremely strong, it would take an enormous amount of force to cause this band to break.

One very important feature of any dive watch to me is the luminosity of the hands and markers and their ability to remain legible for long periods of time. This watch is still very easy to read in the morning when I wake up. And by this I mean all of it, I can even make out the second hand ticking away in the morning. Even the small dot in the bezel @ 12 is very legible. This is anywhere from 6-8 hours after I go to sleep, so it is really excellent in this regard. If you come from a bright day outside into an area that is darker, say like going into a restaurant, the watch looks almost radioactive as it glows super bright. The color of the lume is different than most other watches as it is a light aqua blue color. For me the ability to still read the time early in the morning is very important. Having this luminosity for diving, working at night etc. is a great feature. I wanted something that has a lot of contrast and that I could simply glance at and know the time. This watch delivers this in spades. The orange minute hand along with the white hour hand and the watch face make attaining the time instant upon giving it a glance. .

The watch is accurate to about 4 seconds a month which is excellent by any standard. This accuracy and the knowledge that the watch should give me between (at least) 15-20 years of service before it needs anything in the way of service (assuming nothing drastic happens obviously) are very reassuring due to the Eco-Drive system. I have several friends who have eco-Drives, some for over 12 years now, and none of them have ever had an issue. Be advised however that this watch nor any Eco-Drive watch should be stored in a dark area for any extended length of time. It would seem that most all who have had problems have had problems due to the watch being stored to the point where it loses its charge. Under normal circumstances all the watch should need is good light and to be re-set, but it does appear that sometimes they have to be sent in. One very neat feature of this watch is how it communicates its status to you. Once the charge level goes below a certain level the second hand will start to move in 2 second intervals. If it has gone dead it has another staggered pattern that it moves in that indicates that it knows it has lost time and needs to be re-set. None of this should be an issue for me as I intend on wearing this watch every day.

I had read before purchasing this watch that that it was possible and likely that the second hand would not line up exactly with each minute mark and mine is this way. It is a little off (just a touch) to the right but you really have to look closely to notice this. And the bezel does have a slight clacking sound if you give it a light rap with your fingers but it works very well and is 60 clicks per revolution. Sure it would be great to have the 120 click silky smooth action of the Seiko divers watches but for the excellent build quality of this watch I am fine with it as it is. If the watch was at a higher price point then this would be a little more of an issue. I think the majority of the money on this watch is spent on the case and movement. Most watches at this price point have some trade offs and I personally am fine with it the way it is. I was able to get the minute hand absolutely right on the minute marks when the second hand reaches 12 and this is much more important to me (it did take me a few times).

My decision came down to the Seiko Monster or the Ecozilla. In the end I went with the Ecozilla as many of the Seiko Monster owners report that the watches are not terribly accurate. This is not a knock on Seiko as I love Seiko and I think that the Monster represents an outstanding value. I am very particular about a watches accuracy, 4 seconds a month is much easier for me to deal with than minutes a month. Still I love the Seiko Monster and will eventually buy one as I love the automatic movement.

This is truly an exceptional value watch. The build quality in this price range, in my opinion, is unmatched. You get a watch depth rated to 984 feet (round it off to 1000 to be a simple figure), a 6 mm crystal, outstanding lume and accuracy, and one of the more rugged watch cases around. I know it is not for everyone and I myself don't think it is a "Beautiful" watch. What I do know is that I have a watch that is extremely robust in its build quality, extremely accurate, that I can dive with, work with and read early in the morning, that should provide me with years of service.

All in all I really like it.
on November 9, 2014
Awesome dive watch for the money, I converted stock band with aftermarket Citizilla lug adaptors and a 7 row brushed stainless band that matches case perfectly. I have many watches but I can't seem to wear anything else right now it's my favorite. Highly recommend for those who like a big heavy dive watch.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 24, 2014
I really want to love this watch but I've had a hard time deciding whom to blame for the issues I've seen. This watch looks very cool and is super large. It's very thick and feels like a chunk of stainless steel on the wrist. Yes, you *must* buy adapters to convert the watch to use a bracelet or another band -- but it's such a cool watch -- it's worth the extra cost. The adapters range in cost from $50-$75 available from 3rd party sellers.

The downside of this watch is just getting one that has its fit and finish correct. The first Amazon watch (direct Amazon not 3rd party) arrived fine -- but when I removed the adapter, there was a huge tool mark blemish. [I have uploaded a customer photo of the tool mark blemish.]

For a $250 watch, there shouldn't be anything wrong. Sent it back and ordered a replacement. The blemish isn't there but there are clearly some poor quality tool marks from Citizen's fabrication of the outer case. These are very small tool marks and hardly noticeable but when removing the adapters, they are much more obvious. Again, a $250 watch shouldn't have these tool marks.

Another minor point is that on the new watch, the bezel is loose compared to the first one I received. It was much more stiff and it felt better in my opinion.

I've also contacted Citizen Watch Warranty support via email and they blew me off and basically told me to deal with Amazon. I have purchased Citizen watches in the past but, to be honest, I don't think I will again in the near future.

I'm not going to play musical chairs with Amazon. I guess the moral of this story is you must go purchase this watch IN PERSON and see for yourself what you're buying. Ask the dealer to remove the adapters before accepting it!
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 15, 2012
I've owned dive watches for over 40 years & this is the best one ever. Very rugged, & solid & I wear it every day in heavy construction work. Highly recommended & best buy for the money.
UPDATE: I bought this watch in August 2011 and like I said in last year's review, I wear it every day in heavy construction work; dirt, oil, concrete, water, chemicals, shock, vibration etc. The watch & band are still like brand new after nearly 2 years.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 4, 2013
I bought this watch to use while learning to dive, and based upon the reviews it ticked all of the boxes:

1) 200+ m
2) good luminosity
3) unidirectional bezel
4) stainless steel or titanium
5) high contrast dial for underwater visibility
6) reputable brand

As an added bonus, I also got:

* diver extension watch band
* a watch powered by light

However, there are some things I did not anticipate:

a) bezel has only 60 clicks per 360 degrees
b) band has a custom connection for the lugs

Let me say a little about the above points, since they may matter to you:

Firstly, the bezel clicks once for each minute mark instead of twice. The 2 other dive watches I have (Seiko SKZ251 aka Frankenmonster and Invicta 6546 Subaqua Noma IV) both have 120 clicks per 360 degrees and you notice the difference. I don't expect that I will need 0.5 minute resolution for diving, but the point is, that the more clicks, the smoother it is to turn; and the action on this thing feels a little clunky.

Secondly, the band has a custom interface for the lugs. Since it is not standard, it means that you won't be able to change the band (unless you purchase an adapter to suit standard 24mm pins. There are two main suppliers, and the better one retails for around $70 USD + shipping).

If these two factors aren't a big deal, then you may want to consider this watch. It's cheap, durable, and does the other things I said above. I have no regrets and would consider the titanium 1000m for my right hand should my left hand be bitten off by a shark.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 9, 2013
This watch is a beautiful, heavy duty watch. I would give it 5 stars except for a few troublesome issues. I purchased this watch directly from Amazon as brand new.

1. When I received the watch it looked like the box containing the watch had been previously opened. The band extension was not put in the box correctly. There were no clear plastic protector stickers on the face of the watch. The tiny booklets were not on the inside of the box, but rather on the outside with one booklet cover folded. One booklet was on top of the box and the other one on the side. The little serial tag was tied on by a cheap white string, like it was in a window display, rather than the black elastic type normal found on their watches. The band looks and feels like it was exposed to light and air for a long time. I don't know if Amazon sells refurbished or returned watches and labels them as new, but I do feel very distrustful toward Amazon because of this issue. Remember, I bought the directly from Amazon, not a third party seller.

2. The bezel is only a 60 click bezel rather than a 120 click bezel. If you've owned dive watches before then you understand what I am talking about. The bezel itself feels cheap and lightweight. If you push down on the bezel, there is a lightweight feel and a spring give to it. The rest of the watch is heavy duty and built like a tank. I cannot understand why they would cheapen the bezel feel. Of course, I don't know if this bezel is the actual one that comes with a new watch, or it was replaced with a cheaper one, since I still am not sure that I initially received a brand new watch.

3. The back cover of the watch is screwed on crooked. Normally when I buy a brand new watch, the emblem on the back cover of the watch is inline with the band or with the set knob. It seems like this watch may of been opened before. To change a gasket seal? To repair something? I do not know if the watch is watch resistant up to it's rating. If I take this watch diving, and if I have to depend my health on it, who would be responsible? I think the seller. I am basing the specs of this watch as brand new, not refurbish, not a returned item, as sold new by Amazon.

4. The second hand on this watch do not hit the tick marks. The second hand lands between them. I can understand this happening on automatics, but not on a quartz watch. This is somewhat disappointing. Many of my friends who have similar Citizen dive watches tell me that their second hand falls squarely on the tick marks. Very odd.

I don't believe Amazon will read this review, but if they actually do, I hope they do something about it. I don't plan on exchanging this watch until I receive one that looks like it is brand new, in the box packaged, and works as spec'ed. When they do, I will return this one. I would suggest buyers of any watch directly from Amazon to make sure that the watch they receive looks like it was packaged new and not opened previously.

UPDATE:
After contacting Amazon about my issues they sent me another watch. Same type of packaging, watch looked like it was previously opened. And to top it off, the main booklet was missing. So I returned it. The first watch they sent me was in better condition than the replacement. I do not know where Amazon purchases these watches. I believe that these watches do not come directly from Citizen Japan. They might of been rejects from Citizen Japan and sold to China or some other country which repairs them and sells them wholesale as factory new. Thus Amazon may of bulk purchases those watches and sells them as new. Unfortunately, they don't have the quality control that you would get if you purchased a new watch from Citizen Japan. That is my guess. When I purchased a prior Citizen Eco watch, it was a cheaper $75 watch. It was sealed in the box and came with a warranty card that was plastic, like a credit card. The booklets were stored inside the box, the watch had a plastic protector sheet on front and back. The watch looked completely new, polished and protected before the consumer uses it. The second hand hit the mark exactly. Everything was perfect. I knew that this watch came directly from Citizen Japan. I expect that type of quality, when purchasing ANY watch from Amazon. Very disappointed.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 7, 2007
I recently ordered the watch and received it in record time. I own 6 dive watches but this is the flagship!The case that it comes in is classy and the watch is BIG and beautiful. It is extremely luminescent at night and a great dive watch.You could actually wear it as a dress watch too.I would highly recommend the watch to any diver or watch lover.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 21, 2013
Have owned this watch for over 5 years and love it. Am a certified Search and Recovery diver and do not use it much for work diving as I use a back up computer on my wrist. But this is one of the best thought out watches for ONE SIMPLE FACT...The CROWN is on the left side of the watch for us right handers. That alone makes this my favorite watch to wear and it is my daily wearer when on duty at FD and off. I own two other professional dive watches and they will literally put a callus on your wrist from the crown rubbing and sticking into your wrist. So I basically have over 1,000 dollars in watches sitting in my bedroom and never getting worn because of this watch. Highly recommend this simply if you want a dive watch both for actually sport diving AND if you simply like wearing larger watches. As far as the band not having common springs on the band as another reviewer stated...I just have the band replaced...Have done it once in the five years i have owned it. If you don't have it in the water as often as I do, it will probably last a lot longer than mine has.
on June 1, 2013
This thing is bullet proof. If you're an active person or actually go diving this would be a must have. It feels heavy and solid unlike most things made today. The glass is very thick. Never needs batteries!
on January 4, 2015
What's all the talk about this new Citizen BJ8050-08E...reading all these great reviews.....all over the Internet .....wherever this watch shows up.....excellent overall reviews.....being a avid watch collector...so...I had to try one.. why not !

Then one day I received it.......looked it over .....not bad....the case is well made....the crown screws in with precision......

About One Year Later......In very brief my opinion from experience with the watch........

"Special Divers Eco-Drive Caliber" movement.

Accuracy is about 18 seconds fast in 6 months...yes.. I couldn't believe it !!!

"Stainless Steel Case" that is very well made.

"Mineral Type Crystal" that is 6mm thick and has a UV coating (bluish tint).

51mm Dia. + 18mm Thick ....not a year round wearing watch....too thick....short sleeves only!

"Low Charge Warning Feature" every 2 seconds skip with the second hand.

"Time Set Warning Feature" second hand goes 1,2,3 very fast then skips another 2 seconds all in one step to let you know the watch stopped and the time is off.

"Overcharge Prevention Function" watch does not over charge the battery.

"Secondary Battery" that never needs replacing.

"Rubber Type Band" very high quality.

"ISO Certified Watch" weighing about 176 grams....kind of heavy but you get use to it.

This watch is very luminous under water and great for diving and is approved in the manual for saturation diving....comfortable to wear...and I happen to like this better than many of my higher end watches....set it once and forget it until Daylight Savings Time!
I... like... that!

I also got with mine.. an extra length.. "Rubber Extension Strap" for fitting wet suits when diving.

In the exact same style as the above "Eco-Zilla 300M Stainless Version"...
there is a all "Titanium Eco-zilla 300M Version" that might be still available.... and a "1000M Titanium Auto-zilla Durateck Mechanical Version."

I have all three models stated above... and for what your paying for....these watches are all undervalued in the kind of quality you get for your money!

Now.....is it worth it?.......Yes!....Your getting your moneys worth in a well made watch!