Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Citizen Cope
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$7.99

on December 30, 2004
When I heard "Sideways" on Santana's "Shaman" CD, I was immediately mesmerized by Greenwood's subtle genius. I picked up a copy of "Cope" and was ecstatic to hear a fresh voice in music - not the same old 'top ten' that commercial radio dishes out. I told everyone who would listen to it to buy it. It is important to purchase the music of new artists, otherwise record companies think no one is interested in their music and won't promote, encourage, or support future recordings. Greenwood is an incredible artist that everyone should hear. His music is poetry. It is visceral and palpable - not to be ignored or dismissed.
on July 10, 2004
i met citizen cope outside the old 930 club in dc about 8 years ago. he gave me a cd. it was good. i saw him playing in the backroom of some dive bar down the street from me a couple months later and he was intense. then i forgot about him. until i saw his name headlining a show at the Ramshead Tavern in Annapolis recently. i was suprised to see his name. i went. i was mesmorized. speechless for the entire set. i bought his cd at the show. i can't stop playing it. its in my car. i keep driving past my destinations because i don't want to stop listening. its real good stuff. its got a lot of feeling. like i said before, and let me say it one more time, its real good stuff. check out this guy play if the opportunity arises. i'm buying a few more copies to send to some friends to spread the word. he's got another cd coming out in september. i'll be first in line to get it. and keep driving.
on December 29, 2004
I use this CD as a way to calm down. As someone who listens to all kinds of music (mostly Disturbed and System of a Down), I find this one of my more relaxing cd's. Another review said it was perfect for traffic, I would have to agree. The songs have a catchy tune that just makes you want to nod your head and feel good.

I actually found this CD at a concert in Chicago. I was at the Metro for another concert that Citizen Cope opened up for and was just amazed at what I saw on stage. I bought the CD that night and had it signed. If you ever get the chance, this guy is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Take 10 minutes to chat with him.
on October 12, 2005
I enjoy pop music as much as the next person. And I enjoy many music styles (From Eminem and Big pun to My chemical romance and Foo fighters.) I heard "Son's gonna rise" in a pontiac commercial and it stuck in my head til it got to the point where I had to find out who sang that song. So after some searching I found out his name and I was happy with the results. He is a change of pace from other acts and whatever "type" of music he makes it sounds good and he has lyrical content behind the the catchy beats and easy, "marbles in the mouth" delivery.
on June 1, 2002
I first heard Citizen Cope at the 2002 HFStival at RFK Stadium in DC on May 26. He was on the street stage but I believe he should've been on the main stage because he is so good. My sister heard him a little bit the day before and fell in love with him and his music. That's when she said I have to check him out. So I did and I thank her for opening me up to his music. It can get you pumped up, make you happy, calm you down and feel mellow. I love this whole album. My sister bought a copy of his cd at HFS and plays it all day long. I love this album above all the rest. He does sound a bit like Everlast but there is just something about his voice that just draws you in. I'd say there's a bit of jazz, raggae, rock, r&b and pop in this album. It's the best mix of musical styles I've ever heard. Take a chance and buy this album!! It'll be worth it!!
on February 7, 2003
I don't know why I bought this cd last year and I still have no idea why to this day, but I can tell you honsetly that I do not regret it. It's a close second to the CD I thought was the best of 2002 which, to me at least, is a very good thing. It's really kind of hard to categorize Citizen Cope since he's seemingly everywhere genre-wise on this disc, but I'll say Rock/Soul is what it most sounds like. Great stuff, DreamWorks, so far, has put out some rather top notch stuff. (Nelly Furtado, Floetry, Citizen Cope).
Best tracks include:
13. Holdin' On
hidden track
14. Mandy
on December 7, 2013
The whole album is contiguous in style and thematic. An interesting voice and tale in many respects. He has some New Orleans in his voice, beholding to Doctor John. The music is a blend of styles, earthy. Songs emblematic of his style across this album are CONTACT and HANDS OF THE SAINTS
on July 1, 2002
After passing by this disc in my local record store and hearing good things about it. I found it used, listened to it and bought it. What i found was that it didnt to me sound like whitey, but more in the vein of g.love or jack johnson. Not that i dont like whitey but just doesnt sound comparable. He has a real laid back flow, and a sound that grows on with every listen. This whole disc is consistant musically. definitly rasta friendly
on July 29, 2013
I think this is a really good CD. This musician does such a great job mixing jazz, funk, contemporary, rap mix with really interesting lyrics! His songs are all different and interesting and rich as well as the variety of brass, drum and string instruments.Love his music...He is so cool!
on May 5, 2007
You can search your whole life (as some of us have) and never find music with as much depth and passion as there is here on Cope's first album. This music can and never will get old because like all great things in life, it will become a part of you from the very first second that you hear it. Citizen Cope is a truly unique and magnificent artist who presents his remarkable understandings of the world and the people in it with so much honesty, wisdom and beauty. This album is part narrative, part poetry and there are about 10000 different themes that all meld into a cohesive and unbelievably mellow vibe that will completely capture you.

Some of the songs will have you straight groovin, like the sort of hip-hop/rocker "Let the Drummer Kick," and some, like "Teresa," "Salvation," and "Holdin' On" will seriously make you want to cry because they are just that gorgeous. Not all of the tracks are perfect, but they each hold a little piece of Cope's spirit, which shines through this album like a the big, bright star that he is. I could literally talk about this artist forever, but words are so trite in comparison to the magic of his music. Buy this album, or The Clarence Greenwood recordings...there's no way you will regret it.