5.0 out of 5 stars Eco Drive Perpetual Chronograph BL5470-06A
Published on August 29, 2012 by Ronald G. Heiber

3.0 out of 5 stars Not travel friendly.
Published 9 months ago by Alex Eisen

5.0 out of 5 stars Eco Drive Perpetual Chronograph BL5470-06A, August 29, 2012
This review is from: Citizen Men's BL5470-06A Stainless Steel Eco-Drive Watch with Leather Band (Watch)
Attractive quality watch with Eco Drive so no battery to replace. It is easy to set up if you never try to read the manual and instead use the cd that comes with the watch. Large face and contrasting info dials look great, strap is a quality leather band with steel clasp. Once the perpetual calendar is set (and the watch remains charged) you never have to adjust for months with 30 (or 28-29) days. At least not through 2100, so my grandchild will have to worry about that. So far keeping perfect time and very comfortable to wear.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, new design, great functionality, and never needs a battery!, March 10, 2014
Cristiano (Seoul, Korea) - See all my reviews
I recently got the Citizen BL5470-06A as a gift and it is my third Citizen Eco-Drive watch. All three are versatile (Calibre 8700 BL8000-54L, E111-S065917, BL5470), look great, and are a great value for the price point. I have not found any comparable brands in quality and value at the $250-500 price range.

Here are the highlights of this watch:
- beautiful, classy silver/white face
- solid, heavy construction; water resistant to 100 meters
- perpetual calendar (here's the video for setting the time/date http:[...]
- the numbers and watch hands glow in the dark (subtle but functional)
- great chronograph that measures 1/20th of a second (start-stop watch feature)

Here are the things I didn't like:
- I found the watch to be a bit too thick when wearing a suit. I have to really pry open my shirt cuff because the thickness makes my shirt cuffs feel tight at the wrists. I was hoping to use this watch for both casual and formal but it looks like I won't be wearing it with my suits. I prefer my other slim Citizen watch for suits.
- I don't think the watch band feels or looks cheap (like other reviewers have said). But the band is a bit stiff and needs to be bent and broken in. The watch does not sit at the center of my wrist (like my other watches do) but leans away, forcing me to really twist my wrist to see the time. I bought another strap (Hadley-Roma MSM898RR-220 Tan Alligator leather strap) but found that the white watch face looks best in contrast to a darker band.

I think the watch's setup can seem intimidating but if you go to Citizen's web site and read the instructions or watch the video on youtube or on the CD, it's very simple. I think it's unfortunate the watch gets low ratings because people are too lazy to find and follow instructions. Take note that the dial does not turn. It's a great piece and my wife absolutely loves it! Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful watch with great features, May 6, 2013
I originally bought a Seiko via Amazon since I always had them as my primary watch. However I returned the Seiko since its features were not what I wanted. I replaced it with this Citizen's watch. It is my first Citizens and I love it. It has all the features I want ( alarm, luminous dial, multiple time zone, perpetual calendar, chronograph) and it is easy to use. The accompanying CD was the key to setting it up the first time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, but looks a tad more expensive in picture, June 13, 2014
Jung I. Lee (Fort Lee, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
First things first, if your wrist is 7.5"+, then you'd be down to the second to last hole on the strap. I think that's the maximum. If your wrist is 8"+, you will 100% need a different strap.

This is a beautiful watch, but I was a tiny bit let down by its appearance in real life, only because my expectation was way too high.

My main beef is the 3 chornograph dials. Unlike my other citizen chronograph watches, the chronograph dials on this watch have thin transparent, reflective plastic cover printed with white dials. Such choice of plastic transparent material makes it pretty obvious that the 3 circles are acting as solar cell, and can make the watch look a bit cheap if you catch it at the right angle.

I presume this was done to let more light in because this watch probably uses more battery than other eco drive watches. Had those dials been matte finished like other eco-drive watches, it would've been better.

There's also slight embossing around printed hour markings, which I'm not a fan of, because it doesn't appear to be a deliberate design. The embossing looks nice in Amazon product photo, but the edges don't look anywhere near as sharp in real life product.

With that said, these are only apparent upon closer inspection and overall, the watch is still very beautiful. It is also a very good value considering its feature set.

Just do yourself a favor and look up this watches movement number on youtube for set-up instruction, because the printed manual isn't helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, Poor band, January 22, 2013
My wife bought this for me as a wedding present. I had it for a month and could already see wear on the band. I treat it pretty nicely so this came as a pretty big surprise. Ive had it for three months now; the wear has not gotten a whole lot worse, but Im looking into getting another band. I have another citizen and have been extremely happy with the movement of both this and the other watch, but for the money you'd think citizen would use quality leather.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am at least 3 times more awesome with this watch on, July 22, 2014
I am at least 3 times more awesome with this watch on. Due to the excessive amount of poon i am swimming in, I'm glad it is moisture resistant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Without a doubt this is the best looking watch I've ever worn on my wrist, November 12, 2014
Jake (Boston,MA) - See all my reviews
Without a doubt this is the best looking watch I've ever worn on my wrist, and I have had many! The photos really don't do it justice, it's far better looking than what you see here in pictures. It's not over the top bling bling, it just has a refined look and sparkle to it that catches attention. The initial set up of the watch is slightly intimidating but really not at all difficult. The chrono, local time, and alarm features are nice and simple to operate. As much as I like the watch and am pleased with my purchase, I am deducting one star due to fact that the wrist band is incredibly mediocre. The quality of the band just does not match up with the quality of the timepiece. It's a shame that Citizen couldn't have included a better band on a watch as nice as this.

UPDATE 12/4/2014: After nearly a month with this watch I have decided that the stock wrist strap that came on it just had to go. I never liked either the look or feel of it so I replaced it with this: Hirsch 109002-10-22 22 -mm Genuine Calfskin Watch Strap . Now the watch is awesome. The Hirsch strap is high-end top quality and looks and wears 100% better than what it came with.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not travel friendly., April 21, 2014
This watch is very aesthetically pleasing and is comfortable. I ended up having to return it as it is very cumbersome to change the date and time. There are a lot of steps to change the time even just an hour which is not only a bit confusing but a pain if you are traveling for work and need to update the time. If I did not have to travel for work I probably would have considered keeping it but also note that the band is a bit lighter than it appears on the picture. Overall its a good product so long as you are not needing to update the time frequently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome watch, June 22, 2013
Great for dress or casual wear, this watch looks even better in real life. The brushed steel face looks almost like a white face, but the light catches it in interesting ways. The luminous numbers and hands make it easy to read in low light. The many features this watch offers are really cool. The size and weight of this watch are just right, not too big and heavy, but it's not small, or light and cheap feeling (like the titanium model) either. The dark brown band compliments the watch nicely and is very comfortable.

4.0 out of 5 stars All in all I'm happy, July 21, 2014
This watch was a fathers day gift
I originally was looking for a Seiko but couldn't find one I liked
I have had very good luck with Seiko having them last more than 30 years
This is my second Citizen watch replacing one that stopped working after 11 years

The pros:
Love the way the watch looks
Very easy to see
The lighter face is fantastic
Solar power is great, no more battery's to change
The band is very comfortable unlike a metal one
Good price for what I wanted in a watch

The cons:
Difficult to setup initially, paper instructions are useless
I used the video
Impossible to see the date, need larger numbers
Setting alarm and using chronograph to cumbersome
Alarm sound barely audible and too short

If you just need a watch for time, it's terrific
Alarm and chronograph not really worth having