5.0 out of 5 stars Improved Bone Density Since Last Year
I usually have a hard time swallowing large pills but I didn't have any trouble swallowing these pills in spite of their size.

Published on May 24, 2010 by smartshopper

1.0 out of 5 stars Loaded with chemicals. It's just not worth it!
This calcium has so many added chemicals, it is in no way worth the risk of taking it. Here are the ingredients per two caplets:

Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) 500 iu
Calcium (elemental) 630 mg

Calcium citrate
Polyethylene Glycol: a caustic used to dissolve grease
Croscarmellose sodium (promotes rapid disintegration)

Less...
Published 24 months ago by Tried it all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Improved Bone Density Since Last Year, May 24, 2010
This review is from: Citracal Maximum Caplets with Vitamin D3, 180-Count Bottle (Health and Beauty)

I was diagnosed with osteopenia two years ago. It had gotten worse after the first year when I was just taking calcium carbonate. I have been taking 4 of these a day for the last year and my bone density has improved since last year on my annual done density test. I think the calcium citrate makes a big difference since it can be taken with or without food.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality product and packaging, but the pills are a bit big., March 22, 2010
Howard (San Francisco, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
Quality of product and packaging are great. Pills are a bit big though, so if you have trouble swallowing big pills, then this one is not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars does the job, April 13, 2012
AVOID ARTHRITIS
Nearly 25 years ago, I was diagnosed with arthritis in my left hip, which was confirmed by X-ray. So I began a program of 1 Citrical tablet and 1 glucosamine/chondrotin tablet a day. Today, 25 years later, I have no arthritis---or at least no symptoms. I was a kid of 40 with arthritis, and now I'm an old geezer, but arthritis-free.

SWALLOWING LARGE PILLS
Note that the caplets are large, and some folks have problems swallowing them. Formerly, I did too, but after adopting an old butter dish (about 2" in diameter) for my various pills, I learned to just "toss them back"---like a shot of whiskey. I swallow all TEN pills, including THREE other pills the size of the Citracal caplet, in ONE easy swallow, and never gag. The problem is when you put one big caplet on your tongue and try to swallow it---your throat clenches. Instead, take a sip of water, hold it in your mouth, then toss your pills from a container into the back of your throat, and swallow.

The small plastic "shot glasses" which come with many medications work well for this purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars good calcium product, March 13, 2010
I was very happy with this product. IT is a lot of calcium for the money. I didnt have any trouble swollowing the pills as long as I took them with water.

5.0 out of 5 stars Muscle Twitches - Begone!, May 25, 2013
My husband calls these "those miracle pills". I finally tried them, after trying liquid calcium/magnesium (watch out the next morning), potassium pills, and even those 'restful leg' tablets -- for years, I've gone to sleep and then twitched and kicked him all night long -- no more. Take 2 caplets (or 3) every night before bed, without food. No itchy muscles. No bathroom side-effects in the morning. The restless, twitchy feeling in my legs had been getting stronger, so I did some research and found out that a lack of CALCIUM (surprise, I thought it was defiency of potassium or magnesium) causes your muscles to itch and twitch. Liquid calcium helped only a little bit, with icky side-effects... Citracal takes all the twitching away, no side-effects except a happy, happy husband.

5.0 out of 5 stars CITRACAL, DOCTOR SUGGESTED++++, August 22, 2011
Calcium citrate best calcium available per M.D. suggestion for bone support, as it absorbs best with or without food. Great Product. Calcium Citrate is high end and absorbs well, verses Calcium Carbonate does not, no matter what the brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loaded with chemicals. It's just not worth it!, January 4, 2013

Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) 500 iu
Calcium (elemental) 630 mg

Calcium citrate
Polyethylene Glycol: a caustic used to dissolve grease
Croscarmellose sodium (promotes rapid disintegration)

Less than 2% of the following:
Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose
magnesium silicate
magnesium stearate: you will find this in many of your supplements. It a cheap way for manufacturers to keep the powder from sticking to the machines. It's crap. It probably in many of your cheaper supplements. It has been banned in many products, in other countries of course. Here, it seems, anything goes.
oligofructose enriched inulin
ployvinylpyrrolidone
propylene glycol dicaprylate/dicaprate
titanium dioxide (color): recent studies show concern that titanium dioxide is a possible human carcinogen, especially when ingested over a long period of time. It is used primarily in the production of paints, printing inks, paper and plastic products. A side effect of ingesting it: tiredness. Do you really need that?
Vitamin d3 (cholecalciferol)

There are so many other ways (veggies and fruits) to get a great deal of calcium. I purchased these looking for the easy way out, and got a bottle of junk. Calcium supplements interact with other medications, herbal and pharmaceutical. I think that you should always make up your own mind about what you put in your own body, what works for me might not work for someone else. For me, this doesn't do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars D, February 25, 2013
I take these in my 40's (along with running and lifting) to prevent bone density loss, since my dairy intake has dropped off. (These days I'm starting to worry more about fiber - lol) This is a large pill, and I take 2/day. It's about the size of my Glucosamine or 1000mg fish oil caps, so it's good size. Coated, no indigestion, goes down smooth. It's nice that it has D for absorption, but I take a 5,000 D3 2/day anyway for S.A.D. so not a problem for me. I'll reorder.

5.0 out of 5 stars God-Send!, December 25, 2010
Last year I had gotten a bone density test and the results were that I had osteopenia in my hips, but everywhere else was fine. I really didn't heed my doctor's advice, and only had taken 1 bottle of Oscal. Needless to say, about 6 months ago my hips really bothered me- I lost all sorts of balance and coordination. Tired of being tired, I bought a bottle of CitraCal, and after only the first dose I felt immediately better; it was like a shot of adrenaline! I only wish I began taking this product 10 years ago, maybe I could've prevented osteopenia, but hindsight is always 20/20.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product Great Price, August 21, 2010
Schorsch "Constant Shopper" (Winnetka, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great product (you can take these on an empty stomach or full - it doesn't matter. They will be absorbed either way). This is a great price for them too. All women and teen girls should take 2 calcium supplements every day to avoid osteoporosis/osteopenia. I found this out the hard way when I shattered my lower left leg three years ago when I was 42. That was how I wound out I had osteopenia.