Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Citizen Men's AT0550
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Price:$234.00 - $243.75

on September 30, 2009
To say that i love this watch is an understatement. The eco-drive technology is just perfect, charge it in light, every kind of light except flourescent for 8hrs or so and it is charged, you will not have to replace any batteries from then on out. The look is so smooth, i have received multiple compliments from people that it looks very sharp. I had a choice between the brown band/face and the black band/face..it was very close. In the end i decided to go with the brown and it looks great with any outfit i wear.

The watch is so good i don't wear it to work lol, i don't wanna take a chance on scratching it. I think i will purchase another citizen watch just for work and keep this one for leisure. I messed with the watch for a good 20 mins and found just about every function fairly easily, it is very easy to set.

All in all, this watch is a very, very good purchase. Probably the best purchase i made since coming back from Iraq besides my 40'inch Sony Bravia. If you remotely like the looks of this watch then look no further, buy it!
on November 26, 2011
Besides reviewing this watch, I will also make some comparisons to eco-drive BL8000-11X, which is very similar in looks.

- Negatives -
First 2 negative comments are more directed to Citizen than this watch:
1) Wish they would put Sapphire crystals in more of their USA watches (neither this watch or BL8000-11X has Sapphire).
2) Very shiny, polished casing (love the look, but very vulnerable to scratches).
3) Date is pretty small and hard to read unless the lighting is really good.

- Positives -
1) Extremely rich looking and more of a Cordovan color (burgundy brown). The face at times looks more normal brown, but often looks cordovan. If looks is the only thing you're hinging the purchase on, then buy this watch. Pictures don't come close to how nice it looks.
2) Simple to use and set up. At first was seriously questioning BL8000-11X, since it has both an alarm and the perpetual calendar; however, the alarm is way too cumbersome for me, and I LOVE alarms on my watches, but gave it up when I played with it. Unless you want an alarm that will almost always be used at the same time of day each time, I would rule out most of the Citizen watches.
3) Changing the time and the date is simple, like any regular traditional watch, so ease of use is really simple, and there is nothing to setup or remember. Questioned getting perpetual calendar and the radio synching, which my Casio Solar-Waveceptor has, but settled on looks, ease, and eco-drive being most important (for Citizen watches that is, other Watch makers do a better job in providing a feature packed watch that is easy to use).
4) Timer is simple to use, but is strangely a little different than most in that the bottom button stops and resets with one push, even if the timer is still clicking.
5) The lume is excellent and lasts throughout the night, with both the huge hands and dots on all 12 hour markers that glow (the BL800-11X only has the hands with the lume material). Also, the contrast of the hands & markers to the face is perfect and really helps low light viewing. Except for watches with some sort of backlight, this is by far the best low light and dark viewing watch I have ever owned.

Other differences versus the BL800-11X:
1) This watch is a little bigger at 41-42mm wide and 11mm thick, vs 40mm and 10mm thick for the BL80000-11x; therefore, you may see it as looking more contemporary (the clean face vs the roman numerals of the BL8000-11X also add to the more contemporary look).
2) This watch has white stitching on the band vs brown stitching (again, contemporary looking).
3) Normal band clasp on this watch vs. a butterfly clasp on BL8000-11X (nice feature and may buy one off e-bay for my watch).
4) The cordovan color seems more rich on this watch, probably do to the slightly larger face and the fact that the face is so much cleaner/less busy on this watch vs the BL800-11X (both have a a much richer look than the stainless steel band version. The color just stands out so much more with the leather band. Just simple putting a stainless steel band on top of the leather band seems to dull the rich face look).

One last comment on color. If you're looking for a true brown, pass on this. It looks brown with the rich red hues in it, but if you place this near a common brown watch (or leather belt), it will look more burgundy. On that note, the cordovan really is nice for going with most any colors (browns or blacks), so you can wear it with anything.
on December 30, 2010
I have owned a Citizen eco-drive for years and wanted to buy one for my fiancé this Christmas. I had originally ordered a different model in black, but it was out of stock so I ordered this watch instead. It is perfect, and he loves it. The face is a very deep brown, and it does indeed look much better in person than in the picture. It is classy enough to wear with anything, but casual enough for everyday. One small quirk, what appears to be the second hand is only actually used for the stop watch feature, which caused a bit of confusion in initially setting the watch. Regardless, I definitely recommend.

On a separate note, boo to Amazon for recommending at checkout that I buy batteries for a solar powered watch!
on March 24, 2015
The watch is beautiful, but the band is really bad.
I'm usually not wearing a watch, and I bought this one for times when I want to dress up for events.
In the 9-10 months that I owned it, I probably worn it 15 times.
A couple of days ago I noticed that the band is peeling.

I was, too, surprised to hear that Citizen doesn't consider this to be part of the warranty. The thing is not even a year old.

I really thought that I'm getting a great watch from a reputable company, but I guess not.
review image
on January 14, 2009
This watch was exactly what I wanted to give as a Christmas Gift. It arrived way ahead of time. Being a solar powered watch, we had to let it set in the sunshine for a bit to charge up, but now that he wears it, the watch has kept perfect time. Thank you!
on November 13, 2012
Have had for two years. Is a great all round watch. Comfortable, accurate with basic functions which are easy to use. Leather band looks as good now as when I got it, but I only wear once or twice a week. Looks are subjective, but I think this one is understated elegant and is attractive to most people. If I lost it, I would buy it again. Wish the date window were bigger and the crystal didn't break when you drop it face down on tile floor. But, I knew the date was small when I purchased this and few crystals won't break if hit wrong.

Update: that was written 3.5 years ago and my watch is still going strong. Sadly, my dog dropped it on the tile floor so, I'm looking at replacing the crystal for the 2nd time. The leather band is starting to peel/disiintegrate on the inside around the hole I use. But, it isn't visible. I have heard exact Citizen replacement bands are around $60 or so.
on April 30, 2011
I've purchased many watches from Amazon, and this is by far the most elegant and versatile solar, leather-band watch. It's not big, just the right size; not heavy at all; it has a good balance of sophistication, simplicity, and elegance. You can get it significantly cheaper at other online stores. I've emailed Amazon about this.
on August 4, 2014
Would not have bought it if I had known the cost of maintaining this watch. The watch itself is great looking and I really like the watch, also the fact that it is solar powered was why I wanted it in the first place. It is the replacement costs associated with this watch that have completely turned me off to the whole citizen brand. The solar energy cell died after 2.5 years, which I was not really impressed with, it is warrantied for life, but of course you have to pay the shipping and insurance to get citizen to replace this part, roughly $30. The strap which only lasts about 1-2 years has a replacement cost of $70, and they are not willing to work with you at all on that price. They are more then happy to gouge you because we all know that the strap is one third the retail price of any watch, not!

If you do get the watch do not wear it everyday, the strap will wear out.
on May 12, 2015
This is by far my favorite watch purchase in the last few years. I love Citizen watches and recently switched to watches with leather bands (too many broken links). This looks great with khakis, jeans, etc. The outside metal ring does tend to scratch easily, but it looks good a few years later and doesn't detract from the quality (still get compliments on it).
on March 9, 2014
I've always liked Citizen Eco-Drives. I never have to worry about winding or replacing batteries, they are never over-sided or gaudy, and they look classy. This watch is no exception to those rules.

I had a couple of Stainless or black watches, but I was ready to get something that would look good with brown khaki's, either for business casual dress or weekend wear. This watch fits the bill. I've had it for under a month and have already received multiple compliments on its look.

The band is a great leather--not thin or flimsy. The one thing I did not expect, is the large second hand is for the timing mechanism, not a second-by-second ticking hand like most every other watch. The true second hand is one of the smaller dials (bottom one). Caught me off-guard, but does not bother me at all.

I highly recommend this watch for any growing collection, and the value is sky-high at this price.