5.0 out of 5 stars Watch me now...
I'm a little embarrassed that I'm singing about a watch, for crying out loud. Maybe it's because we all are just craving a little honesty this election year. Anyway, as an old(er) coot, I needed a watch for business (my waning days) and pleasure (hopefully) and being a curmudgeon. This watch is perfect.

The circumference and thickness kind of make you...
Published on September 10, 2008 by David Block

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch -- toxic leather strap!!!
This is a beautiful basic watch with all of the features I wanted including solar power, day, and date. The size is perfect for my smallish wrist. It's comfortable to wear. Unfortunately, the leather strap it comes with is causing bad skin irritation. I read about another reviewer's (who reviewed the black and silver version of this watch) comment on the same problem...
Published on March 8, 2010 by Jee Chung

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch me now..., September 10, 2008
This review is from: Citizen Men's BM8242-08E "Eco-Drive" Gold-Tone Stainless Steel and Leather Strap Watch (Watch)

The circumference and thickness kind of make you remember older days in watches. The numbers are easy to see against the background (large 4, 8, and 12), and the gold double bars to indicate the other hours are sized perfectly compared to the actual numbers. You can see the watch without reading glasses - at least, I can this year - and I can even make out the day and date without glasses. Whoever designed the face probably has been studying those Golden Ratios, or whatever: there is a pleasing relationship between the circumferences on the face (outer and inner) and the diameters of the outer ring (hours section) and inner circle (most of the day-date, the Citizen logo, and the main whatchamacallit that the hands attach to). The color of the gold is not bright yellow; it kind of grades to the ochre red-gold - certainly a watch for the Beowulf wannabe's out there (like me). The band is, or was, an alligator-steer genetic fluke, I suppose; reasonably soft. And the color of the band picks up the reddish quality of the metal. It is a very light-weight watch.

Plus, it runs on light, man! Light! (Must have said that during the 60's sometime....) Pretty cool to think that nobody REALLY knows what's powering this thing. Never needs a battery - gedoutaheah! Really! If you buy this watch (your own), they could bury you on Mt Everest with your arm sticking up, perhaps with a baggie around it - I don't know why, and in a thousand generations, your heirs can come by, take the watch, leave the baggie, and use it until the universe...well, whatever it will do.

Do some Amazon reviewers have too much time on their hands? (Clever, no?)

Buy this watch. I prefer the gold/brown: more mythic. You'll like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine watch., October 23, 2008
I bought 4 of these for groomsman's gifts for my wedding. Three out of four will barely take it off. The other will only wear it sparingly because he is afraid to scratch it. The age ranges are from 16 to 33. Maybe this helps if you are considering this as a gift. One thing to consider for bigger guys, go ahead and buy a longer strap the same time you buy the watch. I bought my 4 from a brick and mortar jewelry store so I can't speak about Amazon's service in this instance. One thing to note about eco-drives, if you leave them in the dark for extended periods of time (say in a safe deposit box whilst on a year long deployment) it may take up to a week for the capacitor to charge sufficiently.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sun's Time Has Come, February 26, 2008
When husband needed a watch and his birthday was approaching, I laid my eyes on this one after some research. I love the idea of never needing a battery for a watch. Husband told me that he loves this watch several times since.

For one, it keeps perfect time. He travels all over different time zones and it operates easily. He does have to change the time manually though. For two, no worries about batteries getting weak EVER. It is powered by light, outdoor and indoor as long as there is adequate light. It saves us money for not needing to buy battery for this ever. And it is environmentally friendly since discarded batteries contain toxic chemicals.

One easy recommendation though: Leave it face up when not wearing it to prevent discharge. Hubby only got it discharged once during the first week and it has never happened since we ordered this from Amazon 8 months ago. This could present a minor challenge to some neat freaks who have to put all clutter (keys, watches, wallets, cellphones...) in a drawer or dresser chest. This watch doesn't like total darkness. It can only move in light, even if just a bit of twilight.

The day&date setting process could be confusing so you have to follow the instruction closely and do it at the right time of the day. It doesn't glow in the dark - a feature I wish it had.

Couldn't be more pleased with the purchase. My next watch will also be an eco-drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best watch I have ever owned, August 28, 2008
J. R. Cocklin (York Springs, PA) - See all my reviews
I have owned many watches in my 73 years but this is one of the best. No winding and no batteries to replace. I am a very satisfied customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll be happy with this stylish watch, November 20, 2008
After the watch I'd worn for years finally died I purchased a multi-function Seiko watch. Although it had a lot of features (world time, digital and analog displays, chronograph . . .), it weighed a ton and felt like I was carrying a brick around my wrist. Although it probably helped develop and tone the muscles in my watch arm, I decided to look for a replacement. So, I browsed the Citizen watch website for an Eco-Drive "Dress Strap" watch and was drawn to this gold-toned watch for its stylish design. After reading the positive reviews on Amazon, I purchased the watch and have been extremely pleased with my decision.

The watch had a sufficient charge to run right out of the box, and I immediately strapped it on my wrist. The first thing I noticed was how light it was and how comfortable it felt. Just as the watch had caught my attention, my wife commented how nice it looked when I showed it to her. Although I purchased it as a dress watch, I am just as happy wearing it with jeans and a t-shirt.

Although some reviewers commented that the day/date was a bit hard to set, as with any 12-hour dial you have to determine whether the time displayed in morning or afternoon before setting the day/date. So, before setting the day/date, run the hands around the dial until the day/date changes to ensure that the displayed time is the morning. Set the correct time (passing 12 o'clock again if it is afternoon), then set the correct day/date and you're done until the next change in daylight savings.

The only feature I wish the watch had is a luminescent dial, otherwise, it is a great watch which you will surely enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got it today, so far it's great., January 30, 2005
John Stebbe (Indianapolis, Indiana) - See all my reviews
I bought one today from JC Penney, and it looks and feels great. If I had my druthers, I would have preferred a watch that looked like this, but also had the "Atomic Watch" feature which automatically sets the time via a radio signal from some observatory somewhere. But all the ones I saw looked very big and clunky, and none had a leather strap.

But having said that, this seems to be a very nice watch. I have not bought a new one in 15 years, when my wife gave my my last one as a gift (a Seiko quartz watch, which looked very similar to this one). And I don't plan to buy another one until this one gives out -- who knows, I'm 45, it may out-last me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, May 11, 2012
I have owned this watch for exactly a month now and I love it for it's simple beauty and elegance. The recessed part of the dial only adds to the beauty. At 5'10" and 150 lbs, it is as big a watch as I would wear on my 6.5" wrist. I wish the band were shorter as I have to use the very last hole to keep the watch from moving around on my wrist. The combination of the gold case, black dial, gold markers , and reddish brown band is simply stunning. I do not like watches that have all those extra hands and sub-dials and bezels. If you want all those other features, go with a digital watch where you can choose the function to be displayed.

Something people should be aware of though is how the calendar functions actually work. While the date will change at midnight or slightly before, the day of the week will not. It is a bi-lingual watch and at about 1:15 AM, the day will start to change. At 2 AM it will click to the Spanish word for the day that has just ended. Then at about 3:15AM, it will start to change again and by 4:00 it will finally be on the correct day in English. This is why they tell you not to change the calendar settings between 9 PM and 4 AM or you can mess things up.

Summing up, as I said in my title, great watch for a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Citizen Eco Drive watch is great, February 25, 2013
The watch keeps perfect itme and without needing a battery. The crystal and case wear well. The band should not be worn while playing sports or get exposed to water or it will wear quickly. The band should last 1-1.5 years. New bands can be bought at flea markets for $10 (jewelry stores charge up to $35.) The watch is fairly thin and the band breaks in pretty quickly. I like the black face and brown band combo. The day and date are a little small to read be can be seen well enough. The second hand is so thin that it is sometimes hard to see but it is not used that much anyway. The knob gets pulled out two stops to change time and only one stop to change both the day and date. Turn knob in up (clockwise) up to change day and down (ccw) to change date. See instructions to make sure that day and date do not change at noon instead of midnight. This watch is a great buy. I had this same watch for about two years when I dropped it at the gym onto concrete and broke the crystal and the mechanism. I bought a new one the same day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable - Expect Compliments, May 14, 2007
The month/day is a little difficult to nail down, as I would be halfway through a Wednesday and it would tell be it's Tuesday - but once you get used to it and the band loosens up a little from use, you're enjoyment will increase.

For the money, it's comfortable, recharges itself, and fits nicely with many different color combinations worn during the course of a normal business day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous watch!, December 3, 2009
GG "GG" (Corvallis, OR) - See all my reviews
This is a gorgeous watch that will stand out when you wear it! It is very accurate and has not lost more than a minute or so in over 3 months. The black dial with gold numbering looks stunning! The fact that it is powered by light is also a bonus, which means you don't have to worry about the battery. The only minor issue is that the strap is a bit stiff. It's something that I got used to, but one could always change the strap. It does not detract from the overall value of the watch. Citizen is also known for its reliability. Overall, a beautiful watch!