5.0 out of 5 stars Originally a 4-star watch...
Published on December 12, 2011 by A. Chowdhury

3.0 out of 5 stars very nice
Published on December 16, 2011 by William R. Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars Originally a 4-star watch..., December 12, 2011
This review is from: Citizen Men's BM8475-00F Black Canvas Strap Eco-Drive Watch (Watch)
I picked this up on impulse during Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals week. I'd had my eye on this and the standard non-blacked-out version for a while. I wasn't expecting much, but i have to admit, i'm pleasantly surprised. Fit and finish is pretty good. Nice matte black non-reflective finish all the way around the case, but i'm terrified i'm going to put a nasty silver scratch in it someday. Day/date wheel is black background w/ white font (red for Sunday) so it blends in nicely, but is still readable. The time is also surprisingly legible. I had a blacked-out watch once before and it was basically a useless fashion accessory. This actually has a small amount of weak lume on the hands and hour indices. I've never actually seen it glow under natural conditions, only when held under a very bright flashlight. The lume does make the hands and indices slightly reflective though, so it's usually still legible with a very small amount of light at the right angle.

The only thing i didn't like about this watch was the strap. The canvas is fine, good quality, and is lined on the inside with like a soft-touch leather or suede or something for added comfort. But i hated the brushed stainless buckle and rings around the holes. This is supposed to be a STEALTH watch. So, i ended up getting a Maratac Zulu 4-ring strap w/ black non-reflective hardware. The finish matches the watch case PERFECTLY, and now i'm totally in love with.

3.0 out of 5 stars very nice, December 16, 2011
William R. Collins (Ithaca, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Because of the solar feature, I have been looking for a Citizen Eco-drive for a while. I also wanted a black, PVD coated watch. When I saw both features together I was very pleased. The last Citizen I saw and liked (BM8475-00E) sold out in a couple of months last year. This one they are calling the 'stealth' is very good looking and much bolder. Yes, the lack of contrast between the black dial and hands make it a little harder to read in low light situations. The canvas strap is comfortable, but could really use black hardware to match the watch - the eyelets and buckle are uncoated steel and look a little odd and out-of-place. I will probably eventually replace the default strap for black leather or black PVD steel. The lume on the hands is not the usual Citizen blue, but rather black until charged and then it glows a faint green. After getting accustomed to the strong, bright lume of my Seikos, I was disappointed with the weak lume of this Citizen. It seems well built. There seems to have been a lack of attention to some aesthetic detail. I hope it doesn't scratch easily and that the mechanism lasts. It is a very comfortable and good looking watch.

3.0 out of 5 stars nice looking watch, December 21, 2011
Neo (California, USA) - See all my reviews
Good looking watch but its a little hard to read indoors. Eco drive feature is nice so you never have to replace the batteries. Would have been nice if the strap was blacked out as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Its a Black Bracelet, June 11, 2012
Its beautiful, wears great, feels great...cant see the time though. I struggled for 2 days to be able to glance at watch for time. You have to tilt it to get light to reflect and contrast the hands. In dim light or at night. Forget about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost great., May 27, 2012
Jason (Lexington, SC) - See all my reviews
Yes it has a dark dial and hands and with lower light levels I cant see the numbers but I can still see the hands, so if you can tell time without numbers you are fine. The only thing that kept me from giving it 5 stars is the illumination on the hands isn't that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you can read this, you can read the watch, July 6, 2013
Despite the awesome aesthetic appeal and my devil may care attitude I was apprehensive buying this watch after reading the numerous reviews saying it was just a nice "black bracelet".

Then one day, after all consideration for this watch was lost, I was window shopping the local mall while knocking out some delicious Cinnabon and I stumbled across it. I did not a double, but a triple take to make sure I was seeing the same watch, and indeed it was. I ran inside, slapped the watch on my wrist, which was partially covered in the sugary joy from my snack, and knew nothing ever felt so right. Even though I've repeatedly tried to melt things with my eyeballs I don't have Superman's eyes, which is why I was so confused that I could read this watch just fine. I've seriously had no issue reading the watch at all, although I will admit it can be difficult to see in low light situations (just avoid dark alleys which is sound advice anyways), but I've found 90% of the time it reads just fine.

So to anyone who is on the fence about purchasing go ahead and get it, you won't regret it. The only thing I would change on the watch is the band, the eyelets are silver and don't really jive with the rest of the watch's design, but that's really nothing to get your undies in a bundle over. Overall a solid, nice looking watch for a great price.

3.0 out of 5 stars DARK FACE, April 14, 2012
This is a very good watch but even though I have excellent eyes, it was very hard to see the time because of the totally black face and hands. Could not use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stealth watch, December 17, 2013
So if you are looking for a stealth watch, you found it! The all black does make it damn near impossible to read the thing unless you tilt your wrist and really look at it. Forget about reading it in a dimly lit area (bars, etc) it is impossible. The lume charged under a bright light, will only get you a minuet or two of extremely weak lume. As a fashion accessory it does succeed as people love the look of this thing. If you have large wrists, I suggest you toss the strap and get a NATO strap like I did. I was on the last hole on the stock strap and it was falling off constantly. Plus with the NATO you can get all black hardware too!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's super Black!, July 26, 2013
If you are looking for a beautiful blacked out watch this is it. It's awesome. Nothing more to say. Anyone leaving feedback because it's too black... well that's kind of the point. If you want a totally black stylish, comfortable watch that will get you loads of compliments this is it. Arrived super fast, as described, and I couldn't be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great daily watch!, June 6, 2013
Looking it online, I thought the watch was a bit too big for my wrist. I'm 5'9 153lbs. I also thought that the watch might feel flimsy or too light for some reason. When I opened the box, I was happy I took the risk. I was very wrong. The 42mm watch fits me perfect and also feels very solid on my wrist. The numbers are readable during the day but not at night. Also, the wristband buckle is silver, which killed the blackout look a bit. All in all, a great watch to have, it looks great and also feels very durable. Even with the small drawbacks I give it 5*

Rate and Discover Movies