Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Citizen Men's BM8242-08E Eco-Drive Gold-Tone Stainless Steel Watch with Brown Leather Band
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 10, 2008
I'm a little embarrassed that I'm singing about a watch, for crying out loud. Maybe it's because we all are just craving a little honesty this election year. Anyway, as an old(er) coot, I needed a watch for business (my waning days) and pleasure (hopefully) and being a curmudgeon. This watch is perfect.

The circumference and thickness kind of make you remember older days in watches. The numbers are easy to see against the background (large 4, 8, and 12), and the gold double bars to indicate the other hours are sized perfectly compared to the actual numbers. You can see the watch without reading glasses - at least, I can this year - and I can even make out the day and date without glasses. Whoever designed the face probably has been studying those Golden Ratios, or whatever: there is a pleasing relationship between the circumferences on the face (outer and inner) and the diameters of the outer ring (hours section) and inner circle (most of the day-date, the Citizen logo, and the main whatchamacallit that the hands attach to). The color of the gold is not bright yellow; it kind of grades to the ochre red-gold - certainly a watch for the Beowulf wannabe's out there (like me). The band is, or was, an alligator-steer genetic fluke, I suppose; reasonably soft. And the color of the band picks up the reddish quality of the metal. It is a very light-weight watch.

Plus, it runs on light, man! Light! (Must have said that during the 60's sometime....) Pretty cool to think that nobody REALLY knows what's powering this thing. Never needs a battery - gedoutaheah! Really! If you buy this watch (your own), they could bury you on Mt Everest with your arm sticking up, perhaps with a baggie around it - I don't know why, and in a thousand generations, your heirs can come by, take the watch, leave the baggie, and use it until the universe...well, whatever it will do.

Do some Amazon reviewers have too much time on their hands? (Clever, no?)

Buy this watch. I prefer the gold/brown: more mythic. You'll like it.
2727 comments| 236 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2008
I bought 4 of these for groomsman's gifts for my wedding. Three out of four will barely take it off. The other will only wear it sparingly because he is afraid to scratch it. The age ranges are from 16 to 33. Maybe this helps if you are considering this as a gift. One thing to consider for bigger guys, go ahead and buy a longer strap the same time you buy the watch. I bought my 4 from a brick and mortar jewelry store so I can't speak about Amazon's service in this instance. One thing to note about eco-drives, if you leave them in the dark for extended periods of time (say in a safe deposit box whilst on a year long deployment) it may take up to a week for the capacitor to charge sufficiently.
on August 28, 2008
I have owned many watches in my 73 years but this is one of the best. No winding and no batteries to replace. I am a very satisfied customer.
on February 26, 2008
When husband needed a watch and his birthday was approaching, I laid my eyes on this one after some research. I love the idea of never needing a battery for a watch. Husband told me that he loves this watch several times since.

For one, it keeps perfect time. He travels all over different time zones and it operates easily. He does have to change the time manually though. For two, no worries about batteries getting weak EVER. It is powered by light, outdoor and indoor as long as there is adequate light. It saves us money for not needing to buy battery for this ever. And it is environmentally friendly since discarded batteries contain toxic chemicals.

One easy recommendation though: Leave it face up when not wearing it to prevent discharge. Hubby only got it discharged once during the first week and it has never happened since we ordered this from Amazon 8 months ago. This could present a minor challenge to some neat freaks who have to put all clutter (keys, watches, wallets, cellphones...) in a drawer or dresser chest. This watch doesn't like total darkness. It can only move in light, even if just a bit of twilight.

The day&date setting process could be confusing so you have to follow the instruction closely and do it at the right time of the day. It doesn't glow in the dark - a feature I wish it had.

Couldn't be more pleased with the purchase. My next watch will also be an eco-drive.
44 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2008
After the watch I'd worn for years finally died I purchased a multi-function Seiko watch. Although it had a lot of features (world time, digital and analog displays, chronograph . . .), it weighed a ton and felt like I was carrying a brick around my wrist. Although it probably helped develop and tone the muscles in my watch arm, I decided to look for a replacement. So, I browsed the Citizen watch website for an Eco-Drive "Dress Strap" watch and was drawn to this gold-toned watch for its stylish design. After reading the positive reviews on Amazon, I purchased the watch and have been extremely pleased with my decision.

The watch had a sufficient charge to run right out of the box, and I immediately strapped it on my wrist. The first thing I noticed was how light it was and how comfortable it felt. Just as the watch had caught my attention, my wife commented how nice it looked when I showed it to her. Although I purchased it as a dress watch, I am just as happy wearing it with jeans and a t-shirt.

Although some reviewers commented that the day/date was a bit hard to set, as with any 12-hour dial you have to determine whether the time displayed in morning or afternoon before setting the day/date. So, before setting the day/date, run the hands around the dial until the day/date changes to ensure that the displayed time is the morning. Set the correct time (passing 12 o'clock again if it is afternoon), then set the correct day/date and you're done until the next change in daylight savings.

The only feature I wish the watch had is a luminescent dial, otherwise, it is a great watch which you will surely enjoy.
on January 30, 2005
I bought one today from JC Penney, and it looks and feels great. If I had my druthers, I would have preferred a watch that looked like this, but also had the "Atomic Watch" feature which automatically sets the time via a radio signal from some observatory somewhere. But all the ones I saw looked very big and clunky, and none had a leather strap.

But having said that, this seems to be a very nice watch. I have not bought a new one in 15 years, when my wife gave my my last one as a gift (a Seiko quartz watch, which looked very similar to this one). And I don't plan to buy another one until this one gives out -- who knows, I'm 45, it may out-last me!
on July 7, 2013
I really like this watch, it is extremely good looking, much nicer than it appears in the photo and the band is also handsome. I was looking for a watch with a larger dial and while this one isn't as large as I originally wanted it has all the benefits I was after, it is easy to read, keeps time accurately, and looks good on my wrist while not being ostentatious. The dial is black with gold numerals and lines, the hands are gold as is the outer rim. The day and date are in a small rectangular window and can be a bit fussy to set but remember that the stem pulls out to two positions, the first allows you to set the date and day, twist it one way and you set the date, the other you set the day, pull it out one click further and you set the time. Easy peasy,

A nice thing about this watch is that it doesn't require a battery, it's solar. So if you allow it to run down just wear it on a sunny day and it will recharge quickly. It takes longer on cloudy days or if you are indoors, but put it under a light for a few hours and it will be just fine. No more visits to get the battery replaced.

The band is much nicer than what you see in the photo as well. It is brown and alligator textured. Apparently some people have problems with allergies to the chromium with which the leather is tanned but it hasn't caused me any issues.

Cons?
The manual that comes with the watch is a generic one and you have to go to the Citizens web site to download the one for this watch. To do this you have to figure out the movement number which is embossed on the back of the watch.

That's it. I really am glad that I purchased this watch, it is a nice every day and even special occasion watch.

I've had this watch for a year and a half now and I like it more every day. No winding, no batteries, it just works and looks good. One minor quibble is that I wish it could set itself so that I didn't have to change the date when a 30 day month came to an end and the 1st of the next month says 31. That's it. good watch.
on February 25, 2013
The watch keeps perfect itme and without needing a battery. The crystal and case wear well. The band should not be worn while playing sports or get exposed to water or it will wear quickly. The band should last 1-1.5 years. New bands can be bought at flea markets for $10 (jewelry stores charge up to $35.) The watch is fairly thin and the band breaks in pretty quickly. I like the black face and brown band combo. The day and date are a little small to read be can be seen well enough. The second hand is so thin that it is sometimes hard to see but it is not used that much anyway. The knob gets pulled out two stops to change time and only one stop to change both the day and date. Turn knob in up (clockwise) up to change day and down (ccw) to change date. See instructions to make sure that day and date do not change at noon instead of midnight. This watch is a great buy. I had this same watch for about two years when I dropped it at the gym onto concrete and broke the crystal and the mechanism. I bought a new one the same day.
on June 18, 2014
I purchased this for my Dad for Fathers Day as it really is a beautiful watch. I'm just very upset that Amazon has it listed as water resistant up to 10m (30ft). The watch arrived today and it's only listed as splash resistant. Straight from Citizens website (this watch falls in the first category):

Q: What does “WR” mean when there is no depth designation after the WR?
A:

It means that the watch is designed to withstand accidental splashing only, such as from washing your hands or rain. Any submersion into water may result in the entrance of moisture. Be sure to immediately dry the watch after exposure to moisture.
Q: What does “Water resistant to 10 Bar (ATM)” mean?
A:

This watch is designed to withstand accidental splashing, exposure to rain, showering, swimming in a pool, etc. Rinse the watch with fresh water after exposure to a chlorinated pool, salt water, soaps, etc.
Q: What does “Water resistant to 20 Bar (ATM)” mean?
A:

This watch is designed to withstand accidental splashing, exposure to rain, showering, swimming in a pool, and recreational SCUBA diving. Rinse the watch with fresh water after exposure to a chlorinated pool, salt water, soaps, etc.

I've owned a different model Citizen watch for years and absolutely love it. I'm just upset in the fact that my dad sometimes forgets to take off his watch in the shower and come to find out it's not even rated for that. Amazon should really take that 30ft water resistance off of the feature list.
on May 11, 2012
I have owned this watch for exactly a month now and I love it for it's simple beauty and elegance. The recessed part of the dial only adds to the beauty. At 5'10" and 150 lbs, it is as big a watch as I would wear on my 6.5" wrist. I wish the band were shorter as I have to use the very last hole to keep the watch from moving around on my wrist. The combination of the gold case, black dial, gold markers , and reddish brown band is simply stunning. I do not like watches that have all those extra hands and sub-dials and bezels. If you want all those other features, go with a digital watch where you can choose the function to be displayed.

Something people should be aware of though is how the calendar functions actually work. While the date will change at midnight or slightly before, the day of the week will not. It is a bi-lingual watch and at about 1:15 AM, the day will start to change. At 2 AM it will click to the Spanish word for the day that has just ended. Then at about 3:15AM, it will start to change again and by 4:00 it will finally be on the correct day in English. This is why they tell you not to change the calendar settings between 9 PM and 4 AM or you can mess things up.

Summing up, as I said in my title, great watch for a great price.