5.0 out of 5 stars Originally a 4-star watch...
Published on December 12, 2011 by A. Chowdhury

3.0 out of 5 stars very nice
Published on December 16, 2011 by William R. Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars Originally a 4-star watch..., December 12, 2011
This review is from: Citizen Men's BM8475-00F Black Canvas Strap Eco-Drive Watch (Watch)
I picked this up on impulse during Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals week. I'd had my eye on this and the standard non-blacked-out version for a while. I wasn't expecting much, but i have to admit, i'm pleasantly surprised. Fit and finish is pretty good. Nice matte black non-reflective finish all the way around the case, but i'm terrified i'm going to put a nasty silver scratch in it someday. Day/date wheel is black background w/ white font (red for Sunday) so it blends in nicely, but is still readable. The time is also surprisingly legible. I had a blacked-out watch once before and it was basically a useless fashion accessory. This actually has a small amount of weak lume on the hands and hour indices. I've never actually seen it glow under natural conditions, only when held under a very bright flashlight. The lume does make the hands and indices slightly reflective though, so it's usually still legible with a very small amount of light at the right angle.

The only thing i didn't like about this watch was the strap. The canvas is fine, good quality, and is lined on the inside with like a soft-touch leather or suede or something for added comfort. But i hated the brushed stainless buckle and rings around the holes. This is supposed to be a STEALTH watch. So, i ended up getting a Maratac Zulu 4-ring strap w/ black non-reflective hardware. The finish matches the watch case PERFECTLY, and now i'm totally in love with.

3.0 out of 5 stars very nice, December 16, 2011
William R. Collins (Ithaca, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Because of the solar feature, I have been looking for a Citizen Eco-drive for a while. I also wanted a black, PVD coated watch. When I saw both features together I was very pleased. The last Citizen I saw and liked (BM8475-00E) sold out in a couple of months last year. This one they are calling the 'stealth' is very good looking and much bolder. Yes, the lack of contrast between the black dial and hands make it a little harder to read in low light situations. The canvas strap is comfortable, but could really use black hardware to match the watch - the eyelets and buckle are uncoated steel and look a little odd and out-of-place. I will probably eventually replace the default strap for black leather or black PVD steel. The lume on the hands is not the usual Citizen blue, but rather black until charged and then it glows a faint green. After getting accustomed to the strong, bright lume of my Seikos, I was disappointed with the weak lume of this Citizen. It seems well built. There seems to have been a lack of attention to some aesthetic detail. I hope it doesn't scratch easily and that the mechanism lasts. It is a very comfortable and good looking watch.

3.0 out of 5 stars nice looking watch, December 21, 2011
Neo (California, USA) - See all my reviews
Good looking watch but its a little hard to read indoors. Eco drive feature is nice so you never have to replace the batteries. Would have been nice if the strap was blacked out as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars great watch but...., July 24, 2012
I love how this watch looks and feels. I get a lot of looks and comments on how nice the watch looks. When I was looking for a watch I wanted something with a canvas, rubber, or leather strap. I have never liked bracelet style bands.

When I saw this watch I was instantly drawn to it. The brand, the looks, and the price made me want it. I have had this watch for about a month and have no problems being able to read it during the day. At night that's a different issue all together. This is were I feel that the watch falls short. The hands do not glow enough to tell time in low light situations if you have been inside all day. If I work outside and come into a dark room it has just enough glow to get close to the correct time. If you have not been exposed to a bright light forget about being able to tell what time it is.

What I end up doing before bed or going out at night is I take a bright light like a spotlight or flashlight and shine it on the watch for about 15 secs or so. That charges the hands and then I'm able to see it in low light conditions.

I like the watch and wear it every day and would buy it again but I really would like to see citizen come out with another watch like this just with better low light capabilities.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost great., May 27, 2012
Jason (Lexington, SC) - See all my reviews
Yes it has a dark dial and hands and with lower light levels I cant see the numbers but I can still see the hands, so if you can tell time without numbers you are fine. The only thing that kept me from giving it 5 stars is the illumination on the hands isn't that good.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent fashion watch to be worn in the daytime., November 25, 2012
Marc (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
When you buy this watch, immediately remove the canvas band and replace it with at least something leather. But maybe some of you will like the strap it comes with even though it doesn't seem to match the rest of the watch.

I've owned a couple Eco-Drives and have had good experiences with their precision, functionality, and longevity. This one is no different. However, the watch can only be read during daylight hours or indoors. Unless you have the visual acuity of an owl while under a full moon, you will probably be frustrated with this watch at night. On top of that, the "glow in the dark" pieces are remarkably dim, and retains a glow for less than five minutes.

This is a good fashion watch. It looks nice wherever you are with whatever you're wearing (provided you've ditched the canvas band). The timing and mechanics are spot on, but CAVEAT EMPTOR: you are better off checking the time on your cell phone rather than trying to read this watch in the dark.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's super Black!, July 26, 2013
If you are looking for a beautiful blacked out watch this is it. It's awesome. Nothing more to say. Anyone leaving feedback because it's too black... well that's kind of the point. If you want a totally black stylish, comfortable watch that will get you loads of compliments this is it. Arrived super fast, as described, and I couldn't be happier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stealth Bomber Watch, March 16, 2012
I get lots of compliments on this watch. The black-on-black styling and coloring is eye-catching. The large (but not too large) size stands out. It goes with everything I wear, from jeans to suits. The only drawback: it's difficult to read in the dark.

1.0 out of 5 stars Its a Black Bracelet, June 11, 2012
Its beautiful, wears great, feels great...cant see the time though. I struggled for 2 days to be able to glance at watch for time. You have to tilt it to get light to reflect and contrast the hands. In dim light or at night. Forget about it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Original and replacement watch had same problem, December 9, 2014
I purchased this watch from Kohl's. When I got home, I set the watch and noticed that the day of the week wouldn't change. I pulled the crown out one click and turned it forward, per the instructions, and you could feel the pins or gears engage and then they would slip and the day would twitch a little as the gears slipped, but then wouldn't turn. I tried over and over to change it. Every time I tried, I could feel a click inside as the gears engaged and slipped, but they wouldn't turn. The time and date both worked wonderfully.

After returning the watch to Kohl's, they shipped me a replacement. After waiting for it to arrive, I pulled it out of its box aaaaaand same exact problem. The replacement watch actually had the day of the week get stuck in between the languages (the watch will display the day of the week in English and Spanish). You could see the top half of the English word and the bottom half of the Spanish word and it wouldn't budge. I finally turned the time hand around twice to simulate a day passing and the day display changed back from being stuck in between languages, but it still wouldn't change on it's own. The replacement watch had the same issue: the gears would engage when changing the day of the week and then slip, giving a feel-able click, and then would revert back to the same day.

I'm really disappointed as I love the look of the watch. I'm surprised at such bad workmanship from a brand as respected as Citizen.