Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on May 3, 2010
I considered this purchase from the viewpoint of an already satisfied Eco-Drive owner. My original Citizen features a titanium case and strap and is great for business attire. But I wanted a less formal watch for casual wear. This watch caught my eye, and it was love at first sight. The watch arrived after about five days, as advertised. Upon opening the box, I was taken aback by the size. This is a large-face watch, and I was expecting something about the size of my titanium case. I was considering returning it, then decided to give it a try and sell it on eBay if I didn't like it. As it turns out, I got used to it after a couple of days. The canvas strap became a little more pliable, which helped the watch stay in place better on my wrist, and the discomfort of the band disappeared. Now I can focus on enjoying the big face and oversized luminous digits, which glow extraordinarily bright when exposed to a light source at night. Like my original Eco-Drive, this watch keeps excellent time. So far I have not detected a single second's variance between checks and settings. If you order this watch, keep in mind that the face is larger than most and that you'll have to be patient while the canvas strap gets pliable.
66 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2010
I've been looking for another eco-drive with a clean face for everyday wear. I already own a Citizen Ti-zilla and love the toughness of the watch. I own several nice automatics but I find myself always having reset the watch when I do not wear them for a while. That is the great advantage of the eco-drive. As long as the watch is receiving light, it continues to run and keep great time.

I waited a couple of months to get this watch. When it first came out, I knew I wanted to order it. I am a fan of Flieger and military watches. As an active duty military member, I like tough watches which are easy to read. I also like having the day/date option especially for deployments when every day starts to feel like groundhog day. When I saw this watch, I knew it was the perfect combination. Some thoughts:

Size: at 42mm, the watch is big enough to easily read but not one of those grossly oversized watches. I enjoy larger face watches and this one is the right size.

Face: The dial is clear and easy to read. As other reviewers indicated, the face is not black, but rather a dark olive green. Personally, I like how it looks and adds to the overall military appearance of the watch. The numerals are large and easy to read. The day/date window is a little smaller than I'd like but any larger and I believe it would detract from the simple face of the watch.

Hands: The hands of the watch are great. The white gives a great contrast on the dark olive drab face. The minute hand extends long enough for an easy reference to the indexes.

Band: I am never sure about canvas bands but this one is good to go. It is comfortable and was not as stiff as I expected when I first received it. There were no issues with the size and it gives the watch that classic military appearance. That being said, I may swap out the band with a natural rubber band for use in constant heat of Iraq.

Lug width: 22mm lug width provides ample opportunity for a variety of aftermarket bands and provides, in my opinion, a better look to a larger watch.

Crown: I agree with other reviewers that the crown should be a screw down. That being said, I do not plan on taking this watch scuba diving. Its water resistance is more than enough for most outdoor types who are not deep diving searching for lost treasures.

Price: You cannot beat the price for this watch. I haven't seen the price for any less that what Amazon sells it for and, as usual, Amazon shipping was first class. I had the watch in two days from ordering.

Overall Impressions: A tough, accurate and easy to read watch with a reliable movement. With no need to worry about batteries or resetting the time every time I decide to wear it, the Citizen BM8475-00X Eco-Drive Military watch is a winner from the start!
on January 17, 2012
It wasn't too long ago when the only dials you had in your car dashboard were speed, rpm, temperature and fuel gauge. The only lighted indicators were usually just the turn signals. Today, some dashboards look like they belong on a spaceship. There are warning and maintenance lights for every possible system in the car. And, it seems like they turn on with more frequency than ever before. My car clamors for attention and service nearly every other month. I just shake my head in frustration.

It's moments like that where I yearn for the simpler days. On those mornings, I inevitably reach for this Citizen military watch. It's grab-n-go ready. It's got everything I need and nothing I don't.

The primary attractions for me were twofold: clean-n-simple military looks and Eco-Drive. The back-to-basics dial format works hand-in-hand with the military styling. It's one that has a similar look-n-feel to certain Bell & Ross (B&R) and Sinn models - a very good thing.

The watch is a simple three hand quartz on a four number dial with a day/date feature at the 3 o'clock position. The size of the day/date is acceptable. It's a game of compromise between big font legibility and design aesthetics. Some have voiced their preference for eliminating this to clean up the face. I prefer and need it. It's been done well without displacing the "3" on the dial.

The watch is imminently readable at a glance, thanks to light colored, big fonts against a darker face. Under ambient or moderate lighting, the olive dial can be mistaken for a black one, especially if glanced at certain angles. Otherwise, it's clearly olive. If Citizen had introduced a white-on-black version, that would have been nirvana for me - my very own B&R/Sinn-styled watch with quartz accuracy/reliability. But, I've grown to appreciate the olive dial since I already have a black face dial and it seems truer to the military theme. I'm glad I got this one. At the time of this review, Citizen has introduced two additional versions: a black-on-black (model BM8475-00F) and an orange-on-black (model BM8475-26E). Both of these versions have a slightly revised "3" font and the addition of military hours around the perimeter of the dial.

The black ion-plated case has a matte finish, measures 42mm in diameter (about 45mm with the non-screw down knurled crown), about 49mm tall (lug-to-lug) and 22mm between the lugs. The ion-plated case and mineral crystal won't be as ding-proof as a PVD and sapphire combination, but for the price point, it works. The watch wears slightly larger since there's no thick bezel, thus the case is nearly all dial. This is somewhat offset by the large four number font format 3-6-9-12. The watch is not "trendy large" but certainly bigger than traditionally modest sizes.

This version comes with a standard 7 ¾" mens length black canvas strap with seven eyelet grommets. The eyelets have coarse adjustments so you may not get an exact fit. The strap has about 4mm of light padding at the lug end which then tapers to about 3mm by the first eyelet (tightest fit eyelet). The buckle on the strap is silver matte (not matching black). The strap is sturdy and goes well with the military theme. On earlier production models, there were some comments from others in regards to an odor from the strap. I didn't experience any unusual odors, so Citizen may have gotten this sorted out.

After a strong charge under a light, the lume does glow through the night albeit, fading as the night progresses. On a 10pm light charge, the lume glowed well for the first couple of hours. When I woke at 5am, it was barely visible, but still there.

The Eco-Drive system has worked flawlessly thus far. Then again, I've only had this watch for about two months, which is still well within the 6 month "total darkness" power reserve. When it's not being worn, it's on a display stand exposed to indirect/filtered sunlight daily. So, I don't expect to experience any low-battery conditions. I won't go into details about the Eco-Drive system since Citizen's web site takes care of that. Since it'll never need a battery replacement, the only attention it will require is for daylight savings adjustment and day/date advancement for months less than 31 days.

With clean-n-simple military looks and near maintenance free operation, this watch will provide a lifetime of service and won't ask for much in return. I just wish my car was like this.

For a video review, click the link below:

[...]

If the link is disabled, just search "Citizen Eco-Drive Military Watch BM8475" on youtube.
on May 25, 2011
I wear my watches hard. I looked a long time for a watch that could handle being banged, splashed, dropped, and basically forgotten about while I am at work. I am a restaurant manager and deal with customers all the time so I also wanted the watch to look nice. I have been wearing this citizen for about 4 months now and can say the this model fits all my requirements and then some.

Pros: First and foremost a great watch looks good. This watch is a little bigger than I normally wear but I quickly got used to that and now I like the extra size. I have certainly seen bigger faces so I wouldn't call this huge but it is lager than average. As other review have stated, the face is green, not black. The indiglo hands are very bright right after coming out of the light and hold at least some light for quite a while. Of course it won't stay bright forever but there is still enough glow to see what time it is after a couple hours in a movie or outside at night. I love the fact that there is no battery and so far my watch keeps almost perfect time.

Cons: While I appreciate having both the day and date on the face, it would be nice if this watch had an automatic date complication. The turner has two steps, one for day/date and one for the time. It is a little tough to tell when you are on the first step so a lot of the time I end up changing the time when I only want to set the correct date on the 1st of the month.

Conclusion: A great "banger" watch to wear every day. It might not be for the board room or a black tie dinner but if you want something that can stand up to a little punishment and still look good this will fit the bill.
on November 22, 2010
For the money, this is a pretty good watch. I'm not impressed with the black finish since it scratches too easily compared to other pvd finish watches. The band is too stiff and it doesn't reshape with wearing. I find the watch wants to migrate to either side of my wrist because the band doesn't like to conform. The lume isn't anything special, but in daylight the dial is very legible. I've had excellent performance with a number of Eco=drive watches, so I expect this watch will run longer than I care to wear it. A decent knock-around field style watch with an uncomfortable band.
on April 26, 2011
My old swiss army gave up on me and so I bought this watch with little thought. My requirements were black bezel, 100m, military-type field watch that had hands that lit up. I'm thoroughly impressed with this watch at this price. It's not so expensive that you are afraid to wear it. I plan to wear it full time for work duty (engineer), hunting, fishing, swimming, etc... Like others mentioned, the watch face is large, but not too large. I did purchase a 22mm zulu band for it and couldn't be happier. I am very surprised how long the face stays lit up. After wearing the watch on a normal day, the face is still be readable when I wake up in the morning. It may not be a $1000 watch, but it won't let you down.
on April 7, 2010
What can I say? Citizen makes a great, affordable watch. This particular model is perfect for outdoor activities. I love the eco-drive concept. No batteries to change for the next 20 years or so. And Citizen's in-house luminescence is second-to-none. Once you expose the watch to a bright light for a couple of minutes it will shine a bright blue all night long. I do have two minor quibbles. I wish it had a screw down crown to increase its water resistance. The watch hands could be a bit larger and the lume on them applied more thickly.
on February 19, 2011
This watch looks great, is easy to read, and glows in the dark for easy reading. It's a man-sized watch. I was attracted to the Bell & Ross BR 03 92 which sells for 2-3 grand (US). This watch looks identical except for the round bezel (BR is square). But for the money, it's an outstanding watch. It is extremely accurate; I set it four months ago and it's still within 20 seconds of WWV. That's more accurate than the mechanical swiss movement in the BR. If I could change anything, I'd make the face black instead of OD green. Still, I love this watch.
on April 12, 2010
My watch arrived quickly and without a scratch. The canvas strap takes some getting used to but the size of the bezel is great...not too big and not too small and I am about 6ft to give you an idea. The illumination works good but has to be charged with a light source and does not glow actively. A good watch for my flightsuit.
on March 29, 2011
Very classy, traditional military style watch. It doesn't give you the altitude, temperature, GPS coordinates, have multiple countdown timers,, different sounding beeps, or an instruction manual that needs to be digitally searchable. It tells time. The 101st, 82nd, and 10th Mountain Division won World War 2 with watches like these. Durable and simple.

See 1 answered question