Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Ty Dolla Sign egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

on March 10, 2014
I recently got the Citizen BL5470-06A as a gift and it is my third Citizen Eco-Drive watch. All three are versatile (Calibre 8700 BL8000-54L, E111-S065917, BL5470), look great, and are a great value for the price point. I have not found any comparable brands in quality and value at the $250-500 price range.

Here are the highlights of this watch:
- beautiful, classy silver/white face
- solid, heavy construction; water resistant to 100 meters
- perpetual calendar (here's the video for setting the time/date http:[...]
- the numbers and watch hands glow in the dark (subtle but functional)
- great chronograph that measures 1/20th of a second (start-stop watch feature)

Here are the things I didn't like:
- I found the watch to be a bit too thick when wearing a suit. I have to really pry open my shirt cuff because the thickness makes my shirt cuffs feel tight at the wrists. I was hoping to use this watch for both casual and formal but it looks like I won't be wearing it with my suits. I prefer my other slim Citizen watch for suits.
- I don't think the watch band feels or looks cheap (like other reviewers have said). But the band is a bit stiff and needs to be bent and broken in. The watch does not sit at the center of my wrist (like my other watches do) but leans away, forcing me to really twist my wrist to see the time. I bought another strap (Hadley-Roma MSM898RR-220 Tan Alligator leather strap) but found that the white watch face looks best in contrast to a darker band.

I think the watch's setup can seem intimidating but if you go to Citizen's web site and read the instructions or watch the video on youtube or on the CD, it's very simple. I think it's unfortunate the watch gets low ratings because people are too lazy to find and follow instructions. Take note that the dial does not turn. It's a great piece and my wife absolutely loves it! Highly recommended!
review image review image review image
on August 29, 2012
Attractive quality watch with Eco Drive so no battery to replace. It is easy to set up if you never try to read the manual and instead use the cd that comes with the watch. Large face and contrasting info dials look great, strap is a quality leather band with steel clasp. Once the perpetual calendar is set (and the watch remains charged) you never have to adjust for months with 30 (or 28-29) days. At least not through 2100, so my grandchild will have to worry about that. So far keeping perfect time and very comfortable to wear.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2014
First things first, if your wrist is 7.5"+, then you'd be down to the second to last hole on the strap. I think that's the maximum. If your wrist is 8"+, you will 100% need a different strap.

This is a beautiful watch, but I was a tiny bit let down by its appearance in real life, only because my expectation was way too high.

My main beef is the 3 chornograph dials. Unlike my other citizen chronograph watches, the chronograph dials on this watch have thin transparent, reflective plastic cover printed with white dials. Such choice of plastic transparent material makes it pretty obvious that the 3 circles are acting as solar cell, and can make the watch look a bit cheap if you catch it at the right angle.

I presume this was done to let more light in because this watch probably uses more battery than other eco drive watches. Had those dials been matte finished like other eco-drive watches, it would've been better.

There's also slight embossing around printed hour markings, which I'm not a fan of, because it doesn't appear to be a deliberate design. The embossing looks nice in Amazon product photo, but the edges don't look anywhere near as sharp in real life product.

With that said, these are only apparent upon closer inspection and overall, the watch is still very beautiful. It is also a very good value considering its feature set.

Just do yourself a favor and look up this watches movement number on youtube for set-up instruction, because the printed manual isn't helpful.
on April 21, 2014
This watch is very aesthetically pleasing and is comfortable. I ended up having to return it as it is very cumbersome to change the date and time. There are a lot of steps to change the time even just an hour which is not only a bit confusing but a pain if you are traveling for work and need to update the time. If I did not have to travel for work I probably would have considered keeping it but also note that the band is a bit lighter than it appears on the picture. Overall its a good product so long as you are not needing to update the time frequently.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2013
My wife bought this for me as a wedding present. I had it for a month and could already see wear on the band. I treat it pretty nicely so this came as a pretty big surprise. Ive had it for three months now; the wear has not gotten a whole lot worse, but Im looking into getting another band. I have another citizen and have been extremely happy with the movement of both this and the other watch, but for the money you'd think citizen would use quality leather.
on November 7, 2014
Beautiful watch and keeps excellent time. Eco-Drive so no need to ever replace any batteries. As several people have posted, the paper manual that comes with the watch is useless. However, it comes with a CD and you can also find useful instructions on youtube. You may ask why instructions are necessary for a watch? The initial setting and changing of settings for daylight savings, alarm, stop watch, etc. is not something you can figure out just by looking at the watch. But once you figure it out, it's really pretty simple.

Pros: Beautiful watch and no batteries necessary.
Cons: The leather band is of very poor quality and shows signs of wear less than a month after purchase.
on June 22, 2013
Great for dress or casual wear, this watch looks even better in real life. The brushed steel face looks almost like a white face, but the light catches it in interesting ways. The luminous numbers and hands make it easy to read in low light. The many features this watch offers are really cool. The size and weight of this watch are just right, not too big and heavy, but it's not small, or light and cheap feeling (like the titanium model) either. The dark brown band compliments the watch nicely and is very comfortable.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2013
I originally bought a Seiko via Amazon since I always had them as my primary watch. However I returned the Seiko since its features were not what I wanted. I replaced it with this Citizen's watch. It is my first Citizens and I love it. It has all the features I want ( alarm, luminous dial, multiple time zone, perpetual calendar, chronograph) and it is easy to use. The accompanying CD was the key to setting it up the first time.
on December 7, 2013
Appearance: This is an awesome watch and the photos do not justice at all to the real watch in flesh.
Functionality: No need for batteries, perpetual calendar is extremely useful, keeping time is accurate once calibrated with a time source from the internet, the only drawback is the quality of the leather band (Not too bad and not superb, just acceptable).
Watch Setting: many people declared that setting the watch is a tiresome process. The manual contains two types of movements, so check the one inside your watch and go set it according to instructions. The process is very straight forward and you will admire the way setting is organized by Citizen. If you challenge any problems, do not tamper with the watch and go straight to your nearest Citizen dealer and they shall set it freely for you and also show you how to do it yourself. Excellent product for the money.
One last thing: the watch is very eye catching and you will get a lot of nice complements.
on October 3, 2013
I bought this watch for my husbands birthday. It was exactly what he was looking for. It's a beautiful watch.