on December 3, 2009
There already exist many reviews on Amazon for this watch. Most of the reviews can be found in the non-Titanium, non-Blue-Angels models. I just need to add a couple things. (I own this Blue Angels Titanium model).

TITANIUM-SPECIFIC PART: The Titanium version is much lighter! I compared it against a stainless steel model. The difference is huge. I know what most guys are thinking, "unlike this reviewer, I'm a real man who can handle an extra ounce on my wrist." FYI I consider myself pretty athletic. But I appreciate not feeling the watch on my wrist most of the time. Bottom-line: it's a personal choice. Titanium is lighter, stronger, and personally makes me feel better about this watch. Stainless steel is cheaper and gets the job done.

NON-TITANIUM-SPECIFIC PART - WATER RESISTANCE: The product description says "water resistant depth: 660 ft". I bought this watch thinking I could take it for scuba diving. The face of the watch says "WR 200" and the backplate says "WR 20BAR". But if you look up the owners manual, both these terms actually mean you can only skin-dive (I guess that means snorkeling.) Scuba-diving with air tank is NOT ok for this watch.

CALENDAR: HUGE pain in the a** to use. The date is only displayed for world time, not local time. This means at those hours when the world city is a day ahead of or behind your local time, you cannot get an accurate reading of your local date. The only fix is to set the world time city as your local city, which defeats the purpose of the "World Time" feature.

IN THE DARK: This watch is great in the dark! The luminescent dials are very bright in the dark. Additionally, there is a backlight. Because Apollo powers this watch, I don't need to worry about the backlight shortening battery life.

This is my first Citizen and I LOVE it. Still, I'll give it four stars, because the awkward calendar could have been very, very easily avoided by just a slight amount of foresight in design.
--------------------------------------
SUMMARY

PROS: Titanium = strong + lightweight; Atomic accuracy - never needs setting; Easy to read in dark; Never needs battery replacement; Very good looking; Japanese quality at a fractional of the cost of Swiss antiquity.

CONS: VERY CLUMSY calendar function; Water resistance not adequate for scuba-diving; Most of the features that look cool have no practical use for most; Endorsed by Eli Manning - OH PLEASE!
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
First off, spring for the titanium version. It is well worth the extra money. I was unsure until I put it on my wrist. Wow, what a difference! At the very last minute, I decided to order the titanium version (mostly because the SS version was not available from Amazon it came from another seller) and am I ever glad I did. I "thought" that I wanted my watches to be heavy and thus would be OK with the stainless version but I was most certainly wrong. The titanium version is so lighteweight it is like nothing else I own. It is a pleasure to wear.

Also, contrary to what has been posted by another reviewer, this watch is totally 100% fine for recreational (aka PADI) diving. I have had it down to 100 feet with no issue what-so-ever. It is rated to 200M (or 600 feet). Most recreational diving is limited to 120 feet so you are well within the boundries of the watch. Anyway, I plan to continue using mine for diving and I do not expect there to be any issue.

The neatest feature of this version (only on the 3rd generation of this model) is the radio self correction. In short, the watch "phones home" to the atomic clock in Boulder, Colorado every morning at 2AM and self corrects the time to the hundreth of a second. Anytime I have checked, it has never been off by more than 2 seconds, even 23 hours after correction. So the watch is accurate to 2 seconds per day but self adjust every 24 hours to maintain this accuracy.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 4, 2010

Wanted a new watch with multifunctions, radio-atomic controlled, titanium, stylish features for this Christmas. Have been using Casio Pathfinder triple sensor watch ABC titanium,so I knew how a titanium watch felt on wrist::Light weight as compared to other metals/alloys.
Citizen watches has a wonderful collections of watches- my choice was JY0050-55L.

This watch has a great look on RIGHT or LEFT wrist as it doesnot have huge sticking out clasps/crown/buttons.The color of the dial is blue with some yellow and white in it.-looks great. Crown and buttons are perfect size-easy to use.

Its a compact watch with a lot of funCtions. titanium makes a big difference. First Look gives an impression of being bulk/heavy- but once in hand-its a big difference-very light weight.
The product instruction manual is great and the CD also has interactive instructions with PDF manual to print or read.

Atomic Timekeeping with Radio-Controlled Accuracy and no battery required. Very happy with this watch......
FIVE STARS
----------------------------
UPDATE October,1, 2013
I have worn this watch pretty much everyday, No issues at all except for some 'daily wear-tear signs' like scuffs on the bracelet, etc. Its certainly an eye catcher and I love this watch (Eco-Drive is awesome) and all its functions.
Still Five stars........
----------------------------
Update July 26, 2014
Other than daily use wear-tear signs, no issues with the watch. All the functions works great, maintains time, no need to worry about battery replacement, Still 5 Stars!
review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 28, 2014
Verified Purchase
I've now owned the watch for a year and a half. There are things I like about it, but a few too many things not to my taste.

The good:
(1) The overall look of the face reminds me of an airplane cockpit (after all, it is a Blue Angles watch). I enjoy people seeing it and exclaiming, "Wow, I can't imagine how many functions that thing must have." Very complex looking (that I like).
(2) Owing to the titanium, it is a surprisingly light watch. I forget that I am wearing it.
(3) The solar cells keep the watch fully charged. I like not having to worry about using the background light or the alarm. My last citizen watch was always getting its alarm spring screwed up by the jeweler replacing the battery. Never having to change batteries -- that's great.
(4) I travel a lot, and the ability to change time zones easily is very useful to me.
(5) Automatic time setting via radio to the atomic clock is a nice feature. It's great knowing that even the second hand is at the right time.

The bad:
(1) This is one thick watch. To me, it looks unnecessarily thick to the point of not being an attractive piece of jewelry. I have to be careful that it doesn't bang into things.
(2) The two LCD screens are almost impossible to read except in bright light. It is dark letters against a dark background. And that's when they are not being hidden by the watch hands that is often the case.
(3) All those dials are for show. In fact, the actual watch functions (stop watch, two alarms, timer) are no more than you'd find on a cheap throw-away LCD watch. The dials themselves mostly have useless functions like a tiny watch face showing the time in GMT and a miniature 24-hour clock only an hour hand.
(4) The actual functions (stop watch, alarms, timer) are operated on the tiny, hard-to-read, LCD screen, Again, these are no more functions than you'd get with a $15 LCD watch except at least there you'd have an LCD screen you could actually read.
(5) The atomic clock receiver is hit-and-miss at best. I've never been able to get it to work out of the country (it has three world zones) and it rarely works when I'm on business trips in the U.S. More recently, I'm having trouble getting it to work here in North Carolina. I understand that Citizen was reluctant to add the feature to a watch knowing the weak signals would be hard to receive. To me, that was the principal feature of this watch for which I paid a lot (and suffered a hugely think watch to fit in the feature) only to have it not work.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 3, 2010
Verified Purchase
All in all I am very happy with this elegant timepiece.! This really is a beautiful wathc. I'm hooked on atomic-solar and have owned several Casio G-Shock's and If you've had one of those, you know how complicated a multifunction watch can be to set and use.
PROS:
*It came with a mini-CD that walks you through the initial setup up - really easy, really cool!

*Titanium - quite light. I don't know how much the steel one weighs, but this is a big, thick watch, I think it's worth the extra $150.

*Easy to read Analog, back-light for digital displays in the dark

*Very easy to cycle through the time zones - there are 43 plus one custom. The really, really nice thing is that you can easily Hide the cities you don't use to make the list really short. unlike the Casio, hands move in both directions very quickly when changing time zones.

*Digital display for Two time zones plus UTC on the top dial. You can easily swap the digital time zones by pressing both the set buttons simultaneously - extremely useful for travel

*Very easy to cycle through the functions, from Time, Calendar, chronograph, countdown timer, world time and two alarms, plus the atomic receive mode by rotating the crown.

*Atomic-solar, of course.

*Many more custom features, for instance you can zero the analog hands - I hope they never get misaligned, but if they do, hey.

CONS:
* Digital displays are tiny, and I expect most buyers will be over 45 and have trouble focusing on them. I Have to use the back-light even in daylight, but I just use the calendar anyway, so it's fine, but if you want to refer to it a lot in the dark, may be a problem.

* The hands cover the digital displays as they turn. Real nuisance, because I can't see the displays at an angle, have to wait `til the hands move.

* It is big and you'll likely have to remove links - I wear Large size gloves and I still had to remove 3 links.

*It is a bit tough to pull out the crown to the first stop, not the second and you really have to take the watch off to do it. Not a problem if you don't set it much, which you shouldn't need to unless you are a pilot.

Amazon got it here 2 days early even with Supersaver Shipping.
on May 18, 2011
I've had all kinds of watches including luxury watches from Cartier, Tag Heuer and Rolex, also watches by Bulova, Seiko, etc. etc., yet this Citizen Blue Angels Skyhawk A-T in titanium is by far and away my favorite watch of all time. This watch is both a chronological and technological marvel and a bargain even at full retail. The precision and esthetics of this timepiece are magnificent.

In spite of the numerous features and seeming complexity of this watch it was fun and intuitive to set up and use its vast and useful feature set. Citizen did a great job in both writing the user's guide and providing an interactive CD to help get the new owner up and running quickly and easily.

Upon opening the package and holding the watch one cannot help but be impressed with the lightness of this watch when compared to a similarly sized watch made from stainless steel. It is a moderately large wristwatch, yet with the case and bracelet being made from titanium the watch is surprisingly light. Yet, the lightness is coupled with a fit, finish and solid feel that just feels right. It's a perfect balance of design, technology, materials and workmanship. The heft of the watch is ideal. I highly doubt that I will ever buy another watch that is not titanium. The watch feels great on the wrist and soon felt like I was born with this watch on my wrist. The knowledge that titanium is one of the toughest (yet lightest) metals known to man is reassuring. If it's good enough for the skin of the SR-71 it's good enough for me. :-)

I was a little concerned from the photos that the blue face with yellow accents might look on my wrist. After receiving the watch it turns out that the watch is a real beauty. The color combination not only fits with the Blue Angels theme but looks supremely classy and sporty. The appearance is magnificent in hand and still photos do not do the watch justice for the simple reason that as light is reflected off of the faceted hour markers, hands and the borders around the small dials on the watch face, the watch glistens (in a subtle way) without looking like excessive "bling." Understated sporty elegance, yet powerful and functional.

I think the other reviews and Amazon's product description adequately cover the feature set on the watch so I will not go into this area in my review except to say that so far, all are useful and easily accessible.

Citizen is known for their accurate timepieces but with the radio controlled feature I will never need to set this watch again. In the past, my desire for accuracy has cost me some time and effort. I have the number for atomic time programmed into my phones and had to set my watches on at least a monthly basis and more often with some watches. It is a relief to know this is a thing of the past with this watch. It has a perpetual calendar (it "knows" how many days in each month including leap years/months) and atomic timekeeping - set it once and that's it. Couple this with the Eco Drive and now there's no need to ever worry about replacing a battery again. I love it. Cartier wanted big bucks to change a battery on my quartz Tank Watch and over $450 every few years to maintain the automatic (self winder). Those watches while they are nice looking could never match the accuracy of this watch. And now I'm hooked on the sporty and functional look of the Blue Angels Skyhawk. The countdown timer and 2 alarms are sufficiently loud for my ears. I wouldn't use the watch for an alarm clock but for reminders these are fine.

I urge anyone who enjoys a truly fine watch to give one of these a try. And by all means get the titanium version - it is absolutely worth the small difference in price. This is a watch that will last a lifetime and you will not be disappointed.

Update: After 10 days of wearing the Skyhawk I am impressed with the radio controlled accuracy of the watch, the comfort and overall sense of quality. There aren't many purchases I've made where I have found the level of satisfaction of ownership that I derive from the Skyhawk.

Update 5/27/11: I am enjoying this Blue Angels watch so much that I bought another titanium Skyhawk A-T the JY0010-50E with black dial and bezel. The 55L remains my favorite but the 50E is a close runner up.

Update 1/14/12: This watch continues to impress me with its accuracy and usefulness. I have picked up a few light scratches (normal wear and tear) on the clasp which are easily eliminated with Scotch Brite. The bezel and crystal continue to look new.

Update 7/18/14: The Skyhawk gets more wrist time than any other watch in my collection. I'm surprised that I am not bored with it which is quite a statement about the aesthetics and comfort of this watch. Surprisingly, (because I wear this almost daily)the bezel and crystal remain scratch free. I had planned on replacing the crystal with a sapphire crystal when the mineral crystal got scratched. It looks like it might be awhile, if ever.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 10, 2011
Verified Purchase
This is my fifth Citizen Skyhawk, and it is the best yet. All four others are very much functional and still in use, but this version is so eye-catching I couldn't resist adding to the collection. Within the Citizen lineup one can buy the same functionality and quality for a few dollars less, but this Blue Angels version is--at least to my eyes--the classiest and most attractive of the bunch. It is a large watch, but the titanium case cuts weight to the point that it barely is noticeable on the wrist. The settings can be a bit confusing at first, but the instructions are clear and easily followed, resulting in easy operation after initial setup. If one wants to drive nails with a watch, buy a quality-built Casio. But if class--as well as quality and functionality--are the objectives, this is the one.
on July 16, 2013
I like citizen watches - have purchased 5 or more in the last few years for myself and family members.

This watch in particular - solar, digital, titanium, alarms, timers etc - was exactly what I was looking for in a full function watch. I purchased the Citizen JR3060-59F Eco-Drive Skyhawk Mens Watch - Titanium for around $300 or so and worked great for 3 years. My wife has a ladies Titanium Eco Drive without the digital display - just a day/date window. Both watches still tell the time.

But here's why I am not buying any more watches from Citizen:

- My watch - alarm failed, crown doesn't work fully, bezel wore badly, crystal scratches easily, titanium bracelet broke (a weld)... after 3 years

- Her watch - day/date failed, crown does not work - after 3 years.

Per a recent email from Citizen...

"Bands, bracelets and straps are not covered under warranty. The 5 year limited warranty covers the movement against defect. It does appear that this watch needs the movement replaced, as it is not resetting properly. The movement and gasket are listed at no charge. If any other part needs to be replaced, there is a charge for it, as the warranty does not cover wear and tear items.

....In cases where something like this happens (titanium bracelet broken) with a year or less of wear, Citizen may opt to replace the band at no cost even though it is not a warranty item. In this case, it has been more than 3 years, this is not something that Citizen can cover the cost to replace."

The 5 yrs limited warranty does not cover (in effect) anything but the movement which if you look online costs from $20-$50 depending on the model. The bracelet was quoted at $180, but you can get them cheaper online.

Bottom line from my experience - if you are happy to spend $300 - $700 on a watch that lasts 3-4 years, go ahead and buy this watch. Otherwise I'd look for something else.
on April 1, 2009
This is my second Blue Angels Skyhawk, so I had some familiarity with setting it up. Everything worked fine. I stood next to a window so the radio control could kick in. It's apparently radio controlled and keeps perfect time. I have a Casio radio controlled watch which is also a nice watch, and they both keep the same time. When I go away, I'lkl see how it works away from my location - it has three zones, Japan, Europe, and the U.S. So, some things I'm still learning. Incidentally, I traded in my old Skyhawk which was malfunctioning, got in a trade-in allowance for this one. Citizen is a great company
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought the "Blue Angels" Citizen watch about three years ago. Since then I haven't used any of my other watches including my Rolex. The watch not only looks good but it also runs perfectly. I haven't adjusted the time during the three year of wearing it! One of the reasons that no adjustment is needed comes from the incredible feature I haven't found with another brand.
When traveling between time zones one normally has to stop it's watch and moving the arms to the next time zone. Try this multiple times and you have to adjust. Not with the Citizen Men's JY0050-55L Eco-Drive Blue Angels Skyhawk A-T Chronograph Titanium Watch! The engineers from Citizen created the perfect watch that has a computerized digital drive. Stored in the memory are cities from all time zones around the world. All you do, without stopping the watch, is going through these cities and see the cities and their current time. Once you have picked your city, you press a button and watch the arms move to this time. The arms are operated by the digital part of the watch and you can see the arms and the digital window at the same time. Summer- and Wintertime gets set as well without stopping the watch. That combined with the ECO Drive, you never have to buy another battery, tops this engineering wonder. Oh I nearly forgot, Titanium doesn't set up the security alarm when going through the airport security.Citizen Men's JY0010-50E Eco-Drive Skyhawk A-T Titanium Watch

See 1 answered question