Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 8, 2009
All of the good things people say about the look and feel of this watch are true, but one of the main pins fell out of the titanium bracelet of mine after less than one year of use. It wasn't even one of the adjustable pins. I was luckily wearing a sweater, so the watch got stuck in my clothes, rather than falling to the ground. Unfortunately the 5 year warranty does not extend to the bracelet, so I'm going to have to pay to have the watch band repaired/replaced myself. I don't have a quote for the repair yet, but it looks like it may be substantial, as the jeweler I bought it from (who can't repair it) said that the threads were going to need to be redrilled. I'll update this review later with more information when I get it. (UPDATE: SEE BELOW)

What bugs me most is that this watch has actually had a pretty gentle life. It hasn't been banged around or submerged in water, so I really can't excuse the bracelet's early demise. Furthermore when the selling point of the watch is that the band is titanium, you would think that the band would be included in the warranty. It's not, and now I know why.

Bottom Line: If it holds together, you'll love this watch, but based on the statistics here (as of this posting), there's about a 10% chance you'll have a problem with the band, so take that into account.

UPDATE: Fixing the watch bracelet only cost $4. Three different jewelers took a crack at it before I got it fixed, though, and they were puzzled how it ever came apart. My conclusion is that the parts were fine, but the assembly work was bad.
on August 21, 2007
I have had this watch for a few weeks now so I can not address wear and tear. To start, the picture does not do it justice. The titanium is a nice mix of brushed and polished, which does not stand out in the pic. The black face is very pretty, not a dull/flat black or a shiny black - it is hard to explain except that I am very happy with it. Also, from the picture I was concerned that the numbers 6, 9 and 12 were too large, but in person they look proper and in-scale with the rest of the face. The watch diameter is also in good ratio to my arm/wrist and I am average height and weight.
The band wear and tear seems similar to a stainless steel band. The mechanism is almost silent and the time keeping seems very accurate. I have not had any bumps to the watch face so I can't say how hard it is to scratch the crystal, but I assume this is a lower end crystal since it is "mineral" and not sapphire.
I would recommend this watch to any man. It is sexy and is a good price for a Citizen Eco-drive.
on August 30, 2006
I am a watch fan and wanted an everyday good, durable watch. I wanted something that was light weight, self-winding, and had glowing hand and hour markers. I wanted a self-winding watch because I didn't want to worry about batteries. Well, This watch had it all. Granted, it's not self-winding; however, it does have Eco-drive technology. Eco-drive is powered by solar energy, eliminating the need for batteries. Most decent self-winding watches are over $500, so for a watch that doesn't need batteries, has titanium, and is just over 200 bucks...you can't beat it. I love it.
on July 29, 2011
I would like to give this watch a 5-star rating because it is really a very good watch for the money, but unfortunately it suffers from a major design flaw.

The Achilles Heel on this watch is the placement of the crystal. I purchased this watch in June and only got to enjoy it for a month before the crystal chipped. With the problem stemming from the design and the crystal replacements (which is not covered by the warranty) costing 1/3 the cost of the watch, I'm not sure if I even want to bother having it repaired. The problem comes from the fact that the edge of the crystal is exposed and sticks up just a fraction of an inch above the surrounding case. In addition to being exposed, the crystal is not beveled at the edge and so it is able to "catch" on anything that might brush against it. If that something happens to be hard, it will chip/fracture the crystal with even the mildest of pressure.

If you only plan to wear this on special occasions or if your job does not involve putting your hands near any objects, then this timepiece is a very nice choice. It is thin and light, has simple subdued styling, has very accurate time-keeping, and has an easy-to-read dial. Aside from the issue with the crystal--which is a pretty big issue for me, unfortunately--I really do like everything else about this watch.
on January 6, 2010
As others have said, the picture doesn't do it justice! Indeed, this is a beautiful watch. I love it! Check out the pictures on the citizens website for a clearer idea of what it looks like. I have had it for about a month now and it is a well crafted, beautiful watch. Some folks complain about getting their hair caught between the links. I have not had this problem. I have really hairy arms so I was a bit hesitant to buy this watch initially. Before getting it adjusted, it did cath my hair in the links a few times and it was painful, but after getting it properly adjusted, I no longer have that problem. It still moves around a bit on my arm but the hair does not get caught between the links. So if the whole hair catching thing is holding you back, have no fear, buy it NOW!

This was my first watch as an adult (I used to wear those kiddy watches when I was little) and it is a beauty. And for the price, its a steal!

I'll add more pictures later!
review image review image review image
on October 9, 2008
I decided i needed a watch last week. I came to Amazon and found this one. Titanium, Eco-drive, And a simple uncluttered design. Its just what I wanted. I am not a diver or a pilot so all of the bells and whistles of most watches were not needed. The face is more of a dark gray than black as listed. It looks great with the titanium. Also the hands and hour markers are large and glow in the dark really well. 5 year waranty and from what I have heard from others customer service and reliability are first rate. As others have said the pictures do not do it justice. I am very happy and will proudly wear this for years I'm sure.
Also I chose to purchase through Blue Nile and can't say enough good about them. I had a problem with the gift card I used to purchase with and had to wait over the weekend to call the bank and correct the issue. While waiting they held the order for me as it was the last one in stock. Before I could call them back on Monday morning I had recieved an e-mail with a additional $20 coupon on my purchase. So waiting saved me even more money and shipping was free as well. I'll go back for sure.
on November 29, 2007
I bought this watch at Sears during a black-Friday sale, and got a good price on it, and I am very happy with the watch. The picture doesn't the watch justice. The watch has a very restrained, uncluttered, two-tone look with a nice contrast between the gray, brushed titanium and the polished titanium, and the integrated watch band gives the watch a rich appearance.

Previous reviewers have said that you can see the solar cell behind the face. I cannot. I agree with whoever it is that said that the calendar window is too small. I can read it, but I would be willing to bet that many can't. As for the fragility of the formed (hollow) links, I can not tell if they are formed or not, but they appear to hold up up well, without scratches or dents. If they make the watch even lighter than it is or otherwise would be, then I'm not complaining.

I have relatively small wrists, the jeweler had to take out three links, but I don't find the watch-face too large or 'clunky looking.' Over-all, I love the watch and I think it looks elegant and rich.
on September 25, 2008
I'm quite happy with this watch. It looks good and works well. The face glows exceptionally well in the dark with a two-layered approach (one layer charges up in the light so it is very bright when you first get into the dark and your eyes are not adjusted, and the other continues to glow after the first dies down so you can see it late at night). The watch works fine. The only downside is the lack of a day-of-the-week display and the finish on the band seems a bit scratch prone.
on January 6, 2011
THE WATCH -- Bless titanium's little heart. I have several Eco-Drive watches and they're a little on the heavy side in steel. Titanium brings them back into the range of lightweight comfort. Not in the thin-dress-watch range, but manageable. And the watch is thin enough to allow shirt cuffs to slide over. I rarely nitpick relatively inexpensive watches over this issue, but I'm delighted that my example has a second hand that hits the seconds dial right on the money. I usually can find something else about which to complain, but this is a pretty slick little unit. It arrived fully charged, displayed the correct date, and was a few seconds ahead of PST. I set it to EST and I was in business immediately.

THE BAND -- As others have noted, the band is not only light weight but seems inexpensively constructed. After I removed several links the watch fits perfectly and is very comfortable. Please keep in mind that this is a "beater" for an office environment and not a "beater" for a construction site. For my purposes it seems quite satisfactory.

A PERSPECTIVE -- If I had paid the $250 retail for this watch (and that never would have happened), I might have been disappointed with the band and perhaps even with the watch. However, if one will shop this watch he will find a 50%+ discount as I did. With its tasteful, attractive appearance, I believe that this is a wonderful value for the discounted price.

I'm looking forward to many years of service from this watch. Good luck with your purchase. --Ron

UPDATE 01-22-2011: This is undoubtedly the best combination of comfort to wear and value that I have ever purchased in an everyday-wear timepiece. --Ron
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 12, 2014
Just bought this watch over the past month, late 2014, from a retailer at the mall and paid $250, plus local sales tax. Ouch!

Anyhow, it's a great watch. All has been covered in past reviews, but I will include the following;

I have relatively small wrists for a man (I don't know why because, in general, I'm a rather tough hombre), and this watch (mostly, it comes down to the watchband) fits me well. The links are easy to remove, you just need a pin. Remove the number of links you desire, then fine-tune easily with three small holes at the clasp that allow adjustments less than one link width. For me, my issue is always that bands may not fit me: with this particular model, the fit is ideal. That is part of the reason I popped for it in the mall.

I tend to shy away from metal bands for this reason, opting for leather or rubber bands. But, when the shop owner adjusted this one for me (he has the tools and took out links in about two minutes flat, seriously, it's not hard bc I fine adjusted it at the clasp at home with the end of a paper clip), I was sold.

The face is, I would guess, the advertised 40mm. It's still plenty big (at least on my wrist) and I have nothing but compliments when seen with this watch. The face is black, and having the numbers at 12-9-6 is quite helpful, easy to read. Yep, the numbers and hands glow in the dark, making it a fantastic watch when one ducks into the theater, etc.

I have had no issues with timekeeping accuracy, although I have owned it for only a month so far.

Although other watches have more dials on the face, more like chronographs, I have no use for that; the single time adjustment button is plenty for my uses.

All in all, great stuff. Especially for a guy with a smaller wrist. I encourage those with a smaller wrist to look over the watches at the mall as it's hard to judge on Amazon; it may be the style, but most wrist watches are like cans of tuna fish these days, and most bands are ill-adjusting. This one is not. Cheers!