1,663 Reviews
 (1,027)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome
This book is amazing, its heart warming and keeps you on the edge of your seat through out the entire book. It draws you to the next book just as all the others in the series did! Thank you Cassandra Clare for writing such an amazing book for me and everyone else to enjoy
Published 12 months ago by michaela robitaille

3.0 out of 5 stars fine line between love and hate
Published on April 13, 2011 by lovespell

3.0 out of 5 stars fine line between love and hate, April 13, 2011
This review is from: City of Fallen Angels (Mortal Instruments, Book 4) (Hardcover)
if you are anything like me then about a year ago or so you closed the cover of city of glass and placed it on your shelf with a satisfied sigh. It was a good ending to a great trilogy. For the next few months you would touch the books fondly as you passed by your bookshelf, reminiscing about the world clare had created. Then one day you heard the impossible, maybe from a friend, bookseller, or book review...there would be a fourth mortal instruments book "But i thought...!", you exclaim. Well, you thought wrong! Cassandra was indeed adding a fourth, fifth, and sixth installment to the beloved series. Your heart raced and your fingers twitched just thinking about it. So when that fateful day came you ran to the bookstore and grabbed the book. You went home, opened it and began devouring the pages. Except..you couldn't. Two days passed And you were only fifty pages in. Hmm how peculiar, usually you would have finished the entire book in one sitting. But this story was different. It didn't captivate you like the others had. Sure Simon was just as endearing as always. But the others. Well you just had the overwhelming desire to strangle them. Much like Jace did with Clary, in fact. Which you might add was rather annoying. Couldn't they just be together without any problems?! Jace had a completely different voice in this book. Gone were his witty banter and endearing arrogant nature. Sure, he had his moments. But most of the time he was in the corner brooding. Last time you checked twilight was still sitting on your shelf.... OH and the ending, Dear God. Way to take a hard earned twenty dollars and flush it down the toilet cassandra Clare! Why can't dead characters stay dead! move on! we are tired of living in the past! overall, this was not what i expected from one of the best book series i've ever read. Sure, ill read the next one. But i won't be expecting much...

3.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't decide whether I hated or loved it, April 6, 2011
I just finished the book, and haven't decided whether I hated it or loved it. I'm giving it 3 stars because I was hooked, and that counts for something.
I just want to say I was highly anticipating this book, I read all the sneak peeks on the site, all the bonus chapters, everything. And they all made me even more excited to read it. I feel a little bit cheated, it was like the best bits in the book were taken and became the 'sneak peaks'... and what I assumed would be emotionally-charged scenes ended up being a very small portion of it.
I'll try to keep spoilers out of this review.
I read the first chapter on Cassandra Clare's site, and the second chapter at the back of 'City of Glass'. They were easily the best chapters of the book. I didn't enjoy the scenes after that-Clary's dialogue was choppy, very out- of character. She shifted back into the Clary we know and love from the first few books somewhere in the middle of the story. I also disliked the Dr. Jekyll-Mr. Hyde thing Jace has going on, I swear at the end of one chapter he's telling Clary he loves her and at the beginning of the next he's avoiding her. I was looking forward to the Clary-Jace scenes, but 60% of them involved Clary whining about him not returning his calls and Jace repeatedly trying to convince her that he loves her, but can't be near her. Why can't this couple be left alone? I assumed at the end of the last book that they'd uncover some dark secret of their past, why Clary was the 'wrong person' to fall in love with. Maybe they will in one of the next two books but their relationship was mainly Jace and Clary pining after one another from a distance. Oh, and their final scenes in this book were so sickeningly 'been there, done that'. I used to love Jace's character, because his snarkiness and dark sense of humor made for some interesting dialogue. I figured with Valentine dead he wouldn't be whining about how he was a monster, and didn't deserve Clary etc. But of course Clare found a way to incorporate that into this book, too. The ending frustrating me immensely, I won't spoil it but I wish dead characters would stay dead.
I almost wish that the series had ended at City of Glass, but I don't regret reading this, it gave some insight into the other characters (not enough Alec-Magnus, they only really were featured in the last half of the book, pity). But it was interesting reading from Simon's point of view. I found Simon a very dull character previously, he's a little more three dimensional to me now. I expected a bit more drama with Maia-Isobel, but I guess what was in the book was sufficient. I really enjoyed Isabel in this book, and her relationship with Simon is definitely not what I expected. Some new surprise characters turned up, and were pretty cleverly played out. This book seems to be setting the stage for the last two, which will hopefully live up to City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass.
From the sneak peeks I also expected some more Simon and his mother scenes, him opening up to his mom. Well, I got once scene and it was partially covered in the sneak-peek.
Many elements in the book were picked up and dropped quite suddenly. Things like Jocelyn and Luke's wedding, (did they even get to it, in the book? It's not clear) were brought up when Cassandra Clare needed to fill in empty space. The Seelie Queen's appearance was confusing and just didn't fit with the rest of the book. There are some clear cliffhangers that will be resolved in the next book I assume, but all they did here was slow down the plot. The difference between this and something J.K Rowling writes is that you read through the books, and things that you just read through in the first book reappears in the seventh, but not in an obvious way, and you could hardly imagine it would somehow make it's way back into the plot. In City of Fallen Angels it's very, very obvious.
This book definitely did not live up to my expectations (which, granted, were pretty high), but it was Cassandra Clare and somehow she makes you believe it's all real. There were some enjoyable Jace lines, some enjoyable Isabel scenes. I'm glad I read it, but can't help feeling some disappointment. Not as much re-reading potential as the rest of the series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unnecessary Sequel, June 14, 2011
This book is obviously an attempt to revive a series that has already been concluded and resolved in order for the author and the publisher to make a predictable buck from Cassandra Claire's fans. I just wish the novel hadn't made that fact so obvious.

Simon being made into the main character was a mistake. He doesn't have a strong enough personality to carry a book. He has no drive, and no real goals except for his constant whining about being a vampire. I was even more annoyed with him because of his continual immoral and irresponsible behavior in this book. He kept causing himself trouble by being inconsiderate and stupid. I also thought that he could have been used more as some sort of fighting character. He's practically invincible, and yet he never really fights in the book. He stands there while others try to hurt him and fail.

Jace had his moments. Fans love Jace because of his rude sarcastic exterior hiding a decent, angst filled, brooding guy. But at the end of City of Glass, he got his happy ending, and therefore had no more reason to be angst filled or guilty. Claire quickly tries to remedy this by attempting to bring back Jace's self-loathing and perception of unworthiness, but it feels forced and poorly motivated. It's not until late in the book that Jace's reasons for being filled with guilt and shame seem reasonable, but by then I was too annoyed by his earlier ridiculous guilt to feel better about it.

The end of the book was the best part in my opinion. The action was decent, and the resolution well set up. But overall I was dissapointed by City of Fallen Angels. I had to force myself to finish this book, and I haven't had to force myself with anything else of Claire's so far.

2.0 out of 5 stars Should have stopped at book 3, May 4, 2011
I've read all the previous books in The Mortal Instruments series, and after finishing CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS, the overwhelming thought I had when I closed the book was: she should have stopped at book 3. The The impossible love between Clary and Jace has been the driving force of the first three books. And honestly the incestuous obstacle to their romance has always been a real hindrance to my enjoyment of the series overall. I knew eventually it would be revealed that somehow they weren't actually related, and I had to cling fiercely to that thought every time they started making out thinking they were brother and sister, but it was big on the ick scale even still and I think that particular storyline was drawn out much too long. But after such a seemingly insurmountable obstacle to their love no longer exists, what could possibly trump incest in CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS?

The answer, unfortunately, is nothing.

But Clary and Jace still act like their love is impossible. Jace brings new meaning to the word brooding. His objections to being with Clary felt very thin to me and her response was overly melodramatic. I haven't been able to loose myself in this series really since the first book, but I felt especially detached from this one. It didn't help that half the book was devoted to Simon's perspective and his ongoing struggle to come to grips with his new life as a vampire. He's never been a strong enough character to hang a book on in my opinion, and he proves that in CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS.

Bottom-line, the Jace/Clary parts of the book were unsuccessfully trying to recreate the romantic tension they had in the previous books, and the Simon parts just weren't interesting enough to warrant the page time he got. Yes, there is a plot involving demons and murdered Shadowhunters, but with all the characters faux drama, it fell flat me. Diehard fans of the series will no doubt love this latest installment, but if you've been lukewarm like me, you might want to pass and try Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices prequel series instead.

Sexual Content:
Kissing. References to homosexuality.

2.0 out of 5 stars City of Fallen Expectations, April 11, 2011
I'd like to preface my critique by saying that I loved the last three books from the MI series. Cassandra Claire managed to create a unique, very believable world with colorful and multidimensional characters. The story arcs were riveting and the characters had such unique personality quirks, that you couldn't help but feel invested in all of them, even the minor characters and the antagonists.

I just finished City of Fallen Angels today and I was sadly disappointed. When I'd heard she was generating the fourth book, I think I let my hopes up too much. The book's plot is slow and plodding and I remember looking at my progress, thinking, "I've already gotten through 1/2 the book and I'm still not getting anything out of this,.."

(plot spoilers,,,,)
I'm not sure why I feel this way, but all the characters felt more two dimensional this time around. Even Simon, who is really the main protagonist, is lost in the story and never really "is" the story. It felt like Cassandra Claire was so busy moving the plot forward that she did it at the expense of any further character development. The usual smart and lighthearted bantering that we've come to expect of the main and minor characters was distinctly absent and the whole mood of the book is clouded by Jace's unapologetic self-absorbed feelings of unworthiness.

Actually, now that I think of it, that's a common theme. Every one feels unworthy. The whole book is a pity party.

Simon feels unloved as he is now a downworlder and he bears Cain's mark, Alex feels unworthy because he can't live forever like Magnus who has had multitudes of prior relationships to reference, Kyle feels unworthy because he hurt the one person he loved the most, Clary feels unloved because Jace has shut her out emotionally and she is constantly berating herself for only thinking of her own feelings (which she should)... you get my drift.

What is that all about?

There isn't an ounce of redemption in the whole book. To top it off, the end of the book is clearly a plot device to launch the next book off of and just about rounds up the whole disappointing experience we have of Jace's fall from grace.

Also, Cassandra Claire has aded a plot twist that annoys me in many YA novels that I've read recently--- Something happens to a character so that he/she is freed from the responsibility of his/her actions because they've fainted or been mysteriously controlled by an outside force.

In the real world, when you've done something wrong, even if it's not intentional, you still bear the responsibility of that action (like running over something with your car). The admission of a mistake made, and the corrections we make to prevent it from happening again is what creates character and strength in all of us. If you can't own the problem, you can't grow from it.

In City of Fallen Angels, Jace conveniently is absolved from the responsibility of his actions by being possessed in his dreams and then in real life by a Demon (he regains control of himself not through his own will, but because of Clary's interventions), and then he stupidly falls for it again in the last chapter as he is controlled by Sebastion's spirit. Honestly, I hate this kind of weak story/character development. Where is the snarky, arrogant Jace we've all come to love? Where is his strength of will? Where is anyone's will in this examination of the weakness of the human spirit and the constant self doubting of the downworlders and shadow hunters alike.

Finally, and I didn't realize this until I listened to the audiobook version of the book in my car (before I had to turn that darned thing off since Jace and Simon both had an Italian "goodfellows" accent read by a British reader that was absolutely grating and the female narrator had a distinct and out of place midwestern accent that in other books would be fine, but not in this book of characters from urban America). The point of view keeps jumping between Simon and Clary's story without real rhyme or reason, and the disjointed narration only highlights the glaring "cut and paste" feel of this story.

Harsh? I guess so. I just think that Cassandra Claire really has it in her to create a better story, to evolve a better world without relying on the relationship tension between Jace, Clary and Simon to move the story forward. I really hope that the next book takes a turn for the better and that for the audiobook version, they fire the two narrators reading City of Fallen Angels.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, April 14, 2011
This book felt tired to me. Loved the original trilogy--Clary comes across powerful, even in her most insecure moments. In this latest installment she is pathetic. Her and Jace's actions are reduced to mad making out and Clary chasing, while Jace evades her...and really, that's it until the big somewhat climactic scene.

Certainly, some of the questions this book tries to address--consequences attached to Clary's bringing Jace back from the dead and her giving Simon the mark of Cain are provocative and worth pursuing. The narrative itself, the way these questions are answered build the ho-hum factor rather suspense, though. While I was impatient for this book to come out, I wish Cassandra Clare had taken a little longer to think this through.

1.0 out of 5 stars Trying to Forget This Book, December 1, 2011
This book left me feeling betrayed by the author. I absolutely loved the first three books and this book just destroyed the feeling of the first three books.

Why can't the author leave well enough alone? We already had plenty of Jace and Clary drama with a nice positive closer at the end of the trilogy. So be happy with the drama of the first trilogy, and move on! Why not develop the supporing characters from the first three books? Let them have their own story, with Jace and Clary as background characters. At one point the author did think a trilogy around Jace and Clary was enough. She should have stuck with that--instead of destroying what she created.

I won't restate more of what the other reviewers have said but just add that I won't be purchasing the next book and will try my best to pretend this one never came out.

2.0 out of 5 stars So disapoint it hurts..., April 15, 2011
I was a sold fan of the series... loved book 1-3... but this book was just lacking of everything that the rest had.

-The POV changes annoyed me most of the time, as soon as you got in the story you got interrupted by another. it was hard to not get frustrated. I felt like skipping till the story continued.

- the chemistry between characters was not there... but everyone was in LOVE... kissy kissy here and there... even the "love/lust" scene with Jace and clary where void.

- The same descriptions were repeated 11 times on the same page, and if the same scene was from another POV, that character would repeat it again....

I feel like I didn't read it, like i'm left with nothing... i'm not even curious to what will happen... which I didn't think I would ever feel about theses characters. I hoped for character development for all characters not just hints of images.

3.0 out of 5 stars DIdn't live up to expectations, April 14, 2011
Absolutely loved the first three books in the trilogy but I can't say the same for this book. The he-loves-her-can't-be-with-her plot line is one we've seen before; I'm ready for Clary and Jace to JUST BE TOGETHER! The romantic triangle Simon finds himself in is not unexpected and teen readers will certainly identify with. In fact, I did enjoy seeing Simon have a more prominent role. Was very disappointed with the ending and the direction the series seems headed. This is obviously the way the author will string it out into two more books but I would've been happy to see the series end with the City of Glass. It will be interesting to hear what my middle school students think of this book--I'm checking it out today to the first person on the hold list, a very eager young man who can't wait to get it in his hands.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to put it down....., May 13, 2011
..... but paid too much. This has to be one of the worst books I have ever had to drag myself through. I have read the other books in the series and was looking forward to this one. The author has managed to empty out the characters of all personality and depth and create a boring, insulting drudge-of-a-read. Jace and Clary are shells of their former selves with no more development, who actually started to irritate me.

I actually found myself speed-reading through this so I could see if ANYTHING was going to happen! I think Cassandra Clare needed to make some house payments or buy a new car so she chunked this one together to get some cash. It actually makes me really mad I paid my precious money to buy it. Skip this one totally, read a synopsis somewhere and see if the next one will have any merit before buying. I'm definitely off of this series; I'll use my money for something well-written so I can clear the mindless fluff of this book out of my head. Did I mention I didn't like this book? Whew!

City of Fallen Angels (Mortal Instruments, Book 4)
City of Fallen Angels (Mortal Instruments, Book 4) by Cassandra Clare (Hardcover - April 5, 2011)
$21.99 $16.71