4.0 out of 5 stars Sporty yet elegant winner
Published on June 20, 2011 by rnoel1962

I figured a solar-powered self-setting watch would be the very model of simplicity. On reading the lengthy instruction manual, and reviewing the accompanying DVD on how to set it, I had to conclude that the watch really is extraordinarily complicated.

Published 19 months ago by Eric A. Isaacson

4.0 out of 5 stars Sporty yet elegant winner, June 20, 2011
This review is from: Citizen Men's CB0013-04A World Perpetual A-T Watch (Watch)
Overall, I am very pleased with this watch. It has a very appealing look. Sporty, yet elegant, this could work as a dress or everyday watch. The rose gold casing, white face, and brown leather strap compliment each other well. My only complaint about the look is that the watch face is 43mm in diameter. Given I have small wrists it is a bit larger than I would like, but not so large as to be unwearable. That said, the slightly larger face makes it very easy to read the time and date. To finish up my thoughts on the look, the thickness (10mm) is reasonable and typical of many chronograph watches. The luminous hands make reading the watch in the dark easy as well.

Despite its size and the technology packed into this watch it is not too heavy. This combined with the leather strap makes the watch quite comfortable to wear.

Another major factor in selecting this watch was the Eco-Drive technology. I own both battery and auto-wind watches. The major issue of my battery-based watches is that they didn't provide good feedback about how much power was left in the batteries. I would be hesitant to bring battery powered watches on vacations, for example, as I was never sure whether they had enough power left. The auto-wind watches did solve the battery problem. But after the watch has been drained from lack of use, I found that when manually winding the watch and wearing it throughout the day, it would run out of power in the middle of the night. So the idea of never needing to worry about batteries or winding a watch was very appealing. This is my first Eco-Drive watch. After a week of ownership, I must say that the watch easily stays charged simply from everyday use. A few days after receiving the watch it was fully charged by the light from an office environment. This and the fact that it can be charged under a lamp for 40 minutes to obtain a day's worth of power convinces me that I will not be worrying about powering this watch.

I am also pleased that I will not have to worry about setting the time of this watch either. I live in the Boston area. Even with the radio signal originating in Denver, the signal is strong enough for the watch to pick it up. Between the Eco-System technology powering the watch and the receiver resetting the time each day using the radio signal, I feel this watch will be virtually maintenance free.

Although I am very pleased and excited about this watch I have have some minor complaints. As I mentioned previously the watch face was a bit larger than I would like. I've set enough about that already.

The indication of how much power is left leaves something to be desired. When you press the button to test how much power is left, it indicates that the power level is low by the second hand rotating 15 seconds counter-clockwise. A 2 second movement while the watch is running also indicates that the power is low and the watch needs charging. If is sufficient power the second hand points to the "OK" of the radio signal meter (after rotating 15 seconds counter-clockwise). There is no granularity indicating how much of a charge is left, just a low or not low indication. A better indicator would have been to utilize the radio signal gauge on the dial. The second hand could have been positioned to point to "OK" when fully charged, "No" when the power is low, and anywhere in between to indicate the percentage of power reserve left.

Another minor issue is that both buttons to perform various functions are recessed and small. You have to have something like a ball-point pen with you to press them. This means that you need to carry one around with you to test the power left, the signal strength, or initiate the time setting via the radio signal. They could have raised one of the two buttons for such functions and kept the other button recessed to initiate more dramatic and rarely required functions like the "0" reset, manual time set, etc.

When executing an "on demand" setting of the time by way of the radio signal, there is no indication that the procedure was successful. It would be better if, after successfully setting the time there was an audible indication (1 or 2 beeps) indicating success. The way the watch works now, either the new time is set upon success or the time is set back to its original time on failure.

As one can likely tell, none of my complaints is major. I am very pleased with this watch and am looking forward to many years of trouble free use.

5.0 out of 5 stars First class watch, June 22, 2012
This review is from: Citizen Men's CB0013-04A World Perpetual A-T Watch (Watch)
So yesterday afternoon I got my new Citizen CB0013-04A World Perpetual A-T Watch dress watch. The first thing I wanted to do was calibrate the time - which it does automatically every night at 2AM, or force a manual calibration, which I decided to try.
No luck (it will tell you if successful or not). I tried outside the house / inside by a window - nope. The directions said it's more susceptible to outside interferences during daylight hours.

So I figured, okay, I'm a hell of a long way (FL) from Colorado, let it do its thing during the night - and what do ya know - it worked!
It's nice to have a watch that charges itself (I now have three Citizens), sets its own time to the atomic clock every night, sets the date, daylight savings time and leap year all on its own, AND LOOKS IMPRESSIVE.
I couldn't be happier!

PS - How the watch syncs. A radio system in North America is set up and operated by NIST - the National Institute of Standards and Technology, located in Fort Collins, Colorado. NIST operates radio station WWVB, which is the station that transmits the time codes. WWVB has high transmitter power (50,000 watts), a very efficient antenna and an extremely low frequency (60,000 Hz).

5.0 out of 5 stars The watch band is the only thing wrong with it., October 24, 2012
This review is from: Citizen Men's CB0013-04A World Perpetual A-T Watch (Watch)
I prefer a stainless-steel snap-shut watch band, but what looks like a version with one of those seems available only from some seller in Japan that's often sold out and demands payment from the US be via Western Union. After about six months, the band (the description here says it's synthetic leather, the band itself has the word LEATHER on it and looks real) is badly worn on the inside, and should break in another six months or so. Apart from that, I have no complaints whatever. It gets the WWVB sync signal reliably in northern South Florida, where my Casio and before that Seiko watches wouldn't, and if I remember how to change the time zone (pull out crown to first position, watch the second hand move to city abbreviation corresponding to current setting, turn crown to put the second hand at the abbreviation corresponding to the desired zone, watch the hour hand move appropriately, push crown back in), it's the easiest atomic-clock-synchronized watch I have ever owned to adjust when I travel -- try doing this on either of my last two Casio watches (painful).

Usually I scratch a watch crystal within a week of wearing the watch, but this (sapphire?) crystal shows no signs of wear. The gold-colored ring around it is slightly nicked, but much less so than on the $100 to $150 watches I've bought up to now. Then again, this is a $300 watch.

I want a watch that synchronizes to WWVB, doesn't need a battery, adjusts easily to a different time zone, shows the time with three hands rather than some ugly digits, and holds up to abuse. This is it (and unfortunately there are few such watches out there and this may be the cheapest one). It's also quite attractive, goes well with casual or formal wear, and strikes a good balance between a high-tech and a retro look. There's a hint of steampunk with the second hand and some labels on the dial (rather than a little LCD) showing the user the watch's internal state -- although it's a bit of a pain to use a stylus or ballpoint-pen tip to press the little switches on either side of the crown and get that to work. (In practice I almost never need to do it.)

For me, this is very nearly what a wristwatch should be, almost my Platonic-ideal wristwatch made real.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy, daily worn, the best, August 27, 2012
This review is from: Citizen Men's CB0013-04A World Perpetual A-T Watch (Watch)
I simply LOVE this watch. I had another Citizen Eco-drive that was a white face/brown leather strap that didn't have the radio controlled feature and wore that as my daily UNTIL I couldn't resist and bought this beauty. Ever since it arrived from Amazon, the other has been sitting where I left it.

This is extremely elegant, simple, yet functional. I've been traveling a lot more often lately and the simple and intuitive time-zone change works flawlessly. I show it off every time my plane lands to whoever I'm sitting next to. haha

I've gotten many many compliments on this watch as well. The face is bigger than my previous, but it is relatively thin compared to other equally equipped watches therefore it is still a joy to wear. - I was going to buy another one just in case something happens to my current one.

At the price point of $299 on Amazon, you can't go wrong. I wear it every day for every occasion. I LOVE it!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Watch, July 30, 2013
This review is from: Citizen Men's CB0013-04A World Perpetual A-T Watch (Watch)
A month in, I remain extremely happy with my new CB0013. Once it was fully charged, it links up to the radio signal and keeps itself perfectly set. The case is beautiful - simple and elegant. I was a little worried about the face when looking at pictures, but in person I am very happy with it - very easy to read in all lighting conditions.

I have seen several reviews criticizing the band. It seems perfectly fine to me, if you like that style of band - which is to say it's a small leather band. The pin width on this watch is wider than normal, but the band tapers thinner at the buckle. For my aesthetic sensibilities the band is too small for this large-faced watch. The buckle is nice - it is solid and it matches the rose gold coloring of the case. But I don't like this style of band, which seems to be the way it is on almost all modern watches. It was always my intention to replace the band with a watch cuff from Old School Leather (I highly recommend these guys - they do good stuff). I used the watch for a month or so with the standard band - and it was fine. I don't see any sign of wear after daily use during that time.

I have another Citizen eco-drive that is over 15 years old and still going strong - I have no reason to believe that this newest one won't keep pace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I expected, August 2, 2013
This review is from: Citizen Men's CB0013-04A World Perpetual A-T Watch (Watch)
The watch arrived when promised and was as attractive as the pictures. It came with a CD that showed you how to use the various features and also how to set the watch properly. I started with the instruction book but became confused. The CD made it a piece of cake.

3.0 out of 5 stars not as complicated as its instructions suggest -- but really bulky, July 30, 2013
Eric A. Isaacson (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Citizen Men's CB0013-04A World Perpetual A-T Watch (Watch)

That's how it appeared at first. In truth, the basic points are fairly easy, and I'll be able to with relative ease reset the watch to different time zones when I travel. Why Citizen's instructions should make things seem so difficult is beyond me.

It's an attractive watch, and I really I like the solar-powered Eco-Drive technology, because I don't like having to replace batteries. That the watch regularly resets itself based on radio transmissions it pretty cool too.

The watch's greatest drawback is its size. It's the largest, bulkiest watch that I have ever owned. It gets hung up on the cuffs my shirts. Whether I can wear it on a given day depends on the shirt that I'm going to be wearing.

Were it a bit smaller, and a lot thinner, I'd love it. But it's not. And I don't.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good with this absolutely accurate watch, January 3, 2014
This review is from: Citizen Men's CB0013-04A World Perpetual A-T Watch (Watch)
I chose this watch because it had all of the features I wanted: more of a dress look rather than a sports watch, automatic synchronization with the atomic clock in Boulder, Colorado. sapphire crystal, leather band and Eco-Drive. While the face is a little larger than I wanted, I knew that before ordering. The weight is not overbearing. The directions were easy to follow in reseting it from its preset Pacific time to Eastern time, as well as checking the battery charge and synchronization signal. The watch tries to sync up with the atomic clock at 2 a.m., then at 3 and 4, if unsuccessful. I have a weather station that also synchs with Boulder, and both its clock and the watch stay together to the second. I registered online and got an extra year's warranty (from 5 to 6 years). So far so good after only a few days' use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch., October 31, 2013
This review is from: Citizen Men's CB0013-04A World Perpetual A-T Watch (Watch)
Just what i was looking for. A classy watch without a lot of frills, but not too plain that it looks ordinary. The face is a bit larger than I had expected, but it still works for me.

The automatic time set is a really cool feature and is fun to watch set itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely classic, September 5, 2013
This review is from: Citizen Men's CB0013-04A World Perpetual A-T Watch (Watch)
Just got the watch looks simply amazing. It is easily by far the best watch I have. Looks even better than in the pictures.