Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on March 25, 2009
Although my expectations were too high for City of Bones, I have to say that the series has gotten better with every book, leading to a very satisfying City of Glass read. Questions get answered; plot points get tied up, and you're left with a happy fuzzy feeling in the end.

I really enjoyed the characters in the books, especially CoG. Each character has really come a long way, and even when I disagreed with a character, I felt that they were completely within character; their personalities drove the plot, rather than a having series of random events they were just responding to. I also love that - with a few exceptions (Malachi, Sebastian) - they were all so multidimensional, shades of gray in a morally ambiguous world.

On Jace and Clary - I'd give this a 4/5, mainly because I've always felt a little awkward about their relationship, and it's not just the sibling thing. There were some beautiful and heartbreaking moments - again, back to characterization, I was definitely thinking "That's so Jace!" sometimes - but I also got the feeling that their relationship was unnecessarily drawn out. Maybe it's because I never got a good sense of Clary's relationship to the Lightwoods (early on, Clary saying to Isabelle, "But I thought you liked me!" and then later confronting Isabelle about not liking her, for example). But even though I'm happy with how things ended up, I think Clary and Jace really shined brighter when they were apart in this book, than in their scenes together.

On the other hand, some of the "minor" characters were wonderful. Alec and Magnus are a riot ("Your city is under attack...The wards have broken, and the streets are full of demons. And you want to know why I haven't called you?"). Aldertree reminded me of Umbridge. Simon grows up, while still maintaining his nerdiness.

I was not as fond of the thematic progress of the book, possibly because I'm re-reading Harry Potter right now and it seems so familiar, and the same ideas are in almost every fantasy book. You are the sum of your actions, not of your birth. Do what is right, and not what is easy. Villians always end up defeated because they just had to show off, and forgot some key thing. People are never who they say they are, and never trust a death to be final.

So I tend to be an impatient reader, and this might just be my fault, but I also found that skipping pages in the book didn't really make me miss much. You'll get the whole story just from reading Joceyln's talk with Clary and then the last chapter. The middle of the book was great, with some great moments, but I didn't feel the same compunction to read every word, the way I do with some other books.

Overall, even with my negative points, I'm really happy with this book. You'll laugh (Cassie has some great lines, and I'm a fan of anything nerdy). You'll be frustrated with the characters. Sometimes, you'll wonder why you didn't think of it first. In the end, this book delivers a very satisfying read - I'd imagine it sort of tastes like butterbeer.
33 comments|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2012
This was the best book in the series. Lots of action and humor and romance balanced perfectly into one book. New characters like "Sebastian Verlac", Aline Penhallow and Amatis make this book the best. Even if you were skeptical of the series because Clary and Jace are siblings, read this book anyways!!! Because the series was originally a trilogy, this book has a very, very, very exciting/scary/amazing ending that will make you glad Cassie wrote more books. Also check out the Infernal Devices if you loved this series. Clockwork Angel and Clockwork Prince (and soon Clockwork Princess) are also shadowhunter books that take place in the 1870's and have characters like Magnus Bane, Camille Belcourt, and even the amazing Will Herondale, Jem Carstairs, and Gideon and Gabriel Lightwood. Also Consul Wayland and Brother Enoch appear in these books.
on July 30, 2013
Every time I finish reading a Mortal Instruments book, I think to myself "Wow, this one was amazing! Definitely my favorite, there is no way the next one can top it. Nope, no way." I guess now that I am on the third installment, I should know better. City of Glass was such a great, fast paced, action paced, and fun read. I mean come on, we get to visit THE CITY OF GLASS! It sounds like such a beautiful place from the descriptions mentioned in books one and two, and I was so excited that we get to travel to this unknown place.

I love the introduction of this new character, whose name I will not mention cause of spoilers :P. This character really puts a new perspective on the story, and what he/she will reveal will shock you. I know I couldn't flip through the pages fast enough! I always think that I know how everything will turn out, but Cassandra C. loves to throw those curve balls that keeps me on my toes...and I love it!

As far as romance goes, this book is pretty sweet. I love Jace and Clary, and all I want is for them to be together already dangit! I like how Cassandra C. gives us a lot of action in her stories; yet, there are rare moments where we get these truly beautiful and romantic moments that really make me smile...*one of those huge idiot looking grins*. She's never over top, and I like that despite the fact that Clary and Jace truly love one another, they have their own thoughts and worries that does not revolve around the other person 24/7.

This book was fantastic! Answering some questions that have been lingering throughout the past two stories, and giving us more questions and situations to ponder over.

I really enjoyed City of Glass, I love the change of scenery and the addition of new and fabulous characters.

I want to say that this is my favorite one so far...but then again, I'm going to start on City of Fallen Angels soon...so we shall see about that (;

Cassandra C, does not disappoint, and once again I am neglecting all of my other books because of the TMI series! :X

-as seen on my goodreads account
VINE VOICEon March 25, 2009
I couldn't have asked for a better ending. I got everything I wanted. I don't want to summarize the book, I'll leave that to others, but I will say that there are some heartbreakingly beautiful scenes in this book. The characters became more developed and more endearing, especially Jace. His sarcastic wit is certainly present in this book; however, he is no longer hiding behind his carefully constructed facade. His torment over Clary is glaringly obvious from the first chapter.

I noticed that another review stated that she wished Clary and Jace hadn't have been as close as they were until they knew the truth about not being related, but I have to disagree. Clary was the only person in the world that made Jace feel like he belonged and she was the only person he belonged to and the fact that she didn't turn away from him when he told her that he loved her probably meant more to him than her waiting until she knew the truth to love him back the same way. He had resigned himself to love her always, no matter what, and I'm glad that he got to know that she had resigned herself to the same fate.

Cassandra Clare works magic with this novel. The excitement begins on the first page and doesn't stop until the final sentence. She brings everything full circle for a completely satisfying ending - even though fans would be more than happy to read about these beloved characters forever, I know I will miss them.
66 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
City of Glass is third book in The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. This was supposed to be the last book in The Mortal Instruments Trilogy, but the author decided to extend the series three more books. In all honesty I'm glad that there's going to be more books because I'm kind of addicted to Jace Wayland the world of the shadowhunters!

Clary has finally found out what needs to be done to save her mother, all she needs to do is travel to Alicante (home city of the shadowhunters). The problem is that some people... mainly Jace don't want her to go, so she's left behind. Clary then needs to find her own way to Alicante because she knows that she's one of the only ones who can save her mom, and well she finds her way there. Clary and the rest of the shadowhunters then find themselves in the midst of a war that might change everything.

I really don't know what to say about this book that would properly explain how much I loved it. This was the longest book in the series, but I didn't notice because of how compelling the storyline was. There are a few new characters introduced, some casualties, and a whole lot of Jace/Clary frustration. The "final" battle in this book was epic, and we finally get some much needed answers! The character development in this book was great, everyone has grown so much since the first book.

This was my favorite book in the series, and I can't wait to read the next book, City of Fallen Angels. I really want to wait and read the next two books until the final ones released, but I honestly don't think I have that much willpower. I figure I have four Cassandra Clare books on my bookshelf left to read, and I think I can make them last awhile.
on June 23, 2014
I was captivated by "City of Bones" and really disliked "City of Glass." At the conclusion of the previous book, I felt as thought that book was comprised mostly of filler and set up, but was hopeful that the next book would get back on track and be as impressive as the first book in the series. "City of Glass" ended up being better than its predecessor, but never quite managed to get back up to the standard that "City Bones" set. Spoilers follow.

The story starts very shortly after the second book ends. Following a lead on how to wake her mother, Clary plans to go to Idris with Jace and the Lightwoods. Things don't go exactly as planned, but they all end up in the City of Glass just in time for Valentine's attack to begin. Clary and Jace wrestle with their feelings for one another as they uncover the secrets of their pasts and fight to put an end of Valentine and his plans.

Frankly, the story is a lot better than that of "City of Ashes." There's a lot going on, and it actually seems to be (mostly) the focus. It almost feels as though the characters woke up from the haze they were in during the previous book and remembered that they're supposed to be doing something. That's not to say that there isn't any of the relationship drama that made the last book drag. It's still present, just not as much as in the previous book. It doesn't completely dominate the story this time, but it gets very repetitive; how many times do Jace and Clary really need to lament over how they can't be together? At least this time around, the characters appeared to realize that the events taking place were slightly more important than the dating dilemma.

That's not to say there aren't some problems with the book. To start with, Valentine's end is really anticlimactic. I was pleased to see that Clary and her talents actually had a huge role in bringing about his demise, but the concept of him ultimately being killed as a result his overconfidence and cruelty was really cliché. Given how much of a threat he was made out to be, I was hoping for something a little more impressive. Speaking of deaths, there are two other big deaths in this book...and neither one is handled particularly well. Max's just comes across like a lazy attempt to pluck at our heartstrings. He never got much characterization, which made it difficult to really care about him. The second death is Jace's at the end of the book. Since there are three other books in this series, I doubt anyone will be shocked to hear that he's resurrected. Clare seems to not really want to risk her characters. Having Jace die would have brought a powerful message of sacrifice for the greater good; the gravity of the story would have been justified. In short, it would have accomplished what killing Max was supposed to: a heart-wrenching loss that deeply affected both the characters and the readers. Clary's happy ending is more important, however, so Jace's death isn't permanent and ends up coming across as very unnecessary.

Also, if there were a theme for this novel, it would be characters saying or doing inappropriate things during important moments. When Clary's mother is brought out of her coma, Clary yells at her for hiding the Shadowhunters and her brother from her. Given how concerned Clary claimed to be for her mother's safe recovery, she sure doesn't waste any time in chewing her out for essentially ruining Clary's relationship with Jace. When Alec finds Magnus during the battle, he doesn't focus on important matters or how pleased he is that Magnus isn't dead. Instead, he demands to know why Magnus hasn't returned his calls...in the middle of a fight. The most egregious example of this takes place after Jace's previously mentioned death and Valentine's defeat. Clary is given one wish by Raziel. She can wish for anything. What does she wish for? World peace or an end to world hunger? Crosses her mind, but no. Max or the other dozens of Shadowhunters who lost their lives fighting being brought back? She doesn't even think about it. Instead, she asks for Jace to be revived, which benefits mostly herself and a couple other people. Again, she needs her happy ending, after all.

On a random story related note, I very much enjoyed the concept of certain characters having angel or demon blood. Sure, it wasn't the biggest surprise out there, but it was somewhat unique and was a nice addition to the story.

"City of Glass" has a distinctly different feel from the first two books, largely because it isn't set in New York City, but rather in Idris. Though Clare does excel at capturing the city's atmosphere, I was pleased at the change in scenery. The story in New York had, I believe, run its course. And while Clare has demonstrated a knack for describing city scenery, it was, if you'll pardon the expression, a breath of fresh air to be in a different environment.

Unfortunately, Clare is still plagued by the same problem that haunted her in the first two books: being too predictable when it comes to big twists. Clary and Jace aren't really siblings, but this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone; so many hints were dropped in "City of Ashes" and this book that I doubt anyone except for the characters themselves didn't see this coming. I had hoped after the first book that perhaps the author would take a risk and leave them as siblings, forcing them to abandon their romantic interest in one another and establish a different bond. But no, the predicted path was followed...and why else would Clare have pushed an incestuous relationship if it weren't going to turn out the way it did? Clary's real brother being Sebastian is also given away really early by Clary constantly thinking that she feels like she knows him even though she's never met him. Both of these are big revelations, but their shock factor is removed when they're made obvious early in the story.

Clary is a little more independent and active in this book. I was initially dismayed when her first big action was merely the result of her stubbornly wanting to plunge into Idris because she was angry at being left behind. However, after Luke, Jace, and others finally point out to her that making stupid decisions that endanger herself and others isn't really an attractive character quality, she seems to buckle down and think things through a little more. She manages to take control of the situation, using her unique abilities to devise a plan. This is where the character finally shined; I feel like we've been waiting for Clary to do something like this, taking charge instead of being passive. I was, however, a little saddened to see that a lot of her motivation to push on in the face of fear or danger still came from worrying about what Jace would think of her if she failed. At this point, I had hoped she'd care a bit more about the fate of humanity, of the Downworlders, and of this Shadowhunter world that has become so important to her and would be driven by that, not solely by whether a boy she likes would approve of her actions. Overall, though, her character took a turn in the right direction; it's great to see Clary being an active participant in the story rather than passively reacting to what's being thrown at her.

Oddly, while Clary's character leaps forward, Jace takes a step back. In the first two books, he's arrogant, overconfident, and reactionary. He's also brooding and emotional with a hint of snark. Here, he's mostly brooding and overly dramatic with a couple sarcastic comments thrown around. A majority of Jace's scenes consist of him whining and angsting, first because he can't be with Clary and later because he thinks he has demon blood running through his veins. The cocky charm he once held is gone, leaving a character prone to melodrama and putting himself in danger for over the top reasons.

Speaking of these two, they definitely work better apart in this book than they do together. As I said above, they aren't actually siblings, and therefore end up as a couple by the end of "City of Glass." Perhaps it's just because the incestuous overtone of their relationship tainted the coupling for me, but they aren't most compelling pairing ever. In fact, when they're together, they spend most of their time rehashing how much they want to be together, but can't or are declaring their love for one another. If they aren't partaking in either discussion, they're kissing or thinking about physical contact. It significantly slows the story down. At least when they're apart, they do things to move the plot forward. Together, they stall.

Simon surprised me. I didn't like him in the first two installments and felt that he was embarrassingly unnecessary with only a shoddy attempt made to flesh him out. He has a much clearer voice in this novel. This is possibly because he isn't pining over Clary anymore, but whatever the reason, it was great to see him make some difficult decisions despite not wanting anything to do with the situation. I actually found myself looking forward to Simon's side of the story because he actually moved himself forward without pages of introspection/whining about relationships. So, bravo Clare, you took a character that I didn't care for and made him the one I looked forward to the most.

Most of the other characters don't really stand out...aside from Magnus; he's too quirky and interesting to be ignored. We don't see a whole lot of Valentine this time around, but what we do see is pretty convincing; he still thinks that what he's doing is best and doesn't enjoy the bloodshed, he simply sees it as an unfortunate necessity. The other "bad" characters are too obvious to be convincing. All of the books in the series so far have had this problem: antagonists being so unabashedly evil and questionable that you're left wondering why no one ever figured it out before now.

All in all, despite my complaints, "City of Glass" is a satisfying conclusion to what was supposed to be a trilogy. The story ties up loose ends and is exciting enough to end the Valentine plot with a bang, even if the villain's demise itself was a bit of a let down. Really, the one thing that would have made this book better would have been to cut down on the relationship drama...and to have never have had Clary and Jace think they were siblings, as it cast a creepy feeling over the pairing, but that's more of a series related complaint than one specific to "City of Glass." As I finished this, I found myself questioning where the story can really go next? Jace and Clary are together, Valentine is dead, Alec and Magnus have come out about their relationship, Simon is friends with everyone, and Clary's mother has recovered. What else is there? Since Sebastian's body was never found, I'm going to assume he'll appear in the next book, but I guess we'll see. "City of Glass" gets three and a half stars from me. It's not quite as captivating as "City of Bones" but is a satisfying conclusion to the initially planned trilogy. Its frustrating, reoccurring problems, however, make me round it down to three.
on January 25, 2016
This was the best book in the series so far as it answered a lot of my questions and a few secrets were revealed that explained the characters better. Clary, Simon and Jace got the validation they needed and the story did not focus on just Jace and Clary and their tormented relationship. I wish someone would start training Clary so she could be a real shadow hunter and not just have to rely on her powers which are intermittent at best. Jace seemed the typical broody "woe is me" boyfriend and I much prefer him in the first book as he was more decisive and less moody than in this one. I do agree with another review that the plot line where they were thought to be brother and sister was unnecessary and only tainted the characters relationship going forward and it does play in the back of your mind sometimes. We were introduced to new characters and I really liked the Queen of the Fairies. She hinted at other secrets that Valentine neglected to mention. Cold and Calculating she did lack empathy yet once her condition was met, Clary was released and the love triangle was no more. Some plot lines were predictable and I would have liked a better fight scene for the evil Valentine and Sebastian but that is just my opinion. Simon has really come into his own and for a minor character he is quite interesting as there is a lot going on with him and I am curious to find out where he goes from here and who will he end up with. Overall it was a better book and although this was a trilogy in the beginning I am going to see where the characters go from here.
on March 20, 2016
This is the third book in the series. A lot of questions were answered. Yet something felt weird. Maybe because there was so much going on in such a short time. I felt overwhelmed with the amount of information and events going on all at once. I don’t know if the story should have been longer or what. Things seemed to blur at times. Yet I couldn’t put it down.

Stop here if you don’t some spoilers….

I was beyond relieved to discover Jace wasn’t Clare’s brother. But it seemed that once this was discovered, the feelings and interactions were still and not as emotional as I would have hoped. Because of that, I was not excited to get the next book though I did.

A good story but will have to hold off on a complete opinion until I read the next book. If you read the first two, you have to read this one to get some closure.

Note: I purchased this book with my own funds with no expectation of a positive review.
on June 6, 2014
This is by far the best in the series. Stayed up most of the night because I had to know what happened next. Couldn't just get to the next chapter.

Very cleverly written, each chapter building to the next. Even at the end of the book, when you finally get the "ah," moment and resolution, sought the entire series, you STILL wanted to keep reading into the next book. Clare outdid herself on this one. LOTS of drama, and enough climactic moments to keep you on tenterhooks through each page. I caught my breath through some parts, speedily rushing through because it was so good.

Of course, as is the case in real life, nothing can ever remain the same. The moment passes and then... well, that's the next book. :)
on September 24, 2013
Well, just as I suspected, Book 2 was just as fantastic as Book 1. With Book 2, you get to explore, a little more in depth, the relationship of Clary & Luke, Clary & Jace, Alec & Mangus, and well you get the picture.

"City of Ashes" takes Clary a little further down the proverbial rabbit hole as she learns more about her family's history of being a Shadowhunter; her ability to read, understand and even create runes; and dealing with the very mounting hatred for her father Valentine. As I don't like to give spoilers, All I can say is that if you loved/liked Book 1, Book 2 will be not disappoint you.

The thing I love the best about this series thus far, (I'm currently on Book 3), is the intricacies of young love, good v. evil and fantasy v. reality. As you're reading, you can't help but get lost in the characters lives and emotions. When this happens, you know you're in for a long night cause you find that you can't put the book down for even one second.

There is no doubt in my mind that I am true fan of the series and I can't wait to see where this road ends. Well enough about Book 2, time to get back to Book 3, "City of Glass."

Happy Reading Everyone!!