Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now HTL

on July 23, 2007
This is an excellent watch. It is thinner than I had thought it might be, given it is solar powered. I would have preferred a smooth finish black band instead of the cheaper pieced look, but overall it I really enjoy it. The only other thing I would have liked was if the hands illuminated in the dark.
on October 18, 2007
I've had this watch for a little over a year now, and it's still working...hasn't missed a beat! It's so light, I don't even know it's there, yet, I feel naked without it. I've worn it almost every day for about 18 hours each day. It's been banged like hell, but cosmetically, it still looks great! There's maybe two scratches on the glass, but that's my fault, not the watch's. I can't believe how many compliments I've gotten about how it's "me" in a watch form--it's simple but very very classy. I can't praise it enough!
on April 6, 2010
I purchased this watch from Amazon seller Timex. They were prompt and really did a great job on packaging. The watch is rather light, and I can see myself replacing the band soon. If you have a medium or large wrist expect to have to get another band. When you get your watch read the instructions! I know the is not something guys normally do, but in this case it is essential. What I did was read them on the Citizen web page while waiting for my order to arrive. Make sure you charge the watch outside in the sun is best or under a lamp (not too close!) for a few hours with the crown fully out. Once that's done setting the time is a matter of following the product instructions (the thick booklet!). You don't have to grip the crown to turn it, just run for finger lightly either counterclockwise to set the date or clockwise for day. Note that the crown has a 0-1-2 position. I love this watch and will probably get the brown/Gold one as well.
on August 20, 2008
This Citizen Eco-Drive watch provides everything that you could need in timepiece. The display is attractive and easy to read, with the date and day of the week clearly displayed in characters large enough to read with just a glance. Also, several people (including myself) have commented on the use of "12-8-4" as the only printed numerals on the face, something rather unique that really adds to the overall presentation. The total package is also quite light, thanks the combination of thin timepiece with a leather band. This watch is certainly more comfortable than any watch with a metal band that I've owned. Lastly, the solar-charging battery in this unit means that it should run for a very long time without needing a new battery.
on August 3, 2007
Love this watch for the price. Needed something to take to the bar or parties that wouldnt matter too much if lost or stolen. But then I got this watch and I like it so much that i would be pissed if I actually did lose it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2008
I love the watch so much that I also bought the gold/brown model. Time is perfect and the weight is nice and light. The leather strap is making my wrist break out. After wearing the watch for a week I have a red ring around my wrist. After researching issues I found that some leathers are tanned with chrominum instead of animal fats. I contacted Citizen Customer Service and was directed to main headquaters in Japan. I never received a reply.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2015
I purchased this watch in June of 2014. It is February 2015 that I am writing the review. In 8 months the watch itself has been flawless but the band is falling apart. I like the fact that the watch is maintenance free. I just expected longer life out of the band.

I contacted both the online USA citizen watch customer service as well as called the phone number for the California based service center. Both informed me that the normal wear of a band is not covered under warranty. I could send the watch in and have them evaluate it but likely it would not be covered. I sent them the attached pictures in the online submission and they directed me to parts to order a new band. I would have thought a band would last at least a year without cracking apart and irritating my wrist. The cracks stated at 6 months and are progressively getting worse each day. I like my watch but I think I am going to try another brand for the band and not replace it with one from their parts department.
review image
on July 12, 2012
I bought this watch 6 years ago (and again later as a gift). Now after these many years, I can say with some confidence that if you're looking for what I was looking for, this is as good as it gets for the money.

1. Eco-drive. (Of course.) So far, no hiccup whatsoever. I do wear it everyday so the battery never got a chance to discharge. I hate to drive to the mall and wait for half an hour just to get your battery swapped. And the new battery (which often cost a bundle) inevitably lasts much shorter than the original battery. That's why I stopped using my previous watch (which is a pretty good Victorinox).

2. Dual calendar. To me it's a must. I look at my watch to find the date to sign/date (and I do that quite often). During summer time when I'm not teaching, I can lose track of what day it is, so that's must for me too.

3. Reasonably clean face. How difficult it is to get a really simple, classic design: large numerals, black on white or white on black? It turns out: quick difficult. The numerals are too narrow for my liking. I'd go with the Timex watches if they had life-long batteries. On the balance, the design is good enough.

4. Price. For less than $100, it's got a very good value-to-price ratio. (I didn't find anything better 6 years ago, which is why I bought this one.)

CONS: (quite minor)
1. (This isn't their fault as much as mine.) Leather strap. I liked the classy look. The black leather definitely got that. But unfortunately, genuine leather doesn't like water (being a guy, that wasn't something I know as women seem to very early on). So what good is a water-resistant watch with water-phobic straps. After some contact with water and just sweating in ball games, the back side of the leather is in ugly shape. I suppose I can change the strap, but the point is you still have to worry about it if the new strap is still leather.

2. No glowing-in-the-dark hands. No matter how shiny the hands look like, you can't tell time in the dark. The thing that bugs me is how difficult is that.

3. You need to be careful pulling out the crown for date adjustment (which happens a few times a year, itself a nuisance). If you pull too hard, it'll get into the outer gear and you might accidentally change the time a little bit. (It happens to most watches that have dual calendar without perpetual calendar.) And I want my watch to be accurate -- it's not a piece of jewelry to me.

1. Cover is not scratch resistant, but doesn't appear to scratch super easily.

It's been a good watch, especially considering the price. Since I'm in engineering, getting even minor issues addressed carries psychological satisfaction. So I'm getting a new watch that has atomic synchronization, perpetual calendar, eco-drive, and it's going to have stainless steel straps so in theory I don't need to worry about anything again. But that watch is setting me back $380.
on January 28, 2009
I was looking for a quality watch without spending a lot of money. I found this very attractive Citizen Eco-Drive Men's black leather watch #BM8240-03E
The workmanship is excellent, the fact that you need no batteries is a
plus and it keeps perfect time. I would recommend this watch to anyone.
on January 3, 2009
I didn't know about the eco-drive feature when I bought a Citizen watch about a year ago, but since that one broke, I was intrigued before I bought this one. I did not take the time to put it in direct sunset to charge it up, but evidently, it did not need that. The watch keeps perfect time, and the setting of the day of the week and the date are easier than my previous watch. For the price, this watch is superb.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse