Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on May 7, 2014
This is your basic mid price range Citizen watch. What is unique about this watch face, is the outer numbers are numbered in five minute increments so users can more easily read the minutes, versus by hour. I find this helpful, if you're working and need to quickly determine dry times or how long since you've performed a task in minutes. The outer perimeter minutes also help to quickly determine in between quarter hour minutes. (ie. The minutes design used on perimeter of this watch face diminishes the amount of time to distinguish between 1:05 & 1:10, 1:20 & 1:25, 1:35 & 1:40, ...) This also seems to help with memory retention as the minutes are not commonly shown on a normal watch face, requiring the minutes to be visualized instead of seen. Then later the minutes are usually more difficult to recall.

All in all, I'd say this watch has an unusual but well thought-out and logical watch face design!

Pros
1) Easily distinguishable numbers with outer edge minute markings.
2) Luminescent for night time use.
3) Soft leather within the inner clothe strap; very comfortable wearing.
4) Citizen quality.
5) Citizen watches now appear to have standardized straps, making interchanging straps easy without any fuss of the watch then looking weird.

Cons
1) Advertised models are confusing when looking at their website. There are also black (BV1085-14E) and tan (BV1085-31E) strapped versions of this same similar watch face. (ie. List or group all BV1085-* models onto the same page.)

I'll probably buy a tan strap later for this green strapped (BV1085-22H) model, so that this watch doesn't look so military looking.

Since there's delicate leather on the back of these fabric cloth bands, probably a good idea to treat the leather with Lexol leather cleaner and non-darkening conditioner. (Reason for using the non-darkening condition versus regular Lexol conditioner, the leather on the underside of the strap is a delicate leather. Correct leather experts?)

2014.07.08 - After acquiring the watch I originally wanted or set-out to buy initially, the Citizen BM8180-03E watch; I tend to like the face of the BM8180-03E watch much better then this one reviewed. The Citizen BM8180-03E watch does still include the designations for the minutes, but more subdued then the hour designations making the Citizen BM8180-03E watch much easier to read. However, the Citizen BM8180-03E watch has a thinner wrist band then this watch reviewed here and is non-interchangeable for this watches band. So I like the Citizen BM8180-03E watches face, but enjoy the wider more comfortable and easier to use Citizen BV1085-* watch wrist bands. (The Citizen BV1085-* watch faces with the larger bold minute designations are much too difficult to read for everyday use.)
on April 1, 2014
good watch with leather surface in the inner side of the strap, very comfortable

nice shipment from usa to aus, it took only 10 working days...
on February 6, 2014
This is my first Eco-Drive watch and man am I impressed!!! It has a simple military design with an OD Green nylon band that is very comfortable. The case is black as is the face with both white and orange numbers and hands so it is easy to read. The case is 43mm so it's a good size and has nice weight to it. It's casual and sporty and is an extremely cool timepiece!!
on August 4, 2014
I got this watch at a department store (starts with M and rhymes with Tracy) at the same price it was offered here. I was looking for a military styled watch which didn't require batteries, and I wanted something a bit nicer than my Casios. I have a G-Shock, a Pathfinder, and a couple other Waveceptor. I also have another Citizen Eco-Drive AT0660-6E, I believe, and a couple of Seiko 5 automatics. At any rate, I love the watch now I've replaced the awful band with something else. I bought a green rubber tire tread design strap (Toscana) from Amazon, and a couple of Hadley-Roma rubber straps as well. I'm not sure why Citizen hampers some of their nice watches with awful straps. The problem is the eyelets and their spacing will get it too loose or too tight...suck.

I find it to be a nice looking watch. I camp a lot, and don't have many occasions for dressing up. If I do, I'll just put on a nicer strap and I'm good to go. It's accurate, water resistant down further than I'll ever swim, but I don't have to remove it for showering. That was a turnoff for the Seikos, and the lack of accurate timekeeping. I like the orange highlights, the aforementioned Citizen was a bit too orange, lol. Good looking dial, easy to see without glasses, and very nice lume. The best part is no more bi-yearly or sooner battery replacement. Better for the planet too..can't beat that! I think this one is the best looking of the BV1085 series, but that's my opinion. If you're looking for a good beater everyday watch, I don't think you can go wrong with this one.
on December 17, 2013
I purchased this watch for more casual wear and it has more than lived up to the billing. It is a great watch, a slightly smokey face - not black. The orange hour markings really pop off of the face. The date marker is set back a little far, can be hard to see at an angle. I did change the band out for a light, natural leather band and it has given it a very nice, but still very casual look. I have to compliment Citizen because it is not as easy to tell where the solar panels of this watch are like on other Eco-Drives I own. This watch can be a little big, but I think the style and face are great.
on April 22, 2015
I will preface this and a couple of other reviews by saying that I purchased this watch to demo with a few others in order to find a daily "beater" watch. Skipping ahead to the end, this and the Hamilton I bought are being returned.

Build quality is fantastic, as I would expect from a Citizen. The EcoDrive mechanism is a wonder of modern watch technology, and works very well. My only qualm with this watch was the size. I am used to a 37mm Tag Heuer 1000 Diver, and my first foray into the 40mm+ category confirmed my suspicions that I cannot comfortably wear one on a daily basis. Just too large and bulky. The band is comfortable enough, though I would likely change it out for a leather/canvas Hadley Roma. I loved the brushed dark finish on the case, and the orange accents of the face help this watch stand out.

In summary, this is a great watch if you are looking for something in the 40mm+ size range. Its not obnoxiously large like some of the current trend of watches, and has a rugged yet classy look. Just not the watch for me. If this style was available with a 37-39mm case and 18-20mm band, I would purchase one in a heartbeat. There are some EcoDrives that fit the bill, but not with this style face.
on April 20, 2014
I coupled this with a nylon wrist band, so far it's kept perfect time, is stylish, and looks great. I like how the seconds are listed on the outside, gives it a very distinct look. Lightweight.
on July 14, 2014
As another review pointed out, it seems to be easier
to take a quick glance and know the time to the minute, with the 0-60 being prominent on the outside. So far, keeps excellent time, have an atomic self adjusting clock, and after a couple of weeks, this watch has stayed with it, to the second.
Only thing to criticize is the band. For a watch that is able to be worn in water, cloth is not my idea of a good material to use. Have already changed out to a black Casio band.(22mm). Other than that, I am very happy with the watch.
on November 5, 2015
UPDATE- Really enjoying the watch, very accurate for my needs and looks great. The watch looks really nice although in my opinion having the minutes so big on the outside is a little less practical for finding the hour quickly and the hours are not illuminated. That said a few extra seconds to tell the hour really isn't that big a deal. The mineral glass is very sharp and prevents scratches really well and black stainless steel body has been growing on me. The stock green wrist band is not nice in my opinion, went with a nato strap that doesn't taper and better compliments the watch.

Nice watch overall but has a few small things that prevent a five star rating. The watch looks nice to me and I really bought it for the EcoDrive, not having a battery that needs frequent replacement is excellent. I really appreciate that the hidden solar panel is able to charge from either sun light or artificial lighting. I also find that the luminescent paint used on this will last you over eight hours which was really shocking to me.

The factory band is underwhelming but adequate. However I did switch it out for a NATO type strap and I think it looks a little better than the factory green strap. The finish appears to be black nickel which is a bit more shiny than I prefer but it's okay. Something to note also is the date window is sunken fairly deep into the watch face and this makes it difficult to read in indirect lighting.

While the watch has the minutes large on the outer ring and the hours smaller inside of the minutes. I think I would prefer the hours to be a little bigger and not orange. It's not bad but after having it for a little while I would have chosen another color. Also the adjustment crown or whatever the little knob is called on the side of the watch is a bit bigger than necessary. As a result I find the knob (being aggressively textured) can irritate my hand/wrist.

The things I mentioned above are not perfect but still relatively minor and none of those really would stop me from buying this watch (when on sale). Overall I like that watch function and feel I got a good value for about $110.00. Construction seems very solid and the size is just fine although I wouldn't go any smaller (usually wear a suunto core). Watch came packed real nice and overall I really am loving the EcoDrive watch, well done Citizen.
on September 21, 2015
From the overall looks, feel, weight and operation, this watch is worth far more than its price tag.

It is quite handsome, rugged yet elegant, its a watch that receives many compliments from women and men alike.

The minute numbers are large, easy to read, and pops against the dark background.

The orange hour numbers are also distinct and functional.

The small second hand dial is a very useful complication - yet doesn't take much footprint on the watch face.

The size is very nice - large but not gigantic nor ostentatious. Masculine. Easy to wear while hunting or in a suit. With a suit, it allows you to give a subtle guffaw against all those who feel they must only wear a Rolex type watch.

Finally the eco-drive, sun-powered battery feature is great. I never have to worry about winding it or the battery dying on me.
In the dark, it glows well.

I cannot say enough great things about it.