Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on PlasmaCar

on February 9, 2015
The date window is very small, otherwise a nice looking watch.
I just upgraded from a Seiko 5 which I had for about 2 years, this one is significantly bigger so I took some pics in case anyone else is doing a similar upgrade and wants to know what their new watch will look like in comparison.
I'll update this review after I've worn it around for a while.

It's about 6 months later, I've got a touch of insomnia, so might as well update this review.

Accuracy on this watch is excellent. The Seiko would loose about 3 minutes a week, this watch I don't think has lost more than a couple of seconds in the 6 months I've been wearing it. Now there is a caveat to it's accuracy, and that is the ginormous snagtastic crown that this watch has. I have caught the crown more than a few times on objects (usually while unloading trucks, snagging a bit of stretch wrap) and that has caused the hands to spin to a random location. So with the Seiko I had a predictable loss of 3 minutes per week, and with the Citizen I get the occasional total loss of knowing what time it is altogether.
Given the superb accuracy of this watch I have no idea why they felt the need to make the crown so big, seeing how it only really needs to be pulled every other month to adjust the date (which is almost unreadable anyways).

The band is comfy once it gets broken in. I hated the band for the first month or so, and I have a wrist that fell between two hole sizes, but after 6 months the band seems to have shrunk that half size and now fits perfectly on the 4th hole and has softened up nicely. I don't wear my watch in the shower, so it has not gotten 'funky' as others have reported.

Durability seems excellent also. There are very few light scratches on the glass and the only place where the black enamel is coming off is on that snagtastic crown. Also I recently had the pleasure of falling about 10 feet off of a ladder onto my left side. The watch separated from the band on impact and landed about 15 feet from my body. The watch was unharmed, I'm still a bit sore.

The only thing keeping me from giving this watch a full 5 stars is the size of the crown, other than that this is an excellent time piece.
review image review image review image
on July 23, 2013
Something different with the minutes being bold yellow. I would recommend this to other shoppers. Great Eco-Drive Watch for my collection.
VINE VOICEon December 9, 2014
Excellent, analog Citizen!

This is my second Citizen watch and is used exclusively at work where I need to see the time and nothing else. The luminous numbers light up well in a patient's room when the lights are dimmed.

The band, which is cloth, will become smelly and bacteria ridden within a few weeks. However, I found a solution with the Rubbertech Silicone Rubber band here:

The numbers will confuse some people as the minutes are more pronounced than the hours, but it actually works better for viewing. The second hand is luminous as well.

I put the watch in a glass of water overnight with no issues.

A very nice watch for everyday work wear and casual attire.
review image review image review image
on December 26, 2013
Citizen is my new favorite watch maker. I've ordered six Eco-Drive watches this past year and no regrets. As a watch collector I have two Rolex watches, one from 1944 and the other 1950. In addition, I own over 50 watches, a varied collection of all types and makers. I've put them all away under my bed since I've started collecting the Eco-Drive models I've purchased through Amazon. I love these watches and the Citizen Men's BV1085-14E Eco-Drive Watch is my 4th Citizen watch purchase out of six.
This watch is beautiful, I love the yellow hands and numbers against the black face and bezel. I enjoy looking at this watch and I always receive a compliment or two when I wear it.
The main reason I give this watch a 5 star rating is due to its accuracy. I've had this watch 5 or 6 months and it hasn't missed a second of accuracy.
If you like black, sleek watches, this one is for you!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2013
I was looking for a great looking and simple watch for casual days when I am out and about in casual sports wear or driving on my frequent road trips. I love Citizen Eco-Drive because I hate replacing watch batteries. This watch takes care of all of your needs in a simple package. The luminescence is not as good as some of my other Eco-Drive watches but its still better than any non-Eco watch I have owned. The only thing I don't like is the stiff and off-centered nylon strap that causes the watch to not center-up on my wrist. It's a definite detractor and I wanted to like the strap but I think I will be replacing it with something like a carbon fiber strap. Despite that, I still consider it a good purchase.
on September 26, 2015
I purchased this watch from an authorized Citizen dealer. Been wearing for about two weeks now and I am super impressed. I have been collecting Citizen watches for about 4 years now, and usually go for the bulkier more advanced titanium divers/aviation models but since I was on a tight budget and wanted something a little simpler I chose this one. Being a veteran, it instantly came off to me as very Military-esque due to it's black cloth strap and yellow-on-black face. After wearing for about two weeks, I noticed that the movement does an excellent job of keeping up with the actual time. I haven't had to adjust it once other than to set the calendar to compensate for the switch to October. The strap is very comfortable, but I definitely recommend trying it on first because the holes are spread out fairly far and if you don't have the wrist for it, it will either be way too loose or extremely tight.
review image
on June 9, 2014
I got this watch and a Seiko 5 Automatic today, (the Seiko is going back, I wanted to try an automatic movement but its was there..i tried it, and nope ..dont like em). This is my second Citizen watch I`ve bought. I've had expensive Aviation and dive watches before but they always failed after battery changes that went bad. I finally said enough with batteries and got an Eco Drive. Best desicion I ever made. My old Citizen is very accurate ( +/- 1min/year) but getting a little boring. I use it at work on constrution sites. Its still my work watch and I wanted another one for off days.
This watch is very nice, easy to read, glows pretty good, nice finish, 43mm case is about perfect size, yellow on black is interesting and gives it a unique, clean "all bussiness" look without being to busy, full of subdials & gadgets you never use.
1. black band and black case is a little much. So Im gonna put a Gray Zulu/NATO 4 band on it.
2. second hand not luminous (not a big deal)
3. The crown protrudes a little too much
4. date window is very small
5. Youll spend all your money on more Citizen Eco-Drive watches.
But im being Very critical, trying to find cons.
Oh, and I got a refund on the Seiko instead of exchange. Im not gonna bother with trying another one.
on July 21, 2014
This watch looks great. Not too big, not too small. Beautiful black case. Very easy to read. Strap is OK, and not short as read in other reviews, and I weigh 200lbs so I don't have skinny wrists... Yes, it's basic and could use a more premium strap, but it's comfortable. Excellent quality price at a good price. Really happy about this purchase so far.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is an awesome watch that takes very little light for it to glow. I purchased a Hadley Roma band with it, although the band that was on there was fine. I just really wanted the Hadley Roma band. The band I purchased was the Hadley-Roma Men's MSM848RA 220 22-mm Black Genuine 'Kevlar' Watch Strap, and it really gives the watch an upgraded look and feel.

Hadley-Roma Men's MSM848RA 220 22-mm Black Genuine 'Kevlar' Watch Strap
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2014
10/3/15 This thing is ticking just as good as it did when I got it. I love it! I have since put a leather band on it but often switch to the other band depending on the situation.

I got my watch while aboard the Carnival Elation cruise in their Fun Shops. I paid just around $130 without taxes (international waters). I have to say this is one excellent watch! There are many versions of this watch out there, some with just the hours, and some like this with the big, bold minutes. This is favorable to me and many others as that is the most important thing to them when glancing at your watch. The glow of this watch is sufficient, not overly bright. Just right. This watch appeared so good that my Dad (who went with me on the cruise) decided to pick up a watch from the Eco-Drive line (A more sophisticated leather banded version) also. So far it has kept time very well, actually very good. The build quality of this watch is also extraordinary. It just feels right. The glass on this may not be scratch resistant and only 100M water resistant (compared to my Dads 300M water resistant and anti-scratch coating) but it looks crystal clear even after being nearly 2 months off the cruise. All in all this is one great watch at a great price (If you pay under $150.00). Recommended!

See 1 answered question