Citizen Men's CA0020-56E Eco-Drive Titanium Watch
Price:$337.50+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 12, 2011
Pros:
-Lightweight titanium.
-Sapphire face.
-Solar-powered Eco-Drive. Hopefully servicing won't be required for several years.
-Subdued look for a chronograph; from 2 feet away the subdials fade into the background of the face and does not interfere with reading of the time. You only notice the dials when you want to notice them. Very thin chrono second hand. All this = an extremely readable watch.
-Chrono second hand = 5 beats per second. It's no Bulova Precisionist, but it's a nice sweep for a quartz.

Chronograph cons:
-Limited to 60 minutes; no hour totalizer.
-Hands of minute subdial does not stop precisely on each minute. "Is that 22 or 23 minutes?"
-Stop/start only; no split time function.

-Face has this weird looking plastic film that reflects like a CD in bright light in some angles. Not apparent indoors. Might be semi-transparent for eco-drive functionality?

Subjective:
-Subdials: 12o'clock = chrono minute totalizer, 6o'clock = seconds counter, 9'oclock = 24 hour clock indicator (Good I guess if you're stuck in a cave and can't tell day from night.. but it's also useful for when you're setting your watch so that your date doesn't shift over at noon. Other than that, I wish it doubled as a chrono hour totalizer).
-Case and bracelet = uniform, brushed titanium finish. Minute accents of polish on the edges of the lugs and on the chronograph buttons and stem.
-Single fold, Side push-button disengagement of clasp.
-Subdials are sunken into the face, but there's a rim around each dial, similar to a crater. Reminds me of when the liquid metal T1000 gets shot in Terminator 2.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 1, 2012
I searched long and hard for a watch that was made of titanium, didn't require a battery, had a sapphire crystal, and wasn't gigantic. This is the watch that I ended up choosing, and I couldn't be happier. The watch has a similar appearance of watches costing twice as much. The chronograph function seems to work well, but the minute counter is very small as others have said. But if you get your magnifying glass out, the hand does point right at the hatch marks for each minute. The luminescence of the hands and markers is good enough to tell the time in total darkness as well.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 17, 2013
I purchased this time piece about 2 months ago . I was looking to treat my self to new a watch I did my research on line on different brands and styles of watches . I came across the Citizen Mens CA0020-56E Eco Drive Titanium Watch.
This watch is well put together . It is a very attractive piece to look at . It stands out when you wear it to work or even a casual night out . I love the fact that people can't help but to stare at your wrist trying to get a glimpse of it when having a conversation amongst friends .I've had nothing but great compliments about it . Does not scratch as easy as some reviewers may say . It takes its bumps and bruises well .I look forward to purchasing another watch from the Citizen Eco Drive Titanium collection. Most importantly the price was great at Amazon. I would highly RECOMMEND this watch to anyone who is looking to invest in a BEAUTIFUL TIME PIECE.....
on January 31, 2012
This watch has a lot of features for the price, Eco-Drive, Titanium, Sapphire Crystal, Water Resistant to 100m.

Also, the on-line pictures do not do the watch justice. It has a similiar appearance to the Omega Seamaster (watch worn by James Bond in the most recent movies) with the black dial face and titanium band, except this watch also has the chronograph and for a lot less money. It has a classy look and can be worn to work, dinner, sporting events, etc. As noted in other reviews, the date window is slightly recessed but does not detract from the overall appearance of the watch. Very satisfied with the purchase of this watch.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 24, 2012
Just received this watch with super fast shipping. Watch looks fantastic. Images on the Amazon website rarely do the item justice. In person it's really a gem. The watch is super-super-super light weight. Titanium is awesome. I personally don't like lugging around 5 lbs on my wrist.

In doors, the watch is dark. When you are outside in the sunshine, it looks fantastic. Very easy to read. The keys for me were the obvious features: Sapphire Crystal, Eco-Drive (no battery changing), and light weight Titanium band.

Watch can be worn with a suit or simply casual attire. I got to be very, very honest; being a die-hard Amazon Super Fan, I did not purchase the watch from Amazon. The watch was actually over $100 cheaper (brand new and the exact same watch) at another website (new egg) and it arrived in 2 days with zero shipping. Again, I do 99% of my online purchases from Amazon, but not on this particular item.

I am very happy with my purchase and highly recommend this watch to anyone else that is thinking about obtaining this model.
review image
on December 25, 2011
Love the way this watch looks feels and keeps time.
Super light due to the titanium construction.
Solar powered so you never have to take it in for battery replacement.
Moderately large face.
Band does not grab at your forearm hairs.
I've owned the watch for about a month now, sync'd with my radio controlled clock at home and only slow to half a second in one month.
The perfect work/everyday watch while keeping the nicer ones for special occasions.
Very satisfied with purchase.

My one caveat:

This watch will not keep the correct date for months shorter than 31 days and must be corrected in March, May, July, October, and December.
Check the manual on the Citizen website and see for yourself. Model and caliber is "B612"
Expected a +$300 watch to keep the correct date year-round.
Guess you can't have it all.

Thanks for reading!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 21, 2011
I was looking at a watch for everyday use and one which would look right at place with both suits and jeans and this fits the slot well.

Good things about the watch:

- The watch is surprisingly rugged than it looks. I've dropped it a couple of times but it has managed to stay unscratched including on the glass.

- Couple of subtle touches in the watch actually make it look and feel more expensive. The 24 hour dial at 9 0'clock is textured with concentric circles while the chrono minute at 12 o'clock and the second dial at 6 O'clock are textured with horizontal lines. Citizen could have avoided the black lines dissecting the dial which make it look busier. However, since the lines are subtly done, they blends with the dial and are noticeable only if you really want to look for them.

- The stand out feature of the watch is its weight and it is truly impressive how light the watch actually is. The Tissot PRS 516 feels heavier on the wrist than this watch. The bracelet is well engineered and the links feel solid.

- The watch looks a lot better when you actually see it on the wrist than in the pictures or other promotional material.

- Accuracy, is pretty good and being a Citizen the mechanism is tried and tested.

Not so great things:

- The chrono is average at best and will not help you in assessing your speed or time if you are looking to improve lap time but will get the job done for more ordinary tasks. However, it does make the watch look more interesting and gives it a bit of character.

- Luminescence is average in the dark and could have been extended to the other markings.

On the whole, its a fairly versatile watch which will hold its own in most settings and would not look out of place at either a formal dinner or at a game.
on March 30, 2015
First off, this watch is strikingly beautiful! Second, it is unbelievable just how light it is from its titanium construction! I've had my expectations of it being light from reviews but it still blew my mind when I picked it up in person, it is feather light!! It is by far the most comfortable watch you'll ever wear! The titanium looks and feels awesome!

Some people have mentioned the date is hard to read. I sorta agree but it doesn't bother me at all. The few times I need to know what date it is, I usually bring my watch up close to look at it, it's not something I need to glance at from a distance throughout the day.

Only reason I gave it 4 starts instead of 5 is because it would be nice if it had a perpetual calendar. I noticed responses to other similar comments suggested it was user error, well, I can guarantee you it does not! Download the manual and look at it for yourselves. It says: "The date must be manually adjusted for months shorter than 31-days..."

One piece of advice: The bracelet links are pretty difficult to remove so you might want to have it professionally done instead of doing it yourself. I don't know what it is but it's different than your standard links. I know this because I was gonna buy this watch on amazon and also a link remover kit but I ended up buying this watch from Macy's (it was cheaper after all the sales and coupons at the time). The lady at Macy's tried unsuccessfully to size the band so she had to send me to the watch repair shop in the mall to get it done. Only took the watch repair guy a few minutes but the Macy's lady was at it for like 30 mins, lol!

Overall, the watch is of excellent quality, beauty, and value! I haven't been able to stop staring at it ever since I got it a few days ago! It looks/feels much more expensive than what it cost!
review image
on March 1, 2015
This is one of Citizens better Eco-Drive watches. It is made of lightweight titanium, making it extremely comfortable to wear. I don't need to go into details here - I defy anyone to wear this watch and find it uncomfortable! I have the version with the leather band which in my mind makes it slightly classier looking. This is also a true chrono watch. The large second hand does the timing, using the two buttons on either side of the crown to operate, (the small register at the six o'clock position has the regular seconds hand). The twelve and nine o'clock registers keep track of the minutes and hours during timing. A nice style detail is the squared corners to the bezel. Overall a fantastic watch.
on April 11, 2013
As some here have noted, this model comes with standard Titanium which scratches very easily.

If you look at it's twin model CA0021-53E you will find the same exact watch, except it is made with "Super Titanium" which is 5 times more durable then stainless steel.

Google that model number (CA0021-53E) and you will find many online Ebay and other locations selling it, I got mine for only $239 delivered.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...