5.0 out of 5 stars Best value in titanium watches available now.
Looked at several titanium watches, some Seiko and Swiss army. This watch was as good as Swiss army for half the price and much better and larger face, better crystal than Seiko.

Published on August 16, 2012 by Edmund in china

2.0 out of 5 stars Date Indicator Difficult to See
I was disappointed in this watch because the day indicator was very difficult to see. Otherwise I liked the watch overall. The reason I gave it two stars is because I expect more from Citizen given the cost of the watch.
Published 1 month ago by FamilyOfFour

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value in titanium watches available now., August 16, 2012
This review is from: Citizen Men's BM7170-53L Titanium Eco-Drive Watch (Watch)

Pros: the Lume is a beautiful light blue, really nice. The face color is really blue in outdoor lighting. I wear a lot of blue and purple clothes and the metal and blue really goes with all my clothings, just spectacular color instead of black and metal.

The weight is great and I prefer that it doesn't have a Chronograph. Not that useful and clutters up the face. Sapphire crystal and big blue face with a hexagon pattern in it to give it depth, lots of compliments.

The face size is big on my wrist, but it looks good. Seiko watches were too small at 39 or 40. I will buy watches of this size in the future, nothing smaller. Big face is really easy to see at a glance.

Cons: wish the bracelet had half links. Watch is nice after removing three links. I'm 5'11", 170 and the watch is the right size. But a half link less would be a perfect fit. I'll see and maybe get rid of another and try that after another couple weeks.

Best value possible. I went to jc penny and got it for 250 out the door. Incredible value with titanium and sapphire crystal. Lume is on every hour and the hands, really pops. Hands and movement are perfect.

Highly recommend.

*********
Happy year of the snake edit: watch at 6 months.

Still a five star watch. Face is great and crystal is unscratched even though I work long hours and am moving a lot. Wear it all day, only comes off for washing dishes and showers.

Con: Scratches on the band. Nothing too bad, but I can tell in a few years it will probably not look great. Maybe could get buffed out? Dont know too much about that. Titanium does appear to scratch easier.

One comment to this review talked about half links. I checked on the bracelet clasp and its not a link that can be removed, its not the same as the other links. So, no half links. I had another link removed... 4 links off (small wrists I guess) and while it was just a smidge tight at first, I'm used to it now and wouldnt want the the link back where the watch moved all around.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Combination of Features and Price, March 11, 2013
konakahuna (knoxville, tn) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Citizen Men's BM7170-53L Titanium Eco-Drive Watch (Watch)
After decades wearing basic watches from Timex and Casio I decided I wanted something nicer....and after lots of research, I chose this model which has a very unique combination of features, even for citizen.

1) The watch is hardened titanium- Some people want a watch of this type to be heavy and substantial and don't want a watch with hollow links. As for me, I don't want a 2 pound watch on my wrist, so titanium is a good choice. I'd say it reduces overall weight by about 30-40% over traditional stainless steel. Titanium is incredibly strong, but soft...so citizen hardens it with an exterior treatment. How scuff resistant is it compared to stainless steel? only time will tell. I emailed citizen who never fully answered the question. Views from watch forums suggest it's slightly less scuff resistant than steel. If you're hard on your watches and hate scratches, you may want to reconsider. Also, because the hardening is a coating, you cannot buff scratches out of the finish. It's definitely a trade off. That being said, the lightness is a definite plus for me.

2) The watch has a sapphire crystal - Many of the more affordable citizen watches don't. they use mineral crystal instead which is more shatter-proof, but less scuff proof. I have never shattered a crystal, but I have gotten plenty of scuffs on them, so sapphire crystal is a great feature. It is the hardest, most resistant crystal a watch can have.

3) This watch has solar eco-drive - While this watch will never need regular battery replacements, it does have a battery where the watch stores the energy from the solar panel underneath the dial. Fortunately, it should last the life of the watch. According to the manual, It takes about 11 hours in daylight to completely charge the watch. After that, it can run in total darkness for up to 6 months. It can collect enough energy in 2-3 minutes of daylight to run for an entire day. It will also charge from artificial light, but more slowly. No need to worry about finding the right battery, or violating the integrity of the case by needing to open it up every couple of years. I know eco-drive owners who have had their watches 10+ years without needing them serviced. Let's hope that is my story.

Other observations: The face is a dark blue, like a navy. Some photos show it more of a royal color, some (like this one) show it closer to black. It really depends on the lighting you're under. In the dim light of my office, it looks black. Outside on a bright, cloudy day...it's more like navy. Still, it's attractive and very easy to read. My second hand aligns perfectly with the dial marks..although i've read some do not. The date windows is very small, too small for a watch of this size. Unless you have great eyes, it will be a strain to read.

The hands and hour markers are luminescent and glow with a light blue color. This glow is strong at first but quickly fades, as luminescent paint tends to do. Still, it's better lume than many watches I've had.

The band is comfortable and you will need to take it to a jeweler to be resized. Please be aware that citizen does not have half-links available...BUT...if you look on the clasp you'll see 2 sets of adjustment holes. The band can be moved in about a half link's worth...making a more customized fit possible.

I've only had the watch a couple of days but it keeps excellent time and I expect it will be well within the +/-15 seconds per month range of most quartz watches.

so what DON'T i like?

I wish the clasp on the bracelet had a secondary flip-down security lock. Some do, this one does not. The date window is needlessly small. It would be easier to see if it were larger...at least with my 40 something eyes. I do wish the watch had a screw-down crown to help keep water out. It doesn't...but then this watch really isn't a diving watch. Lastly, even though the sapphire crystal is anti-reflective, there is a fair amount of space between the dial and the crystal, so you can and do get some reflections/glare at certain angles.

I really like this watch and I'm hopeful it will serve me well for years to come. I consider this to be a very good watch for the price with a great combination of desirable features. It's dressy enough to be worn with a sportscoat, but casual enough for everyday wear. I like that it's in-between a dress watch and a diver style watch. I feel I made a good choice and will try to update this post as time passes....

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous watch!, September 24, 2012
This review is from: Citizen Men's BM7170-53L Titanium Eco-Drive Watch (Watch)
I purchased this Citizen Men's BM7170-53L Eco-Drive Titanium Watch after looking for a really nice, "automatic" watch. I reviewed hundreds of watches on Amazon, reading all of the reviews and specs of the watches that I thought worthy. I finally decided that I really only wanted a non-digital watch that had at least date and time functions with good illumination on the hours and both hands. I didn't want one cluttered up with a lot of other stuff. When I saw this one, it was beautiful and filled my wish list. It is far more attractive in real life than the pictures. When I saw that it had a sapphire crystal and was also titanium, that sealed the deal. It feels great to wear. I have very small wrists even though I am 6' tall and 180 lbs. With the extra band links removed, it fit perfectly. I am extremely pleased with this watch.
I inherited a Rolex Stainless Submariner from my father. It needed adjustment to improve the accuracy. I sent it to Rolex and they charged me $1,150 to change many things (hands, bezel, etc) or would do nothing at all. I was stuck. I thought that this was ridiculous so when I got it back, I put it on Craig's List and sold it for $3,250 cash. I paid $245 for this Citizen Men's BM7170-53L Eco-Drive Titanium Watch. For that money, I could buy 13 of the Citizens and have $50 left over. The Rolex was never as accurate as this Citizen and never felt or looked as good. The bonus is that it never needs batteries or service.
This watch is a no-brainer if it has what you want in a watch. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Deal on Amazing Watch, May 6, 2013
This review is from: Citizen Men's BM7170-53L Titanium Eco-Drive Watch (Watch)
I picked up this watch about a week ago and I am astonished at how it fit me so well, this watch has already become my daily watch. The watch fits perfect as a dress watch as well as a daily watch. I work and excercise in this watch and it has never let me down. Not a single scratch on the bezel or band. I chose this watch for appearance in mind first, and functions second. I prefer a sleek 3-hand watch over a multi-functional chronograph watch with all the 'bells and whistles.'

The Eco-Drive was a game-changer, for me, in watches. I weigh heavily towards Citizen when I think of high quality, affordable, watches. I knew my fair share about Eco-Drive, my father told me so much about his Citizen Eco-Drive and how fascinated he was by how it was self-sustaining and how it was still so practicle and affordable. I am beyond satisfied when it comes to the battery on this watch.

The titanium on the band has proved to be the best material I have ever had on a watch. It is scratch resistant, light, and looks appealing on this watch. I have not had any issues with it and I was even initially astonished at how light it was at the jewlers. I fell in love with this watch, half of the time I won't even realize I am wearing a watch unless I look it because of it being so light weight.

The Sapphire Crystal bezel is crystal clear and hasn't had any scratches so far. My father has had a Citizen Eco-Drive watch with a Sapphire Crystal bezel for 4 years with only 1 scratch on it currently, my father works in a busy work environment. Not to mention that he has worn it day in and out throughout those 4 years. So far this watch has done nothing but impress me.

The blue dial looks great. It is a bit darker than I expected, more of a navy blue than a regular blue. I prefer it being darker and more neutral, as I hope this watch to match with whatever I am wearing. The hex design in the center of the dial looks exceptional, I can not express how many times I have found my self appreciating these little details on this watch.

The 3 hands serve their purpose well. The glow in the dark feature on the hands are exactly what you expect. Though the hands glow brighter than any watch I have ever owned in the past. One thing I noticed on the hands that brought more attention to them was the fact that the minute and hour hand have both a glossy and matte finish on them, a matte on one side and glossy on the other half. The two finishes are split down what appears to be the middle of the hand.

The clasp mechanism is very heavy duty, which is also exactly what I needed. I was looking for a watch that is somewhat dressy but can also handle a normal to fair amount of ware and tear. The clasp has never opened on accident on me, unlike some of my previous watches, this feature was, oddly enough, a deciding factor for me.

The overall watch gets 4.7 stars from me, but I will rate it as 5 stars. One Con of this watch is that the band is not finger print resistant, despite the matte-like titanium metal on it. I also want to mention how much of a bargain this watch is, I paid $280 (USD) at my local jewler, Strickland's Jewelers, I found out later that I could have saved $50 on Amazon. I was a bit annoyed that I had forgotten to look up the prices online but I was still satisfied with my purchase. This watch is worth $300, at most, to me. All of the features on the watch tie together exquisitely, and as an added bonus my favorite color is blue. I would recommend this watch to anyone looking for a sleek, elegant, and sturdy every-day watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch!, May 30, 2012
Solo "Lewis" (Shreveport, LA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Citizen Men's BM7170-53L Titanium Eco-Drive Watch (Watch)
Ive had Fossil watches, Seiko, various others, this by far is the best, it's very light due to the Titanium, it's strong, and looks great, self powered...couldnt find a better watch and I would have spent up to $1500 on one, but I just couldnt find one with all these features and that looks this nice, glad I went with this :P

5.0 out of 5 stars Understated Elegance, May 30, 2013
Tom the wise (Schroeder, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Citizen Men's BM7170-53L Titanium Eco-Drive Watch (Watch)
This is really an elegant looking watch,without being gaudy . I have owned Rolex ,Tissot and other fine watches that sold for hundreds of $ more than this Citizen ,and they had all the bells and whistles. But ultimately what I was looking for in a watch at this stage of my life was reliable time and a classy looking time piece on my wrist. This meets and exceeds my expectations . I have owned a Citizen Eco-Drive so I know from that experience that this will be a set and forget watch in terms of maintenance . I do wish that citizen would include instructions on removing links from the band however. I got the job done ,but not without making a mess of it and having to spend time on line getting the necessary information. They could make it a lot easier with some simple instructions.But bottom line is that for the price ,and given that it is a Citizen Eco-Drive ,you cannot go wrong with this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch and quality materials, August 19, 2012
This review is from: Citizen Men's BM7170-53L Titanium Eco-Drive Watch (Watch)
I have owned this watch for three weeks now and the time has remained dead on in that time frame.

The watch and band has caused absolutely no irritation so far and feels like I'm not even wearing it.

The way the band was fabricated, polished, brushed helps prevent scratches which is one of the only down sides of titanium.

For the price, the features included with this watch make it a deal. Having a titanium band, sapphire dial window, and solar power capability make this watch a definite deal and buy for the price.

The fact that this watch is currently offered and easy to find on manufacturers website with full details along with other references was a major plus in my decision to buy this from Amazon.

I would not use this watch if you're planning on doing any rugged activities where you would ding this watch up real bad, it looks too good to with the mirror and polished finishes to put it through that. It is intended to be a casual watch.

Would I recommend this to a friend? Absolutely. 5/5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY, A WATCH I CAN TRUST !, August 29, 2013
This review is from: Citizen Men's BM7170-53L Titanium Eco-Drive Watch (Watch)
I wear my 'every-day' watch 24/7, showering, swimming, etc. I only change watches for dress-up or for really heavy DIY stuff. The problem is, no matter how water-resistant a watch starts out as, as soon as the case is opened to change batteries, it is no longer trustworthy. Unless, of course, you pay big bucks to have a factory service center change the battery. Because of this, I decided to get an Automatic, Mechanical watch, with no batteries to change. Over tthe past 2-3 years I have bought and returned watches by Invicta, Orient and Bulova. They mostly did not keep time and required months to be repaired; the Bulova claimed '99' WR' but was "not to be worn swimming.

This Citizen watch is not automatic but is Solar Powered; no batteries needed. It is not outrageously oversized and, since it is Titanium cased and banded, is not too heavy to wear. Plus, it looks good and is easy to read at a glance, unlike many "complicated" watches with multiple dials.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch for the money, light as a feather!, May 17, 2012
This review is from: Citizen Men's BM7170-53L Titanium Eco-Drive Watch (Watch)
I actually purchased my watch in a major department store and got 30% off, great bargain. I always enjoyed Casio watches, and I also have Seiko dress watch.
Since buying this watch is truned into my everyday watch, the looks can't be beat and the titanium is light as a feather when compared top other watches, both mine and others I looked at purchasing, after feeling the weight of this one, no brainer, it was a keeper.
The looks of this watch are very nice, a dress watch as well as an everyday watch.

I would but this watch again without any hesitation!

I knew nothing of Citizen watches, but to learn of this eco drive, well that was an extra added benefit!

5.0 out of 5 stars And titanium doesn't corrode!, June 28, 2013
This review is from: Citizen Men's BM7170-53L Titanium Eco-Drive Watch (Watch)
All of the comments, both positive and negative, in the reviews strike me as correct, but I didn't find any mention of what is for me the single most important feature of this watch: Unlike watches made of steel or other metals, or with leather or steel bands, nothing on this watch ever corrodes. All of my previous watches had cases or bands that deteriorated in contact with my skin and produced acid that made my skin break out and burned the ends of my shirt cuffs. (I even resorted to cutting the sleeves off of my dress shirts after the left cuff had become noticeably frayed!) I have to assume that most people don't have this problem, but for those of us who do only plastic or titanium will solve it.

Citizen Men's BM7170-53L Titanium Eco-Drive Watch