5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, versatile, and no battery required!
Published 21 months ago by Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars handsome watch
Published 17 months ago by ellen hayden

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, versatile, and no battery required!, March 4, 2013
This review is from: Citizen Women's EW1569-01E "Eco-Drive" Rose Gold-Tone Stainless Steel and Brown Leather Watch (Watch)
I had always had Timex watches before I bought this Citizen Eco-Drive watch because Timex watches were inexpensive and reliable. I replaced the battery on my own so I wouldn't have to pay for the service, but buying and replacing the battery was a hassle and I ended up scratching the back up pretty badly. I'm a big environmentalist, so when I learned about Citizen Eco-Drive watches, I was intrigued, but kept my Timex. Then, one day, my watch's battery slowly died while I was at the store. I didn't realize my watch had fallen behind, so I didn't realize the time and I missed the last bus of the day. I had to call my roommate to pick me up. Irritated at my watch's battery failure, I decided I had to try out Citizen Eco-Drive.

I chose this watch because it seemed a good marriage of form and function. I wanted a pretty dress watch that would allow me to tell time easily. I was delighted when my watch arrived in the mail (the box it comes in is recyclable!). It looks just as it's pictured and the face is large and easy to read. The gold hands on a black background, white tick marks, and large Roman numerals make the watch easy to read at all angles, even with moderate glare. The leather band fits my petite wrist (I'm 5'3" and 115 lbs), with holes to spare for larger and smaller wrists. The band was very stiff at first, but is more comfortable after some breaking in.

When I first took the watch out of the box, it wasn't running. I left it under a window, and, after a few minutes, it started to tick! Setting the time and date was straightforward. According to the manual, the battery should be able to run at least 6 months on a full charge. In bright sunlight, the the solar-powered battery will fully charge in 11 hours. On a cloudy day, the battery will take 40 hours to charge. Under a lamp, it takes 130 hours. If the battery runs low, the watch warns you by having the second hand jump in 2 second, instead of the regular 1 second, increments. I haven't seen this in action, as I'm a bit obsessive about charging. I leave the watch under a lamp or window whenever I can conveniently do so. The manual claims that with regular use, the watch should get enough light throughout the day that you shouldn't need to intentionally charge it. This sounds plausible, as long as you don't work in a mine.

I've had the watch for a little over a month now, and I'm very pleased with it. I wear it with casual and dress clothes. The watch and band seem pretty durable. No scratches on the face yet, even though I wear it every day and have banged it a few times. A couple scratches on the back somehow, but I think I'm rather tough on my watches. The watch comes with a limited 5 year warranty, so we'll see if I have to use it.

3.0 out of 5 stars handsome watch, June 17, 2013
Everything about this watch is perfect except for one thing--you can't always read the time. The face is too dark for the rose gold numbers, so in very bright light which reflects on the face or in low light, you can't tell the time. The larger sized-face is perfect--I exchanged this watch for the same model with a white face which functions perfectly for me. My only other disappointment is that the watch face is thick. 8mm means it stands out quite a bit from your arm. But I love the ecco drive. It keeps perfect time!
By the way, when you scroll down on the more detailed product information, it says there the band is "synthetic leather", even tough the info next to the image says leather. It is, indeed, leather, made in Thailand. It's quite nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful watch!, February 20, 2013
This watch is very versatile and comfortable - I wear it with everything! I was concerned the gold would have a pink tone but it does not. The rose gold is more neutral than my other Citizen's regular gold tone (yellow gold) watch. After receiving this watch, I tossed most of my battery operated watches - wish I had known about eco-drive or solar watches sooner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift, May 15, 2013
R. Barbour (Central Florida) - See all my reviews
This watch was selected by my husband for my Mother's Day gift, and I was so happy with it. I like the large face on it, not only for being able to see it well, but that it is in style. He has a Citizen watch as well, so we are two happy "Citizens".

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, April 3, 2013
The watch is well made, small and stylish and requires zero maintenance. Exactly what I was looking for. I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars just the right size, April 27, 2014
Patsy C (Westlake Village, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Some of today's watch styles are too large for my small wrist. This one is a good size, and the face is easy to read. The only thing I don't like about it is the date square -- much too small.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Size, April 3, 2014
I hemmed and hawed over what Citizen Eco-Drive watch to get and finally decided on this one. I'd seen the other color (white face with silver and black) in the store so I knew I liked the size and design. This particular watch is even better in person. The rose gold, black and dark brown go together so well--could not be happier with this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this watch, February 8, 2014
Very beautiful and elegant watch. The case is thin and the size fits my wrist. The leather watch strap is soft.
I like eco-drive watch, there is no need to replace the battery. Really love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twin watches, February 2, 2014
We bought twins watches, one for me and one for my wife, for Valentine's day. But we are already wearing them. They are very fine and we like them very much. The roman numbers given then a distintive touch. I personally use it as me every day watch since looks fine with my every day clothing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect. That is all, January 28, 2014
I have no complaints. I love Citizen Eco drive because I don't have to bother with batteries. I usually buy chain linked watches because their easier but this one doesn't bother me. I usually like flashier watches but this one make a perfect understatement and I like that too.