4.0 out of 5 stars Very good with a few minor flaws.
Published on July 17, 2008 by Watch Nut

3.0 out of 5 stars Best On the Market - But Could Be Improved
Published on February 6, 2010 by R. Busse

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good with a few minor flaws., July 17, 2008
This review is from: Citizen Men's JY0005-50E "Eco-Drive Skyhawk A-T" Stainless Steel Watch (Watch)
I just got mine the other day. I own four other Citizen Eco-drive models. They've all been trouble-free and continue to function to this day. The oldest is an 8-year old titaniam diver model. I wanted this new Citizen because it's all black and it's atomic clock accurate. This is a huge watch, but seems to sit well on my smaller wrist. Resizing the band was a bit of a pain as the pins are rather hard to push out. Also, the band is not very flexible, so it doesn't fit as well on a smaller wrist. The one thing that really stood out to me was that the clasp on this watch is of much lower quality than my older citizens with metal bands. This one is made of stamped stainless steel. All my other Citizens have clasps made of thicker solid steel. The watch case itself is solid steel and appears very solid. However, the back is snap-on...eek! Citizen has really gone cheap here. I'd expect that a watch at this price level to have a screw-in back...not a snap-on like a Timex! All my previous Citizen's had screw-in backs. I know that the Japan-only titanium version of this watch has a screw-in back and a solid titanium clasp. This watch is coated black and only time will tell how durable it is. I suspect that eventually the black on the clasp will start wearing off since that's usually where most of the rubbing takes place. The crystal is made of mineral glass and is slightly domed, so at certain angles, you will get reflections. Overall, I love this watch because it looks great and is super accurate. I just wish that Citizen didn't cut down on the quality of the clasp and back to save a few bucks. One other annoying thing is that to access the various functions of the watch (calendar, countdown, chronograph etc), you have to pull out the crown and rotate it. A bit annoying if you use the functions a lot.

Pros:
- very nice looking watch
- fit and finish are top-notch
- bracelet is made from solid links. Not cheap folded metal.
- 200m water resistant
- bezel rotates smoothly
- picks up atomic clock signal in Japan, Europe and North America
- LCD display is backlit, so you can see it at night at the press of a button.
- Eco-drive a proven and reliable technology

Cons:
- cheap clasp
- snap-on back
- metal band not very flexible so if you have a small wrist, you might have large gaps on the sides of the wrist.
- black coating is not protected, so it will eventually wear off.
- crystal prone to reflections

3.0 out of 5 stars Best On the Market - But Could Be Improved, February 6, 2010
R. Busse (Camarillo, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this watch back in November. When I first received it, I was surprised with its weight when compared to the Casio Pathfinder Titanium that I also own. However, I've grown accustomed to the mass, and have been impressed by the durability of the black ion coating. My titanium watch is covered with scratches, and the Skyhawk's black coating hasn't received a single mark.

Agree with others - that this should be offered with a sapphire crystal, and this costs one star in my review. A retrofit is available from Citizen, with the part costing $45, so you would think that Citizen consider the marketing impact of not offering a sapphire crystal given that we are talking about a $500 watch here.

Sending the watch to Citizen costs approximately $100 for a crystal replacement (for crystal, a couple of bezel parts that have to be exchanged, and labor), and you have to be without your watch for a few weeks. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad that Citizen offers the service. Just wondering what the incremental cost of the sapphire crystal is when compared to mineral. If it were actually only $25 more for the sapphire (say $45 for sapphire and $20 for mineral glass), then you would think that they'd want to do away with all the hits they have in reviews by installing it in production. Many have dinged the Skyhawk A-T citing the ease with which the mineral crystal is scratched. It does protrude from the front face quite a bit, and seems very vulnerable. I protected mine with invisishield, but anticipate sending mine in for a sapphire crystal.

Second negative is that I wish Citizen would incorporate the U680 movement of the japanese market watch into the US version. I removed a second star for this oversight. It's really is annoying not being able to display the date in your current time zone. Citizen has fixed this in Japan, and it seems strange that they wouldn't want to address this for US market watches as well.

Comparing the functionality of my Casio to the Skyhawk, there are a few things that I miss - which causes to me to use both watches nearly equally. First is the apparent greater sensitivity of the WWV receiver in the Casio. Many nights my Casio receives an update when the Citizen does not. This when they are sitting side by side on our counter.

I wish that the Citizen had the hourly beeper function of the Casio. This helps me keep on time for appointments, and is a feature that I miss when using the Citizen.

Overall, I would still purchase the watch because the combination of functionality (solar, atomic sync and analog display) isn't available anywhere else in the market at any price. With a few minor adjustments, Citizen could have a real classic on its hands.

Another note - watch the Amazon price. It fluctuates quite a bit. I purchased mine in November for about 30% less than the current price. Wait until the price is back down around $400 and you can get the sapphire installed with the difference!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, but..., January 19, 2009
I bought this watch because I wanted a more stylish replacement for my Casio. It had to meet two important criteria:
1. It had to set itself atomically
2. It had to be self-powered.
This Citizen watch does both those things, and looks great doing it. It feels incredibly solid, and consequently is a very heavy watch. You might want to go to a jewelry store and try one on. It works amazingly well, sets itself just as advertised, and fits well (with a bit of adjustment at the jewelry store). I've had it for a few days now and it has only a couple of problems:
1. If you're left-handed, as I am, you'll have to take it off to reach the main stem to adjust some settings. Fortunately, you rarely have to do this.
2. For some inexplicable reason, the date setting is tied to the second clock. So, if you live in, say, Los Angeles, and you set the second clock to, for instance, Tokyo, the date shown will match whatever day it is in Tokyo, which is usually tomorrow. If there's a way to change it, I haven't figured it out. So, I have to have both time zones set to the same zone in order to see the correct date.
Other than that, this is an amazing watch, and unless you only value something like a Rolecks as a status symbol, this will feel great on your wrist.

Pros:
- Looks fabulous
- Sets itself
- solar powered
- a lot of dials look impressive
- a slide rule bezel
- battery gauge
- atomic sync in USA, Europe and Japan
- Incredibly solid feel

Cons:
- Not very lefty-friendly (but what watch is, really?)
- Date inexplicably connected to second clock

Update: At this point, I've had this watch for 2 years and 9 months. In that time, I'd say it's been about 95% reliable in setting itself. Also, I don't go outside much, but the power meter has only once dipped below 3/4, and leaving it outside one day fully charged it. No scratches on the crystal, but a little of the black has come off the wristband. I'm still extremely pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skyhawk soars.!!, March 20, 2012
I am a watch collector, preferably chronographs by far. Rolex, Breitling, on the high end, and some mere mortal watches, as well. This is my 3rd Citizen, and I have been pleased with them all, especially this one. This is the 3rd generation Skyhawk, and Citizen has removed most (if not all) of the bugs and complaints. The reliablility has been better than some of the timepieces that cost 10 times the price or more.! Both of my high-end models have seen the shop, the Citizens just keep on keeping time spectacularly!

First, the look. Well sized, it looks like a large watch, but really isn't THAT big. The light weight (for it's size) makes it a lot less tiring on the arm and wrist. The construction is rock solid and you feel like you have a solid timepiece on your wrist. Hefty without being too heavy. It has a modernistic, clean, yet pilot/techno look with all the dials and gauges, a must for a chrono lover. The orange/amber coloring against the black background look superb and racy. Dials are legible, with improved lume and a backlight (albeit smallish) being upgraded from the 2nd generation. I opted for the black-ion version because my 2nd gen is titanium, and I didn't want to duplicate that (yet, anyway, but who knows??) here.

It took a few minutes to correctly go through the manual and guide and get the watch set up and programmed, but once it was, it is a pleasure knowing all I have to do from now on is to set it, no, it does that itself with the A-T feature, so all I have to do is put it on, or take it off.

There have been a few trade offs, like the lack of some cities listed in the clock array of the 2nd gen, and one less alarm, but to gain radio controlled A-T and the other features was well worth it, and most of those features have been changed, not removed.

What can Citizen do to improve this watch? I am sure every watch owner has his or her favorite feature or improvement to make to ANY watch, but it is mind blowing to imagine where Citizen goes from here. I have seen the new satellite based watches, but the designs do not speak to me as much as the Skyhawk does, they are not chronos and I don't see that they would be more accurate than this model. You could be picayune and say this watch could use a stronger backlight or more lume, but that is nearly everyone's complaint about some watch, somewhere all the time.

At inception, these watches were commanding nearly $1000.00, and today (3 years later) they can be found pretty regularly between $400-600.00 at retail, and every now and then a lot less at auction, (new and unworn), or from a site like Amazon. This watch has retired some of its' more expensive cousins, because the combination of form, function, technology and price make it a wonderful investment. Enjoy.!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm impressed, May 24, 2010
I have several other wall clocks using the NBS time signal (Atomic Time) and none do it as well as this watch. Within 200 mS or better as I measure it using both WWV and NTP. The solar charge capability is new and different (to me at least). I was worried in day 2 about it not showing a full charge yet, but all was well and full charge appeared later that day after being out in the sunshine.
I think the only thing they could have done better is use an even harder crystal. I've a few tiny scratches already, but I'm very hard on watch crystals.

5.0 out of 5 stars CITIZEN ECO-DRIVE A-T GREAT WATCH!, January 25, 2010
I purchased the Citizen Skyhawk a while back from a less than reputable dealer. Over a period of months, I noticed the battery was running down. Finally, the battery died, despite my best efforts to revive it. I sent the watch off to Torrance, CA for repairs. I included a brief description and expained the problem. I also enclosed a check for return shipping.
The folks at the Citizen Watch Co. of North America restored the watch and it is now running fine. In fact, better than ever. My check was returned, uncahsed. No charge for the repairs.

My only beef with this watch is that like so many watches with metal bands, you have to take it in for adjustment to size it. Otherwise, this is a splendid piece of technology.
I highly recommend this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Citizen stands behind their products, December 21, 2011
I have an older version of this watch, Skyhawk Black Eagle, and I love it. After 4.5 years, something happened to the Eco-Drive and the watch went dead. I sent it to the Citizen repair center in CA and they replaced the whole movement under the 5-year warranty, no charge. I'm very happy with their support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not in the least bit disapointed., December 20, 2011
I've owned this watch for about five years and the only significant blemishes are to the glass. Though it has a few very tiny chips near the bezel and a half-dozen or so 0.5 cm scratches, the glass has been extremely durable considering it's seemingly vulnerable exposure. At first, I wore the watch on occasion. For the past three years, however, I've worn it daily; it's held up very well considering those past three years I worked as a mechanic for the Army. Receiving the majority of the abuse, the band is not damaged but worn. The black finish has begun to wear off (more so on the inside), but all functionality remains. Kay Jewelers, where I purchased the watch, provided me with a complete care and replacement plan for around $100. About a year ago, I considered having the glass and band replaced but decided against it as I came to admire the wear-and-tear in a nostalgic sense.

As for comments pertaining to the Citizen's lack of an hourly beeper and ability to display local time zone date, they are incorrect. I, too, missed these features... That is until I reviewed the DVD instruction manual. In this manual are instructions on how to activate both of these features, in addition to many more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, July 28, 2010
I bought this watch a few months ago and am very happy with the purchase.
I actually like the bulk of the watch; I have a small wrist but this fits well. The ion plated band has yet to scratch. The atomic time and solar driven features make this watch more convenient than most watches. The finish is excellent and I love the way it looks. The adjustment of the band is a little difficult but can be done independently; that would be my only complaint. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome piece of art, November 7, 2009
S. Mangha "Magnom" (Toronto, ON, CANADA) - See all my reviews
Honestly this watch just blows my mind...I have a lot of watches but this one is by far the most advanced watch i have...when i received the watch i opened the box..right when i removed the cover the watched turned it self on and set it self to the right time and date...I was very amazed...this watch is a must have.

Rate and Discover Movies