5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Watch at a great price!
Love this watch! All black-plated stainless steal with charcoal gray numbers and dials that glow in the dark, however remain discrete in daylight. As are all Citizen's watches, this has Eco-Drive functionality and does NOT require a battery. I wear this watch to work with a button down long sleeve shirt and tie and have received many compliments! No complaints.
Published on February 23, 2012 by Chris Tennant

3.0 out of 5 stars Great looks, marginal durability
Published 10 months ago by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Watch at a great price!, February 23, 2012
Chris Tennant (Jacksonville, FL) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Great looks, marginal durability, March 13, 2014
This review is from: Citizen Men's CA0295-58E Eco-Drive Nighthawk Watch (Watch)
I love the way this watch looks and have gotten countless compliments on it. This is my first "higher end" watch (over $100) and while I do love the looks, I must say I am not impressed with the durability. Particularly the crystal face. Now I only wear this watch when I'm getting dressed up to go out, so maybe 2-3 times a month. I don't think I'm very hard on watched either, I've had the same $40 Timex for 5 years now that I wear to work everyday and it still looks almost new. It seems to me that this Citizen has a much softer face than my Timex. In less than a years time there are multiple, noticeable, scratches on it. One time I lightly bumped it off a table in a restaurant by accident and took a good size chunk out of the side bezel of the crystal.

I'm afraid to wear this watch out anymore. Plain and simple for the price I paid for it I would have expected something more durable. The rest of the watch still looks good, the black finish etc. but I'm one of those people who likes to keep my stuff looking brand new, so for me this was extremely irritating.

If your looking for something to keep in your collection and wear once every few years then this is the watch for you. If you are looking for something to wear everyday, and like me you get irritated when scratches seem to appear out of no-where I would look elsewhere.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice Watch but, the black finish fades away, July 11, 2013
This review is from: Citizen Men's CA0295-58E Eco-Drive Nighthawk Watch (Watch)
Very cool looking, all black watch but the black finish started coming off after 1 week of use. I expected better quality from a $300 watch.

2.0 out of 5 stars Band wear problem, March 30, 2013
This review is from: Citizen Men's CA0295-58E Eco-Drive Nighthawk Watch (Watch)
I generally like the Eco-drive concept and have a number of Citizen watches. All previous models have been sliver/chrome and this time I decided to try black. Watch, face and bezel are fine but the band paint, I honestly expected anodized aluminum or equivalent - something with wear resistance, began rubbing off with the first day of wear.

Took it to an "Authorized" Citizen repair facility within 30 days of purchase and was informed that Citizen does not warranty the band on any of their watches.

Note for those of us color challenged in the Red/Green spectra, we know who we are, probably not a good choice as the hands are very difficult to see in most lighting conditions.

Lastly, the date wheel is behind the solar cell and is so deep it is virtually unreadable. On previous models, it is white with black numerals and is much closer to the face thus relatively easy to read.

Best to avoid this and similar models for now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stealthy Head-turning... I know it sounds weird, November 19, 2013
This review is from: Citizen Men's CA0295-58E Eco-Drive Nighthawk Watch (Watch)
This watch is amazing. I have wanted this watch since I was a sophomore in college. After graduation I picked it up for a great price and wear it out everyday (including work). My biggest concern with this watch was the black finish on the band wearing down or scratching easily. I am an IT Professional that is constantly working on computer components and typing away at my desk. I have not had any issues with band wear yet (2 months).

The stealthy all black characteristic of this watch will catch eyes more often than you would think. I have had conversations with people where they are constantly looking at my wrist (meetings especially). I have gotten a handful of compliments on the watch within the first few months of use (my boss loves it).

Overall I am very satisfied with the size, weight, look, and durability of this watch. One of my best purchases.

1.0 out of 5 stars Paint comes off in less than 6mo, November 5, 2014
This review is from: Citizen Men's CA0295-58E Eco-Drive Nighthawk Watch (Watch)
FYI - I typically leave very good reviews - I am generous with my "stars."

I was so excited about this watch - I got it for my man and had it engraved without taking the back off so it would retain its warranty. It was great at first, and he wore it every day, but then after the first month all of the paint on the part that meets any surface under your wrist started to rub off (e.g. now as I am typing my wrist meets the table, it only experienced white collar use). Case in point I paid over $300 for a Citizen Nighthawk watch that, while the mechanics still work, is no longer wearable because it looks like garbage.

To Citizen - I am scathingly disappointed that when I called your warranty line about 6-7 months after my purchase to tell you that a significant amount of paint had come off as early as one month in, I was told that this is not considered a material defect and is not covered by the warranty (WHAT?!). This gift was precious to both of us because it was my first major gift to him, personalized and all, and apparently a $300 watch, according to Citizen, should be wearable for less than 6 months. What a darn shame - horrible corporate practices. I sincerely hope someone at Citizen sees this review and responds to correct the problem. He hasn't worn the watch in 3-4 months because its visual appeal is lacking, and I only bought it less than a year ago. What the heck, Citizen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont hesitate., November 3, 2014
This review is from: Citizen Men's CA0295-58E Eco-Drive Nighthawk Watch (Watch)
Super slick watch. Hundreds less on Amazon. It is half statement and half utilitarian. It is black on black on black so it is true that it proves difficult to read in the dark but at an angle I can still read it just fine. The compliments that you will receive will make you forget all about this shortcoming. Plus if you need to see the time in the dark, just pull out your cell phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC WATCH - Ignore irrational complaints about the band showing wear., December 16, 2013
This review is from: Citizen Men's CA0295-58E Eco-Drive Nighthawk Watch (Watch)
My wife purchased this watch for me as a gift and so far, I love it. I'm seeing some complaints about the paint wearing off of the band. Please. If you're afraid of that happening, don't bother buying another watch. EVERY watch I've owned over the past 30 years has had its share of wear and tear. It happens. Get over it. Are you going to stop driving your car because it gets rock chips in the paint from normal driving? No. You deal with it. It's something that you have no control over. I've got two other watches sitting on my desk, and what do you know? The bands both have a lot of visible wear on them. I get a lot of compliments on my watches. You know what people say about the band? NOT A THING. Why? Because no one looks, and no lone cares.

5.0 out of 5 stars Without a doubt I absolutely love my watch, December 30, 2014
This review is from: Citizen Men's CA0295-58E Eco-Drive Nighthawk Watch (Watch)
I bought my watch about a month ago and held of on completing a review on it until now. Without a doubt I absolutely love my watch! I do not have any regrets buying it even after reading some reviews indicating that it could be hard to read in the dark. To those comments all I can say is it's a black watch without a light what do you expect. The watchband is easy to size and most would be able to complete this task by themselves. If your unsure of your abilities there are videos available on YouTube to view.

The watch wears perfectly on my wrist. It's functions are simple. Powered by light you never need to worry about replacing batteries. I would buy another watch like this in a heartbeat. I highly recommend this watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch just too hard to read the watch hands in anything but bright light., July 23, 2014
This review is from: Citizen Men's CA0295-58E Eco-Drive Nighthawk Watch (Watch)
Great watch just too hard to read the watch hands in anything but bright light.

Citizen Men's CA0295-58E Eco-Drive Nighthawk Watch