5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for good looking, basic watch
Published on August 4, 2012 by Jason

3.0 out of 5 stars It's all in the eyes of the beholder
This was an impulse buy. The watch looked great on the computer, so I jumped at it, especially as I have had a Citizen eco-drive for the past 4 years and am nothing but pleased. I have had the new watch for several weeks now. The contrast between the orange and black is striking and caused me to quickly hit 'Add to cart'.
Impressions - The watch seems darker than it...
Published on December 14, 2012 by Larry R. Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for good looking, basic watch, August 4, 2012
This review is from: Citizen Men's BM8475-26E "Eco-Drive" Stainless Steel and Synthetic Leather Strap Watch (Watch)
I just purchased this watch today after spending hours scouring the internet and the local mall. I wanted something sporty looking, but very functional, for daily wear. This watch caught my eye, and between its fantastic looks and low price, I just couldn't resist. It feels very well made, as you would expect from a Citizen, maybe even a little better than you'd expect from a Citizen. Compared to the Fossils that you'll find at the mall, this has fewer features for the price, but much better quality. The second hand, for example, points precisely to the markings, rather than falling somewhere in between, as it invariably does when you look carefully at a Fossil. If you appreciate precision, you'll appreciate this watch. Although the numbers are orange, the luminescence is green at night, but very bright, with the 12, 3, 6, and 9 fully luminescent, in addition to the minute and hour hands and in between markings. You may not notice in the pictures, but there are also 24 hour markings on the outside of the dial, so you can easily convert to 24 hour time. The strap looks very good. It feels a bit like vinyl, but is stamped Genuine Leather on the inside (despite Amazon's product info). It is quite a thick strap (approximately 3-4 mm), which perhaps contributes to the "stiff" feeling noted by other reviewers, but it is not stiffer than other high-quality leather straps I've seen. The strap also squeaks a bit on the lugs and at the clasp if it's moving around. This doesn't bother me, and it will probably go away over time, but it may bother some.

In short, it looks great (unusual without being over the top), feels great, and has no battery to change. Not sure you could ask for any more out of a watch for this kind of money.

Update: I've now had this watch for about two weeks, and I can report that the squeaking from the strap is almost entirely gone. I'm also pleased with the accuracy--it's good enough that it's hard to measure the drift accurately using a website clock such as time.is over a couple of days. That's expected from a quartz, but it's good to see nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Orange is the New Black..., July 1, 2014
Very easy to read watch face, I was looking for one like this with white numbers, indexes and hands but only saw the one with the green face and didn't care for the look. The strap was actually pretty nice, but I'll change it out with a black one with white threads.

About the only thing I'd like would be to have the crown a screwed down crown but I haven't had it that long to see if it's a real issue.

Funny thing, the day and date, this morning as I looked to the watch on my nite stand, the day and date appeared as one of the hands since the hour and minute were at 6 ;) then I realized, well I also didn't have my glasses on, that it was the day and date and not a hand at the 3 position. For me, I'd like it better to just have the date, but, ya get what ya get.

Packaging on this was pretty good, my last watch from amazon wasn't packed quite as good but it did make it safely.
G2

5.0 out of 5 stars great watch, September 28, 2012
This watch reminds me of a Bell & Ross Vintage Heritage BR 123 watch I rrreaalllyy want but can't afford at this moment.

But when I saw this Citizen watch, I realized its similar aesthetics to the BR 123 (but without the hefty price).

-Essentially, the Swiss mechanical automatic movement is replaced with a eco-drive Japanese quartz movement,
-the anti reflective ultra curved super hard sapphire crystal is replaced by an off the shelf mineral crystal,
-the sand colored beige leather strap and markers/hands are replaced by a general orange,
-the thin case of the BR 123 is replaced by Citizen's bulkier case,
-the second hand is not subsidiary (like the BR 123), but part of the hour and minute hands (like most watches).
-However, the citizen adds a day indicator whilst the BR 123 does not.

Now subtract about $3,069 (original price $3,200) and you get the Citizen BM8475-26E ($131). What really sold me to the Citizen was the eco-drive technology. Although it does not compare to the Swiss mechanical automatic movement of the BR 123, knowing that if you keep good care of this watch, you shouldn't ever have to replace the battery. Which makes me wonder if this watch lasts as long as light exists (forever?... I question that. I guess time will tell)... The colors are also great and unique. The orange markers and hands against the black dial make it desirable since orange and black are one of my favorite color combinations. You can't really find a classic looking watch like this in orange.

The only things that concern me after I purchased it was the date adjust... You really have to be gentle and gingerly with it or I feel like it may damage the movement. Pulling the crown should also be done gingerly. It's tricky to get it to the right spot and takes practice to master. The band squeaks a bit, but goes away after a week or more of daily wear. All in all the price and design of this watch makes it very enticing to purchase and own, which I have no regrets doing. This watch doesn't make you wonder, "does this watch come with insurance?" like you do with high end time pieces. With this price, and this eco-drive technology, I feel like it's a worthy and economic (and ecological?) investment.

Oh, and I just realized the luminescence of the hands and dials are not as strong as some of my other watches... but it doesn't bother me as much, because I don't find myself in a situation where I'm in super pitch darkness and then wonder... "that time is it?".

3.0 out of 5 stars It's all in the eyes of the beholder, December 14, 2012
Larry R. Harris (Manhattan Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Impressions - The watch seems darker than it appeared on Amazon's site. Where is the lumenesince? My watch does not seem to be so blessed and is a near disaster in the dark. At the time of purchase, I was unaware of this feature so did not use this to downgrade the product. I have had several positive comments regarding the appearance of the watch. The band...It says genuine leather, however on a leather scale of 1-10, I would give it about a 2. It is quite stiff and does not feel all that comfortable on the wrist. I plan to replace it. Regarding the day date feature...Why is it that whenever I look at it, the time always seems to be 15 minutes past the hour thus rendering this feature as fluff, with the minute hand playing the role of Mr. obstruction. It is a bit difficult to read when unobstructed so those of us older people with less then 20/20 may have a problem. I found that setting the day/date feature kind of a pain. The second detent was not particularly ergonomically designed. No matter, I don't care about that as I didn't purchase the watch for that feature. The thickness of the case is a tad too thick for my taste but Amazon did present that data up front.
Bottom line--When all is taken into consideration, it is just okay for me. I believe the watch to be priced reasonably and would not hesitate to recommend it, assuming that the downside is not an issue. Once again, it is all in the eyes of the beholder.
If anything changes, I will update this review as necessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch! Stiff band!, July 15, 2012
The watch is great. Excellent materials and nice matte finish on the bezel. The only negative is the brown leather band is very stiff. By no means is it soft. For me I have to pre-bend it before putting the watch on each day. Other than that it's a great watch. Keeps excellent time and I love how the orange markers are easy to see during the day and even in low light. Don't let the band issue keep you from getting it! Oh ya, the clasp matches perfectly to the watch bezel so finding a replacement band is nearly impossible. I have a black NATO band with matte black clasp but the band is too thin and cheap looking for this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and Handsome Watch, September 21, 2012
The Citizen's Men watch was beyond my expectations. Having had a tough and accurate Citizen that I wore for sports and diving, I was familiar with the quality of the brand. This watch, however, was even better looking then I had anticipated. It is easily set (time and date); keeps great time; and the band is comfortable and as smart looking as the timepiece.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Citizen, November 15, 2012
Plain and simple, this is a simple, solid, good looking watch. Not a whole lot of bells and whistles but in the age of the one "do-everything" devices it's nice to have something that has one sole function and this watch does it well and looks classy doing it. If there are any left, get it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Winner, July 16, 2014
I really like this watch. Based on reviews I was expecting a cheap looking band but I am quite pleased with it. Comfortable and stylish. The
large face and #'s and the bright orange color is eye catching. As former military I also like the 24 hour military time option. I wore it for the first time today and received a compliment. I highly recommend this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite casual watch, November 21, 2012
I don't know enough about watches to give an educated review about accuracy, or how well the second hand is lined up...
but I can say that this watch is awesome looking, very comfortable (after you break in the leather), and gets a lot of compliments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific watch, October 26, 2012
Easy to read, stylish and maintenance free. Leather band is a bit stiff but, it will become more supple/softer with wear. Color contrast between numbers and dial face enhances appearance and lends to quick view of time, without any difficulty.