Top positive review
28 people found this helpful
A beautiful, new design, great functionality, and never needs a battery!
on March 10, 2014
I recently got the Citizen BL5470-06A as a gift and it is my third Citizen Eco-Drive watch. All three are versatile (Calibre 8700 BL8000-54L, E111-S065917, BL5470), look great, and are a great value for the price point. I have not found any comparable brands in quality and value at the $250-500 price range.
Here are the highlights of this watch:
- beautiful, classy silver/white face
- solid, heavy construction; water resistant to 100 meters
- perpetual calendar (here's the video for setting the time/date http:[...]
- the numbers and watch hands glow in the dark (subtle but functional)
- great chronograph that measures 1/20th of a second (start-stop watch feature)
Here are the things I didn't like:
- I found the watch to be a bit too thick when wearing a suit. I have to really pry open my shirt cuff because the thickness makes my shirt cuffs feel tight at the wrists. I was hoping to use this watch for both casual and formal but it looks like I won't be wearing it with my suits. I prefer my other slim Citizen watch for suits.
- I don't think the watch band feels or looks cheap (like other reviewers have said). But the band is a bit stiff and needs to be bent and broken in. The watch does not sit at the center of my wrist (like my other watches do) but leans away, forcing me to really twist my wrist to see the time. I bought another strap (Hadley-Roma MSM898RR-220 Tan Alligator leather strap) but found that the white watch face looks best in contrast to a darker band.
I think the watch's setup can seem intimidating but if you go to Citizen's web site and read the instructions or watch the video on youtube or on the CD, it's very simple. I think it's unfortunate the watch gets low ratings because people are too lazy to find and follow instructions. Take note that the dial does not turn. It's a great piece and my wife absolutely loves it! Highly recommended!