5.0 out of 5 stars Originally a 4-star watch...
Published on December 12, 2011 by A. Chowdhury

3.0 out of 5 stars very nice
Published on December 16, 2011 by William R. Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars Originally a 4-star watch..., December 12, 2011
This review is from: Citizen Men's BM8475-00F Black Canvas Strap Eco-Drive Watch (Watch)
I picked this up on impulse during Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals week. I'd had my eye on this and the standard non-blacked-out version for a while. I wasn't expecting much, but i have to admit, i'm pleasantly surprised. Fit and finish is pretty good. Nice matte black non-reflective finish all the way around the case, but i'm terrified i'm going to put a nasty silver scratch in it someday. Day/date wheel is black background w/ white font (red for Sunday) so it blends in nicely, but is still readable. The time is also surprisingly legible. I had a blacked-out watch once before and it was basically a useless fashion accessory. This actually has a small amount of weak lume on the hands and hour indices. I've never actually seen it glow under natural conditions, only when held under a very bright flashlight. The lume does make the hands and indices slightly reflective though, so it's usually still legible with a very small amount of light at the right angle.

The only thing i didn't like about this watch was the strap. The canvas is fine, good quality, and is lined on the inside with like a soft-touch leather or suede or something for added comfort. But i hated the brushed stainless buckle and rings around the holes. This is supposed to be a STEALTH watch. So, i ended up getting a Maratac Zulu 4-ring strap w/ black non-reflective hardware. The finish matches the watch case PERFECTLY, and now i'm totally in love with.

3.0 out of 5 stars very nice, December 16, 2011
William R. Collins (Ithaca, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Because of the solar feature, I have been looking for a Citizen Eco-drive for a while. I also wanted a black, PVD coated watch. When I saw both features together I was very pleased. The last Citizen I saw and liked (BM8475-00E) sold out in a couple of months last year. This one they are calling the 'stealth' is very good looking and much bolder. Yes, the lack of contrast between the black dial and hands make it a little harder to read in low light situations. The canvas strap is comfortable, but could really use black hardware to match the watch - the eyelets and buckle are uncoated steel and look a little odd and out-of-place. I will probably eventually replace the default strap for black leather or black PVD steel. The lume on the hands is not the usual Citizen blue, but rather black until charged and then it glows a faint green. After getting accustomed to the strong, bright lume of my Seikos, I was disappointed with the weak lume of this Citizen. It seems well built. There seems to have been a lack of attention to some aesthetic detail. I hope it doesn't scratch easily and that the mechanism lasts. It is a very comfortable and good looking watch.

3.0 out of 5 stars nice looking watch, December 21, 2011
Neo (California, USA) - See all my reviews
Good looking watch but its a little hard to read indoors. Eco drive feature is nice so you never have to replace the batteries. Would have been nice if the strap was blacked out as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars great watch but...., July 24, 2012
I love how this watch looks and feels. I get a lot of looks and comments on how nice the watch looks. When I was looking for a watch I wanted something with a canvas, rubber, or leather strap. I have never liked bracelet style bands.

When I saw this watch I was instantly drawn to it. The brand, the looks, and the price made me want it. I have had this watch for about a month and have no problems being able to read it during the day. At night that's a different issue all together. This is were I feel that the watch falls short. The hands do not glow enough to tell time in low light situations if you have been inside all day. If I work outside and come into a dark room it has just enough glow to get close to the correct time. If you have not been exposed to a bright light forget about being able to tell what time it is.

What I end up doing before bed or going out at night is I take a bright light like a spotlight or flashlight and shine it on the watch for about 15 secs or so. That charges the hands and then I'm able to see it in low light conditions.

I like the watch and wear it every day and would buy it again but I really would like to see citizen come out with another watch like this just with better low light capabilities.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost great., May 27, 2012
Jason (Lexington, SC) - See all my reviews
Yes it has a dark dial and hands and with lower light levels I cant see the numbers but I can still see the hands, so if you can tell time without numbers you are fine. The only thing that kept me from giving it 5 stars is the illumination on the hands isn't that good.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent fashion watch to be worn in the daytime., November 25, 2012
Marc (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
When you buy this watch, immediately remove the canvas band and replace it with at least something leather. But maybe some of you will like the strap it comes with even though it doesn't seem to match the rest of the watch.

I've owned a couple Eco-Drives and have had good experiences with their precision, functionality, and longevity. This one is no different. However, the watch can only be read during daylight hours or indoors. Unless you have the visual acuity of an owl while under a full moon, you will probably be frustrated with this watch at night. On top of that, the "glow in the dark" pieces are remarkably dim, and retains a glow for less than five minutes.

This is a good fashion watch. It looks nice wherever you are with whatever you're wearing (provided you've ditched the canvas band). The timing and mechanics are spot on, but CAVEAT EMPTOR: you are better off checking the time on your cell phone rather than trying to read this watch in the dark.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Useless., January 1, 2015
This watch is art. They say art has no purpose other than just being itself, and this watch is that. I love it.
Features:
- Accurately records the time from 8 am to 8 pm and then there's 12 hours of just "It's dark out."
- The band is super chunky and crispy for the first week so break it in by strapping it to your dog or something.
- The numbers and hands glow for a short time after being exposed to bright light, on average 2.3 seconds.
- Sunday on the date marker is red so you know it's time to drink virgin blood.
- It's super sturdy and simple
- Charged with the souls of the damned for infinite power
- People think it's a smartwatch if they're dumb.

3.0 out of 5 stars This expectation was not met as the watch does not even faintly glow and because of that it is useless in low light situations p, December 14, 2014
After purchasing this watch as a gift for my husband and it stating that it had "luminosity" in the product description I expected that in the dark my husband would be able to still read the time. This expectation was not met as the watch does not even faintly glow and because of that it is useless in low light situations particularly due to the black on black display. Overall a very good looking watch but the look of it is not really worth the lack of visibility in the dark.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stealth Bomber Watch, March 16, 2012
I get lots of compliments on this watch. The black-on-black styling and coloring is eye-catching. The large (but not too large) size stands out. It goes with everything I wear, from jeans to suits. The only drawback: it's difficult to read in the dark.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very useful. But maybe it is stylish., December 25, 2014
This is a fine watch as long as you don't want know what time it is. Turns out that a Black face, black numbers and black hands cannot be read in daylight of at night. If I turn the flashlight from my iphone at just the right angle you can read the watch.