5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite watch!
Published on April 17, 2006 by Eric Townsend

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice looking watch
I had looked at this watch at neighborhood stores and liked it as soon as I saw it. Its a large watch, which I was looking for.I debated with myself for some time trying to decide if I should get the one with the black face or the one with the light face. Since I have a nice seiko chronograph with a black face, I decide to go for the other one. These are the things that I...
Published on July 31, 2006 by Thoreau Russ

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite watch!, April 17, 2006
Eric Townsend "Eric Townsend" (Post Falls, ID United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mens Citizen Eco Drive Calibre 2100 Watch in Stainless Steel (AV0031-59A) (Watch)
I am a collector of watches, to my wife's dismay... But, this is a beautiful watch that I am very proud to own. This is my third Citizen watch (among many others), but my favorite of the bunch. It is a bit on the thick & heavy side, but that is what I was looking for; something with substance. The luminescent hands are very bright and long lasting. The watch takes a good amount of sunlight to fully charge, but even in a partially charged state, it works just fine. Once fully charged, it rarely, if ever moves off of the fully charged indicator.
I have the stainless steel band and it has proved to be durable and attractive. The titanium is tougher but has a satin finish rather than a glossy finish.
I tend to be hard on my crystals and so far, so good. This one has a flat, hardened crystal and looks great.
Get this one, you will love it! Amazon has a great price on it and Citizen stands behind their products.

UPDATE: 10/17/2011
I am still wearing this watch! The only indications of wear on this is the bottom of the band and the clasp; there are scratches, but I see this as normal given how much I wear it. The titanium watch might fare better in this area. The crystal is still smooth and clean and all functions of the watch are good. So, just to post a long-term follow-up saying that I still love this watch and it is working as well now as on day one!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Watch, October 1, 2009
I am writing this review as a long term user of this watch. Those who have reviewed it after only a few months of ownership cannot have a long term perspective. I am going to try to fill that gap for those who wonder if the watch will last in the long run.

I bought my ECO Drive Caliber 2100 at a local jewelry store about 5 years ago. I love watches but I'm not a collector. But, I do have small drawer full of working watches. I have worn chronograph type movements, including analog quartz, digital, and automatic mechanical, exclusively for over 30 years. I buy a new watch about every 5 years whether I need one or not. I did not need this one but I could not resist. It is flat beautiful, better in person than in the photographs. The detailing of the dial is up to the best around. It has very subtle details that keep me looking at it often. I still think it is amazing.

I tend to be hard on watches. I do a lot of hobby type work and often I forget to take the watch off-a bad habit. This has lead to scratches on the crystal but the case is unmarked. I agree with others that a sapphire crystal would improve the watch. The stainless steel band is high quality and has proven strong. It does have a few scratches, though. Since I wear the watch every day, I guess it is natural that the back will collect scratches and mine has.

Functionally, this watch has been perfect. I have had zero problems. It has never been serviced but service is due. Time keeping is great. I only set it when the time changes. The chronograph works great but it does not do lap times. Not a great loss for me. The alarm does not get used much because the sound is so weak. The dial illumination lasts through the night. My old eyes sometimes have a hard time seeing the fine markings on the chrono dials depending on the light. Usually, this is not a problem but I wish the markings were a little bolder. The Date Window is set rather deeply into the dial face and is small. Often, I have to adjust the light angle to see the date. This is not usually a problem but it is something I would change. Setting the end of month date is easy because the first detent on the crown moves the date indicator only. There is no need to reset the time. This is a very nice feature. Other than the occasional splash of water when doing things around the house, I have not challenged the water resistant specification. So far, water has not been a problem.

Battery charge works very well. During daily normal use (I have an indoor job), the charge indicator never moves off full charge. A few months ago I bought a new Casio digital and put the Citizen aside for about 4 months in very reduced lighting. The charge indication went down to about 1/2 charge. The watch continued to keep perfect time. Eight hours in bright light brought the indicator up to full charge where it has remained as I again wore it daily. This is very impressive performance, indeed.

Others have commented on the weight and size. It is heavy. It is large. My wrists are large and this is not a problem. The fit is fine. Smaller wrists may not work as well with this watch. As for the weight, it does seem heavy if you pick it up. But, when I am wearing it I don't notice the weight. I have tried the titanium model and I like it. I may buy one.

All in all, this is the best watch I have owned. It is accurate, convenient, versatile and rugged. Did I say it is beautiful? It looks much more expensive than the selling price. I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Calibre 2100 is great, February 22, 2007
P. Houston (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This watch is gorgeous! I sized it as soon as it arrived and put it on before hitting the door to catch a plane. The bracelet is beautiful too. Just be careful when adjusting the links . . . there's a sleeve for the link pins that has to be put back in to get the pins to stay in. All of the dials are easy to read. I like the size and weight of the watch too. The Eco Drive is a great feature, no winding and no special case needed as with the automatics . . . just expose the watch to light and it keeps going. The meter to show how much reserve power is in the batter is good for letting you know when it's time to give the watch some sun.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original White Panda Face Calibre 2100! - Accept NO Substitutes!, May 15, 2013
Olaf Johnson (Anchorage, AK 99505) - See all my reviews
1. Definitely not the cute Boyfriend Watch that your girlfriend would wear:

If the essence of the male species were to be captured in one watch it would be this brolic, robust chunk of white steel famously known as the Calibre 2100. The package does indeed carry a lot of heft for it's size. So much so that when you first pick it up it will feel like the weight of its retail price in nickels (that is $595 in nickel coins by the way). But it is a good solid build that you will grow on you and that you can wear comfortably all day long whether stuck at an office desk or working in the outdoors all day. Compared to the biggest watch in my collection, the 46mm Chrono Time AT BY0000-56L, this 44.5mm sized Calibre 2100 feels twice as heavy when you pick both watches up at the same time.

2. Discussing overall quality:

The design quality is extremely well done and in fact I read an old online article from 2006 stating that the advent of the Calibre 2100 series was one of Citizen's first progression into using better materials for their watches as well as heralding the expansion of the Eco-Drive technology for all their watch movements.

The quality of the lume (luminous phosphorescent)is also second to none. It is bright needing only a few seconds of sunlight to glow in a partly sun lit room. If you need it to shine thru the night just expose it in a few minutes of sunlight. I have never seen a better, more consistent, lume.

However, my praise stops short at the design quality. By contrast the build quality is a love/hate relationship for any 2100 owner. The USA/North American market's Stainless Steel/Mineral Crystal AV0031-59A 2100 watches are prone to show visible scratches even after the slightest wear. The steel bracelet and clasp picks up scratches easily and the mineral crystal glass WILL scratch if you are not careful.

I always wrap my stainless steel clasp in clear scotch tape to keep it from scuffing against my office desk when I'm working long hours at the computer.

Citizen does have several better quality European and Asian market White Panda Face 2100 versions. Notably the AV0030-60A (also called the AV0030-51A) that has Sapphire Crystal on Stainless Steel cases and bands. Then there is the ultra rare AV0020-55A that has both Sapphire Crystal on polished Titanium case & band with Carbide Coating.

In the USA and North America those are rare market versions of the 2100 and obviously will cost more to buy online shipped from overseas but if you get an opportunity to order one of those from overseas online from a reputable seller, even if it is $200 more than the sale price of the steel/mineral 2100, then jump on it quickly.

For those of us already stuck with a AV0031-59A don't despair. Some North American Citizen Service Centers, at the time of this writing, will replace your AV0031-59A's Mineral Crystal with Sapphire Crystal glass for around $69 to $100 (pricing depends on which center you use, when you use the service and your location). This Sapphire replacement service is NOT a warranty service but replacement of a scratched Mineral Crystal glass with new Mineral Crystal glass 'may' be a free warranty service. However at the time you are replacing a broken or scratched Mineral Crystal glass UNDER the free warranty they 'may' upgrade to Sapphire for a discounted fee or free if you ASK.

I have used Citizen Service Centers on many occasions since 2006 and I have found that is always best to call your service center, be as friendly as possible and ASK for what you want. Usually they are super friendly and will work with you in making you a happy customer. Still NOTE that Citizen Service and Warranty terms are always subject to change and what I am writing here is ONLY true at the time of this review (May 2013) and can change or cease all together in the future.

Another thing that gets scratched easily but CANNOT be replaced is the polished bezel frame that surrounds the crystal glass. My service center said it could not be replaced and that they could not (or rather would not) polish the scratches out. So keep that in mind when buying used 2100 watches. A scratched Mineral Crystal glass and scuffed bracelet can be replaced but you can't replaced that scuffed polished bezel ring.

That said, I'm on my second AV0031-59A 2100 watch. My first one purchased in May 2011 immediately got scratched on the glass because I had no idea of the sensitivity of the mineral crystal and was not careful. I replaced the mineral crystal at the Hurley Service Center in Atlanta GA but found out the scratched bezel ring was irreplaceable so sold it off in May 2012 to buy my current AV0031-59A 2100. Since I've been careful with the crystal I have not had any damage on it so far.

3. Discussing the 2100's face:

Compared the all the 2100 series the white color panda face dial is by far the easiest to read at a glance. It is the least busy and cleanest in design. There is not much to say. The main hands are hour, minute, and fly back-chronograph seconds with the red arrow being the alarm location (when the hour hand enters the red arrow the alarm chimes). The sub dials are 3 o'clock for the chronograph minutes, 6 o'clock for the time keeping second hand and 9 o'clock for the chronograph hours (yes this guy does up to 12 hr chrono which is amazing) with the massive 12 o'clock sub dial displaying the current solar charge situation.

4. Discussing the functionality of the Calibre 2100's E210 movement:

The e210 movement's main feature is the powerful sweeping fly-back chronograph. Pressing button A starts and pauses the chronograph. Pressing button B, after button A pauses it, resets the chronograph. The chronograph can record up to 12 hours which is a feature unique to this movement.

The e210 movement also has an alarm chime and a date window. It is not perpetual calender movement and will need to be adjusted every month depending on if the month has 31, 30, 28 or 29 days. There is a massive sub dial for power reserve indicator and a passive Tachymeter scale framing the entire face. Everything works as should and all the movements are spot on accurate.

Because of it's ease of use and readability, I have found that the e210 movement is more of an everyday working watch than a specialist watch or a passive dress piece. The chronograph is useful for sporting events, productivity tasks or activities where one is tracking or timing something for periods longer than the basic 60 minute limit your get with regular chronographs. I could see the e210 movement being a perfect compliment to any profession where keeping tabs on activities lasting more than an hour is vital.

5. What I would change:

I am not a fan of the steel bracelet. The bracelet linkage on the 2100 is a clunky, chunky and rattly affair.

On hot days the steel bracelet can feel cumbersome and often times at the end of a tedious work day I find myself removing the watch to let my wrist breathe and relax. Similar to taking off heavy work boots and putting on flip flops or tennis shoes for the long drive home after work.

I wish the links were closer spaced, a bit wider (24mm instead of 23mm) and slightly thinner (like it is on the BY0000-56L's bracelet). The bracelet on the Calibre 2100 watches are NOT interchangeable with leather/fabric straps or other bracelets.

A major unexpected issue that many first timers will have is with the removable links using the sleeved style pins that make bracelet size adjustment impossible without a proper watch tool (you can easily buy one off eBay from 99 cents and up) or a skilled watch technician nearby (most watch shops or sellers will re-size the bracelet from free to around $5.00).

When attempting to adjust the bracelet and the sleeved pins are pushed out the miniscule sleeves detaches from the pin. These tiny sleeves serve as friction devices holding the pins firmly inside the link holes. Without the sleeves the naked pins will just slide out of the link holes and the bracelet falls apart.

The issue is that once you remove a pin and the sleeve comes off that pin it is impossible (as far as I can tell) to put the sleeve back around the pin without advanced watch tools.

That is if the miniscule sleeve didn't already roll off your table top and already got lost . These sleeves have a tendency to disappear once you start pushing your pins out.

The ONLY way I found to reuse a naked pin is to bend the pin slightly in the middle so it holds in place when inserted back into the linkage hole.

Overall I would have preferred the much easier to use self locking V (wedge) style pin that go in and out of the linkage holes on their own.

That said, the one positive here is the bracelet clasp has a 3 range micro adjustment extension or retraction for making the bracelet slightly bigger or smaller. Micro adjustments can easily be done with a pen tip, paper clip, safety pin or similar object.

Third gripe: For the retail price of $595 I would expect Citizen to use Sapphire Crystal in the USA models.The Mineral Crystal glass will scratch if you are not careful. Also the matte steel bracelet and clasp picks up bruises and scuffs easily compared to other steel clasps I've worn. Furthermore the shiny caseback also scratches and fades away overtime from normal wear.

Finally (and this is not my personal gripe but it should be noted here) the Alarm Chime is not loud at all. It is more of a light reminder-chime than a loud, wake-me-up-alarm chime. I didn't buy this for an alarm clock but I expect many souls will see the alarm/chronograph stamped on the box description and plunk down $595 expecting to be awoken from this watch. They will be very disappointed. For me I have a $5 alarm clock in my bedroom and a 99cent alarm clock in my travel kit to wake me up so I don't expect wake up duties to be held by my wrist watch.

6. Final word:

If there is one watch that you will buy in a 10 year period that you will find extremely hard to flip or part with it would be this Panda Face Calibre 2100 series. It is a timeless piece of business in terms of design and performance quality. It is also easy to wear as a day to day watch going with just about every get up from business attire to sports wear to beach wear, etc... I've seen wedding pictures with Panda Faces clinging to the groom and I've seen this watch countless of times at the gym. That lets you know the 2100 is all about the business and not just about the show.

Get the Sapphire Crystal AV0030-60A(or AV0030-51A) version or call your Service Center and get the Sapphire Crystal upgrade and you will be very happy in doing so. Also the resale values of a used condition AV0031-59A 2100 with or without Sapphire are off the scales. These watches keep a decent value even though Citizen USA still carries this very same original panda face 2100 on their website today and you could still buy them online or brick and mortar retail. Still buyers and eBayers hunger after used 2100s as if these watches are rare discontinued items.

Now that tells you when a watch has a good demand value. Get one and you will be happy!

4.0 out of 5 stars A true man's watch!, November 29, 2007
With a lot of heavy hinting to my wife, I received this watch for Christmas last year. It truly is a man's watch! Big, thick, heavy, eye-catching face and large buttons and knobs. It wasn't difficult for me to choose between the stainless steel and the lighter titanium model. To me, the stainless steel is certainly more attractive due to easier to read face and the shinier finish.
I know some other reviewers commented on the weight of this watch being an issue. But a watch like this SHOULD be heavier. Come on, no watch is so heavy that it can be deemed a hindrance to your normal movement or fatiguing!
I've just started collecting watches and, I have to say, this one is still my favorite. It's versatile enough to wear casually or with formalwear. Either way, it's a great conversation piece since I've gotten many compliments on my wife's good taste in men's watches (wink)!
The reason I rated this four stars instead of five is that the glow-in-the-dark dial does not glow for long. Forget about reading the time if you've been in a theater for an hour or so.
But still, a great watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, April 25, 2007
D. Miller (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
I have owned this watch for a little over a year now, and I can say that it is one of the best I have ever had the opertunity of owning. It is a little large, but I was able to get use to the size and weight rather quickly and now it is my favorate watch.

All in all and exclent buy here at Amazon. I got mine from a department store and paid full MSRP($500) but I do not regret it at all. The only issue I have had is now I want to buy more watches (I'm now up to three including this one).

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a watch you can depend on!!, August 1, 2008
C. Inman (Tampa, Fla USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased my watch back in October 2005, so my watch and I are about to celebrate our 3rd anniversary together. I loved this watch as soon as I set eyes on it and I still love it today!! I have had zero problems with this watch and I wear it everyday. I have other watches...but they pale in comparison to this one. It is big and heavy and that isn't a bad thing! This watch functions as a great work watch, great play watch and looks so good it is a wonderful dress watch. I have received so many compliments on it...primarily from other men. Now, let's talk durable...did I mention that I spend part of my time in Haiti? Haiti is a country where if anything is going to last it has to be durable and built well. I work there as a missionary and humanitarian worker and I find myself in all kinds of situations and environments. Once again, zero problems with this watch. I have smacked the crystal on this watch hard enough that I thought it certainly broke on a few occassions...other than a few light scratches on the crystal it is no worse for wear! If there is anything I would respond negatively about with this watch is the alarm is difficult to hear (sounds kinda like a chirping cricket really far off) but to be honest I seldom use that feature.
I could go on and on but I think you get the idea...this watch is potentially the best I have ever owned and would certainly consider purchasing another Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 2100 watch in the future.
****Update***Well, today is September 2, 2009 and my Eco-Drive is still running strong. My watch and I have been together for four years now with zero problems. It has survived more time in the mountains of Haiti as well as continual day-to-day use...and yes I still love this watch. I have other watches, but needless to say they really don't get any use. Dependability doesn't even begin to describe this watch. If you are looking for a rugged, handsome watch...this is it!!
****Update***Today is December 9, 2010 and my Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 2100 watch is still as awesome as ever. This year, as all years, this watch was with me in earthquake striken Haiti. If you thought conditions were difficult before...it is beyond your worst nightmare now. My Citizen performed, and continues to perform, flawlessly. It has some scrapes and a couple of light scratches on the crystal...but considering the conditions this watch has been subjected to...it is holding up remarkable. I seriously wear this watch everyday; don't get me wrong, I have other watches, but they just don't see the light of day any longer. This watch has never failed to maintain a full charge for the five years I have owned it. It has been submereged in water, dirt, and less than favorable conditions...no problems. If you want a watch that is built like an tank, then the Citizen Eco-Drive AV0031-59A Calibre 2100 is what you are looking for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Besides my kids the best present I've ever gotten., December 12, 2009
I cannot count the number of times people have stopped me in mid-sentence once they see me wearing this watch and compliment me on it. People I know with watches 5 times the retail price of this watch have asked me the model number so they can go get one. Functionally the watch is very sound. I have literally smacked the crap outta this watch and cringed before looking at it, but each time it's just as gorgeous as before. I've hurt my wrist before I've hurt this watch. BY all means don't go whacking the holy hell out of it, I'm just sayin'. The band on it looks great and I find the "weight issue" some folks complain about to be comforting to me and gives me a sense that it's better constructed than some feather light slab of junk. If you're complaint is that you need to manually adjust the date some months then go buy a $12 Casio with a calculator on it and be done with it. This watch will turn heads by folks who even know a thing or two about decent watches. You can throw this thing in a drawer for 2 months and it will still be running off the old charge before you stored it. Even if it does run all the way down just set in under a lamp for a while and you're good to go. THe white face isn't really white it's a patterned swirly type of deal that's pretty nifty. The contrast of the black inner dials really set the whole thing off. Uber swank. This watch looks like you dropped a grand on it easily. It makes me smile every time I wear it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best watch built per dollar spent, August 6, 2010
Purchased this watch in 2005 and must say it has been on my wrist ever since. I have a few watches, but this takes the cake. If you want a decent size watch that may weigh more than the regular watch and can stay on your wrist where ever you go then this is the watch for you. I snorkle and swim in the Southern California oceans and never take this off.

I get more attention to the watch then I do, rarity!!! But those folks that have the same watch or even the titanium version, I notice afar and still to this day can be seen a block away....it's a great family of folks that own this watch!

The great thing is the solar power (no batteries) and the stop ticker (it looks like the "seconds had". However having the watch for OVER 4 YEARS here are the problems that I see. The glass scratches (you can replace at any watch store - $20 bucks to order and another $20 to $40 bucks for labor), the stop ticker when pressing in the gauge button on the right side of the watch, it tends to not start/stop (I have to push down with a slight torque to get going/stop). The calendar date needs to be adjust month to month based on the days in the month. The alarm clock I don't use, never have....it sometimes goes off accidentally.

The pro's, women and men love this watch, you will get asked to show your watch more than a handful in the short lifetime of owning. I've adjusted the band a few times and the links never fail or break.... The watch actually changes colors, when outside and come back in, it has a "glow" to it, a plantinum look...cant describe, but is an amazing feeling to see this magic occur on my wrist!

I will be purchasing my second Citizen (Titanium) soon! But te only down side I see to the Titantium to the silver is that the silver shines like nothing I have ever seen!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a watch! - Updated, May 3, 2009
M. Kimball (Washington State) - See all my reviews
I had initially seen this watch a few years ago and thought it was awesome then. Only after my Seiko Chronograph kicked the bucket after 10 years did I decide it was time to find a new watch that hopefully will last me as long. This is that watch.
When I took it out of the box, that old saying it is better in person, is so true. The watch is just flat out impressive. Even my wife who isn't a watch person couldn't help but smile and say what a nice watch she thinks it is. Now let's get technical. Being that I live in the Pac-NW we at times don't get much sun light. Fortnately, right after I purchased my watch we had 3 good days of sun light and that is all it took for the power meter to hit full charge and it hasn't moved since. The watch keeps time impecably and I can't help but look at it over and over. The chronograph is fantastic and I love how it "clicks" like and old hand held chronograph when you start it. The alarm is great too and yes, it does wake you up when you need it too. I've only had the watch for a month now but I know 10 years from now this watch will be the one on my wrist.
Update: After having the watch for about 3 months I'm sad to say I've already noticed scratches on the crystal. Citizen really should put a sapphire crystal on the watch. I'm researching for availability. Fortunately the cost of a sapphire crystal is only $100. Oh, well, I love the watch.